Chapter 11 – The Council of Folks
255 1 14
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

In the upcoming weeks, the third anniversary of the creation of the Kingdom of Darog and the official foundation of its capital, Gorkaki, will take place. 

And since I don't know the exact date of my birth, only that I was born around this time of year during midsummer, Shaman Farat thought it would be a good idea to celebrate my birthday along with the foundation of the kingdom. Kheldash opposed it. For the cambion, the regent's birthday should be an event as solemn as the foundation of the country.

Come on, Kheldash... This is a goblinoid kingdom... It's not like I'm some pompous prince of European royalty. Besides, birthday parties have always bothered me. I'd rather not have one or have it overshadowed by a more important event.

And more importantly, on this date, the Council of Folks will be formed. The group that will truly govern this kingdom, while I can focus on grinding my druid levels.

 

§ § § § § §

 

In the under-construction catacombs of my castle, the first meeting of the group that will rule my kingdom takes place.

The council is formed by twelve members. Seven goblinoid representatives, including elder Vara, two representatives from the beastkin tribes, one representative from the unicorn herds, the orc shaman Farat, and the cambion Kheldash.

I lie down on a sort of huge stone altar while the council members sit around a crescent-shaped stone table in front of me

To choose the representatives of the goblinoids, Farat suggested the most diverse group possible. Goblins, orcs, trolls, all should be represented, according to the shaman's vision. Kheldash, on the other hand, wanted to nominate the most competent individuals, but also the ones who could be easily manipulated.

Personally, I don't really care as long as things work. Whether it's putting one goblinoid of each color or a cart full of sycophants, it doesn't matter to me as long as this city becomes a metropolis within the next thirty years.

Everything will be fine as long as I have Farat and Kheldash. Or at least as long as I have Farat.

I wonder what my relationship with him would be like in another reality. Would we be friends in my past life? When I think about it, I don't think I had any real friends in my previous life. Except for those shady guys from internet forums. I used to be part of a group of internet trolls. Now I lead a kingdom with real trolls

Although there aren't many trolls in the steppes. Most of them live in the forest of Ul-Kag and in the underground kingdom of Eskira under the rule of the trows.

Speaking of the devil, Eskira doesn't seem like a goblinoid name. It sounds more draconic. Neither Farat nor Kheldash know the origin of the name of this realm. The only beings old enough to know about it would be Ralkor, the Marching Mountain, and matriarch Abadrol. Too bad Abadrol won't be the representative of the unicorn herds in the Council of Folks. She chose to nominate her son, Oberyl, in her place.

In addition to its origin, nobody knows exactly the size of Eskira. But there are reports of underground trow cities in various parts of the continent. Several goblinoid and beastfolk kingdoms were destroyed in wars against them. We must prepare when the time comes.

Gorkaki now has a population of over 6,000. Besides it, there are four large cities in this part of the continent that have survived the Rage of Gwenuin, the wars against the underground trows, and the raids of barbarian tribes. 

The first is Vermekh, the orc city in the Bay of Zord, near where I met Renxing. It’s a fishing town with about 15,000 inhabitants. 

Ialdai is a city inhabited by goblinoids and beastfolk across the Desert of Maz. The geographical isolation of Ialdai protected it from barbarian invasions, but it was almost destroyed by Eskira. Currently, it is one of the largest cities on the continent, with almost 30,000 inhabitants.

Shaxai was the capital of an ancient goblinoid empire that fell into ruins during the elven invasions millennia ago. After the goblins and bugbears were scattered across the continent, the city remained deserted until the rise of the hobgoblins. However, it was destroyed and rebuilt again during the Rage of Gwenuin. Today, it has just over 10,000 inhabitants.

Finally, there is Stroi, a city ruled by trows deep within the woods of Ul-Gak. I've had my share of trouble with those arrogant trolls. I tried to hunt in their territory, but I was intercepted and pursued by trow scouts and their troll slaves. I attempted to eliminate them, but it was I who nearly lost my life in that cursed jungle.

Stroi must have between 5 to 10 thousand inhabitants, mostly enslaved trolls. The only agenda I must impose on the Council of Folks is the preparation for a future war against this city. I’m certain they will come for me. Before that happens, I will burn their forest to the ground while my goblinoids march upon the ashes.

As my city prepares for the upcoming war against Stroi, I will journey eastward to personally conquer the wastelands of the Desert of Maz. The majority of the desert is occupied by scattered tribes. A detachment of desert beastfolk will follow me to establish forward outposts and aid in the conversion of the nomadic tribes. Our focus will be to secure all the oases to gain control over the desert.

After that, it will be time to conquer Ialdai and Shaxai. If it is not worthwhile to capture these cities, I will turn them into puppet states, as my country in my previous world used to do with countries in Latin America.

"The sandworms from the desert will be a great threat." Opines the gremlin Diluk. "Some of them are larger than adult drakes."

"Locate the area with the highest number of them. I will dig them out and roast them." I speak as if it were the simplest thing in the world.

"Try not to get killed or exterminate them, Your Majesty." Shaman Farat expresses his concern with this reckless plan.

"The fenekin tribes are skilled in tracking them accurately. Incorporating these fox tribes into the Empire with the promise of getting rid of the sandworms could be a good strategy." Emphasizes Umara, the bubali. Despite her imposing physical stature, reminiscent of a minotaur-buffalo, she speaks in a soft manner.

"There are several groves of petrified trees in the Maz Desert. The petrified wood can be used in esoteric tools." Says the hobgoblin arcanist Vadod, interested in the asset.

"Those forests are cursed. Violating those places will only bring bad omens upon us.” Shaman Farat opposes.

"The trows used to utilize the petrified wood in their dark magic rituals. That is one of the reasons why they are so powerful." Vadod insists. "Isn't that right, Dorgun?" He asks the troll sitting next to him.

"I know nothin’ about the trows or the cursed woodstone. I only know that I need more resources for the construction of the mines near the Korath Mountains." The troll speaks standing up, as the stone chairs are too small for him.

"The orc shaman is right. The stone forests should remain untouched." Oberyl, the unicorn, neighs through his magical voice. For obvious reasons, he is not sitting in one of the stone chairs either.

"Every resource is valuable for an expanding kingdom." The cambion Kheldash joins the discussion. "Let's evaluate the risks and see if there is a possibility of using the resources of..."

Before I could even realize it, the council had entered into a heated discussion to decide the fate of something that isn't even ours yet. I suppose this is part of politics. So much fuss over some petrified trees... I guess my plans of leaving everything in the hands of them while I grind levels will have to be postponed...

But before I could put an end to the discussion about the stonewood… woodstone… whatever, a sound echoes through the city, silencing everyone. The war horns were blown.

We are being invaded!

I fly towards the still under construction outer gates and see the city militia and the kingdom's guard taking up positions for battle.

As I get closer to the gates, my eyes deceive me. An army, no, a legion is surrounding the city.

Scale hide, sharp teeth and claws holding spears, wooden shields and priesthood staffs.

 

Almost ten thousand kobolds in a great march approach the entrance to Gorkaki.

 

14