Chapter 10- Respite.
9 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Ittya's breathing remained ragged as her frustration and anxiety continued to consume her.

"This morning, you displayed great valor when you rushed into the ogres' hideout. Are you truly the same person now? Did you lose?" Gisella inquired, her voice calm yet probing.

Ittya's response was blunt and filled with resignation. "I did," she admitted, her voice trailing off.\ Gisella said nothing, and continued to rub her head.

"Weren't you going to leave after my answer?" Ittya asked, desperate to get away from this calmness.

"I will, but only after you give me an honest answer," she replied calmly.

"Why must you torture me?" Ittya's voice quivered, on the edge of breaking.

"I am not. If I hadn't come, you would have lost your sanity. You would have been alive in body alone, this place does not grant immortality to the mind."

Ittya's voice was tinged with bitterness and resignation. "Losing my sanity was a respite, an escape that you cruelly ripped away," she continued. "As long as I lose my sanity, I have won in some twisted way. I wouldn't feel anything or think anything, and that is the best I can hope for."

"Is that truly what you believe?"

Ittya's response revealed her shattered state of mind. "I am but a marionette, incapable of such things, Lady Gisella. I wish for nothing now that is not death, physically or mentally. I long to be relieved of this unending pain," she confessed, a broken chuckle escaping her lips. "It is strange, knowing that this suffering is eternal, I desire death more than anything. Before, I held onto the hope of finding a way out, but now... now I no longer believe in such naive fantasies."

“It is a lie, no one truly wishes for death above all else, what you seek is relief.”

“DEATH IS MY RESPITE!!” Ittya roared, Breaking down as tears filled her.

"You did not lose to the ogre, did you?" Gisella questioned, sensing the change in Ittya’s nature from the day before.

Ittya's response was filled with remorse and shame. "I did. I wanted it to grovel on the ground, to beg for mercy. But until its very last moment, it showed no sign of remorse or weakness. Its child ran in, willing to sacrifice themselves to save their father.”

“Just by looking at the ogre's face, I knew that if I pointed my blade at the child, it would have done anything I wanted. And I lost. I am so weak and depraved that I even considered using a child to satisfy my shallow pride," she confessed, clenching her teeth in an attempt to hold back tears.

Gisella remained silent for a moment, absorbing Ittya's words. She asked, "Is that all?"

Ittya shook her head, her voice heavy with despair. "No, afterwards, as I sat lifelessly on the ground, I saw above me, the colossal tree, its branches covering the sky. And from above, a dragon peered down at the ogre's settlement, at me, and then unleashed its roar, and everything turned to ashes. I sat there, completely powerless, watching as everything around me burned to death. I couldn't comprehend the sheer magnitude of its power. Even fairy tales fail to truly describe the extent of its strength."

Gisella's next question carried a weight of understanding. "And that made you realize how insignificant you are?"

Ittya's voice wavered with a mix of resignation and despair. "Yes, it did. It made me realize just how small and insignificant I am in the face of such power."

Gisella's response was filled with empathy. "So, you want to die?"

Ittya's words poured out, laced with pain and longing. "No, I don't want to die because I desire it. I want to die because I can't bear the pain any longer. Even now, I can feel the lingering sensations of burning and being crushed. The pain never goes away. Never. I don't want to live in this endless misery anymore. Why should I? What did I ever do to be subjected to this?"

Gisella's voice remained calm and compassionate. "I cannot answer your question, Ittya. That is something you have to learn for yourself. You perceive this pain as insufferable and death as a relief, for it is the only reality you have known thus far. Life, my dear Ittya, is an expansive canvas, wherein you shall eventually discover elements that bestow a joy and contentment that would give you enough strength to suffer through even worse hells and wish to live. There will come a day when you will reflect upon this juncture and recognize the fallacy of your yearning for demise, for life, in all its complexity, holds happiness and love as treasures."

Ittya's rage flared up at Gisella's words. "If I cannot leave this place, how do you expect me to find happiness?!" she exclaimed, feeling as though Gisella was mocking her predicament.

"Patience, my dear, patience. Here we stand, you and I, and together we shall discover a way out of this ordeal. However, before we proceed, do you happen to know why I was absent throughout the night?"

Gisella gently tapped her finger upon Ittya's head one last time, allowing the emerald flames on her hand to gradually permeate into Ittya's forehead, instilling a deep sense of tranquillity within Ittya. In a blink, her previous turmoil and exhaustion vanished.

"I am unaware," Ittya responded, her voice now aligned with her innate soft-spoken nature.

"During your absence, I was diligently preparing something. Please, have a seat." Gisella extended her support to help Ittya rise, guiding her to a comfortable position. "I intended to bestow upon you a reward following your valiant effort. Although your endeavour may not have resulted in triumph, I believe your performance was more than commendable."

Gisella gently placed the item she had brought upon Ittya's lap. "Now, go ahead and open it. Within lies a pathway to your freedom, offering respite without the need for irreversible measures."

