Chapter 20 – Proving It.
173 1 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Father!" Lilliana came running down the stairs and leaped into the Nobleman's arms. "Father! I thought I'd never see you again." She started to cry as she clung to him. It had been several weeks since she was captured, and she was worried that she'd never see him or her family again.

"Lilliana!" The man clung to her tightly. "I'm so glad you're alright! When you suddenly vanished, I thought..." A few small tears could be seen forming in the man's eyes. "Thank you, Lawerance. Thank you for saving my daughter." He smiled as he looked at his friend. He'd nearly lost his only daughter, and the though of such horror had haunted him ever since she disappeared.

"You shouldn't be thanking me, John." Lawerance shook his head. "Rather, you should be thanking my son, Emile, and his Spirit Partner, Cher. They were the ones who insisted we strike immediately, and they planned everything out." He pointed to Emile and Cher who were sitting on the sofa.

{Lily and I basically did nothing. I doubt we were even really needed for that whole operation.} (Lawerance)

"Your son..." John's eyes slowly moved to Emile's. "I see, they're a Spirit Pair. You must be a proud man, Lawerance." He gave a slight bow to the two of them. "Thank you both for saving my daughter. I am truly in your debt."

Cher had a smug look on her face, but Emile told the man not to worry about it.

"I just couldn't stand the thought of children being harmed. I've seen enough things like that in my life, and I'll never sit back while kids are in harms way." Emile shook his head.

{I saw enough of that in Italy, and I know what kind of sick fucks exist in this world.} (Emile)

"Now that I think about it, Amanda did mention something about her youngest son being special, but I was too busy racing toward your home listen." John laughed loudly.

"Yes, so busy that you neglected to bring a single guard with you." Amanda sighed. "You're lucky that we crossed paths on the way back from the Capital. What were you thinking coming alone like that? You could've been harmed!" She figured a lone Nobleman would make for an attractive and easy target.

"I wasn't thinking about my own safety, Amanda. I just wanted to make sure my daughter was ok, and besides, I can handle myself." John shrugged. He was a relatively competent caster, so against most bandits he would've been fine. "I originally wanted to come during the night when I got that message from your runner, but I was persuaded to wait until today. I think that shows my restraint."

{That and Kathline was physically restraining me from leaving the house. I swear, that woman...} (Kathline)

"A Baron may be the lowest Noble title, but you really shouldn't forget your station as you do." Lawerance sighed. John rarely acted like a proper Noble, and his very lax attitude about his rank rubbed many other Nobles the wrong way. Though it did endear him to most of the common folk he dealt with, and he generally prioritized them over other Nobles. "But then again, this is John, so why am I even surprised at this point?"

{So this is an actual noble? He seems a bit more reasonable than I thought, but perhaps he's just an outlier. I suppose being a Baron means he's only slightly higher rank than Amanda, so it makes sense.} Emile had always held a very dim view of Nobles. Most of this was due to the stories in school, as Nobles were often described as tyrannical, backwards and worthless.

"Mom is always saying you act more like a commoner than a Noble and how I shouldn't let your bad habits rub off on me." Lilliana giggled. Though she was generally no better than her father, and it was likely already too late for her to be a 'proper' Noblewoman by Imperial standards.

"Don't listen to your mother." John pat her on the head. "Would you rather be some stuffy Noblewoman who won't get her hands dirty and does nothing but have tea parties, or a strong, powerful Noblewoman who can kick butt and defend her people?"

"Do you even have to ask?" Lilliana snickered.

"That's my girl!" John laughed loudly as he picked her up and hugged her.

"He seems like a nice dad." Cher giggled.

"Yes, he does." Emile agreed. He was a family man himself, and he always put Louise and Arnold first in his life, so he was happy that the people he met in this life were similar.

{Spending time with my boy and Louise was always the happiest moments of my life... I... miss them both so much...} (Emile)

"Have you made a report to Count Amberherst?" John asked as he put Lilliana down. He wasn't the highest-ranking Noble of this territory, and the Count would need to be informed of the attempted kidnapping. Amberherst was an old and rather stoic Nobleman, but both of them knew that when he got angry he was a force to be reckoned with.

{He's probably going to raise hell to His Majesty once he hears about this...} (Amanda)

"I sent a messenger, though he has yet to return." Lawerance answered. "I imagine he'll want to be involved in any investigation since this occurred within his territory, and knowing Louis he's going to use all his connections to figure out what the hell went wrong."

