Episode 5: Still Living (1/5)
121 0 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Those that had died before her…

How could she just forget?

Take on a new identity and act as if all her past sins were nought.

To assume all her sins as mere ‘somethings’ that happened to ‘EunHa’?

What kind of bullshit sophism was that?

“Pl… ease…!”

A whisper; an answer.

It could’ve implied anything… everything.

Nothing or something.

A vague answer that had no concrete steps; a lack of utility.

No steps, no functions.

Just a word.

Tears couldn’t stop flowing from her eyes as she kept a tight grip around her neck.

“Eun-chan.”

She screamed, wept.

The kinds of sounds she was making… she didn’t know.

A retching, animalistic cry as she struggled to regain sanity.

“The world may stop believing in you but… I won’t.”

Clarity.

Hope.

“I’ll believe in you no matter what.”

◃⊰⊱. ϕ⊹ ⋈⊶⌖⊹⊰⊱▹

⌖⨊ Tatsuki Rize ⨞⋅

◬ Origin Year 138, 5th of Yǔ.

It was a rainy day.

People wearing black suits gathered around the presence of an ash coffin. Sitting on it a candlelight burning, the small flame swayed.

Ms. Lili was my superior, a dear friend. On a deeper level, she was someone I always thought of as my half-mother.

Friends and family came to attend her funeral. Her passing was one of the few most unpleasant things that has happened to me in this life.

Of course, not everyone was crying. Most took this chance to catch up with those whom they hadn’t met in a while.

I suppose I was no different.

“Tatsuki-san.”

The War Saint, Wu XiaoLe called out my name.

I turned around to meet her sullen gaze.

“Yes?”

“I apologise.”

She lowered her head. And because of it, I was able to see a few strands of shiny white hair weaved in between her glossy pink hair.

I could tell this girl was seriously overworked and overstressed.

“Apologise for?”

“We left abruptly that day, unaccompanied by a proper farewell.”

“Heeh… is that even something to apologise for? I mean, isn’t it a normal reaction when facing the person who killed EunHa?”

The War Saint’s expression clouded over.

“…I still feel that I could’ve handled it better.”

Could’ve handled it better huh? Maybe instead of that, you should make that extra effort to look after yourself.

“You have white hair growing you know?”

“H-Huh?”

“Relax a little more. Otherwise, you’d grow into an old woman in no time.”

I couldn’t tell if she was confused or conflicted.

“I’ll… keep that in mind.”

“You better. Well, if nothing else—”

“Wait, there’s still something I wish to convey…”

“Okay. Fess up—”

I actually wanted to leave ASAP because it would be uncomfortable for both of us to continue exchanging pleasantries but… alas, she had ulterior motives after all.

“Would you like to join my brigade?”

“Oh?”

The War Saint herself was offering me a position.

“As my direct subordinate. That… of course I will do the best in my ability to provide you with anything you need.”

I don’t know how many people were part of her team but, I was sure she didn’t lack personnel right?

Whatever the reason…

“Just so you know. I didn’t resign from First Sergeant Hai’s company just because she passed away.”

“…?”

“I resigned because I’m going to become a mother.”

“???”

It took a few moments for her to process my words. From her slow response, I’d bet that she had not the remotest suspicion that my daughter was the very person they were trying to find.

“…I see.”

“Thank you for the offer. But, I can’t join your brigade.”

“In that case…”

She took something out of her bag.

A phone.

The blocky 9-key kind with four arrow buttons on top; was a major industry breakthrough before flip phones became a thing.

“What’s this for?”

“In case you ever need anything.”

“Are you investing in me?”

These kinds of tropes were pretty common in anime culture. The story goes: a random guy or gal who already knows the future invests in someone they know will make it big.

“I am.”

So it seems I’m a very important person to this girl. The intensity in her gaze was harsh.

“So… what kind of person was I in the future?”

I asked. Caught surprised by my nonchalant question, she went blank a second time.

“The kind of person you were…”

Of course, she knew what I was referring to. The regressor genre was popular among young adults during the early 21st century.

“…The empress of the First Stratum.”

“Ah. Seriously? That’s a really troublesome future.”

Empress? Me? How old was I when I took over the mayor? How curious.

She showed a tired smile as if already expecting my response.

I averted her gaze and faked a cough.

“Anyways, just to be fair, if you need anything, you should also contact me. But only during emergencies okay? It must be tough trying to save the world alone.”

I said. She lowered her head again.

“…I appreciate the favour.”

“XiaoLe-tan.”

We were friends. So…

“I know it’s hard on you but… don’t beat yourself up too much. I think you’re doing great.”

“…”

Nodding to my words, I didn’t know exactly what she was thinking then.

Only that she looked like she was about to cry.

◃⊰⊱⊹. ⊹⌖Ω ⩏⊹ϑ ⊰⊱▹

Vice Admiral Chen QiangWei stood before the candlelight. His fist tightened, frowning.

