Chapter 16
10 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Tallu was sitting between an angry Fox and a disgruntled fae lord, with a bad-tempered FBI agent in front of her and her looking like she hadn't seen a night of sleep, and a Nerd for a partner sitting next to her.
It was like the beginning of a bad joke. Just this was no joke. The FBI agent, Agent Baker, put a file on the table. "This is all we have. Which is probably less than what you have." She stated. "Apparently, everyone wanted this case over and done with. I don't. This murderer has gone unchecked for far too long."

Alistair blinked and ordered tea from a waitress who had trouble keeping her eyes on them, almost stumbling over her own feet. Tallu elbowed Asil, who conjured them drinks and served herself from these.

"Well, what do you have?" Agent Baker asked them, and Tallu put her drink down. She liked this agent, she liked her quite a lot, and she smelled of truth.

"Well, we have a dead crafter with a penchant for mad sorcery called Odin." She told her and smiled.

"That explains the council of sorcery. I have calls from the foxes." a long look at Asil. "The Fae." One at Alistair. "And the sorcerer's" now at her. She raised her hands.

"Not a sorcerer." She answered and smiled. "Not even close. What else have you?"

"The Kidnapper is not new. We have had dealings with them before. They apparently operated over several states, so they slipped through the net, and since their victims are members of the supernatural community, it was believed you would deal with it yourselves." Baker explained.

"Which didn't happen?"

"Most fractions stick to their own. We don't interfere with each other; that keeps us at peace." Alistair told her, and she made an understanding huff.

"Great, anyway, the victims are almost always found approximately a week after their kidnapping. With these marks on their bodies, which I suspect are connected to the dead sorcerer?"

"Yes." Tallu took out their pictures. "They are. We need a body, though, to be sure."

"I can ask for an exemption. Shouldn't be a problem considering the number of victims if I drop an anonymous hint."

"We can do that faster," Asil noted, and Tallu put her hand on his back for him to calm down. "We simply do it ourselves that exhumation. What was the last victim?"

"I pretend I son't know about that. A dark witch in Missouri St'Louis. " Baker answered blankly, and next to her, Asil groaned. Mumbling something like, 'It would have been too easy, wouldn't it.'
Baker looked left and right, her gaze jumping between the two men. Tallu took pity on her and sighed. "Taking out a dark witch is basically like taking out an entire swat team," she explained.

Next to her, Alistair vanished and left her behind. Baker pointed at the now empty spot. "And he?"

"Excavation," Tallu said.

"Now?!" Baker seemed startled

"He is Fae," Asil explained, and Baker narrowed her eyes at him.

"I have been meaning to ask, who are you?"

"Mine." Tallu interrupted before more was said. Baker decided she wouldn't ask further, and then Alistair reappeared.

"We can go." He said, and Asil stood up, holding out his hand to Tallu, who accepted it.

"Wait, I am coming along, which graveyard?" Baker asked, putting over her jacket and slamming down a few dollars on the table.

"That's another state," Baker mumbled, and Tallu held her hand. "Take a deep breath and keep it." She said, and Baker hesitated a moment before taking the hand offered. Together, they Teleported and were on the Graveyard Alistair had mentioned. A grave was dug up, and a coffin lying on the ground.

"That is it," Alistair stated and then pointed at Tallu. Tallu kneeled down and scented the coffin, except for the smell of a dead person, decomposition, earth, and wood, nothing.

"Open it," Tallu ordered Alistair, and Asil opened it. A mummified corpse became visible. Tallu eyed it and leaned it deep into the coffin, smelling the body, which she could now tell. Moving her nose closer to the parts where the scent of magic got stronger, she soon had the acid-like smell of foul magic in her nose. Taking a deeper breath, she re-opened her eyes. "Got the scent," she mumbled and leaned back. "Smells like stale acid, for lack of description. It is foul, so blood magic is probably done wrong, sourcing from pain."

"And the deer scent?" Next to her, Baker asked.

"No clue, I mean, the original crafter was a deer shifter, but blood magic is an entirely different kind of thing. Sorcery is not always clean, but blood magic is a subdivision of sorcery, and it cannot be put into a crafted tool." Tallu explained, and Alistair hissed next to her. "I encountered a blood mage a few years ago," Alistair said and then spelled the coffin to close and put it back into the grave; a few magics later, the coffin was closed, and everything looked untouched. Baker's eyes widened as she observed how the two men wielded their magic.
"I didn't know that was possible." She whispered, and Tallu looked at her with a faint smile.

"It's not exactly common." She said to Baker, "Asil and Alistair are pretty powerful."

1