Chapter 44: Death and Rebirth
269 1 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Finally, they were about to confront it head-on.

Clutching the chain in his hand, Akiyama Ryo and the rest of the team sat together in their makeshift camp, with a heavy transport plane prepared to carry them to their deaths nearby.

Everyone in the camp was equipped with jetpacks, and their entire bodies were covered with protective gear, leaving no part of them exposed, much like astronauts in a space movie.

However, their purpose for wearing this gear had nothing to do with space travel.

Their objective was simply to offer themselves as sacrifices.

The jetpacks were meant to allow them to fly close to Godzilla's body and disrupt its movements.

The protective gear was intended to keep them alive while doing so, preventing Godzilla from sensing their presence.

Even the small explosives hidden inside their clothing were for the chance that someone might get close to Godzilla's head and self-destruct inside its mouth when it prepared to use its atomic breath.

None of these equipments were designed to serve the wearer's well-being.

They were a complete suicide kit, and once they put it on, it was as if they were saying they wouldn't come back alive.

Once they donned this gear, it signified their journey to the netherworld.

"Why did all of you come to the frontline to fight Godzilla?" With three hours left until Godzilla entered the defense line, they couldn't just do nothing during this time.

Someone broke the silence and tried to use conversation to pass the time during their last three hours of life.

However, no one responded to the question, leaving the person who asked feeling awkward.

To ease the atmosphere, he decided to start by introducing himself.

"Let me start. I'm a member of the Far East Land Forces. My parents passed away a few years ago, and I haven't found the right person to start a family with."

"Ever since I became the only one in my family, my life lost its purpose. I was just living day by day, not knowing what kind of worthless life I was leading."

"No goals, no dreams. But even so, I still wanted to help others, to have a glorious end. So, after Godzilla's landing, I chose to stay behind."

"What about all of you?"

After sharing his experience, he waited in silence. Eventually, another person spoke up.

"I've been away from home for 15 years. During this time, I've achieved nothing and even burdened my family."

"My mother and father passed away because of their grudges against me, and I've been nothing but a burden. So this time, I want to clear up all this mess."

As the second person spoke, the atmosphere gradually improved. The third person immediately followed:

"I'm a civil servant. My mother passed away early, and my father died from a hereditary disease. A few days ago, I was also diagnosed with the same illness."

"A hereditary disease? I have it too..."

"I have one from East Asia..."

As more people started sharing their experiences, the initially awkward atmosphere disappeared entirely. They were all talking about their encounters, both positive and negative.

Some were young and spirited individuals fighting to protect their home and country, willing to make Godzilla pay for the sacrifices of their compatriots.

Some were miserable and hateful, seeking escape from debts and wishing for a quick death.

Others ignored their parents' objections, determined to keep the invaders outside their homes, loyal soldiers who loved their homeland.

There were also brave men who believed they should die on the land that gave them life.

There were also some individuals who didn't know why they stayed and ended up in the transport vehicles.

As the discussion continued, Akiyama Ryo also joined in, but he didn't reveal the death of his wife and daughter. Instead, he comforted others who had been compelled to join the battle.

As he comforted others, Akiyama Ryo started reflecting on his own emotions. Why did he refuse to go to East Asia and choose to stay?

Was it because Godzilla killed his family and left him with nothing but resentment?

Was it because he didn't want to leave the memories of their home?

Or was it because of his determination to protect their home?

The main reason for him choosing to stay was the latter, while the rest...

He thought about the others he had seen in the past few days who had similar experiences, like the girl who lost her parents.

If the Eastern Region fell, Godzilla would directly face East Asia.

Once Hokkaido was destroyed, his role as the Emergency Minister of Hokkaido would become meaningless. So why not shine where he could be useful?

He was the Emergency Minister of Hokkaido.

...

"My reason for staying?"

"I owe a huge amount of debt outside, and I also have three children to support. But this time, if I die fighting Godzilla and win glory for my family, things will change."

"With glory, those people who lend money with high-interest rates won't dare to come after us anymore. And you know what? There will be compensation for the dead, and maybe even their tuition will be covered."

"Besides, I'm the type of person who wants to contribute to my hometown, even though I've never achieved much in my life."

"At least in the future, my children can say that their father was a hero!"

Someone said this with a smile, and the world language with a distinct regional accent elicited laughter from the others. But at the same time, they felt sympathetic towards his experiences, laughing, crying, and sharing their heartfelt stories.

As time passed, the three hours quickly slipped away while they were talking.

Even though they didn't realize how long they had been chatting, the sky was already bright when they finished sharing their thoughts.

At this moment, the broadcast came on.

"Godzilla has made contact with the first wave of troops in the south wing. All personnel, immediately enter the transport vehicles. After the alarm sounds, advance towards Godzilla!"

The last three hours were over. People stood up, locked themselves into the transport vehicles, and awaited the command for their final charge.

Akiyama Ryo lined up and walked into the transport vehicle, clenching his fist.

For his reunion, for the future of others.

The ultimate battle that decided the fate of both sides in the Eastern Region officially began at this moment.

In the distance, amidst the mountains, Godzilla engaged in direct conflict with the people.

Tanks fired rockets, drones took off from the sea with secret weapons, and Godzilla's atomic breath swept across the sky.

Death was for rebirth.

Destruction was for regeneration.


If you want to see multiple chapters ahead of this one for free, go to this link, However, if you want to see more chapters in advance than the one on the given link, you can go to my Patreon.

3