Episode 2: Last Wish (3/4)
206 3 11
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Rize-chan, I’m going to do an audit of the ships, want to come along?”

Vice Admiral Chen QiangWei asked.

“No thank you. I have to watch out for EunHa-san. I don’t know if she’ll try to hurt herself if I’m not there for her.”

“Ms. Chu said she’ll help look after her for a bit. Don’t worry about that.”

“Really?”

“Yes, really. My crew wants to see you too. It’s been a while, they’ve been asking where the cute Rize-chan has gone…”

Rize gave Chen QiangWei a suspicious stare.

From how they insisted Rize to pick up the gelato to how the chef purposely slowed down the preparation… she couldn’t help but feel like a fool. Not to mention, EunHa was crying when she returned.

“Tell me.”

“Tell you what?”

“What did you guys say to EunHa-san while I was away?”

“Eh…”

Her chilly expression intensified. Cold sweat formed on his forehead.

Snap. Snap.

“So that’s what they told her?”

Cinnamon the turtle said something, QiangWei couldn’t understand a word it snapped so he began to panic.

Snap. Snap.

Trying to restrain Cinnamon now would be suspicious. If the sky turtle said what he shouldn’t have then… everything would be over!

“You told her about my arm huh? You idiots! She’ll start blaming herself that I got injured! I have to see her now!”

“No, wait. Rize-chan!”

“I’m glad that all of you are in it to protect her, but she’ll only try to do worse. The root problem isn’t the deadline, it’s her mental state. It’s pointless if we don’t change the way she thinks!”

“Rize-chan, just give Ms. Hwang a break. She said she’s uncomfortable around you and feels like she’s being constrained by your care!”

“Shut up!”

“Rize!”

She left QiangWei and headed for EunHa’s room. However, when she unlocked the door…

“…!”

The room was empty.

-☆▫.-▫.。.:* ▫⌎.☆\*: .。 ▫.-

“It’s not as spacious, but it could fit the both of us. It’s not too uncomfortable for you is it now?”

“It’s fine.”

Ms. Chu was busy with a lot of work, so she wouldn’t be able to visit me if I continued to stay in my room alone. So in order to fulfil both duties properly, she moved me to her personal cabin.

Despite being the Staff Sergeant, she was playing a role similar to that of a secretary for some reason. She processed letters, orders, and arranged them into schedules and plans. It would later be distributed to those dictated.

I noticed a picture frame sitting beside her desk. It was a family photo of her, her husband and two children.

“When was this taken?”

“Hm? Oh, a few months ago.”

“And you’re still working?”

“It’s not like I have to move my body physically. Just paperwork.”

“Still… to leave your family at home like this…”

“I know.”

She said with a smile full of affection.

“That’s why I plan to retire soon.”

Ah. Her gentle eyes… so this is what being a mother looks like.

Certainly, she had the qualities. She was someone who understood what it meant to love and be loved…

I sat on the bed silently as I watched her tap away on the keyboard. I had no experience with filling out forms and tabulating data, so I remained as quiet as I could to not disturb her.

Honestly, reflecting on it all, I hadn’t expected the last few days of my life to feel so meaningful. To leave all my future experiences behind for humanity… I was starting to doubt if it was the right choice?

I can’t believe their persuasion was beginning to work.

It was ridiculous… I should just die.

Stop forcing yourself.

It’s fine to stop.

You’ll be safe.

I promise.

I’ll protect you.

EunHa.

I…

I wish there was another way…

“Lay down properly now if you want to sleep. It’s bad posture to sleep like this.”

“Mn..?”

Ms. Chu shook my shoulders gently. Only then did I notice I was dozing off upright. I rolled over and flattened myself on the bed. She pulled the blanket over me.

The sun hadn’t even set, and I’m already sleepy.

“Good night.”

Ms. Chu said.

“Good…”

Good night, Ms. Chu.

.- ▫☆\*: .。 _ ▫.。.:*☆▫.-

“Just where in the world did Ms. Lili bring her?”

