Chapter 24 – A Discussion and a Warning.
279 2 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The next day, Albert returned back to the Imperial Capital to make his report and provide his recommendations to the Emperor on what to do with Emile. At this point in time, it wasn't clear what was going to happen in Emile's future, but Albert stated that he was going to press hard for a cooperative relationship between him and the Palace. With Emile's advanced knowledge and military background, he was hoping for something akin to a technology transfer, and he even asked if Emile would consider becoming a teacher at the Imperial War College in the future, something Emile said he'd consider.

As per his orders, Falen and Christina would remain at the manor for the foreseeable future. They would act as official guards until Emile could properly defend himself, and there was a worry of additional kidnapping attempts. Currently there was a lot of worry that external forces from either the Kingdom or the Restorationists would try and seize him again, so for now, information on Emile would be subject to strict lock down, and only those who needed to know would.

"Once again, thank you for saving my daughter." John shook Emile's hand just before he got ready to leave.

"Yes, thank you, Sir Emile." Lilliana had cleaned up and gotten new clothes. She looked like the picturesque image of a young Noblewoman and gave a curtsy to Emile. "You saved not only my life but that of Roy's. I promise you that I will one day repay this favor." Her eyes told Emile that she was serious, though he had no idea what kind of repayment she meant.

"There's no reason for you to worry about such things." Emile shook his head, dismissing the idea of them having a debt with him. "I just couldn't leave someone in danger when I could do something about it. I don't need any kind of repayment."

"That's what we do as Knights." Amanda smiled proudly. "We protect and defend without worry about things like that."

{Though I suspect saving the life of a Noble, even a baron's daughter, is going to warrant some level of repayment out of social obligation. John isn't the most traditional of Nobles, but there's no way he'd let this go without giving something back. The only question is, what will he try and give?} (Amanda)

After finishing their discussion, John and Lilliana left to return back to their home in Valmund. Things had finally calmed down, something Cher and Emile were glad for, but it seemed that not everything was settled as Amanda requested to speak with both of them in her office a short while later.

"Please have a seat." Amanda ushered them to sit in front of her desk as she sipped on some tea. "First of all, I want to praise the two of you for your decisive action in rescuing Lilliana and Roy. Ordinarily, I would classify a four-year-old going on such a dangerous mission as reckless, but this is a special occasion. You saved the life of not just an Imperial Noble but two Spirit Hosts, and that alone will likely put you in good light within the Palace and the Office." She was proud of him for taking such actions, but was worried that he may push himself too hard. He might have been a man with decades of experience, but he was still in a young boy's body.

"As I said, I didn't do it for recognition." Emile shook his head. "I just did the right thing."

{I was raised to help others if I could, and that's how I've always been. Louise would sometimes get mad at me for going out of my way for people, but I just want to make the world a better place, even if only slightly.} (Emile)

"And while I appreciate and approve of such an attitude, understand that going forward things will not be that simple." Amanda's eyes became sharp. "Being a Spirit Host is one thing. Your life would already be different just because of that fact alone..." She sighed, as she knew only trouble awaited in the future. "But you are also someone with a lifetime of experience in a world far different and more advanced than ours. I'm sure you can imagine that there will be many who would want their hands on you."

{I can think of a dozen things that I would want from him, and that's only the start.} (Amanda)

"It makes sense." Emile nodded. "And now that we know that memories can be recalled and viewed as Albert did, that will only increase my value." He figured that within his mind was a ton of information that he'd just forgotten over the years, and with something like that he could give much more information. Cher even mentioned that he might be able to aid in other areas of development, since he could show some of the items that he'd seen or worthed with, even if he didn't understand them entirely. In that regard, Cher's words already seemed to be ringing true, as Millela had mentioned an interest in mechanical power and steam engines like the ones his grandfather dealt with, and he figured viewing those memories with magic would help in replicating such things.

"Yes, Millela has been writing nonstop about some of the things you've told her in your spare time." Amanda continued. "But what has me most worried is what we witnessed yesterday. That battlefield was far more gruesome than I ever imagined, and I've been to war myself." She shook her head. "I don't want to see such things come to this world. That kind of hell... it just..."

{I don't want to see it, and I doubt any parent wants to send their children to such a battlefield. I already worry about my own children's well being as future Knights, but I know that stopping them would be hypocritical.} (Amanda)

"This world will one day get there with or without Emile's help." Cher commented. "Technology/Magic will always progress, and eventually scenes like what you saw will come here. Emile's knowledge would speed things up, but an embargo on military information wouldn't stop it from happening with or without him." She knew human history was centered around warfare and its advancement. People of the Middle Ages could have never imagined that one day the entire continent would be engulfed in a war that made even the largest of the day look insignificant, and yet it still happened. She figured that it was only a matter of time until some inventor figured out how to create even rudematary versions of Earth's weapons, and then eventually things would spiral from there.

