Episode 1: A Reason to Die (3/3)
378 0 18
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Ms. Chu cleared her work schedule for my sake. I heard that the only reason their squad had been posted to Fortress 13 was for the sake of ensuring my death.

“So, what do you want to do with the remainder of your time?”

She asked.

Was there anything I should be looking forward to?

My death obviously, but that aside, did I want to do anything before the end of my life?

Honestly, I think it’s enough that I got to see the Fortress.

“Is there anything I should do?”

I asked back.

She showed a troubled smile.

“I’m sorry I’m not as assertive as Rize-chan.”

“No. There’s no need to be sorry. I think I prefer it this way, she’s too noisy.”

I followed Ms. Chu aimlessly. Wandering the hall one moment, taking a stroll on the open platform the next.

We admired the airships in the sky, and the giant blue whales that seemed to drift with the breeze of the wind.

The both of us came to a coral garden. Tall lush seaweed and kelp towering over the short vibrant corals. A walkway cut through the centre.

“Why do they have something like this here? Won’t it be a place for demonica to hide?”

“You find this in every Fortress, nature is a good place to heal. Too much concrete can be bad for one’s health.”

Although not as direct as Rize-chan, I felt an unwanted hopefulness from her words.

“Want to take a walk?”

“Alright.”

Whatever it was, since I was going to die, I might as well spend my time to the fullest.

We step foot into the garden.

I observed the swaying leaves of kelp, bubbles that form on the Staghorn Coral, anemones that small clown fishes called home, and the krill that hid between the spaces of Montipora Coral.

It seemed that we weren’t the only ones here as we bumped into many other soldiers who, like ourselves, were taking a stroll to relax their minds.

There was an arbour in the centre of the garden. A small squad could be seen diligently discussing something.

When they saw Ms. Chu, they waved and greeted with warm smiles.

I simply lowered my head and passed.

To think that people could still smile on the battlefield like this…

“If possible, I’d like if you could reconsider your decision.”

Ms. Chu suddenly said.

“I don’t know what you were thinking when you made this decision. I think it’s truly foolish to end your life like this.”

Ah?

Really now…

Reconsider?

Now of all times?

I’ve already parted with everything important to me, there was nothing to reconsider.

“It’s too late. I’ve already resolved to die for the world.”

“It’s a vain death.”

“You don’t know anything.”

She doesn’t understand a thing, so it would make sense why she’d call it a pointless death.

Claiming an opinion without knowing the truth behind it. It’s quite laughable.

I wouldn’t have made this choice to begin with if my death actually meant nothing.

If it were as simple as self-deprecation and depression, heck, that would be easy to fix.

Does she know how many people would die because of me? The kind of ruin the world awaits in the future if I continue to live?

The things I had to leave behind, the sacrifices I had to make, and the bitterness I had to endure to come to this decision?

She knew nothing of it.

Nothing.

She can advise me all she wants.

Because in the end, if not by her hands, I will surely die by my own.

“You’re the one who… "

“All units prepare for battle. Category 2 Hive, bearing 293 degrees from the bow, engagement in 30 minutes. General composition: lesser demonica and Colossal-class demonica of Short Whales and Bloodfin Orcas. No sentient-class, the possibility of swarm-class demonica is unconfirmed. I repeat. All units prepare for battle. Category 2 Hive bearing 293 degrees…”

The speakers boomed. A loud siren alarm pierced the atmosphere.

Troops rushed from the Castle entrances, gun stands, barrels and ballistae were quickly raised along the platforms.

“I’ll bring you back to your room.”

For various reasons, adrenaline pumped through my veins, blood rushed to my head.

“It’s dangerous out here.”

Dangerous?

Ms. Chu, I don’t know if you’re stupid or inhumane. Don’t you know what you came here for?

To retreat from battle on the excuse that it was dangerous? I’ve sloughed through so many near-death experiences, do you think I would be swayed by those weak words?

Are you seriously no different from Rize-chan?

“Staff Sergeant Chu.”

Something snapped inside me. I stared at her.

“Don’t forget your main objective.”

I get the freedom to decide how I want to die.

“You have no reason to stop me.”

Either I die from a bullet to the head, or in battle.

“So stop bullshiting me with your sympathy.”

Let me end my life in peace.

