Chapter 14
11 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Tallu leaned forward to see many ancient Greek letters that made no sense to her. "I can't read that." She stated, and Giacomo let out a sigh. "I forgot, Greek is no longer the language of knowledge; instead, it's ... English." He pronounced the last word as if it was a curse. "A language so terribly unprecise. "

"You forget English is my mother language; here, that is what we are searching for, I believe." Rika put the Greek book next to it. "Pythagoras was not any good as a sorcerer, but he put up some interesting theories for that time. You didn't recognize the pattern Tallu because it wasn't new but so outdated it's basically become obsolete." Giacomo pointed at the book and then conjured a paper and a pen. Next to Tallu, Rika sat down obediently.
"If you rearrange the runes, you make patterns out of them, like this, then you turn them upside down, and the meaning gets?"

"Reversed," Tallu muttered, and Giacomo nodded.

"Exactly, Simple, Brutal, pretty effective if not for the malfunctions. If you turn them to the upper side, you get the flip coin going."

"Spell. Dispell basically." Tallu muttered. "That is pretty useful but can bite you if you don't watch what you are writing."

"Ah, how pleasant, yes. What one side can mean. Heal the dude, on the flip side, means kill the dude. It is easier to carry two coins with you; our Odin wasn't clever or good, but he had Ommp in his magic. He went in this spell this incredibly roundabout way, using the energy of blood and pain, pressing it through a bottleneck and having it emerge on the other side to do with, I have no idea..."

He used one side of the coin to gather energy and then discarded it on the other to do whatever he wanted. Tallu went through with the process of thought and repeated it coming to only oneconclusion "That is complete magical nonsense. You gather and expel magic on the same side, not force it through a transformation. Hence, a source of mystical energy has to be similar to the result. Why make an effort? It's dangerous; the thing can implode on you too if you don't watch it...."

Giacomo shrugs his shoulders. "As I said, he wasn't very good at his work. He didn't have any apprentices either, and the demon he had a contract with was an unimportant mid-rank incubus with a pretty tail and a prettier look than brains." Giacomo grinned. "That or the twerp was more those that kill their contract partners, letting them do nonsense."

"How may I know of this?" Alistair asked, and Giacomo shrugged his shoulders.

"The math every school kid that ever had an interest can figure it out. These are no hidden records. It's Pythagoras. The other, the runes, maybe only a few history nuts or archeologists and everyone around back then. Relationships between magic kin and humans were better back then. Today, they are just trouble. Look for a body, the magic leaves vestiges. Tallu is a pro at such things; she will do good work."

Tallu held back that right now; she was more of a magical noob right now. She couldn't actually go about it the way she usually would. Behind her, she felt Asil's presence like a comfortable blanket. Shaking the feeling off, after all, she was no longer a broken girl; she smiled at Giacomo.

"Thanks."

"Don't Thank me, little fox. I feel my life will soon become interesting again, thankfully for you." Giacomo said and waved at them. "Now out of here."

As soon as he said that Tallu was back with the others at Rikas Workplace. Only Rika wasn't there anymore. Instead, they stood there and looked around, befuddled. Well one certainly did not expect to get thrown out of a library with such speed. 

0