Chapter 2 – New Assignment
282 3 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Columns of smoke could be seen surrounding a darkened field riddled with craters. Actual bodies were nowhere to be seen, but the stench of blood remained fresh even with the windows of the automobile closed. I was used to the smell due to my days in the academy, but I still couldn’t help but pinch my nose. 

 

“The initial invasion contained a force of one hundred and twenty divisions, but with such a large buildup of forces, they were fully prepared for us. This is the result, a stalemate despite overwhelming numbers.” The coach driver informed me. He was a sergeant of the 203rd Crown Prince Infantry Regiment I’ve taken the helm of, “It seems like the Azir dogs even snuck a bomb into the Fort Barfen.”

 

He sighs before continuing.

 

“There’s so many questions around the Barfen incident, yet high command has been tight-lipped about it, despite the morale problem. It baffles me y’know?”

 

He drones on endlessly as the scenery passes by. Giving him the most perfunctory nods and “Hmms,” I absentmindedly dreaded my new position. On the one hand, there was more coffee and sugar, but... My life is pretty damn important as well. Before I knew it, we had arrived at the Forward Operating Base.

 

“And here we are lass— Oops, that should be First Lieutenant. My apologies.” He offers a crisp salute.

 

I gave him a slight nod and ignored his troubled look. If the job of a regiment leader was as simple as following orders, I wouldn’t need to worry so much. However, I’m expected to be on the frontlines AND directly lead a charge with the regiment due to the military’s officerial autonomy doctrine. Essentially, I had to command my regiment in real-time whilst following the orders of the Division commander.  

 

The only silver lining was that at least I was expected to have some warrant officers and sergeants serve as my aids.

 

But before I could organise any of that, first came the in-house conference. A gathering to introduce the new blood in the regiment. That is, me. Luckily, it seems that I wasn’t wholly tossed in the deep end when I saw an officer come out to receive me.

 

He was a naive-looking youth that was one head above me in height. He looked fairly average, with common brown hair and eyes whilst donning the standard green infantry fatigues.

 

“First Lieutenant, Amelia Von Steinhaur, ma’am! Warrant Officer Kevin at service!”

 

“No last name?”

 

“None, ma’am! I’m a commoner, ma’am!”

 

I raised my eyebrows at the Warrant Officer. It was rare for a commoner to become an officer, but the new meritocratic doctrine of the military academy must’ve paved the way for this kid. 

 

“Are you here to tour me?” I asked curiously. It would be convenient to know the base’s layout. 

 

“No, ma’am! The Lieutenant Colonel wishes for your attendance in twenty minutes; I’ll be your guide!” 

 

Inwardly sighing, I maintained the pretence of an officer worth my salt as I nodded, “Then please do so.” I can’t wait to end the day already. A meeting with the Lieutenant Colonel only had one result: pain. 

 

“Understood ma’am, please follow me!” So saying, he turns, crisp on his heels, and directs me forward.

 

Anxiously, I follow him into a squat grey building. Passing through the entrance, mounted by sentries, I keenly noticed the shells still adorning the ground, evidence of an earlier assault. Once inside, we move quickly, passing by multiple ragged corridors and wading past numerous telegraph operators.

 

However, once I arrived at the conference room, it was like entering another world. None of the hustle and bustle was seen, only the silent and stern glares of respected military officers. All the seats were filled except one, mine.

 

“Pardon my tardiness, First Lieutenant Amelia Von Steinhaur reporting!” 

 

“Good, be seated,” The Lieutenant Colonel, an old man with a fading hairline, responded as he sat at the head of the desk, “Let’s begin the topic of today’s meeting. Major Karl, please hand out the papers. This is the new directive from the Crown Prince. We'll be spearheading a new offensive...” 

 

Following his gruff command, a tall man in the standard grey officer fatigue began to distribute manilla folders to all of the officers. 

 

Freshly minted, the ink still felt warm. The feel of newly printed papers always felt nice. Though my appreciation of the product of modern innovation and the fact that there were enough handouts for everyone quickly dampened when I read the contents. 

 

It was a draft regarding the offensive expected to take place in the newly established battlefront. The Division was placed in the left flank, but my regiment had another role...

 

“Since it’s your first time, just try to follow along.” The Major who sat next to me whispered, noticing my widened eyes. 

 

I would potentially be responsible for spearheading a flanking maneuver. It's not too late to desert and defect, right? 

 

The officers began discussing the plan. Although I was briefed about the plans before arriving, I didn’t expect to be in a meeting on day one. Frankly, such a weighty meeting was something I didn't want on my first day. 

 

After what felt like an eternity of words entering from one end of my ear and going out through the other, the other officers finally reached a consensus. With our Division playing a flanking role, our regiments had extreme autonomy. Although it increased our response time in the battle, coordination with other Regiments would be nigh-impossible.  

 

The offensive would be in conjunction with two other Divisons currently based in Iega, a coastal city that was recently captured.

 

Looking at the map, I recalled my time in the military academy. 

 

Due to a conflict against Azir Confederate fifty years ago, the Waltein Empire lost its rights to its holdings in the southern peninsula located in the east. This was where my father became a Baron. Additionally, this was when the modernisation and restructuring of the military began as a result of the crushing defeat. 

 

Snapping back to reality, I read over the notes. Within the 11th Division, my 203rd Crown Prince Infantry Regiment would be one of the first to enter the battlefield, which was essentially suicide for me. 

 

My prayers were unfortunately not answered, and I got the foremost frontline role after being in a hospital for three months. 

 

How could they let someone with no practical combat experience be a regiment commander so casually? Sure I may have completed the military academy and spent three years as a logistics officer, but I’ve never hurt a mouse, much less shot someone. 

 

My days in the military academy were enough for me to understand the basic theory behind combat. However, it was nowhere near enough for me to be useful. 

 

“Are there any objections?” Asked the commanding voice of the Lieutenant Colonel. 

 

Though he worded it like a discussion, the distribution of roles had already been finalised. Speaking up now wouldn’t remove the nails in my coffin. I could only meekly accept the execution order. Likewise, there were only faint murmurs of endorsement amongst the other officers.

 

Seemingly satisfied with our reactions the Lieutenant Colonel continued to other matters. Matters pertaining to the auxiliary forces and the sweet backline that I’m no longer a part of and how we’d have to make do with limited supplies. 

 

Before long, the meeting was adjourned. It was time for my debut as a Regiment commander. 

Let’s hope I don’t mess up my introduction. I need allies to keep me from the gunfire when we reach the frontlines.

 

Here is map: 

7