Words fail to express his parting wishes to the comrade who died. Guilt.

What did he do when he saw her body covered by a white cloth? And regret.

Yeah. He kicked the girl she tried to protect. Cursed her, told her to die.

Only after cooling his head did he realise just how stupid he was. Out of impulse, out of rage.

Maybe the reason Rize left the squad was because she thought EunHa would be safer away from him.

Had he not made such a blunder that day then, could things have turned out differently?

He shifted his gaze away from the candle. Eyes scanning the crowd, his gaze unconsciously fell on her.

She was exchanging words with Chu Lili’s husband.

The charming smile on her face remained. Not because she lacked the conscience to read the mood, rather, in her own words:

Death is what makes life precious.

He felt his chest tighten remembering everything she taught him.

He should’ve waited until she grew a little older, a little more beautiful.

He should’ve restrained his emotion, his desire and impatience.

Then he would’ve been able to continue admiring her without having to keep this distance, without feeling this misery.

If only…

He laughed inwardly.

From behind, First Sergeant Hai Aki placed his hand on QiangWei’s shoulder.

“Your gaze towards her has changed.”

“What kind of response am I supposed to give to that?”

He asked without turning to him, rolling his eyes.

“I wasn’t looking for one. Just curious why you didn’t pursue.”

“It’s none of your business.”

QiangWei shook Hai Aki’s hand off. Hai Aki didn’t pay mind to his rough gesture. He raised his gaze towards the altar where the candlelight stood.

“What do you think was going on in Ms. Chu’s mind when she saved her?”

He asked.

QiangWei thought about it before giving his most honest response.

“God knows.”

He denied the notion of fate and destiny. But he agreed that there existed things that couldn’t be changed. The inevitable was oftentimes hard to differentiate from those within possibility.

Which one he was pursuing, whichever the case it didn’t matter.

He’d rather not know than stall deliberating the inevitable—rather die than be shown the future result of all his actions.

Not because he was afraid, but because he… did not believe he could shoulder the responsibility that it entailed.

Another brief glance back at the crowd.

This time his eyes stopped at the sight of another girl. Short pink hair, silver-blue eyes—Colonel Wu XiaoLe.

The one who assigned that accursed girl to their squad.

The one who tasked them to kill her.

The one who had seen the future.

…If EunHa’s death had been necessary to prevent humanity’s end. Then Rize’s scheme, which went against her decision…

“No.”

He refused to believe that Rize’s decision was wrong.

Having experienced numerous struggles and delights alongside her, he was convinced that she had never been more right in the things she did.

Even if she was the harbinger of disasters, the results that followed from them had always…

Always…

◃⊰⊱ϑ⊹ ⨞⋅⫝⫘⌖ ⊹⊹⊰⊱▹

Death was a part of life.

It entailed loss and change.

But from it, we move on still.

For the smiles of those still living.

—Sizzle.

From when the candlelight was lit until the second it toppled over was the time which we mourned. The candle’s flame reached the base of melted wax unfallen, a sign of good luck and blessing for us all. The procession moved into its final stages.

Chu Lili left no will.

Her husband, Mr. Kim Hyeon had now to decide how he would handle Ms. Lili’s ashes.

He could bury them in the earth or scatter them to the wind. It didn’t take a lengthy contemplation, he decided to take the ash back home.

And with that, came the end of the funeral.

While she may no longer be here, she continues to live in the hearts of everyone. Amen.

◃⊰⊱. ϕ⊹ ⋈⊶⌖⊹⊰⊱▹

It was the evening when I returned.

The rain had all but stopped when I left the funeral venue. With nice puddles scattered all over the plain paved streets, I skipped across them and enjoyed a few showering splashes.

Protected by a thin layer of wind magic, my clothes were kept dry.

A large building common house annexing a restaurant located over a hill-like berm. It very much resembled those template suburban homes you could find during the olden days of modern society.

This was the new place I moved into a week ago.

“Welco.. eh?! Rize-chan, you’re back!”

“I’m back~”

I took the restaurant entrance and was greeted promptly by Ms. Ng YiChen, one of the waitresses at this restaurant. She has been a long-standing staff for almost two years now.

“I want a drink.”

“So what drink would you like?”

“Coffee.”

“Warm coffee coming right up! Find a seat somewhere.”

The place wasn’t busy during the non-rush hours. With that said though, at least half the restaurant seats were occupied.

Hmr, hmr. Business is good.

“No food?”

Ms. YiChen popped her head out from behind the counter, asking me again to confirm.

“Nah. I just want coffee.”

“Okay.”

I gazed out the window.

The scenery of green plains and tall mountains. Large tea plantations, fields of paddy, rows of greenhouses, and terraced vegetable fields extended to the ends of where one’s eyes could see.

