Chapter 6
36 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The Fae understood Tallu's hidden threat quite clearly and gave her the darkest of looks which she returned in the like. Her Magic was close to nil right now, so if he decided to take action, she would be chopped liver, but she certainly wouldn't back down. Slowly she walked around him and glared upwards; it was better not to show him she was currently devoid of magic power and couldn't even use most a majority of her potions.

She waited, and the Fae in front of her frowned.

"How good is your nose?" The Fae asked her, and she shrugged. 

"Decent." She answered him.

"Good enough. Can you track that deer scent?" He asked her, and she shrugged her shoulders again, her Magic moving inside her, compelling her to say yes. Maybe this was her test, helping this Fae? Was he feeling it too and this asked her to do this?

"I can try." She answered him.

"Good." He told her and turned with the words. "Stay here a moment."

Tallu decided to wait, and the Fae went to the woman he had been talking to before and said something to the two people litigating before the woman marched to her alongside him.

She eyed Tallu, who knew she looked like an average teenager or barely approaching her twenties. "You are like him? Other?" She asked her, and she raised her eyebrow. Did the woman know the details of what they were, or, like most humans, just know about their existence and little else but rumors except that? It was not like their kind was overly forward with their secrets toward humans.
She looked at the Fae. Shouldn't he explain? She was not about to speak openly to a human.

"Similar enough. Her nose might help." He stated, and the woman glared first at the face and then at her darkly.

"I see no reason a random person should be involved in this." The woman said, and Tallu shrugged her shoulders. It was a weird she was here that was right, but if her magic was involved then it wasn't. There had to be a purpose. The Policewoman could take it or leave it.

"You will have her do her work; there is nothing to lose for us." The Fae said, and the woman signed with a nod and raised the yellow band, and Tallu stepped through underneath it. The scent of deer still in her nose, she looked at the old Fae.

"Where was she abducted from?" She asked, and the man led her ahead. She followed him when he walked up a few stories, the scent of water following along with them. She looked around and wanted to use her ears to make out more, but they were human, and her fox was so deeply buried she had to rely on her human senses except for her nose; it felt like there was cotton wool in her ears and senses, everything stuffed full.
"This is our apartment." He said. "My daughter was young and weak a fae. She loved living as a human, even went to college, wanted to have a human art degree."

"Practical art." Tallu recognized the many oil and acrylic paints scattered through the messy apartment, expenisve brands easily a few dollars a tube. "Oil and Acryl?"

"Yes, she liked aquarelles too, but she was not so skilled with them; she even bought expensive pigments for her newest work. Most of the time, she illustrated for newspapers, although not earning a lot of money with it."

He spoke a lot more than she expected him to. Beneath the scent of Terpentine, Acrylic, Oil, and other things, she discovered the smell of deer again. A scent didn't fit into the room; there was the scent of the girl, the Fae, the policewoman, and another human...

"Who else was in here?" She asked, "Which human?"

"Only one, except me, Chis!" The woman answered.
"Get me, McCarthy, up." She ordered loudly, and not too far, someone moved. It disturbed Tallu, her inability to hear the man's steps, but she kept her face neutral, so nothing would be noticed.

Soon later, a lanky young detective came her way. "Boss." He asked, and Tallu sniffed at him and analyzed his scent.

"Thank you, Mrs....?" She leaned her head to the side, cursing her habit; it revealed that she was some kind of shifter, the habit widespread among them.

"Baker." The woman answered her, and Tallu nodded and kneeled down. Following the scent of deer, she kept close to the ground, following it in zigzag lines to the door; the fae woman, the owner of the place, had struggled, but there ... at the stairs, her scent seemed to end, getting faint and heading...upwards?

She stood up, rose from her knees, and her nose twitched. She closed her eyes, trusting that the old Fae would not try to harm her until she brought results. Trailing up the wall, she followed it, eyes closed, almost stumbling down the stairs as she was deeply focused on trailing. The fae grabbed her shirt and grunted as he stabilized her. She tilted her head once again and continued down the stairs following the scent. It made no sense, this was too high for a deer, to low for a fae in flight and she doubted the woman had gone willingly, and no one she could have the strength to carry down a person several stories either.

"The scent starts from the door and then goes down the stairs; it is up here, though, your daughters' scent is up here, and the rest is still...deer." She stated and pointed at the wall slightly above her head. "Here." She said.

"There?" He asked her skeptically, and she nodded pointing at the wall.

"There."

"That makes no sense." Baker behind them said. "In the first sense, deers in a city and then the scent up there; for all I know, little girl, it could have been you; shifters are strong."

"Have you looked at me?" Tallu asked her and had her hands move up and down. "The laws of muscle mass count even for us shifters." She stated the obvious, and the Baker raised an eyebrow, then pointed at the old Fae whose name she still didn't know. "And I don't really want to get into that trouble."

Detective Baker looked at the old Fae and then at her.

"Well, I can't deny that. Thank you for your assistance."

"Girl." The Fae stopped her. "Can you trail the scent?"

Tally shook her head. "The city scent will overwhelm everything else once we leave the house; Again, I am not a bloodhound." She told him. "You'd need someone with a greater magic skill, or at least a better nose."

"I see." The man said and then gave her a dark look. "Best wishes to you."

"You are welcome." She answered him and felt shivers run down her spine. This wasn't over.

3