Book 1 – Prologue
13 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Hello, fair warning: this is me testing out the interest level in the story so far. I won't be back to update this until I finish the whole 1st book, then I'll start uploading the chapters again. So consider this... a teaser I guess. I hope you enjoy, and please, feel free to give me a lot of feedback!

It was a stormy day on the planet belonging to the Fulmen family of the 10 Prime Families. It was also a day that would be for great celebration. The first child of the Lord and Lady of the family would be born today. Many of the nearby populace had come to the gates of the Fulmen family's sprawling 100km estate belonging solely to the Lord and Lady of the clan, as well as the staff that maintained it. The mansion was considered a rarity in terms of size relative to the other members of the 10 Prime Families, who would frequently have their Lord's or Lady's estates cover anywhere from 10 to 100 times the size of the Fulmen estate. Onlookers consisted of the average individuals and families that were retainers to the Fulmen family, all the way up to the 9 representatives from the remaining members of the 10 Prime Families. Each individual present was able to travel through outer space solely with their body or the aid of their summons or tames.

Under the eyes of the crowd, lightning began to fall upon the Fulmen Family estate, exactly where the lady was in the process of giving birth! No one present was concerned, however, and if anything, they were amused.

"Dear, this seems to be an omen of good luck! More than 700 successive lightning strikes in the same place? I'm not sure such a thing was ever recorded in history," gushed Lady Fulmen, turning towards her husband who was hidden behind the wall of midwives and doctors.

Lady Fulmen was a woman about 180 cm tall, with a dusky complexion and deep red hair, reminiscent of dried blood. She had auburn eyes that seemed to glow in the dark. Her body was slender but well-proportioned, her arms long and graceful, and she wore a gown that was a light blue, split all the way down her back, and currently rolled up for the birthing process.

"Yes, that is great and all, my love, but I am more concerned about if our child is fine being bathed in that much lightning, even if they are still inside you," worried Lord Fulmen.

Lord Fulmen was a man of great stature. He was over 200cm tall and his feet visibly sunk into the floor he stood on. His skin was dark brown, his hair black as coal, and his eyes were the color of storm clouds. He had an angular face with sharp features that made him appear unapproachable at first glance, but he was actually very kindhearted and patient. He never raised his voice or spoke harshly to anyone, even when they deserved it.

"Bah, this little bit of lightning is nothing to me and my baby!"

"Ma'am, we need you to do one last large push, we can see the child's head, we're almost done..." fretted one of the doctors. "Please, just focus for a little longer... Lord Fulmen, come and hold her hand to help her get through this last stretch." The doctors and midwives parted to make a path through them for the lord of the house to pass through. As the lord offered his hand to his wife, he couldn't help but stare at the railing that his wife had previously held a death grip on. The railing was made of purportedly indestructible mythic adamantite, and yet its greatly misshapen form with deep grooves matching the general shape of his wife's fingers told a wildly different tale. He silently wondered if his hand would share the same fate, or if he was made of sterner stuff than the indestructible metal. He could only hope.

"Dear, UNF, remind me, URGH, why we, AAAGHHHH, decided that it would, AAAAHHHHHHH, be a good idea, AAAHHH, to do this birth, YAAAA, all natural??!!!" The Lady was in such distress and discomfort, she couldn't even manage to eke out a complete sentence without some kind of moan or groan getting mixed in. "This hurts a HELL, UWAAAAAHHH, of a lot more than getting my arm cut off!"

The Lord could only silently stand by her, patting one of her hands with his free one, watching as his captive hand hovered between all of his fingers being fused together from the sheer pressure and power of his wife's grip, and outright disintegrating into nothing but skin and bone fragments. He sighed, wondering if there was any point in healing the hand inside his wife's grip, as it would soon be returned to its current state of affairs regardless.

He also refused to point out to her that she was the one who wanted an all-natural birth, with midwives and doctors, but no fancy technology to make the entire experience easier. It's irrelevant that the entire affair would have been over at this point had she chosen that option, and it would have been quick and relatively painless. No, she chose this route so she could demonstrate how much she loved and valued their first child, finally given form after some 2 millennia of effort. No, after being with his wife for over 3000 years, he learned that oftentimes, it was best to let her make her decisions, have their failures together, and make sure to silently clean up any aftermath arising from said failures. Less he seek to suffer the displeasure that was sleeping on the couch alone for years at a time.