-☆▫.-▫.。.:* ▫⌎.☆\*: .。 ▫.-

The Cloud Hive drew close.

I left Ms. Chu and borrowed a gun from the weapon repository with the permission of the staff in charge.

I was only allowed a basic AP-rifle thanks to my ‘inmate status’.

Whatever. An AP-rifle was good enough. With a red dot sight and multiple magazines, I should be able to take a few hundred of them down with me.

“I don’t know what you’re thinking, but stay safe out there.”

The weapons sergeant said.

“Thank you.”

Thank you for saying something so thoughtless.

◜\⌝▫◆▫.

Monsters, demons, sea daemon, demonica—

There were many names to call them.

Before humanity was thrown into this fragmented world, marine life didn’t exist as creatures of the sky. They existed in a place known as the ocean. The ocean is a vast pool of salt water that covered almost 70 percent of a planet known as Earth.

Marine life had special organs that allowed them to thrive in these large salty pools of liquid. They utilised the principle of buoyancy and had floaters within their bodies to navigate the watery world.

Science couldn’t explain the resulting causality that altered the biology of these ‘sea creatures’. Modified lung gills replaced filament gills. Floaters were in fact reservoir stores of prana.

The same went for sea plants like coral and seaweed. It was said that living on land should’ve been impossible for them.

While I may not know how different current marine life was from those in ancient Earth, it didn’t change the fact that killing marine life was essential to human survival.

Hell.

The origin of all sea demons. An unexplored region further below the Zeroth Stratum.

No one knew exactly how they came into existence.

However, demonica can be summed up as marine life turned into zombies. The causality had nothing to do with pathogens. When researchers compared non-demon variants to the original demonica, the key difference found was the change in cells. Like cancer.

Across the same species, cells mutate in the same way. These mutated cells spread, first causing internal changes, before manifesting as external changes in appearance.

It’s from this chain reaction of ‘infection’ that demonica are born in mass.

Humans were resistant to these cell changes. So coming into contact with these demon cells posed no threat.

But that didn’t mean we were safe from them.

“AAHHHHHHH!!!!”

A Short Whale slammed on deck.

The sounds of bones cracking.

Their robust bodies and rock-hard skin made them perfect front-line tanks. Soldiers that moved away too late were crushed underneath.

Weak bullets couldn’t penetrate the skin. And electric batons only bent at the force.

Multiple harpoons were fired from the ballistae, stabbing deep into the whale. Mechanical gears spun to drag it in, and high electrical current fried their prana organs. The colossal-class demonica thrashed around.

Another ballista fired, this time, stabbing through its eyes and entering its brain.

Without giving it a second glance, I finished reloading my AP-rifle and shifted focus.

A ghastly swarm of Jawfish made their appearance to my left.

I quickly switched focus and rained hell on the charging horde.

21 kills, 19 bullets.

Efficiency matters when magazines can only hold limited rounds.

My hand reached into the pocket.

I clicked my tongue.

I was on my last.

And the Cloud Hive was still coming strong.

This was my first experience of holding fort in a Fortress. So I had no idea a mere Category 2 Hive was this big.

I had chewed through at least 30 extended magazines of 100 rounds, borrowing from ammunition boxes I found along the way. The battle had gone on for almost thirty minutes, and it showed no signs of ending.

From the ground to the air. Demonica covered my view like rainfall.

A shadow appeared over my head.

I quickly rolled away.

A Bloodfin Orca which had been killed a hundred metres up dropped dead, splattering its guts all over.

Airships in the distance continued firing guns, working in a coordinated fashion to bait and break the Cloud Hive up into smaller pieces.

Every hive has a queen. This one particularly refused to show itself.

The demonica were being weathered down bit by bit.

“Help! HELLP!!! AHH!!”

I pulled the trigger and ended the lives of Beak Octopuses that tried to impale a fallen soldier.

I grabbed his underarm and pulled his arm over my shoulder. Supporting him by the shoulders, we limped towards safety.

Another Short Whale rushed towards the deck.

The impact shook the ground.

“Damn it—”

The horde of Jawfish which had arrived untethered themselves from the Short Whale and swarmed the nearby soldiers.

“Sorry—”

I stole his bayonet and pushed him away.

“I’ll hold them. Save yourself.”