Ittya carefully untied the knot, allowing the cloth to gracefully cascade aside, revealing a vibrant red box adorned with intricate inscriptions reminiscent of those found upon the altar.

"This is a Stice," Gisella explained. "Are you familiar with it?"

Ittya admitted, regrettably, "I am not."

"In that case, I shall simplify its nature for you. A Stice is a peculiar living organism, possessing the ability to consume anything it encounters."

"It is alive? Yet, it appears inorganic to me," Ittya pondered.

"Indeed, it may seem lifeless until it devours something. At that point, it shall manifest its vitality before your very eyes."

"You have utilized it in the past?" Ittya inquired.

"Yes, on a King who was bound by an unbreakable oath. Ending his life would have proven... arduous. Therefore, I fed him to a creature such as this," Gisella disclosed.

"I understand," Ittya said, unable to understand was it humour.

"It seems my explanation failed to amuse you. Put simply, this extraordinary creature has the ability to consume anything—be it organic or inorganic, reality or a mere concept, fate or freedom, and everything in between. However, its effects are limited by time, determined by what it devours. If it were to consume a frail human, its lifespan would span for centuries; if it were to consume reality itself, the effect would shatter instantaneously. Can you guess how this might aid you?" Gisella questioned.

In a flash of realization, Ittya grasped at the chance of freedom. "It can devour the ritual altar, setting me free."

"Very astute," Gisella acknowledged with a nod.

"But..." Gisella urged, hinting at an important consideration.

"If it were to consume the ritual altar, then what if I were to perish with it? After all, my existence is sustained by this very altar," Ittya pondered aloud.

"You catch on quickly. Rest assured, you will be in no such harm, provided you’re completely healed when we use it. Is there something specific you wish to inquire about?" Gisella prompted.

"If a creature possessing such capabilities exists, surely its worth must be immeasurable," Ittya contemplated.

"You are absolutely correct. Its value is quite literally unaccountable. Possessing such a creature would ignite conflict even among the most tranquil kingdoms," Gisella affirmed.

"Then why would you use it for me?" Ittya sceptically questioned, expressing her discomfort with the notion of receiving such charity.

"Ittya," Gisella replied, her voice filled with calmness, "I believe you may be misunderstanding the situation at hand. Allow me to clarify. As the rightful heir to the Kingdom, and you possess a title that holds great value in this world. That is one value, and for another, have you ever wondered what is considered the most precious and sought-after entity in the world?"

Ittya pondered for a moment before hesitantly responding, "A... Dragon, perhaps?"

Gisella nodded approvingly. "Indeed, even you recognize it. Their magnificence and power are unparalleled. Nothing in the mortal realm can compare to them. A single scale of their body would make a weapon on par with national treasures. And your title, dear princess, enhances your worth exponentially."

"But my title is nothing more than a facade," Ittya protested, her voice tinged with uncertainty. "I witnessed a Dragon, and it was awe-inspiring beyond words. I cannot, even for a minute, fathom it ever acknowledging me as its princess."

Gisella smiled, her eyes shining with an intensity that surpassed mere greed. "You misunderstand, my dear princess. Your title signifies that you possess the potential to claim the throne of the Mythical Dragon Kingdom, as described in ancient legends. You are a princess, not yet an emperor. But one day, you may ascend to that position... That is the promise your title holds. And its worth far exceeds anything you can fathom in the mortal world."

Perplexed, Ittya questioned, "If that is the case, why was I left alone, confined in a beautiful cage, separated from magic and people? And why am I here now?"

Gisella explained patiently, "Humans are creatures driven by fear. It is conceivable that your father harboured apprehension, and your isolation was his way of safeguarding his own position. As for why you are here, only your brother holds the answers. If I have to think of one- Jealousy over your inherent value may have played a role, as it often does in the hearts of humans."

Ittya asked, "But why are you not jealous? If I were to speculate, would you not desire a Dragon's heart or something of the sort? And if you did, Why couldn't you simply utilize the Stice on a Dragon and consume its strength?"

Gisella shook her head gently. "No, my dear, that is not my objective. When we first met, I shared fragments of my own story with you. Do you recall?"

Ittya nodded.

Gisella continued, her voice filled with a refined tone, "Initially, I sought to find solace on a secluded island, where I could spend my days in peace. However, my desires have changed, perhaps out of pity from your suffering or I mayhap always possessed a desire to do so. Now, I wish to guide and nurture the future Queen of the Dragons, to help you become a person worthy of challenging the mythical throne. There is a shallowness to my intentions that eludes your comprehension."

Ittya nodded her head, “It feels shallow. Are you kind? Your eyes tell me otherwise.”

"Have you ever had the privilege of hearing the captivating tale of the Four Mythical Kingdoms?" Gisella inquired, her tone imbued with a sense of intrigue.

0