Rize pondered. QiangWei saw it as his chance.

“For now, how about we give her some space? Let’s leave it to Ms. Chu, I’m sure she’ll be safe in her hands.”

“Mwu. I’m afraid she will try to kill herself before we can make a change in her mental state.”

“I’m sure Ms. Chu is already aware of this problem. She’ll figure something out. Let’s trust in her alright?”

“But…”

“You don’t want to make Ms. Hwang hate you right?

“…Ugh.”

“Right?”

“Righttt…”

Reluctantly, Rize conceded.

She had ascertained that no one had any intentions of killing EunHa. So it was safe to say that instead of an execution squad, they had become a rehabilitation team.

It was important for EunHa to mix with other people. And knowing Ms. Chu, Rize believed that she would be able to give that last push to change her heart.

There was a limit to what a single person could do.

QiangWei heaved a sign internally.

“Now, my fleet is waiting for us. We need to get on board.”

“Fine, fine. Lead the way, future admiral.”

“Yeah, yeah.”

◜\⌝▫◆▫.

QiangWei didn’t hate EunHa. But that didn’t mean he particularly liked her either. He was the kind to treat those within his circle of comrades kindly, while harsh to those that brought any possibility of harm to those he cared for.

He didn’t consider EunHa an ally. If anything, he found her a spot for sore eyes. Worse, this girl was taking away all of Rize’s attention.

It was a secret known by few—QiangWei had a crush.

But there were two problems.

The first was that this person was underage. So until she was at the marriageable age of 15, he would ensure her safety. His goal of receiving the rank of Admiral and owning his own fleet was for her sake.

The second problem was that she didn’t seem to show any signs of special interest towards him.

At first, he thought it was because she hadn’t reached an age where she could feel love. But after further contemplation, he thought that couldn’t be true.

She was an adult in a child’s body. Her knowledge of what it meant to be in love likely surpassed that of his own.

“Rize-chan, is there anything you would like to eat for dinner?”

“Dinner onboard? Now ain’t that fancy.”

Snap. Snap.

“Hehe. Cinnamon is excited too.”

“Of course.”

“How about snacking on some fruits while you do your audits? I don’t want to take up too much of your time. I’ll feed you while I’m at it too!”

Feed you while I’m at it.

QiangWei’s smile twitched involuntarily. Rize, who had always been impulsive, didn’t pay much mind.

Problem number three about this girl: she was dense.

“Where’s the ship pantry?”

“Calm down, Rize-chan, we’ll get there eventually.”

Before that, it was important they met with the captain of this ship.

The audit would involve the seven airships of the fleet, so it would likely take up to a day to complete.

He had complete confidence that Rize would complain about it. And that was exactly the gap he was aiming for.

Since the airships had already left the dock, she couldn’t return to the Fortress even if she wanted to.

In that way, he would ensure that she was kept away from EunHa.

◜\⌝▫◆▫.

Rize held a basket of sea vegetables and fruits in one bowl, a piece of starfruit pierced in the fork on another.

Following behind them were the captain and crew of the ship. QiangWei inspected various sites, asking questions regarding management protocol and revision of safety systems that were in place.

They came to the cockpit area. Rize took a seat on the captain’s chair (without consent) and munched on dried seaweed sticks as she admired the scenery.

“Wow, it’s so starry outside.”

Gazing out at the field of distant stars, small dots of lights scattered about. Each tiny speck of light representing individual airships that filled the sky.

“Show me the crew member reports, ship maintenance logs, and communication resource logs.”

“Yes sir.”

Meanwhile, Vice Admiral Chen QiangWei was working hard, sifting through important documents onboard and ensuring his men were in order.

“We’re so far away…”

Rize-chan mulled. From the glass windows that showed the entire sky view, Fortress 13 looked like a miniature castle model.

◜\⌝▫◆▫.

They stepped out onto the open deck. Rize braced herself by holding onto one of the rails. The strong night wind blew against their uniform.

She looked straight up. Far out in the distance, the size of her palm, she could see Fortress 13.