My skin began to glow and tingle. My veins visibly shone, a pair of blue halo wing-like projections appeared behind me.

Normally I don’t do this because it’s dangerous.

But well, I planned to die here anyway so it doesn’t matter.

My feet lifted off the ground.

I was flying.

Flying just like these monsters.

I held the bayonet as if it were a sword.

The blade of the gun tore through flesh.

Escaping the jaws of a Short Whale.

Pulling the trigger to expel the brain contents of a Bloodfin Orca.

Jawfish snuck up from behind and bit my uniform.

A Beak Octopus clung onto my shoulder, it stabbed its beak deep into my muscles.

I slammed the head of the octopus with the stock of the bayonet.

The wet sensation of blood glided across my skin. The pain continued to spread.

But I hadn’t a moment to spare.

The shadow of death loomed over me.

I dropped my altitude and evaded.

When I was a child, I thought being able to fly made me a hero. I was, after all, the first recorded instance of organic flight in humans.

A Short Whale snapped its jaws where I was last in position. Continuing down, it slammed onto the ground.

Without a second moment, it kicked off and charged at me once more.

I aimed at its eyes. Pulling the trigger repeatedly, until an empty clicking sound resounded.

A swarm of Jawfish made their way into my sphere.

The bayonet now empty, I resorted to the blade. I cut down two, the other five successfully grab hold of parts of my clothes and hair, refusing to let go.

Their combined strength thrashed me around in the sky.

The Short Whale closed the distance and opened its jaw.

I forcefully erupt the prana in my body.

A tingling cold sensation spread through my chest as I overpowered the Jawfish’s crucifixion with that split burst of acceleration.

As a warm-blooded mammal possessing an organ suited for cold-blooded animals. Naturally, my body was weak to the cold.

Flying came with a cost. The more I use it, the colder my body becomes.

I dodged the Short Whale.

The Jawfish which clung to my hair pulled, forcing my head to the back.

I lost control of my flight and plunged to the ground.

The impact knocked the wind out of my lungs. Pain spread through my shoulder and neck where I braced the impact.

And from the peripheral of my vision, I saw a bloodied Bloodfin Orca.

It came with its jaws wide open.

Unlike other humans, I had a reservoir organ, the same ones that marine life used to fly. The concentration of prana within my bloodstream also exceeded normal values by an extreme degree. It was at a level that would otherwise be poison to a normal person.

My biology had some resemblance to that of marine life. So as long as my body maintained a consistent emission of prana, I would be seen as a creature they had to infect.

This made me much more attractive than normal humans.

It also made me a giant magnet for these creatures.

A lingering emptiness where my now-gone engagement ring was.

It was a matching ring he made especially so that I could fly without worry. It had the effect of absorbing prana emissions, thus masking my ‘scent’ from these monsters.

I returned it to XiaoLe before I came here.

So.

I watched my life flash by.

I don’t regret anything.

Sorry Kenji.

◜\⌝▫◆▫.

This was atonement.

I fully expect my death.

It didn’t matter how I died.

As long as I did.

Before he wakes up in the hospital.

Before he tries to save me.

The Bloodfin Orca’s wide jaw covered my view.

I resigned to fate.

If this was my end, then I shall accept it with grace.

“EEUUNHHAAAA!!!!”

A cute yell.

Her fist smashed into the side of the demonica.

A comical sight where the whole body of the giant caved in from the single attack of a soldier ten times smaller than itself.

And then it flew far into the distance.

“Are you alright?!”

Black blood and white steam oozed from her hand and shoulder.

My body trembled.

It trembled greatly.

I should be dead.

I should be dead.

Dead.

Dead.

I came here for this reason.

TO DIE.

I didn’t decide to end my life half-assed.

It was a decision I fully understood the consequences of.

I’ve prepared myself mentally and physically for this.

All the things I left behind.

For this perfect opportunity.

The fulfilment of my life’s mission.

To protect everyone from this curse I am.

Fate—did it no longer want me to die?

God, why are you so cruel to me?

If I’m such a sinner, why don’t you let me just die?

And grant me judgement in hell?

Why…

“EunHa! Stop staring in a daze and get your feet moving!!!”

“…No, you why, I…”

“It’s not the right time! Ugh?!”

