Episode 7: Dead Friendships (1/4)
53 3 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

⌏▫☆ Hwang EunHa◆▫. ¸

“Have you seen a spatial tear before?”

“No.”

“I’ve seen images of it. Not the real thing.”

A portal that leads to another new dimension. It’s something that can happen anytime, anywhere, a unique natural phenomena.

Some spatial tears were temporary, while some others derived from an unstable flux of energy may last decades or even centuries depending on how fast its resources are depleted.

“You’ve seen them from picture books?”

“Yeah, from picture books.”

“How about you, Mr. Liu?”

“Guys, know what? How about calling each other by first names? Don’t you think it’s a little distant to call each other by last names? Let’s be open here.”

Talk about charisma.

“Then, Liu ChaiWen, have you seen a spatial tear before?”

“That’s better, and er, no. I have not.”

“Hey, I think it’s cooked. Someone picked them up, I’ll toss in new ingredients.”

The soup was bubbling with fish pieces, mushroom, seaweed and tofu. I pushed new seaweed into the broth and grabbed a few slices of fish with my chopsticks.

Hotpot.

Ayumi suggested this for dinner. Everyone supported the decision.

“What do you think is inside of it?”

“Fish.”

“That’s not what I meant. I’m referring to the spatial tear!”

“Your death.”

“Son of a…”

The truth is, no one who had entered a spatial tear made it out to tell the end of it.

“I know you guys won’t do it, but seriously do not try to touch the tear alright, HaeLi-ssi? We don’t want to get into trouble.”

Ayumi said out of concern.

“Then we can at least try to throw a stick into it.”

“Hey, good idea!”

“It’s not everyday we get to see a real spatial tear you know?”

Still, the group was playful nonetheless. I took a sip of water.

“It’s a little late, but how about we introduce ourselves?”

I suggested.

With the exception of Ayumi, this was the first time I’m paired with the others in this squad. While I knew their names, I didn’t know much about their background.

“Self introductions… like what?”

“Oh, right. We still haven’t introduced ourselves.”

“Is that even necessary? You practically know our names right? And it’s even stitched on our uniforms.”

“I do think it’s important to have some background information of each individual to learn about their habits and personality. That way, it would be easier to resolve any conflict should it happen.”

“Well, that’s Commander Hwang’s daughter for you.”

Liu ChaiWen snapped his fingers.

“I think Hwang-nim is right, we should try to talk about ourselves a little.”

With Ayumi in support of my suggestion… the two Kims started off with their introduction.

“Alright boss. Then I’ll go first.”

Kim HaeLi and Kim Daiki. Both had the same first names, and if not for their introduction, I genuinely would’ve assumed they were siblings.

HaeLi-ssi joined the military because she wanted to one day become as brilliant as her elder sister, who held the position of a lieutenant. Feature-wise, HaeLi-ssi’s body was svelte, had sexy curves and voluptuous chests that I honestly admired.

Meanwhile, Daiki-ssi joined because he was simply interested in the military. It was a boy’s romance to sling guns and hunt down demons. He was the one with the wild hair and a rebellious vibe.

“Mr. ZhenKai?”

“My turn next? Alright.”

His voice had quite the nice ring to it.

Lin ZhenKai’s introduction was short and concise. Name, age, home, and purpose. He didn’t talk about his dreams, but he did speak about his admiration of those who had sacrificed themselves in battle.

“Alright. Nice to meet ya’al! My name is Liu ChaiWen!”

After that, we have the spry Liu ChaiWen. Dark brown hair, a low angled nose and tight chin. This guy… he’s the most handsome dude in our squad.

He said that he wanted to become an admiral someday. Besides basic military training, he was also actively keeping up with the latest information regarding ship operations, basic engineering and advanced CQC techniques.

As for Wang Ayumi…

“Um… can I talk about my favourite food instead?”

I was surprised Ayumi chose to close up about this.

“Is hotpot your favourite food then?”

“Eh, uh, yes. Thank you.”

HaeLi-ssi pulled the conversation elsewhere, the main topic went askew. I… should probably ask her why in private later.

“Last is the big shot herself, Hwang EunHa-nim. Please take it away.”

Daiki-ssi gestured towards me.

I sighed.

“To be fair at least, I’ll give an introduction even though I’m sure you lot already know who I am…”

And I didn’t need to even continue as they just exploded off into their imagination.

“Yes!”

“The daughter of the noble born Hell General!”

“Nobles don’t exist.”

“But she’s just got that air to her, you know?”

“You read too much into fantasy.”

The Hell General? Is that what the people think of my father?

“Hey, Hwang EunHa-nim, I know it sounds ridiculous, but I’ve heard that you can fly? Is that true?”

At Daiki-ssi’s question, their gazes deepened.

Naturally, a frown began forming on my face.

