Scene 4 – Two soldiers – Part 1
5 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The healer couldn't move as the high priest waved for a servant to make a guest room ready. Pleasantries were exchanged, food and drink was offered and declined and the elders one by one left the room. Their glances burned like fire on the healer's neck, but they were still standing tall as if to observe everything unfold under their watchful gaze. In truth they didn't realise much of the commotion. They were in shock from their own actions.

A soft hand landing on their shoulder almost made them scream. The general smiled, still unreadable, and led the healer away into the main ministration chamber. "It was a brave thing you did there. Some might call it foolish, but that depends on the outcome " the general whispered, a glint of respect in his voice. More respect than he had shown the high priest. The healer made sure the door closed behind them before collapsing on the nearest bench.

"Before you ask, I told them I need to see your patient alone. I thought it might give you time to " he paused as if to think about his next words carefully "reflect on what you set in motion." The general removed his scabbard from his back and leaned it against the wall before sitting down beside the healer. They sat there for a while, silent, no other member of the order daring to look at them, much less speak.

This wasn't new to the healer. They have always been avoided, being left to their own devices and mostly delegated to work alone and in the furthest corners of the monastery. How come they were assigned to the knight then? Seeing how much commotion the general and his retinue caused the latest wave of war victims must be very important, at least to somebody.

The general stretched and yawned. He was quite young for his title the healer realised. "Why do you hide behind masks?" He asked. "To show that we are all equal in our duty to the Creator" the healer answered without hesitation. It was drilled into them to recite the doctrines of the order whenever they were asked. And the elders made a point out of asking the healer in particular every chance they got.

"But you are not, " the general replied in a calm voice, as if he had expected this answer. The healer paused, because the general was right. They knew it obviously, all the hierarchy and favouritism had been present in the order long before the healer arrived. It had been a controversy to let them join the order and the elders were still undecided on how to handle them. But during times of war, no one could deny a prophecy.

"No, we are not. Under the mask we are still individuals, but our duty comes first and in that, we are equal." The general laughed. It was a hearty laugh, honest and uncaring. It even made some of the other members of the order jump as if they had never heard such a sound. As far as the healer knew that might have been true for some of them. "That was a very diplomatic answer, I'll give you that." The general rose and left his sword leaning against the wall. "Let's see your patient".

They walked over in silence, the other members parting as the general strode with confidence through the room, as if he knew exactly where the knight was. The acolyte watching over the knight bowed and hurried away. The healer immediately checked the patient's breathing, the general keeping back. It was slow and steady, their potion doing its work. They nodded and the general approached. As soon as the general saw the knight his expression grew grim. He whispered with a hint of sadness in his voice "So we meet again my friend"

0