The sword in her hands flashed with a unique swordplay that I can only call beautiful.

Burdened by the ongoing battle, she had no choice but to fend off the coming swarm that circled around us.

Almost a hundred Beak Octopuses and Jawfish met their ends by her hand.

And more was still to come.

With her attention elsewhere.

I took my chance.

I grabbed the bayonet.

But arms went limp, and fingers slipped.

I tried again.

Holding the gun in reverse, wanting to point the blade point towards myself.

But again, it ran from my hands.

Please.

Quickly.

Before I change my mind.

Tears streamed down my cheeks.

Stab me.

Kill me.

If the world won’t end me.

I will.

I’ll do it.

I’ll do it myself.

SO WHY CAN’T YOU JUST PICK UP THE FUCKING GUN EUNHA?!

PICK IT UP!

PICK IT UPPP!!!

The gun flew far, far away.

She kicked it.

Ah—

“Listen here you.”

She grabbed my collar and propped me up to meet her eyes.

Her small stature belied the might contained within her fists.

Her entire body drenched in black blood, the pungent stench stung my nose.

And her riveting eyes I couldn’t look away from.

“The only person allowed to kill you is me! Understand?!”

I knew instinctively then that,

Again.

Yet again.

Things have gone wrong.

Things have gone very wrong because of me.

¸☆▫.-.- ▫☆\*: .。 _ ▫.。.:*

“What do the casualty reports say?”

The main squad members in charge of EunHa’s execution were gathered around a table.

First Sergeant Hai took the lead with the question, Ms. Chu who had collected the data reported the results.

“No. There has been no particular difference in casualty rate and injury rates in comparison to the average of past records.”

Of the five thousand operation crew and soldiers manning Fortress 13, there were 3 deaths and 50 injured from that single engagement. The deceased will be sent to the onboard mortuary to be processed before receiving proper burial mainland.

Those injured are being treated in the infirmary. And depending on the degree of their injuries, they may no longer be able to serve in the front lines.

“So it’s all a lie after all?”

Vice Admiral, Mr. Chen QiangWei posed the question.

“It may have been a political scheme.”

Gunnery Sergeant, Shun Kato shook his head.

A girl who had a significant background in the army—Hwang EunHa. She was the only daughter of Lieutenant Commander Hwang JaeHyun. Her brother holds the rank of Senior Chief Petty Officer.

She also possesses direct connections to other influential people like War Saint Wu XiaoLe and Commander Lan Haru.

“Here are the incident reports of her past battles, and the disasters entailed.”

Ms. Chu Lili continued.

Among the many issues that have been tagged to her name, the two most notable ones were: The Battle of Horyuji and Jeonju’s Annihilation.

In the Battle of Horyuji, she joined a scout team to assess the size of a Cloud Hive as a preliminary step. The scout team all died except EunHa. The Cloud Hive was able to split and escape before complete annihilation. The remnant effects of stray demonica that continue to infect other creatures can still be felt today.

Second was the Battle of JeonJu. She was among the only two survivors among a crew of a thousand as part of the fleet which directly served to bait the Cloud Hives into position for concentrated assault. In the end, the City of JeonJu was led to ruin despite the army’s efforts. Fortunately, they were able to evacuate most people before annihilation.

At a quick glance, EunHa had been directly involved in many missions that could’ve greatly changed humanity’s fate. While the losses were great, the ultimate outcome of it had been beneficial.

Politics or otherwise, the psychological burden placed on a soldier like EunHa explained a lot about her negative outlook on life.

But, wasn’t it simply too pitiful that the army had been blind to her contributions all along?

“Personally I think it’s ridiculous that they label her as a bad omen. Just because she was the only survivor in most missions, did they have to come to such a conclusion?”

She was believed to cause disaster wherever she went. Such superstition was so strong that Fortress 13 had been requested to be reinforced with their troops for the duration she would be staying.

The results were clear after experiencing their first battle on Fortress 13. She did not create any unusual outcomes in the flow of battle, unlike what the letter had described of her.

“Ridiculous.”

The conclusion they came to was that she served as a political, or religious scapegoat to satisfy those that were unhappy about her.

“How did we end up being pushed with such a mission anyways?”

“Ask Rize-chan. She’s the one that always puts us in weird situations.”

“Talk about it.”

