Chapter 17
10 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Asil felt antsy, more than usual. And he felt distinctively at the wrong place. His magic attuned more than usual to Tallu, so he had kept his distance from her for so long. Eyeing the Fae and the FBI Agent, he held his silence. His ears twitched; the sounds surrounding them made him more vigilant than ever.
He was Tallus's bodyguard right now, and more so than ever, he paid attention to all that was potentially a threat. Nothing more, and maybe the one who would slice off the Fae Lord's head. He didn't like the man, but he understood him. He would be equally desperate if he had a daughter in the same situation.
And the Fae Lord was desperate, or he would never throw around information as he did. He would guard knowledge like treasure.
Agent Baker and they were teleported back to the coffee shop they had been at earlier, right at the front door.

"A warning would have been nice..." Agent Baker mumbled. She was pale-faced, and her eyerings were more profound than before...if possible. The woman was easily described with the word dead on her feet tired.

"A blood mage can have gone too far." Alistair hissed, and Asil agreed with him. Blood Mages didn't have teleportation, so he was bound to the ways of human transportation methods.

It was the price one paid for blood magic. They lost other abilities for the immense power given to them. There was another thing they liked, though.
"Search for remote places, above ground but without sunlight and dry. Blood Mages usually cannot practice properly beneath the earth; earth magic is their opposite. They like dryness and darkness to work." Tallu pointed out, "Send us the List of all you can find, including images and an address, and we can teleport them through."

"Wait..." Agent Baker raised a hand. "While I am very thankful. This is still an FBI investigation and you are outisders, technically."

"Do you think we don't have other ways to get that information?" Tallu raised an eyebrow. "It is just more convenient like this. You can come along."

"Alright." Agent Baker raised her hands in defeat. "I get it. But I am coming along. Just warn me when we teleport so I can hold my breath."
Asil nodded and resisted the urge to coil his tail around Tallu; instead, he stayed where he was. "Until then," Alistair said and took a deep breath. "We will scour the city on our own. This is my number, call and we will come. Hurry." The order was clear, and Agent Baker scrawled at the sound of it but didn't protest. Instead, she stared at him and raised her cell phone. "Then, if you'd be so kind to teleport me there." She requested, and his eyes narrowed. "Please." Baker empathized.

Alistair took her hand, and gone they were. Asil took out his phone and searched for the next place where they could buy a map. Tallu took it out of his hand. "It's easier if we just use Maps." She said and showed him. "These and the satellite photos are more recent than what is on maps usually. If we search for remote places, it is best to start out there." She pointed at a more remote place. It appeared like an industrial zone, remote little would be going on out there.

"Alright, we teleport there." He held out his hand, and Tallu hesitated. Her hesitation hurt him more than he dared admit to himself. Maybe they all should have supported her more, let her do as she wanted, and not hindered her, but then he had lost too much to risk losing her. One should not give something precious to someone old; they tend to be overprotective.

Soon later, they were in a barren industrial zone, one grey building next to another. The streets were not in good condition anymore; they also hadn't been used for long. Asil took a deep breath. The scent of beton and old unused iron rust was in his nose, waste littered left and right, and it was apparent there hadn't been anyone in a long time.
There was no scent of magic, though; the silence was also rather penetrating, even for his ears.
Tallu looked up at him. Her amber eyes fixated on him, and they shone like burning flames, the same way they had burned back then. She wanted to say something, but he put his finger on her lips to silence him.

"I will protect you if you like it or not, whether it will happen with your cooperation or without, and that has nothing to do with your number of tails or whether you are a grown-up. You are precious to me, so I will protect you."

"Why have you avoided me then all this time?" she asked.

"Because you were a child, Tallu, and you looked at me with eyes that were not those of a child. I am old, I am very old, maybe only River is older, I don't know though we have never compared."

2