“Yes.”

I didn’t feel like lying was a good option here.

“So the rumours were true!”

Besides being the daughter of an influential figure, I was born special—to put it in other words, I’m a mutant.

This concludes the introduction of the surveillance squad.

.- ▫☆\*: .。 _ ▫.。.:*☆▫.-⌎

⁛ Origin Year 134, 11th of GuYu.

“Private Hwang EunHa reporting!”

“Cadet Kim HaeLi reporting!”

“Cadet Kim DaiKi present!”

“Cadet Liu ChaiWen reporting for duty!”

“Cadet Lin ZhenKai reporting!”

“Cadet Wang Ayumi reporting for duty! All members present sergeant!”

“Good. Ease up.”

“““Op!!”””

I am Hwang EunHa. An E-3 private in the ranks of the 1st United Army. I believe myself as an outstanding individual among the peers of my group.

It’s my dream and privilege to serve humanity as a soldier.

“Cadet Wang Ayumi.”

Sergeant Pang will be our squad leader for this coming operation.

“You will be second in command. Ensure that everyone is prepared and equipped to head out by tomorrow. Be here in the morning at 5 am sharp. I want no delays, understand?”

“Sir! May I speak my thoughts?”

Ayumi raised a question.

“What is it?”

“Why did you anoint me instead of Private Hwang EunHa?”

I’m clearly the most experienced cadet in the interim squad.

So why exactly did he choose Ayumi?

“I believe it is important to give equal chances to everyone.”

He said. Then turning to me.

“Private Hwang, you have no problems with my decision I hope?”

“No sir.”

And there we have it. I also trust Ayumi. She and I have been squad mates in a number of past missions, so I was comfortable with her taking the lead in this.

“Right. So does anyone else have any questions regarding our mission for tomorrow? You may speak.”

“No sir!”

“No questions here sir!”

“Even if we do have any questions, it’s not too late to ask it when it happens. Right?”

“Questions are always welcomed. In any case—squad!!”

“““Op!!”””

“Fall out!!”

“““Op!!”””

The mission tomorrow was simple. A regular scouting of a spatial fracture in the mountain forest of HuaShang Outpost. It’s a routine thing the military guarding this island has to do twice per week.

The difficulty of this mission was… negligible. No more than a simple hike.

“Private Hwang, stay back for a bit.”

“Yes?”

I was just about to leave the field when Sergeant Pang called out. Ayumi, and the other squad members had their gazes on me.

“Hwang Eunha-nim. We’ll see you at base.”

Ayumi said, prodding the rest to leave along with her.

“Alright. Thank you Ayumi.”

I turned to the Sergeant once their presence had left.

He scratched his dark blue hair awkwardly.

“Well. Where should I begin…”

“Maybe we can begin by telling me what do you want to talk about, sergeant?”

“Then, how about the recent battle at Horyuji?”

…The Battle of Horyuji. Seriously?

“I heard that you contributed the most in the fight?”

What? Me? No.

That’s a farce. A damn lie.

“I’m sorry, but I think you’re greatly mistaken…”

Before I could finish speaking, Sergeant Pang abruptly placed his hand on my shoulders.

“It’s not your fault.”

I bit the inner side of my lips.

“Now then. I hope you use that experience of yours to help sharpen the senses of your squadmates. This mission isn’t as dangerous as the one you fell into last time, so you can take it easy.”

“Are all sergeants as nonchalant as you?”

“How many times do you think I’ve walked that trail with you greenhorns, huh?”

“Yeah…”

“Be sure to tell the rest to do their best. I may seem like this, but I’m quite strict, you know?”

“Alright.”

How I wished that was the case. A sergeant like him, how strict could he be?

¸☆▫.-.- ▫☆\*: .。 _ ▫.。.:*

“Wah. The room here is better than expected!”

We were finally assigned a temporary dormitory after the brief roll call. HaeLi-ssi squealed in excitement and jumped right on the bed.

A cabin of six. The exact number to fit the squad of us.

“I’ll be taking this lower bed.”

“I’ll take the top then.”

“You guys pick the beds, it’s not like we’re going to be here forever. I’ll take this desk instead!”

“Then I’ll pick this cupboard! Perfect for my clothes!”

It’s been a while since I’ve seen a dorm this lively. How characteristic of them. I turned to Ayumi.

“Which bed are you going to take?”

“Well, how about that one?”

The bunk beds were triple deckers, and the arrangement resolved into one side male, one side female. I took the highest bed on the girl’s side.

“Say, do you guys play games before you sleep?”

Daiki-ssi asked.

“You play games?”

“Cards, dice, board games.”

“No. I usually read a good book.”

“What book?”

“Prana Mechanics.”

“No, no. I’m not good with those.”