Truly. If anyone wished for a person whose presence created trouble, Tatsuki Rize was the person to look for.

“It’s totally unfair to kill her in this situation right?”

“But those are the orders given. We can’t not just kill her. Worse, it’s an order directly from Commander Lan himself.”

“Rize-chan may perhaps hold a clue.”

“Do you really think she’s going to kill that girl?”

“Enough. So where is that girl?”

First Sergeant Hai held back the urge to massage his head and asked the truly important question.

“I think she’s tending to the victim right now.”

-☆▫.-▫.。.:* ▫⌎.☆\*: .。 ▫.-

The Black Siren.

Rize-chan.

Some parts of the legend were true, others were not.

As explained by Ms. Chu, Rize-chan was completely human. She knew how to sing, but it was rubbish.

The story about watching someone rip themselves apart was actually referring to her ability to elicit sentient-class demonica to commit suicide. She hadn’t actually killed a soldier with her abilities.

When I opened my eyes, I found myself back in my room. The evening lights poured in through the bars of the window, and naturally, I had to squint my eyes.

“I don’t know if it’s true but, it wouldn’t be a stretch to say that she could possibly do the same to a human too.”

I recalled Ms. Chu’s words.

I tried to move, but found that my limbs had been bound to the four corners of the bed with silk cloth.

“You’re finally awake.”

My body trembled at the voice that echoed.

Carefully, I turned my head to her.

She climbed onto the bed and looked at me from on top.

“How do you feel?”

The Black Siren asked.

Words failed to describe the sensation I felt.

I couldn’t speak.

I didn’t know how to.

“Hm, maybe you’re still sleepy.”

She reached for my shoulder and gently touched it.

“The wound was quite deep. Try not to move your shoulders too much.”

I can’t move it even if I wanted to.

“Don’t worry about the toxins. I’ve given you an antibiotic shot to prevent anything bad from happening to your body.”

Her hands went from my shoulder to my face. She parted the hair that covered one side of my eye.

“Well, it’s about dinner time, do you think you can eat?”

Her golden eyes dazzled eerily.

I couldn’t tell what she was thinking.

My executioner.

The Black Siren.

I had realised that fate wished for me to suffer even till my last breath.

It must be fun for her, watching me wither away like this. Tending to me lovingly, fattening me up with sweet words and deceits before finally slaughtering me.

It must be such joy.

How wonderful—

If this was what I needed to put up with to reach my story’s end, I would endure.

I will endure.

For a better world.

“…Okay.”

I said weakly with a nod.

“I’ll quickly go get it for you.”

A smile blossomed on her face.

.- ▫☆\*: .。 _ ▫.。.:*☆▫.-

Rize carefully shut the door behind her.

Staff Sergeant Chu Lili who had been waiting outside, greeted Rize.

“How is she?”

“She’s awake. She said she wants to eat something so maybe I’ll try to make some porridge for her.”

“To think you’d go so far for her…”

Chu Lili tousled Rize’s hair.

“Thanks!”

She grinned.

Rize noticed a shadow to her smile.

“Is there anything bothering you Ms. Lili?”

“Oh, um. Nothing.”

Rize narrowed her eyes. Chu Lili sighed, knowing it was pointless to hide anything from her once she noticed.

“She’s quite pitiful, isn’t she?”

She said, looking at the door.

“Maybe.”

“Maybe?”

“Because I’m here, her life wouldn’t be so pitiful anymore.”

Rize’s confident words struck a curious thought in Ms. Chu.

Perhaps.

Perhaps if it was Rize-chan… maybe.

Just maybe, EunHa’s life could be—

“Rize-chan.”

“Yes?”

“Do you… really wish to kill her?”

Chu Lili looked at Rize’s arm.

Outwardly, there seemed to be nothing wrong. But, underneath the sleeve was a splint supporting her fractured bone.

If Rize had any intentions to kill EunHa, she wouldn’t have broken her arms for her.

From the day Rize met EunHa, none of her actions reflected that of a person whose desire was to kill.

A smile danced on Rize’s lips.

“Don’t tell papa, or anyone else about it yet, okay?”

Chu Lili wanted to say that they already knew, but she decided to keep it a secret for now.

With a smile and nod, she felt the heavy emotions in her heart lighten.

18