Chapter 45: Terror of Nemesis (1)
353 6 10
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

We soon made it to London, England, as we got off the ship. The trip went by a lot faster than I thought, though, my mind was preoccupied with a lot of things at the moment. Especially with Nemesis. They’re going to make their debut at the Mall we’ll be going to, and that’s when the story will really kick off.

If I’m right, then the future that’s been changed is likely the second event. So, I came up with a theory that when [Absolute Misfortune] interferes with the future, it will usually involve the next arc event, like the Manticore Arc.

Which is why I believe something different will happen in this arc. Of course, I don’t know what exactly. For the first arc, the Manticore was replaced with a Mutant Manticore.

So, something was likely changed…and it’s likely the person in charge of the terrorist’s mission.

In the second arc, the person who led the nemesis group that took the mall hostage was a man named Dred Talbot. He’s known as the Traumatizer due to his very dangerous talent [Trauma], which allows him to bring out his opponents' worse trauma and use it against them, breaking their minds.

If I go by what happened in the first arc, that means Dred isn’t the one taking control of the mission. It would have to be someone else. Probably someone worse…

“So this is London,” Min marveled at the architecture of England’s capital.

“It looks amazing,” Beiste said in awe.

The city was certainly something to behold. Much like Paris, London was given a massive upgrade and was now heavily teched out.

Though, this place looked a bit like one of those Utopian cities that you would see in novels or movies. And surprisingly enough…that’s how the Novel described London. Everything about it looked so…clean and perfect.

Despite all the sci-fi looks, there was a couple of architecture from old London, like The Big Ben and The Shard. So, despite how futuristic everything was, there were still parts of the city that stayed the same, if only a little enhanced.

“Okay,” Luke spoke up. “here’s the deal. We’ll be finding a place to study and be there for a little while. After we do some studying, we’ll explore the city. Deal?”

“Deal!” Beiste agrees.

“I accept!” Min also agrees to Luke’s terms.

Luke said the same thing in the Novel…that means things were progressing as they should. But, I can’t be lenient, so…

“I might have a suggestion as to where we can study,” I told the others.

“Oh?” Luke turned with a curious look on his face. “Isn’t this your first time here? Did you perhaps do some research before today?”

“Pretty much…”

I did do research, but I already knew where we were going and just did some further study on the structure of the building and such.

Since I don’t know what’s going to happen, I can’t risk letting the people get help hostage by Nemesis. So, I plan on evacuating the people by setting one of the fire alarms to get them to leave.

With all the panicking, Nemesis should be too flustered to continue with their mission. And then, hopefully, if these guys were manageable for Luke and the others, I can get them to help and also have them get stronger by fighting these guys.

What I’m worried about is [Absolute Misfortune]. If this event is anything like the first one, then I’ll have to change gears and just get everyone including the main characters to safety.

I can figure something else out for them to get stronger.

“Alright, lead the way then,”

Luke gave me the reins for the trip and I soon led the group to what would be honestly the worst experience ever.

“Here we are,” I told them.

“This is the place?” Luke asked with a doubtful expression.

“I don’t this place is known for being quiet…” Min said, somewhat hesitant.

“Well, the bright side is that they have a lot of food!”

Standing before us was the Shopping Mall of London known as…Majesty’s Plaza. It was a massive building that was several stories tall, and a lot of people were going in and out of the structure.

In terms of studying…this wasn’t really a good place to go to since it was noisy, crowded, and whatnot. It was much better as a tourist spot. The only reason why they even came to the mall in the novel was that Beiste got distracted while they were looking around and went inside. So yeah…

“Don’t worry,” I told them. “This mall has a couple of cafés that are more or less quiet. Plus, this way, we won’t have to worry about getting hungry while studying.”

“That’s a good point…” Luke pondered over it.

“At least we won’t be hungry,” Min accepted it.

“Yeah!” And Beiste was just really enthusiastic about it.

“Alright, let’s go inside then,” I smiled while guiding the group inside.

As we entered the mall, we saw a lot of people roaming about like crazy. Not only that, but it was extremely loud as well with a lot of chatter happening all over the place.

The inside of Majesty’s Plaza looks just as amazing as its exterior does. There were several floors shown from where we were standing where multiple shops could be seen, along with a glass ceiling at the top of the mall building, revealing the clear blue sky.

I also noticed robots roaming about either cleaning up stuff or delivering food from restaurants that were there. Instead of looking humanoid, they mostly gave off those cartoonish box-like bots. This place was amazing…

…I kind of wished I didn’t have to evacuate these people, so I could enjoy this place a little more.

“There should be a café nearby, so we can get something to drink while we study,” I told the others.

“Alright, let’s go,” Luke said.

Everyone agreed and I once again guided them through the mall so we could head to the café I was recommending. This café was the same one from the novel and the place where Luke and the others will be when things start to pop off.

As we continued walking in the mall, I took a quick look around, trying to see if anything out of the ordinary was happening. So far, nothing caught my eye.

While Nemesis was staying in cover so they didn’t get caught, I should’ve been able to at least find someone. There had to have been two soldiers of nemesis talking to one another.

But, from where I was, I didn’t notice any of them. I did know they were here since it was close to the time they begin their plan. Which meant I needed to get to the café and then start my plan. Aside from Nemesis, there was one other person I was looking out for…oh?

While walking, I soon noticed a familiar face in front of us. She had long blond hair and looked really beautiful like a gem.

“Oh, Jeanne?” I called out to the future Prophet Savior.

Jeanne soon turned around and saw me, a look of surprise on her face. She wore a white poofy shirt with a brown belt strapped to her waist along with a long white and blue stripe dress. She looked really pretty that if I was a little younger, I would've been a bit attracted to her.

