Chapter 11
0 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Youriii, how’s my favorite refugee doing?” I exclaimed when I saw him at uni the next day. Apparently Jeremy had carried me to my bed last night with the help of Reggie. They put my food in the fridge, allowing me to take it to uni the next day. 

“I’m um, do-doing well. How ab-about you?” His shoulders perked up as I put my arm around them. 

“Me too, me too. Did you know that today’s your special day? You’ll finally be moving in with us and become the latest addition to our little family!” 

“Oh yes! I am ver-very ex-exci- I look for-forward to it! Thanks ag-again for tak-taking me in. I’ll meet you aft-after class?” He questioned. 

“Mhm. But before you go, the codes. Something happened”-

“Oh, I wasn’t dir-direct with you. Sor-sorry. It was in-incomp-incomplete” Yepp. 

“It burnt down my PC and damaged the monitor. What went wrong?”

“WHAT? HOW? No, that should not have hap-happened” You don’t say…. “It must have been due to an ext-exter-external fac-factor. Un-unless, som-someone tamp-tampered with it. I’ll fix it for you. It’s the least I can do” He apologized, as we walked to his classroom.

“You don’t need to. I’m gonna take the computer to get fixed today”

“I meant the codes. I’ll make sure no one else can mess with them”-

“OYE EDEN!” Jeremy exclaimed from across the lab. Why is he here? “Come ‘ere!” The Rauxian beckoned me towards him. 

“Hm?”

“Tis is Anne, te girl I’ve been tellin’ ya so much about! She’s the rep of ‘er department!” 

“Oh, hi, I’m also the rep of mine” I waved with a smile. “Jeremy speaks really highly of you” Annalise… Reedan…. Anne…. Reedan…. She really thought she did something…

“I hope he hasn’t told you everything about me. He just loves to run his mouth” She blushed, trying to cover her face. You aren’t slick…

“HUH? I’m right ‘ere guys!”-

“Hahahaha I know right! Listen, can I talk to you outside?” I asked, grabbing her by the arm and pulling her out of the lab. 

“Ahh what the hell’s your deal!? Do you grab onto any woman you just meet like that!?” 

“You really thought you did something there, Roxy. How the hell did you even become rep so quickly?” 

“Huh? What do you mean? I’m not Roxy” The liar whispered, her face turning even more red. 

“You can take the wig off, you know” 

“Tch, how the hell did you see through it so easily?”

“Cause I’m not an idiot? How have your weeks of classes and deceit been coming along?”

“Great so far! The professors have already been over my CV, so they all knew what I was capable of. I’m really excited. We finally get to start working on physical AI!” She cheered jubilantly with eyes as round as tennis balls. “Also the junior students love me so far. I’m like their hot senior” She giggled, flipping her hair. 

“Why did you leave Baulder after one year though?” Personally I don’t mind the fact that she lied or hid it. “I’m not mad, just curious as to why you transferred when you were being taught the same thing over there”

“Oh it’s cause, um” She leaned in close, whispering one word: “Franz”. Of course… Just what else has he and his unlimited budget been planning?  On the bright side, it didn’t take long to recruit her at all. 

“How much do you know?” I’ve kept her up to date with all my exploits except for everything that happened since the semester started. 

“Just that you’re working with Squad Ten now, and are looking to make a team. Nothing more than that” 

“Hm alright. I don’t have class today so- wait shit, I do! Sutner set a make-up one! Shit, sorry, gotta go. We’ll talk more when I’m done!” I declared, running off. Once again, I bumped into Vladimir on the way. 

“Why are we always late together?!?” He cried as we powerwalked.

“I have an excuse, can’t speak on your behalf though” I replied, opening the door.

“And ONCE AGAIN Eden and Vladimir are late!” Sutner exclaimed upon our entrance.

“I, sir, well. We, uh. It’s, I, it’s not what it looks like! We didn’t, I, It’s complicat”- Vladimir mumbled.

“Stop acting like you’ve been caught having an affair. It’s not that serious. Sit down!”

“Did Carver not come in again sir?” I enquired, taking a seat. 

“He’s literally right behind you” The DC sighed as General Carver tapped me on the shoulder.

“I decided to give Sutner free reign today. I want to see how he can manage on his own” The old man remarked. 

“GENERAL CARVER SIR WE NEVER NOTICED YOUR ENTRY!” The entire class erupted, standing up to salute him. 

“Some fine detectives you’ll make” Sutner groaned.

“It’s ok, carry on” Carver laughed. After a couple hours of nothing eventful happening, the class finally ended. “I must say Jim, you have improved greatly in my absence. You’ll be able to fill up these big old boots once I hang them up” He smiled, patting his subordinate on the shoulder. Hmm, let’s put this into perspective. I turned twenty-one back in July, Sutner should be around 36/37, and Carver’s 54; give or take some years. Either way, the retirement age is 65, meaning the old man has eleven years left, unless he chooses to retire before then. By that point, Sutner will be close to 48, leaving him with just under 20 years to create his own legacy and status once he takes over. In 11 years, I’ll be 32, and twenty after that (Give or take some years) is 52. Leaving me with only 13 years to do the same.  IF I plan on following their routes of co- WHY THE HELL AM I THINKING ABOUT THAT RIGHT NOW?!?!?! I literally just turned 21…. I have my entire life ahead of me…

“Thank you sir. Also Eden, here’s the autopsy report. I saved you the trouble of having to pick it up” The DC informed, handing me the file. 