"This matter goes far beyond Count Amberherst's jurisdiction." Albert spoke up. "Once we return to the Capital, I'll speak with His Majesty about this matter directly. The kidnapping of Spirit Hosts is a grave offense, and since this involves a Church member going rogue, that complicates things further." He was also worried that Count Amberherst might start taking independent action if he deemed the official response to be lacking, as he'd done that before.

"Ummm." Lilliana wanted to speak and Albert motioned for her to continue. "I don't know if this helps any, but Father Ernest mentioned something about selling us to the Ruby Kingdom. I think he was acquiring Spirit Hosts for some kind of trade with them, and it sounded like he'd been in contact with their agents for some time." She'd only got bits and pieces from conversations she overheard.

"That... that complicates things further." Albert grumbled. He knew the Kingdom was using covert methods to undermine the Empire, and had been heating up over the last several years. If they were this active, then it could only mean one thing...

{The only reason to capture Spirit Hosts is to use them as weapons during war. I don't know how many the Ruby Kingdom has under its control, but it's likely a significant number. Unlike in the Empire, the Kingdom requires their service to the crown as a matter of law and they tend to take them from their families at an early aged and indoctrinate them.} (Albert)

"Where is the other boy?" Albert asked about the second child that was reported to have been found. "I was told that two children were kidnapped. Is he alright?" He didn't see him here.

"He's resting upstairs at the moment, Albert." Denise slowly descended the stairs and came into the living room. "I just finished giving him his next dose, Emile, and he seems to be doing better than earlier." She'd been keeping an eye on him since Amanda and her group got to the house.

"Thank you." Emile smiled. He'd been grateful to her help, and she and Cher had been forced to do most of the literal heavy lifting since he couldn't.

"Dose? Was he sick?" John asked, not sure what was going on with the boy.

"Those men injured his leg during his capture, and it got infected. He nearly died." Lilliana said sadly. She'd felt sorry for the boy, and was angry that she couldn't do anything to help him.

"It's a miracle he survived such an injury." Albert mused. He'd known many soldiers who died from infected wounds, and was well aware of what happened to most who reached that point.

"No miracles here." Denise shook her head as she walked over to Emile. "It's thanks to Emile and Cher that he survived. His medical knowledge and use of medicine from his world saved the boy. I'm a master apothecary, and what I had couldn't do anything for him." She didn't like to admit that she couldn't help much, but wasn't about to lie.

{If I recall, this is the Elf that Lawerance and Amanda used to adventure around with. I haven't met her in some time, but I've heard her name from time to time when I've spoken to Amanda. There aren't many Elves that live within the Empire, and most of them live in a few select villages. So I wonder why she wonders around freely, unlike the rest of her kin?} (Albert)

"I am aware that Amanda has claimed that not only is her youngest son a Spirit Host but that he is also an individual who reincarnated." Albert gave a stern look at Emile. "Since I'm here, I may as well test you." He walked over and stuck his hand out, trying to touch Emile but was stopped by Cher who grabbed his wrist, stopping him in his tracks.

"What do you think you're doing?" Cher growled. Her eyes told him that another step would mean she broke his wrist.

"I need to confirm that this young man is indeed a Spirit Host." Albert glared back at her. "I presume you are the Spirit Partner."

"That's what people keep calling me." Cher replied without flinching for a second. "But you didn't answer my question, WHAT are you going to do to him?" She wasn't about to allow anyone near Emile without verifying their intent.

"Cher, Albert is a good man, so you don't need to worry about-" Amanda tried to reassure her but was cut off.

"Sorry to sound rude, Amanda, but you and your husband weren't able to tell that Ernest was a corrupt Priest, while Emile and I saw it immediately. So forgive me for doubting you as a judge of character, since your current track record is 0-1." Cher didn't take her eyes off Albert. "So, are you going to answer me? Or do I have to eject you from this house?"

{Do you really need to go this far?} Emile asked her telepathically.

{It's my job to protect you, so cut me some slack. I'm not letting ANYONE harm you, and I don't trust this man. That Priest slipped past everyone else, so what's to say he's any different?} (Cher)

"You'd fight me?" Albert smirked. He'd fought Spirit Partners before, and was surprised to see Cher willing to go toe to toe with him on her own.

"If it came to it." Cher grinned. "Just don't be shocked when I send you to the infirmary." She tightened her grip on his wrist slightly.