Mr. ChaiWen, sounding like a smart ass, had his nose buried in his study. Left was Daiki-ssi and HaeLi-ssi playing cards in the business of gambling their possessions away.

Mr. ZhenKai took his towel.

“Then I’ll go take a bath, see you guys.”

And left first.

That prompted me to think the same.

“Ayumi?”

I called out to our squad’s leader-in-command. She was silently tucked away in the middle bunk, already busy drawing away on a sketchbook.

“A-y-u-m-i…”

I called out to her again, at a closer distance this time.

She blankly lifted her head to look at me. With a delayed response…

“Ah, yes, what is it?”

“…What are you drawing?”

“Drawing.”

After a miffed delay, she flashed her sketchbook towards me.

Clothing designs, gun parts, and mechanical joints. Concept sketches as they were called. For the level of details she puts into her sketches, these random doodles were nothing to scoff at.

“They’re good.”

“Haha. Thanks.”

“Ms. Ayumi, EunHa-nim, you should join us! The game is getting quite heated!”

Sorry Daiki-ssi. Not interested.

“No, it’s alright.”

“Come on! Just one round!”

“Ayumi, want to go to the bath house with me?”

Staying here would only create more nuisance, so I thought maybe it would be better if we left.

“Ah, hold on, I just want to complete this last part—”

It’s been a while since I last saw Ayumi properly. I wanted to ask how she was doing.

-☆▫.-▫.。.:* ▫⌎.☆\*: .。 ▫.-

The place was steamy and busy, with many females wrapped in a cloth or nothing at all, chatting away with one another. I’d have no conversation partner otherwise if I didn’t have Ayumi by my side.

“Uh, thank you.”

“Don’t mention it.”

I offered to clean Ayumi’s hair.

Her hair was a beautiful shade of moonlight blue. Straight at the base, and then slightly curly at the fringe. I don’t think she permed her hair, how unusual.

“Your hair is beautiful, you know that right?”

Being so close and seeing just how tiny she was made me question how she carried so much military equipment with such a small body.

“Y-You think so?”

“I really think so. If you let it grow a little longer, I think you can go to the salon and tell them to curl your hair. It would suit you.”

Ayumi’s hair slightly touched her shoulder. For a girl, it was neither long nor short.

She then lowered her head and said.

“EunHa-ssi. I’m sorry if I can’t fulfil my role as the leader well.”

I’ve been her superior in past missions. So this is the first time she held a position above mine.

Still, I don’t think she should devalue herself in this way.

“Personally, I think you’ll do fine as a leader.”

“But I… I’m still inexperienced. Not like you.”

“What do you mean? I’m still a greenhorn, you know?”

I mean it really. After all, we were still budding cadets. The learning process is still long.

“You were there at the Battle of Horyuji, right? When I heard the story I was afraid that… you would definitely quit the military after going through all that, but it seems…”

“…It’s not a lie that I almost gave up…”

“…You’re still here, standing.”

What people assume to be a heroic tale of sacrifice was a mistake that cost that many lives.

“Was it scary?”

She asked.

Was it scary?

To be frank, it was horrifying.

“I’m glad you managed to survive.”

“…Thank you.”

My head hurts.

Ayumi turned around and looked at me. Her gaze held me.

“My brother died.”

Sky blue hair, turquoise eyes, that same sleepy look. If only she wore her glasses like Chief Wang then… ah.

“Can you tell me what happened that day?”

How didn’t I not notice, she is…

◜\⌝▫◆▫.

Cloud Hives are giant nests of corrupted marine life. They congregate and turn themselves into a self containing ecosystem, one that was parasitic in nature.

The common laws of prey and predator don’t obey in a Cloud Hive’s ecosphere. Normal marine life like Cloud Sharks and Sky Tuna that were supposed to be in a prey-predator relationship will work together once infected to expand the hive as if guided by some inherent ordinance.

It happened around five months ago.

Bearing 34∘, 30 kilometres out from Horyuji Outpost, a Cloud Hive which spanned several kilometres had been detected. A team was sent to perform reconnaissance in order to gather information about the Cloud Hive. It was an emergency that required utmost attention.

A queen-class demonica had leaked past the Second Stratum defence line and built a nest in the Third Stratum. This was the first time a Hive of this scale had been seen here. So a reconnaissance team was sent to do a pre-assessment.

The operation consisted of nothing more than to complete some measurements and composition diagnostics off the coast of the Horyuji’s Satellite region.

I was meant to be a witness in the battle of Horyuji, not a participant.

But my brother put me on spot. So against my better judgement, I took Chief Wang KeZhi’s offer and joined the scouting mission.

They said it was safe, so it didn’t make sense.

…Even though they were all veteran soldiers at their peak.

…Even though the plans were perfect.

Some unknown factor just had to creep in and ruin everything.

That factor was me.

I was the only one who survived in the end.

2