At this point, the lightning had stopped falling, having fallen upon them for a grand total of 776 strikes. However, the lord could tell that it was not over yet, there was still thunder rumbling and flashes of light in the overhead clouds.

"HE'S OUT, YOU DID IT MA'AM! It's a boy, it-AAACK??!!" The doctor could do naught but scream in surprise as the clouds unleashed a Hail Mary upon the newborn child for the 777th lightning bolt colored in a brilliant, resplendent gold, with remaining clouds quickly dissipating. The lord watched this happen peacefully, in part because he still could not free his poor, mangled hand from his wife's death grip, and mostly because he was already well aware that the lightning would do no damage to his newborn son because the boy would be functionally immortal at his mother's side until the umbilical cord was severed. In fact, the lightning strike did more harm to the doctors and midwives than anything else.

The lord just cried, watching as the child was cut free of the umbilical cord, got smacked on their butt, and began crying for the first time. As for whether those were tears of joy, or tears of pain from his destroyed hand... that was something only he would know.

***

After a few minutes passed of the doctors and midwives cleaning the child up and handing him over to the mother so he could have his first feeding, the lord felt like he should say something to his new son as he fell asleep after being burped.

"According to what your mother and I agreed on when deciding your name, we name you... Felix Dhvanil Fulmen," the lord declared with a great sense of duty and finality. His wife turned and stared at him.

"Shut up, I'm tired, the baby is tired, and I don't want you to wake him when he's finally asleep," the lady said in the most deadpan tone.

"Yes, dear..." the lord replied, knowing full well that his wife meant every word she said, and that he'd better shut up now before things got worse. After a moment, he looked back down at his newborn son. His son yawned, and stretched, opening his eyes and staring back at his father with bright golden eyes. Internally, the father was already thinking of all the possible ways to spoil his son rotten. Externally, he was sweating as his wife levelled him with a glare that promised a heretofore unseen level of suffering.

***

The next few days were spent meeting with the various visitors of the other 9 Prime Families, receiving their gifts and well wishes, and giving them return gifts. While it might seem strange for a newly born child to receive such attention, the stronger a couple was, the more difficult it was for them to have children. At the Mythic level, the likelihood of having children is so negligible, one may as well assume they would win the lottery on every planet in one of the Prime family's universes before that occurs. He would know, as he had done this. 7 times. Hence his and his wife's 2000 years of effort to finally bear a child, when both of them were at the Mythic level and, for all intents and purposes, immortal was something of great celebration.

The meeting with the final representative from the last of the 10 Prime Families was the one of greatest importance for those representatives. After a suitable amount of courtesy had been given to the Lord, alongside a prodigious helping of brown-nosing, the representative of the Zilversat Family asked the Lord the question all 9 representatives were instructed to seek an answer for.

"Lord Fulmen, Lord Zilversat requested that I inquire as to when you and your family intend to return to Planet Prime. What answer would you prefer that he receive?"

In the vast multiverse that has currently been recorded, Planet Prime is the planet that sits at the absolute center of it all. This is the planet where all of the 10 Prime Families have their main bases at, and is the source of their name, "Prime Family". The 10 families rule over the entire planet together, and each of them controls their own universe. The planet's size is still unknown even after eons of exploration, due to the spatial phenomenon, called "spatial compression". The entire planet is one giant cube with no edges or corners, but rather folds in on itself. It is estimated that there are over 1 trillion continents of varying sizes within the sphere of Prime.

A small, known minority of these continents have been terraformed into habitable environments by the various Mythics that control the different families on the planet. The minimum level of strength required to transform these continents is the Mythic level, and so it became both a custom and a requirement for each family to create their own continent and have at least one Mythic to be considered a Noble family.

"We will return to the Fulmen Prime continent within a year. We will not miss the Prime Council Meeting," replied Lord Fulmen.

"I understand Lord Fulmen. I will convey your words to my Lord immediately."

"See that you do."

***

6 months have passed since the birth of Felix Fulmen. Lord Fulmen stood from behind his desk in his office on one of the many planets owned by the Fulmens.

"It is time we returned," stated Lord Fulmen, staring into the distant horizon through an open window.

"...I already said that! Could you at least act like you listened to me, honey? Someone must really love sleeping on the couch, huh Felix?"

Lord Fulmen managed to provoke the ire of his wife in his desire to look cool in front of his son.

"No, please not that. I just got back my bed privileges last week..."

 

Lord Fulmen:

Lord Fulmen - father of Felix

 

Lady Fulmen:

Lady Fulmen - Mother of Felix

0