Epilogue
144 14 10
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapters 72 and 73 were also up today!

Thunder rumbled outside; Fay Greeley, of the Fellowship's Council, shivered and pulled her sweater more firmly around her broad shoulders. Storms made her uneasy; they held too much elemental power, utterly untamed and uncontrolled. Though she knew how strong the shields were, around this room where the Fellowship's Council had met since its formation a century before, she'd have preferred to be in her carefully environmentally-controlled home, under her own shields.

The five of them sat around the curve of a great semi-circular oak table, in a square limestone-walled room with a window on each of three sides and a door on the fourth; at least the closed curtains spared her the sight of the trees lashing in the storm, but the rain pounded on the roof mercilessly, and the thunder made the ground tremble, the vibrations travelling right through the stone floor.

“We have had no fewer than five members resign from the Fellowship in the last two months!” Norton Waller said angrily—but then, he said everything angrily, in Fay's experience. “All complaining that we overstepped ourselves forbidding contact with the Lyndells, or claiming that we waste Fellowship resources and opened the Fellowship to harassment by encouraging independents to see that it's best to join us!”

“And so far we've failed with the last few independents,” muttered Rosemary Kincaid. “God knows, the Terevan boy and his little gang need a leash.” She was still smarting, Fay knew, over her humiliation in an extremely upscale clothing store, when her credit card came up as having been reported stolen. She was hardly the only one. No one could prove that it was that grandson of Margaret Lyndell’s who was living with that insufferable Terevan boy and who compensated for his weak witchblood with a talent for computers, but there wasn’t much room for doubt.

“We need to do something to restore order within the Fellowship, before we lose any more!”

“Let them go,” Cordell Batista said lazily, reclining in his carved wooden chair as though on a throne. In his own mind, Fay thought, he was a king listening to his advisors wrangling. “If their loyalty is so tenuous, we can only be stronger without them.”

Power rippled, somewhere close, shivering across the shields. The heavy bronze-bound oak door, spell-locked by all five for security while they conducted Council business, trembled and opened.

While all five Council members stared, shocked speechless by this unprecedented intrusion, three people stepped inside. None showed any sign of being wet from the rain drumming against the windows. One Fay recognized as Margaret's blond grandson; that one stopped just inside the doors, leaning against the wall casually with his arms crossed, watching.

The other two... Christian Terevan was equally readily identifiable, the family resemblance unmistakable. Power beyond anything Fay had ever seen channelled and controlled outside of a prepared circle sparkled around him in a brilliant prismatic halo, turned him from a young man in simple black jeans and green T-shirt to a mage from a legend.

Beside him, keeping in perfect stride, was a woman... no, not a woman, not with that dark rippling aura, but she had the form of one, clad in sleek black leather that covered her long legs down to heeled boots, her arms down to fingerless gloves baring deadly-looking black nails, the collar of what looked to be a corset rising to frame her white neck but leaving a long narrow V bare to show a hint of cleavage. What was she?

Christian stopped, a short distance from the table; the woman halted half a step behind him, and spread wings made all of shadows and night, golden eyes flicking from one Council member to the next, measuring them coolly. Norton swallowed audibly, gaze fixed on her; Cordell, when Fay snuck a glance, seemed unable to look away from her.

I'm Christian Terevan.” It wasn't loud, but it carried, in the utter silence. “You have been, for quite some time now, attempting to badger and intimidate me into joining your Fellowship and accepting a mentor and master of your choosing. You have even made attempts on my life. I prefer to avoid confrontations whenever possible, so I've been letting it go, and waiting for you to tire of the game. Your childish obsession with having me under your control has caused me and mine unnecessary suffering and aggravation.” That soft voice hardened. “I have had enough. Any further provocation will be met with retaliation, by me and mine. Stay away from my house, my household, my friends, and me. Better still, stay out of my city entirely. Any further contact or spying on your part will be interpreted as hostile activity, and we will respond accordingly. Have I made myself sufficiently clear?”

Asima Hadar, the fifth Council member, nodded. She looked shaken, Fay observed distantly, but leave it to Asima to find her voice before anyone else. “Understood.”

“And before there is any possibility of future misunderstanding... the lady beside me is a lamia. There is nothing you can send that she can't kill, and nowhere you can go that she can't follow you, if you give her reason. I imagine false accusations of my using blood-magic or death-magic, based entirely on my association with her, would probably do that. Clear?”

“Understood,” Asima repeated. Rosemary looked like she was choking on rage—there was no way she could have revenge for her embarrassment now. And whether Christian was, in fact, indulging in blood- and death-magic or not—was there something about a lamia, not a liminal she’d ever heard of, that brought that into question?—it had just been made an implied death-sentence to accuse him of it.

“Good. I thought I'd come and tell you this in person, just to make sure we're all communicating. We're going home now, and I expect this to be the last time I have to deal with any of you. I have better things to spend my time on.” He turned his back on them, a gesture Fay read as contempt: he felt no fear in having them behind him. The dark woman—the lamia?—fell into step beside him, folding her wings back and somehow making them vanish altogether.

The three intruders departed; with a careless gesture, Christian made the door close and reset the spell-locks.

No one spoke, for a very long moment. Lightning flickered, and thunder rumbled, and the rain and wind assaulted the fragile glass barriers of the windows furiously.

“All in favour of making a formal apology to him and to the Lyndells, and looking into this accusation of attempts on his life?” Fay said finally.

“Yes to the apology,” Cordell said, “but I see no reason to waste more effort than that on the issue. Anyone who tries on their own will obviously get what's coming.” It came out distractedly, though, his attention elsewhere, and Fay thought she could make a good guess as to where.

“What if he takes it as a hostile act on our part, collectively, if one individual does something stupid?” Asima asked.

This was going to be one of those issues where everyone had opinions, Fay could see it now. To make it worse, Cordell and Norton were only halfway paying attention, Rosemary was sullen, and Asima all too obviously could hardly wait to escape the room and start new gossip. Fay sighed, and set herself to the task of bringing order back to that portion of chaos she had any hope of influencing, at least.

That's a wrap! I hope you had a good time hanging out in Christian's reality while he got himself established - I know it isn't my smoothest novel, that happens when reworking something that has been around since 1998! It's had a long history - an early version was almost picked up by a small publisher but they wanted changes I wasn't willing to make, and it's been shoved repeatedly to the bottom of my to-do list because I was never happy trying to fit it all into the length of a fairly conventional novel--too much relationship development and liminal interaction had to be cut out for that. Here, it can sprawl a bit if it wants to, you folks don't seem to mind! I will probably still turn it into an ebook so anyone who wants it can have a complete copy, though.

Sid was a real cat, by the way. He came to me in a very similar way, and lived with me until he wanted to live with my mother instead afer she lost hers. (Long story.) He was a sweet gentle boy, who crossed the rainbow bridge some years ago.

I do have the core premise for a sequel, which I might get around to writing one of these days: a liminal of another kind wants the Terevan library, and is willing to do some unfriendly things to get at it around Christian and Alexandra and all. The gamers would be back, and possibly Alexandra might need to ask Tori for backup, and there are other complications (of course!). Let me know whether I should bump that up the to-do list!

Anyway, thank you for taking the time to come share another one of my worlds, I really appreciate it, and I enjoy every comment thoroughly - the stories would be in my head anyway, but knowing that someone's reading and enjoying is what makes it worth finishing and editing them. You're awesome!

10