"I really don't want that to happen though." Emile shook his head. "Even the basic knowledge of military weapons that I have would completely upend this world's military and political structure. If the Empire could mass produce a weapon even a fraction as potent as Cher, it would likely be enough to destroy every nation around it." He feared that one nation having all that power would not end well.

"That was my concern as well." Amanda nodded. "So, while I won't ask you not to share such information, just please be careful with what you give and to whom." She looked between the two of them. "I'm sure over the coming years that plenty of Nobles or even Royals will approach you to curry your favor. If you want my advice, don't take any of it. Nobles don't do charity, and even a good deal will likely be little more than shackles."

{If Johan tries anything, I will resist him as much as I can. I don't want to take up arms against him, but my family is more important than my loyalty to him.} Amanda pushed her treasonous thoughts to the side before continuing.

"We're going to need some outside help if we're to get Emile's medical technology created." Cher pointed out that external funding and connections would be a necessity. “So it might be inevitable that we'll come to rely on external help.”

"Possibly." Amanda nodded. "However, there is a way to alleviate things. For example, when you turn twelve you could register as an adventurer and earn money that way. By that point, you'll be strong enough to use magic, and your understanding of Cher's power will be more mature. You should have no issue handling monsters to earn good money, and that will mean less reliance on aid from wealthy patrons."

She'd done it herself for a while, but it was not something she was originally going to encourage her kids to do. It was dangerous and while useful for gaining combat experience it could easily result in their deaths.

"That's too long to wait." Emile shook his head. "If I need to wait nearly ten years, then so many people that could be saved might die." Denise would be able to help him with some things, but she was not an infinite bank of money and connections.

"If John was anything higher than a Baron, I'd say we use him." Amanda said. "He's trustworthy enough, and the debt he feels to you would stop him from trying anything."

{I hate that I need to pull the we saved your daughter card on him, but it might be needed in this case...} (Amanda)

"Is there really no other Nobles you trust?" Cher was curious as to why Amanda was so skeptical. She understood that Nobles could be schemers, but didn't know the ins and outs of Imperial politics.

{If they are anything like Nobles from Earth, then they are probably assholes. Smart assholes, but assholes nonetheless.} (Cher)

"It's not that I don't trust them. It's just that Nobles are going to do whatever they can to secure their positions and advance their interests." Amanda sighed as she recalled some of her own run ins with them. "For example, if Lilliana was the daughter of anyone else, they'd tried to pawn her off to you as a reward/gift." She'd seen that many times during her life, and heard plenty of stories.

Emile shuddered. "There's a million levels of wrong with that." He didn't really have an interest in getting remarried, not to mention he was a hundred-plus-year-old man. Marrying a literal child, even if his body was the same age, was NOT going to be something he was ok with.

{I will put a bullet through ANY Noble who tries something like that with Emile!} Cher was not happy with the thought of Emile marrying some Noble daughter out of obligation or for political reasons.

"I was married to one woman for over seventy years. I don't know if I even have the capacity to marry someone else, and that's a flat-out NO for a child." Emile scowled at Amanda.

{I'm not one of those fucking creeps. I put a bullet through a few of those fucks heads during the war, and I'd sooner take my own life than become like them.} (Emile)

"I completely understand that. Though in this world, marriage is expected, even for those in a Knight family." Amanda had married Lawerane out of love, but she couldn't deny that a bit of politicking played a role in their meeting.

"If you're thinking of forcing something like that upon Emile, then understand that we will have a problem." Cher gave a scary smile as she pointed between herself and Amanda.

{I'm not above kicking your ass, Amanda.} (Cher)

"I will not force anything on Emile." Amanda shook her head a bit more rapidly than she expected, likely understanding subconsciously that Cher's threat was very real. "I'm just saying that you need to be prepared for Nobles to try something like that. If you want to work with any Noble house, I'd advise being very careful and asking for help from the Office first. You're strange position means that they, and/or the Palace will take great interest in your activities, which might mean that most Nobles will back off from their normal shenanigans."

{The only problem is that the Palace itself might pull some bullshit if we're not careful. Johan isn't a bad man, but he's a crafty son of a bitch and will do whatever it takes to protect the Empire. The last thing we need is for him to try something, and that necessitating me pulling the most damaging weapon out of my arsenal.} (Amanda)

Please check out the discord for teasers for the upcoming chapters and general fun. You can get there here.

Next Chapter: Chapter 25 - Teacher and Pupil.

6