They were truly far from the rest.

Her long black hair swept into a gentle dance. Like precious jewels, her golden eyes sparkled brightly, illuminating even the darkest corners of the night. Befitting the title of a Black Siren, even her profile gave off a charm that truly dazzled.

A small smile was seen on QiangWei’s lips.

The kind of beauty she would become when she matures into an adult—he couldn’t fathom.

“Let’s proceed to the bow.”

Ending his thoughts, he spoke to the captain.

But then Rize interrupted.

“Sorry to ask. Mr. Chen, you’re not going to have me follow you around all night are you?”

“If you want, you could go to sleep first?”

“How about you? Aren’t you going to sleep? This is like, what, the first out of seven ships you need to inspect?”

“It’s my duty. Don’t worry about it and get some rest first.”

“No way. I’ll stay up until I can’t. Let’s go!”

Rize walked ahead.

The captain and crew shook their heads. Truly a noble girl.

The soldiers on sentinel duty saluted them as they passed.

Rize, who had some leftover dried seaweed sticks, tried to force one of them upon a pitiful soldier. QiangWei stopped her.

The soldier who managed to resist Rize’s temptation was praised for maintaining disciplinary conduct as a result.

“Don’t do that.”

“But it’s so sad, you know. It’s so cold out here. The only thing you’d want is to sleep.”

Nothing was seen out of the ordinary. The equipment on deck was well maintained, machines and weaponry seen in excellent condition.

“Yeah, yeah. So are you going to go to bed now or what? I’m planning to jump aboard the next ship.”

“Yeah! Next ship!”

The coordination skills of the two captions were put to the test when transferring people across two moving ships.

Moving at the same speed while maintaining parallel steering, via a zip-line attachment system, Rize and QiangWei managed to hop aboard the other side safely.

The captain of the second ship saluted, and they were ushered into the cabin. It was 11pm when they entered.

.- ▫☆\*: .。 _ ▫.。.:*☆▫.-

I woke up sometime in the late evening.

The light of the room had been switched off, and I could hear the sounds of clicking and tapping. The bright lamp on the table was the only light source currently on.

I looked at the clock, it was 11pm. I pushed the blanket to the side and took a seat on the empty chair beside her desk.

“Oh, how are you feeling?”

Stopping her work for a bit, Ms. Chu turned to me and asked.

I replied appropriately.

“Sleepy.”

“I only have a bit more left. You can sleep some more.”

“No. It’s alright. I’ll wait.”

I didn’t know for how long I sat there watching, my mind was blurry. It was good that I couldn’t think of anything positive or negative. Eventually, Ms. Chu managed to finish the last of it and stretched on her desk.

“Ya-hoo! Finally.”

“Good work.”

“Awh, thanks sheesh.”

“Are you going to sleep now?”

“I’m going to take a quick shower before I do. Thanks for waiting.”

“Un.”

It was easier to get along with Ms. Chu who had boundaries, than Rize-chan who always forced herself on me.

I went back to lay on the bed and closed my eyes, realising that I couldn’t sleep. It was after a while of me tossing around the duvet that Ms. Chu returned.

She tugged on the blanket and took the other side of the bed. Our backs faced each other.

I could hear the sounds of the clock hand ticking at each second, and the background hum of the engine that moved the giant Fortress. An ocean scent coming from her skin greeted my nose.

“Can’t sleep?”

She asked.

“Can’t.”

I answered. I’ve slept plenty earlier, perhaps that’s why I couldn’t fall back asleep.

“Do you want to talk about something then?”

“I don’t know.”

“Is it alright if I choose a topic?”

“Sure.”

“Can you tell me about your past?”

My past huh…

“I thought you already know the general recounts of it?”

“You can’t believe that a flimsy report can tell me what kind of person you are, can you know?”

I fell silent. Ms. Chu waited for me to speak.

My lips parted after some hesitation.

“…I don’t mind being cursed by others.”