“Understood. Is there anything else?”

“Not at the moment. You’re dismissed” I nodded, taking my leave from the two. 

“Ed-Eden, is your class done?” A familiar voice questioned. 

“Yepp, just finished. How about you and Anne?” I assume she hasn’t revealed her true identity to the others. Wait, Jeremy definitely knows. He was talking about a redhead AI student who transferred here, only to suddenly say she was a brunette. Meaning Roxy asked him to hide it from me. But, why? Why go through that length? Isn’t being straightforward so much simpler? There’s only so much sneaky ass string pulling you can do…

“Yes same here. She’s wai-waiting for us out-outside. Al-also she helped me fig-figure out the prob-problem with my codes” Don’t mean to sound rude but is there a way to get him to speak in monosyllables? “Som-someone tamp-tampered with it to try lin-linking it up to the ent-entire cont-contin-continent. It was’t com-compa-compatib-compatible” He’s speaking in even bigger syllables… Then again the poor guy can’t help it. It’s not right for me to judge him.

“Anything else?”

“It just conf-confirms that it was-wasn’t my fault” He stated, most likely reassuring himself.

“I never blamed you, don’t be so hard on yourself. HOLY FUCK IT’S SUTNER!”

“Watch your goddamn language” The DC retorted.

“I’ll leave you to it” Youri whispered.

“Actually I’m here for you. The receptionist said she needed to finalize one last thing with your transcripts” He explained. 

“I’ll leave you to it” I laughed. “Meet me in the parking lot when you’re done!” I called out, heading towards Roxy. 

“Where’s Youri?” She asked. 

“Wow that’s it? We see each other for the first time in months and there’s no; ‘hiii how was your day?’ or ‘Did you enjoy class?’ or anything like that?”

“I was going to ask!” 

“He’s on his way. Just has to sort out some things”

“What’s our plan?”

“You and Youri head home in the Lambo. I’ll take this thing to get the merc and drop off the monior”… I forgot the monitor… “Wait, we’ll all go home together, then take a bigger car to drop off the monitor and pick up our- why do we need to use so many cars in either situation?” Seems like a huge waste of fuel, even if Franz’s parents are the ones paying. 

“Reggie could accompany us and take one of the cars back. I’m sure we have other things to do as well”

“That could work. We’ll ask him when we get home” So she’s been in touch with Reggie as well…

“All his admission crap is over with now. He’s all yours” Sutner informed as he walked towards us with Youri. I’m adopting an adult….

“Don’t I need to do something else before becoming his legal guardian?” I enquired.

“Yes, but not right now. I’ll let you know when. Don’t you have other things to focus on?” He turned to face Youri. “Also, kid, I’ve let the housing shelter know you’re moving out, so I’ll bring your stuff over later today, or tomorrow” He patted him on the shoulder before walking away. Perfect. That settles things. Jeremy joined up with us soon after. “Oyeee, hwat’s up gu-”

“Shut up. You’re taking the car you left behind by yourself”

“Aw ok” He sighed, walking away with slumped shoulders.

“AT LEAST TAKE THE KEYS YOU DUMBASS!” I declared, throwing them at him. 

“You don’t need to be so rude!” Roxy chided. 

“No no trust me, I do” He deserves every second of this.

“I know I’ve said it bef-before but thank you for tak-taking me in. You di-didn’t have to go this far” Didn’t is a two syllable word? Also should I ask Youri about his past, or is it too soon?”

“You don’t have to thank me Youri, it’s the least I could do”

“We’re thrilled to have you around and I look forward to us becoming better friends!” Roxy exclaimed. As fellow tech geeks and classmates, I’m sure they’d get along. But are two tech geeks needed? Does Youri have some kind of power that can be useful in the field?

Reggie, as usual, stood outside the door as we pulled up. “Monsieur Eden” He nodded.

“We have a new addition to our team. Please make sure his room’s ready. His stuff should be dropped off within a day or two” I explained. “BUT before that, we need to get the monitor fixed and pick up the Merc” Wait, we have Jeremy, Reggie isn’t needed for this. “Actually yeah just please set up Youri’s room. We’ll be back later” 

“Understood. Anything else?”

“Can you help me carry the monitor?” I requested as Roxy and Youri followed me inside. “Welcome to our not so humble abode” Youri seemed unfazed, which was strange. Wouldn’t a refugee entering a mansion for the first time have a much more, amazed reaction?

“It’s ve-very nice. I look for-forward to get-getting ac-acc-accustomed with you all. I a-appri-apprici-appriciate your hos-hospi-hospital-hospitali-hospitality” His head bobbed with each syllable. Our next recruit should be a telepath so we could just read his thoughts. I doubt he thinks in stutters. Also we definitely need a group therapist given the baggage we all carry. As their leader, it should essentially be me. But I’m not quite there yet. 

“Glad you like it. But before we continue, there’s just one more errand we gotta run” I stated, loading the monitor onto the pick-up truck. “Shall we?”

0