Chapter 11
27 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Tallu found herself in her hotel room. Alistair, next to her, let her arm go and stepped back.

"I will research this crafter," Alistair said and turned to her. "You rest."

Tallu knew she was tired and needed the rest as her eyes burned from staying awake.  But she also wanted to help, and hardly anyone knew the community they were to investigate better. "Start with Marinka; she has a small store for crafted goods in Alexandria, at the shadow Bazaar. If anyone knows crafters, then it's her. After the flying carpets, it's a fixed store."

"I see. Anyone else?"

"Yes. Once you are back, we will head out together. There is an old member of the Kalifs Court in Cordoba; he never left. I don't remember Kalif's Name, but the name that old Desert Ghost went by was ... Giacomo. He has one of the largest magical private libraries in existance, alongside a little known register for magic users. If Marinka doesn't know, he ought to."

"I have heard about it, but I was under the assumption the Library is sealed off," Alistair said, and Tallu shrugged her shoulders.

"I have been there before." She said and smiled. "It's a long story. Marinka is easier even if she comes with a price tag attached, especially if speed is a matter of essence."

"You rest. I will seek out this Marinka." Alistair bowed and vanished from her room without a trace. Tallu signed in relief and settled down on the small room's bed. Leaning forward, staring at her hands. She would have never thought she'd find an old fae who had just gone off at her words and fulfilled what had been more or fewer orders.

"This Test...what do you want from me? Save his daughter?" She asked herself and her magic. A magic that's remained silent. What did it want? Magic never came without proving oneself. It was a part of the fabric of the world and had a will of its own most of the time.

She fell back into the bed and closed her eyes. She hoped this test would stay on a track similar to what had happened until now. If it was about the investigation, she was confident she could manage. Somehow. But she had a feeling there was more to it.

"The scent of deer, someone strong enough to carry a grown resisting fae woman, Norse runes in a most likely crafted spell." She retold herself what she knew. "Think...deer, fae....a spell..."
Tallu closed her eyes, her thoughts running in circles. The darkness that surrounded her slowly drew her in. Alistair had been quite right; she needed sleep and rest.

---

With no clue how much time had passed, soft fur stroked her cheek, and she almost cuddled into it when her stuffed full human ears heard a sound loud enough for them to hurt.
Shooting upwards, she breathed harshly and had a glass bottle in her hand in seconds, her magicless self not appreciating the mental strain it had put on her to summon it, full of acid, ready to throw it at whatever was happening. Although the acid was not lethal, it hurt immensely and worked on almost everything. In front of her was a white fox, his fur looking funny in some places as if there were scars underneath, and it was the size of a horse with a single ashen tail swaying behind him. Tallu knew this fox; she would never mistake him.
"Asil." She muttered and put down the bottle, only to be jumped on top of it. She didn't resist; no matter how angry Asil was, he would never hurt her. He would never harm her. Suddenly she was buried underneath a giant fox, who leaned protectively over her and growled with ears tight to his head and an obviously bad mood.

"If I intended to harm her, I would have had a million chances until now." Another voice said, and she heard the sound of metal drawn. Alistair.

Asil growled again. This time so darkly that it worried Tallu.

"Calm down." She told him and stoked his leg to make him understand, to calm him somehow. The fox stilled a second and looked down at her with sapphire eyes.

"I don't think he understands you right now," Alistair said, but she turned to see him and saw him put his sword away. "Although consider me impressed, he seems to be recognizing you at least. He got a full dose of Honeysuckle and Nightshade. That usually knocks out most people completely, not just partially. Even Fae."

Honeysuckle was a drug to put someone in a trance-like state, used when injuries had to be treated; the patient was still there and would be quickly back but out of it enough that they would overlook the worst of their damage being treated. Nightshade was either a poisonous plant or, in the magical version, similar to speed. The drug was designer, scented, tasteless, and hard to procure, mostly inhaled.

Nightshade and Honeysuckle, weirdly enough, had two possible effects depending on what of the two was dosed higher; either it made a hefty aphrodisiac, or it knocked you out flat, on every basis. Gone to the world.
But how had Asil gotten both into his system in doses enough to effect him and ended up like this?

"That being said...we will be visiting the Library." Alistair pointed out cooly. "Madame Marinka....was less than forthcoming."

"What happened?" Tallu asked and crawled out from beneath Asil, keeping contact with him so he would stay calm. Sitting on the bed, Asil snuggled closer to her.

"A dispute." That was all that Alistair said. "We should hurry."

"Then let us pray Rika has shift today."

"Rika?"

"Our entrance, the library, is not as straighforward as paying and getting the information."

1