“You are…Ethan,” She muttered.

“Yeah. What are you doing here?” I asked while trying to look curious.

“O-oh, I’m here to look around a little,” She said somewhat nervous. “But what are you here for?”

“We’re here to get some studying down. We’re heading over to a café near here. Wanna join us?”

Aside from Luke, Beiste, and Min, Jeanne also makes an appearance in this Arc. Not only that, but she plays a pretty big role in it, and that’s telling us the future of what’s happening with Nemesis.

Plus, she was with Luke and the others when things go down, so having her with us keeps things flowing in the right direction.

“U-um…sure, okay,” Jeanne agrees.

“Okay then, let’s keep going.”

With our fifth member joining us, we continued on to the Café. It didn’t take that long before we made it while going up a couple of floors and found some seats to start our studying.

While doing that, Jeanne and I went over to the counter to order everyone a drink. Bieste wanted a Frappuccino, Min wanted a Chai Latte, and Luke wanted a regular coffee. How bland…

As for Jeanne and myself, she wanted a cappuccino and I was going to order a Latte. Once we got out drinks, I’ll pretend I need to go to the bathroom and get started.

I have plenty of time since Nemesis doesn’t start until at least Noon since that’s when the novel said it started. And looking at the clock…and it was close to ten thirty. That’s good. While waiting in line, I decided to strike up a conversation with her.

“So, how have you been since the training session?”

“Fine, I guess,” Jeanne shrugged her shoulders. “Studying for the exam is a little difficult, though.”

“Yeah, the same goes for Beiste and Min. That’s why we’re here, so we can help them study a little more.”

Jeanne was always a smart girl. Although she grew up on a farm, she always read books she would find which help expand her knowledge.

In fact, in terms of her academic grades, she was one of the top ten students. That’s how smart she was.

A lot of students thought she cheated because of her talent, but that wasn’t the case. In fact, her talent doesn't let her see everything in the future. At least at the moment.

Although she can see the future, both voluntarily and involuntarily, she can only see specific parts of it. Mainly moments where her life or someone else's life that is important is in danger.

She’ll either see a future that takes place a couple of days from now or a few seconds where she or that other person gets hurt. That's how it works for now.

In fact, she’ll soon get a vision of nemesis taking the mall hostage. Or she would’ve if I wasn’t about to do my plan. While looking ahead, a blue panel appeared before me and my face turned pale…

[Conditions have been met: [Absolute Misfortune] has been activated.]
[Conditions have been met: Unique Talent [Absolute Misfortune] is interfering with Talent [Prophet].]

What the…?!

“A-ah…?!” Jeanne suddenly gasped while falling to her knees.

“Jeanne, are you alright?!” I panicked while trying to keep her steady.

No, no, no! Why is [Absolute Misfortune] messing with [Prophet]?!

Luke and the others noticed this and rushed over, looking even more worried.

“What happened?!” Luke asked hastily.

“N-no…oh no! T-the mall…”

Dammit, this is too soon! She wasn’t supposed to get her vision until later just before Nemesis makes their move!

Which means…oh, no!

“What’s wrong, Jeanne? What about the mall?” I questioned, trying to get her to answer.

I need to know what happens. But more than that, we need to get these people out of here before it starts!

“T-the mall…it’s going to be destroyed!”

The moment I heard this, I was speechless. I just stared at nothing for a few moments before my mind got back on track.

This wasn't good...

The mall was going to be destroyed…I need to stop this now!

“Watch over Jeanne!” I told Min.

“Right!”

Min then held on to Jeanne and kept her company while I started running in the opposite direction. I need to hit the alarm before it's too late! The panic from the civilians should keep Nemesis from starting their mission.

I just need to get there before…

[Conditions have been met: Unique Talent [Absolute Misfortune] has been activated.]

“No!” I shouted in anger after seeing this. “What the hell are you-?!”

Before I could finish, I started to hear gunshots being fired in the distance along with the screams of the civilians. It sounded like it was coming from below.

“No, no, no…!”

While rushing to a fire alarm, I looked down the glass rail that revealed the other floors including the ground floor. As I did, I noticed a lot of guys wearing matching military gear and were equipped with guns that were pointed at the civilians.

No, they started too early! They were all dressed up and everything!

It was already too late…Nemesis had made their first move.

Then, while looking around, I soon noticed something that shocked me beyond belief…

T-that guy…!? H-he’s not supposed to be here!

Down on the ground floor, a lone person was standing on what appeared to be an elevated platform, like a stage. He was wearing a leather jacket and jeans, was in his mid-thirties, and had short black hair with streaks of red in the front.

This guy...was someone I never expected to show up here, even if [Absolute Misfortune] changed the future…

“Ladies and gentlemen!” The man on the platform shouted, his voice echoing throughout the mall. “Allow us to introduce ourselves. We are Nemesis…and this mall is now under our control!”

As everyone heard this, the men in military outfits started moving in on the civilians, causing them to run away in fear. In response, the lone man on the platform took a deep breath before shouting…or in this case, roaring.

As he roared, the entire mall shook and everyone soon froze in fear. Even I felt paralyzed by it, even if for a moment. That…was the Dragon Roar. It was a signature move used by a well-known antagonist of the story that was part of Nemesis.

And that…was Ddraig, the Dragonnewt.

This guy was one of the strongest members of Nemesis, and he gave Luke and the others a hard time. And now he was here…

This was not good. Not good at all.

“I don’t recommend running,” Ddraig said while smiling. “If you do, you’ll die the moment we catch you.”

“No…” I muttered, completely stunned by this.

[Absolute Misfortune]…what the hell have you done?

10