Second Stratum, New Hangul Island.

A peaceful countryside region focusing on agriculture and family development. The opposite of the high tension, hustle-bustle city life of Fortress City Fuji.

Compared to other regions, New Hangul City’s development was relatively recent, having formed into a residential city in only the past two or three decades or so.

“Here’s your coffee.”

“Thank you.”

The aroma was great though it lacked the finesses of my personal brew.

“So… how was it?”

Ms. YiChen asked, her voice slightly wary.

I don’t think she was referring to the coffee.

“Mr. Hyeon decided to use the ash to plant a small tree in the house.”

“Oh? Isn’t that great then?”

“Right? At least Ms. Lili’s spirit would live on in their home.”

I do suppose Ms. YiChen was trying to cheer me up.

That’s very sweet of her, I appreciate it.

“Speaking of which, have you seen Eun-chan around?”

“Eun-chan? Now that you’ve mentioned it… I haven’t seen her the whole day.”

“Hm…”

How suspicious. Wasn’t she helping out around the restaurant yesterday? Don’t tell me she got injured?

Downing the rest of the coffee in one go, I thanked Ms. YiChen and made my way to the residence building.

I actually wanted to savour each sip but responsibilities come first!

The living room was eerily dark when nobody was around using it. I turned on the light before heading upstairs to my room. There was light coming from beneath the door.

“Eun-chan, I’m back.”

I knocked and entered.

There was a human dumpling… and a small turtle was sitting on said dumpling.

“Hey.”

Snap. Snap.

First to respond was the small turtle—Cinnamon.

“…M-Mom.”

Second to go was the human dumpling. Wrapped in a blanket, she turned to me with a cautious gaze.

“You okay?”

“Mn…”

The human dumpling met my eyes ever so briefly before quickly looking away.

“What are you doing?”

“Reading…”

So she decided not to volunteer in the restaurant today because she found a novel to indulge in? I sat down beside her.

Cinnamon moved from the top of the dumpling to my shoulder. I stroked his head.

“What are you reading?”

Akane-san had a lot of novels. Eun-chan probably borrowed one from her.

“…”

She shut the book tight and hid it in between her legs.

“Eun-chan.”

Erotica exists in this world.

“Is that what I think it is?”

Akane-san owns a few actually.

“…”

“…”

It must be that.

“Onwards!”

“Gyah?!”

I tackled her.

Even she can let out a scream this cute when attacked.

Her light brown hair scattered. Behind the frame of her fake glasses, the panic in her blue eyes was evident.

“Gimme!”

“Ah! No!”

“I’ll tickle you to death! Gimme!”

For a daughter, she was crazy strong.

She flung the book underneath the nearby desk.

“Aha!”

I was going to jump. But then Eun-chan quickly wrapped her arms around my waist, holding me down.

“Geh!”

My body felt like it was being crushed. She buried her head in my shoulder.

“Hey, your glasses are going to break if you…”

“…Why didn’t you tell me.”

“…What?”

“…That her funeral was today.”

“Ah.”

Whoops. Should’ve changed out of my mourning clothes before entering.

“Um, well. I didn’t want you to think about it so…”

“But…”

“…Not to worry Eun-chan. I’ve already made the arrangements.”

I felt her body tremble slightly.

“We’ll be visiting them at their home soon enough.”

“…Yes.”

She nodded silently.

I pouted.

Because despite answering her question I was still stuck. She wasn’t letting me go…

I was itching to know what kind of novel she read, so I tried desperately wriggling. But that only made things worse as my chest now buried her face.

She didn’t make any effort to change the inappropriate position.

“Eun-chan…”

“Are they angry…?”

“They? No. I don’t think they’re angry.”

It’s so ticklish!

“Come on, let go of me already Eun-chan!”

“No.”

Uwah! She’s already rebelling at such a young age!

I began tickling her side. She flinched and moaned.

Her grip loosened, and I made my escape!

“…No!”

“Aha! Gotcha, this is…”

…Not a novel. I turned to Eun-chan.

“Where did you get this?”

She looked away…

Whenever I have a flash of inspiration, I write it down. The same when I’m frustrated or angry, sad or depressed. I pen down the thing that made me feel that way.

It’s a bible of my raw, honest thoughts about things. It was also a way of understanding myself better; an exercise for maintaining good mental hygiene.

Journaling.

This was the first time someone other than me had read the journal. Not that I mind. It’s just… how in the world did she get her hands on this? I swear it was well hidden underneath my pillow.

“I-I just found it.”

“Mn… fine. Let’s just leave it at that.”

Well. At least my writing occupied her mind enough that she didn’t try to hurt herself.

“Have you eaten dinner?”

“…I’m sorry.”

“It’s not a big deal, come on…”

I hugged her.

Hey, at least she knows a little bit more about her mother (a.k.a., me) now.

6