{This girl... She's anything but weak. I've never seen a Partner have this much power so early, and I have a feeling that fighting her would be a challenge. To be perfectly honest with myself, I'm not certain I'd win against her on my own.} (Albert)

Seeing that escalation would be both self defeating and unwise, he opted to explain himself.  "I simply wish to look into his mind." Albert answered. "Confirming your status as a Partner is easy, as it can be done with a magical appraisal. But the only way I would feel comfortable certifying that Emile is truly a reincarnation would be to see into his memories myself. I need to determine if what's in his mind is simply a fantasy, an implantation or the real deal. Please forgive my skeptisism, but what Amanda has reported is a bit... hard to believe." This was the more important of the two, and he needed to be certain of this fact before he reported it to the Emperor.

Cher let out a small laugh. "So you want to see it? You want to see all of it?" She started laughing more, and the way she was doing so was slightly unnerving to Amanda and Lawerance. "Emile, what do you say? This is your mind and your memories. Whatever choice you make, I'll respect." She figured that Albert would get more than he bargained for if he went into Emile's mind. 

{Don't believe that Emile and I have been through hell? Fine, then how about we show you the truth.} (Cher)

"I don't mind." Emile sighed, seeing that Cher was in one of her moods. "Just understand sir, that you might not like what you see..." He shook his head. He knew that even grown men didn't like seeing the horrors of war, and that the people of  this world had no context for what he was about to show them.

"I've been on battlefields and seen far more carnage than you can ever imagine. There's nothing in your mind that could disturb me." Albert said confidently.

{Amanda said he was a soldier and doctor in his prior life, so he's probably seen some gruesome things. However, I am skeptical of the scale reported by Ernest. He might have been exaggerating, and with his status as a traitor I can't take his words seriously.} (Albert)

"Can you make it so that we could see it as well?" Amanda asked. "I've only heard their explanations, so I'd like to see it for myself as well." As a soldier, she figured that she could handle it, and as Emile's 'mother' she wanted to see what her 'son' experienced. 

{I'd like to understand just what caused his mind to become so damaged. To know just what kind of horror he saw to make him into who he is today.} (Amanda)

"Yes, that should be possible." Albert nodded. He could visualize memories to other people via a modified version of the spell. It was one used frequently by the military and helped with a planning.

"If you're going to do that..." Emile looked over at Lilliana, Roy and Millela. "Then I recommend the children be moved to another room. This... this isn't something they should see." He knew that this would be too much for the children to see.

{Even old war movies can be too much for them,  but to see the real thing...} (Emile)

"On the contrary." John interjected. "These kids will one day grow up to lead their houses or do battle. It would do them well to see the horrors of war from an early age." He figured this was a good opportunity for them to learn.

"Indeed. We are a knight family, this is what Robert and Millela are training for." Amanda nodded. "They should also see this. There's no better way to show them just how horrible war is than to have them see it for themselves."

"Yeah!" Robert nodded. "We're not weak kids! We can handle it." He was trying to act tough, but was slightly worried on the inside.

"Indeed, we can handle it, brother Emile." Millela smiled.

{They're only saying that because they don't understand what it is that I've seen...} Emile didn't like the idea of showing children what he saw during the Wars, but if that was what they and their parents wanted, he wouldn't object. "Then I'll show it, on the condition that you agree to let them leave if they feel uncomfortable." He wouldn't allow them to force the children to stay if they got uncomfortable.

"Agreed." (Amanda x Lawerance x John)

"Alright, then." Albert put his hand on Emile's head and began channeling magic. "Then let's see what's in your mind. Is there anything, in particular, you would like to show us."

Emile thought for a moment, but nothing specific came to mind as most of his battles were bloody no matter the era.

"Aisne." Cher said one word, and that was all it took to convince Emile that that battle was what needed to be shown. "I'll direct you to the correct memory, but just be warned, this isn't going to be pretty." The Second Battle of the Aisne (Pronounced EH-NUH) was, while not the bloodies moment of the war, was a moment that always stuck out in both their minds as showing the absolute hell they faced. She could've chosen Verdun, but that was a different kind of nightmare.

"We shall see." Albert replied as he peered into Emile's mind, and with a bit of magic projected an illusion in the air that reminded Cher and Emile of an old school projected, on which was a much younger Emile sitting in the back of a transport truck.

{I never thought I'd get to see that day again in such detail...} (Emile)

Please check out the discord for teasers for the upcoming chapters and general fun. You can get there here.

Next Chapter: Chapter 21 - A Glimpse of Hell.

7