But,

“…What I’m afraid of is seeing people I know die in front of me—my friends… comrades who died so I could live.”

Over and over again.

“My greatest regret was not being able to save them.”

Just a little further… just a little more.

It was always when I thought the light was within reach that…

“It’s the scariest thing in the world when the person you promise to help dies.”

An inch, a centimetre—it didn’t matter how I was to the light. If I didn’t reach, their last embers shatter and die off. All I could do by then was watch in despair.

Ms. Chu shifted her body under the blanket.

“I know.”

She said, turned to me then gently stroked my hair.

“It’s really painful being the only one to bear their lives.”

She hugged me. Her scent was comforting. I didn’t know that there was someone else that could make me feel this way besides Kenji.

“Ms. Chu, thank you.”

I pushed her away. I noticed the hurt look on her face.

“I’m sorry for doing that.”

I murmured.

Ms. Chu said nothing, merely smiling bitterly.

“No. It’s my fault for suddenly hugging you…”

“I… I didn’t mind.”

“…I’ll go to sleep first.”

“…Yeah.”

She turned around. I turned around. Our backs faced each other once more.

Even if it was out of natural habit, suddenly hugging a stranger was really too much.

An awkward atmosphere hung in the air.

“…”

“…”

I don’t think either of us could sleep if nothing was done to clear this atmosphere.

“Ms. Chu.”

“…Yes?”

“Can you tell me about Rize-chan?”

It has been bugging my mind for a while now. This terrifying girl that calls First Sergeant Hai her ‘papa’.

“What do you want to know about?”

“Like, how did she join the squad?”

“Let’s see… we met Rize-chan I think six or seven years ago. Sergeant Hai was the one who found her.”

I suppose that explains why she called him ‘papa’.

“Ever since then, she has been part of our squad… now a company. She kept pestering everyone, and eventually found her home here with us.”

I could imagine something like that.

“We owe her a lot.”

“She was only a child back then, wasn’t she?”

“Yes, she is a child. But the main difference between her and those her age is the presence of knowledge from her past life.”

A past life…

Ah.

That explains so much. So it wasn’t just talent.

Kenji was a a reincarnator. He came from before the Second Revelation, so he possessed ancient knowledge of people’s lives on Earth.

On the other hand, XiaoLe was a regressor. She returned to the past from the future to change the ultimate fate of humanity.

Rize-chan was just like the both of them, a God’s Emissary. Hers was of the same concept as Kenji’s—reincarnation.

“She must’ve been lucky to come from such a convenient world…”

I muttered.

“I think it’s the opposite. She must have had a pretty hard life.”

“Opposite…? Why?”

“You’ve met her, so I think you’ve experienced it yourself. She’s not normal.

…The words she says.

…The demeanour which she presents herself.

…All the things she does.

So that’s what a broken person is like…

How have I never considered this…?

It made so much sense.

I’ve always thought of a broken person as mentally ill, and unfit for work.

But to think Rize-chan could contribute so much to the world with her broken mind.

She, who stood within the realm of insanity.

And I, who had only experienced a glimpse of it.

We were so different.

“You may have experienced many tragedies, many people have died because you failed to save them. The world is hateful, it’s unfair. Some people scorn it, others blame fate.”

Yes, fate is truly unfair.

“Still, despite it all you did your very best.”

Be proud of yourself.

“You’re not a monster. Don’t think of yourself as one.”

No one.

“No one wants you to die.”

Except myself.

“So please rethink your decision.”

Fate would go to such lengths to mess with me…

If I choose a different path, a long, uncertain road awaits me in that future. An ending that doesn’t guarantee a better outcome for the world.

“I’m here for you.”

She pulled me into her embrace again.

“You’re lovely just the way you are, Ms. EunHa. Don’t waste it.”

Truly.

Why did the world…

When I should be the one cursed…

Why…

I’m sorry.

I’m sorry for what I did.

Please forgive me for being so stupid. So selfish.

I… cried.

I cried really hard that night.

So much that I would have no tears left to shed once dawn broke.

11