Dear Curtis
0 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Sent from Rainbow Ridge, Oklahoma, August 4th, 1848

 

To my dear brother, Curtis.

 

Rainbow Ridge hasn’t been the same ever since you left home to go be a doctor in the big city. This town feels like it’s falling apart in your absence. I fear something truly wicked has been transpiring here. The mining company has gotten bolder without you there to call out their shady business practices. They’re digging deeper into the forbidden mountain than they’ve ever dug before, and I fear they’ve unleashed something unholy onto our beloved town. Their trains started running wild like they had minds of their own, and then miners started disappearing by the dozens. Old Mister Barnabas from the mining company reassured the grieving families that this was just a small setback, and they’d return in no time with their pockets full of gold. I didn’t believe him for one second. Folks tried to warn him that the mountain is sacred and protects its gold fiercely from those who seek to take it, but he ignored them in favor of greed. As soon as he dug too deep, natural disasters started happening. First came the floods, followed by the earthquakes. The entire town is spooked out of their minds. I don’t know how much more we can take. I’ve been trying to raise morale, but I don’t have the same charisma you do, big brother.

 

The other day I confronted Old Mister Barnabas about the recent danger. I marched right into his office and gave him a piece of my mind. You would’ve been so proud to see it, Curtis. Unfortunately, Old Mister Barnabas, bless his heart, did not take my concerns seriously. He told me I was overreacting, and everything was fine. I stormed out of his office with my fists clenched and a fire brewing in my soul; I assure you, dear brother. Everything is not fine in Rainbow Ridge.

 

I went out to the Gold Dust Saloon tonight, and on the walk home, I heard ghastly-sounding screams for help coming from inside the mines. I know I must go in after them. If people are trapped down there, it’s my duty to save them because that’s what you would do. I’m writing this in case I don't return. I want everyone to know what happened. Always remember that I love you dearly.

 

From your favorite sister and biggest fan

 

Lilly Belle.

0