Chapter 15
7 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"I have not expected the Librarian of Cordoba to be so unhinged." Asil suddenly said, and Tallu couldn't speak against it. 

Actually, she knew that Rika was also an huge Anime Otaku, too. This wasn't what one expected to see in the apprentice in one of the world's most extensive Magic records archives but certainly fun.

"Alistair....where do they store those bodies, if there are even any around right now?" Tallu asked their Fae, who had a cell phone attached to his ear and was shouting something into it. Vehemently. 

He looked at them. "Graveyard. Back where we started, I just sent someone to arrange everything for us." 

"Alright," Tallu muttered, and from how Alistair looked at her, she knew he cared nothing. At least now, they had a few leads to where this would probably head or go towards. 

---

Agent Kathrin Baker sat over the folder of a notorious serial kidnapper and murderer and frowned. She had seen a lot in her day, from Fae to Werewolves and all kinds of magic creatures, but never had she seen anyone like that girl. 

The Fae had trusted her almost immediately. It had been too convenient, suspiciously convenient. She appeared out of nowhere, had the nose of a hound, and scented...deer. 

Agent Baker felt as if she had missed something significant going on. Going through her hair again, she saw her Boss calling her up. She rose from her chair and walked up to him.

"Boss." She greeted and looked at the elderly man in front of her, who gave her a dark look. 

"Baker, you put your hand into a horned nest." He suddenly said, and Kathrin raised a single eyebrow. 

"In how far?" 

"I just figured out why they gave up such a high-profile case like this serial killer for an apple and an eye." 

Right, another thing that didn't fit. Why did Homeland Security give up a high-profile murder case that stretched over several states over the last 20 years as if it were a boiling potato? 

"And why?" 

"Supe politics. Apparently, a certain Fae Lord took an interest. I just got a call from the high council of Foxes and one from the godforsaken Demonic Sorcerer Central Coven in New York." 

"Wait. The Fae, The Foxes, and the Sorcerers took an interest in this?" 

"Yes." 

"No wonder Homeland had a party when we took over here. That is a political catastrophe waiting to happen." 

"So it seems. Baker, whatever you do, get this Case closed, fast. I want this off my table; I care about those dudes and justice; this will bite us hard regardless of what happens." 

Kathrin blinked. Did he really just tell her to figure some shit out that was politically correct and close the Case just for the sake of shoving it to someone else. "Boss. I am not doing that. I am going to solve this properly; the murderer killed over 15 people in the last 20 years."

"Baker, I know. But this is too big for us, and the Supes control themselves pretty well. Now that one of them is down, they will take care of it. Close the Case and do it fast." 

Kathrin couldn't believe what she was hearing. "Boss." She said. "I am sorry, but again, I'll solve this properly. Supes taking care of their own or not, we are still a state agency and made an oath to protect people. That includes them for better or worse." 

"Don't be stupid. They aren't people. They are Supes Baker." 

"Well, I never thought you were a Bigot before, Boss. They are people, and I'll do my job. Now excuse me."

Kathrin marched out of the office and cursed internally. This might just cost her her job. She looked around and suddenly asked herself. If her Boss, whom she had thought to be a decent man until now, behaved like this once the supernatural community got involved, then just how much had this Case been dragged through a swamp of negligence from the other agencies. Just close it quickly and hand it off; we gotta get this trouble off our desks. How often and how many inside the FBI or Homeland thought like this? The Supes just manage themselves. We don't have to care.

"Nino!" She thundered for her partner. "We are going to visit forensics, and then we will visit our Fae Father! Enough sitting on a desk and going through Papers." internally, she added, a. If this has been how this Case was treated all this time, we won't find anything in there either. We might as well ask the guys on our own.

Nino hurried from his desk, visibly happy to have been able to quit old case files, and ran after her. 

"Forensics Boss?" He asked, slightly flabbergasted, stumbling after her. "Bet we have nobody or a dead person jet, just someone missing." 

"They may have found something else, Nino." Baker empathized. "That being said, every victim has been kept captive for up a week until now. Our Fae might still be alive, and their father may be a mighty help. That being said, Nino, this Case is trouble. If you want to keep your career going, I suggest you find someone else to work with and do so quickly." 

Nino blinked at her. "Boss, I don't care. I like working with you." He answered and followed her. "I prepared the phone number of our Fae Father. When do we meet him?" 

"In an hour." 

1