Chapter 18- A choice
7 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Yu Ruyi surveyed the courtyard, her black eyes glowing ominously. All of them were bowing awkwardly, likely due to the fact that they had never met an Elder before.

"Good morning to all of you. I am the head of the Guardian Regime, and you will address me as Elder Yu. Form two lines on each side and clear the middle ground. We will begin with a demonstration, followed by the theoretical aspects of the Arts."

The courtyard was open, with some shelter on each side where the students gathered and cleared the middle. Ruyi waited for them to settle, and once they stopped moving, she spoke again.

"I assume you have all undergone the Shadow Formation ritual. If not, then please raise your hand." Ruyi had not expected anyone to actually raise their hand, as the Shadow Formation was usually completed before someone took the entrance exam, or they would have almost impossible odds of passing a particular examination.

But to her surprise, one girl did raise her hand. She appeared plain, yet her eyes exuded confidence. "You still haven't formed your shadow?" Ruyi confirmed once again.

The girl shook her head, her expression tense. "I see. Did the instructor in charge of your batch say nothing?" Ruyi questioned, concerned that the sect might have become lax with its protocols.

"Instructor Zun said I would be given the opportunity in due time. Usually, people go through the Ritual before twelve, but he wanted to make sure nothing goes awry," the girl explained.

"I understand. I will look into it. Today's lecture will not delve deeper than the surface of Origin and Foundation. You should be able to follow," Ruyi assured her. Then, she looked at everyone in the courtyard.

"We will begin with something simple. I assume you have all learned the basic spell," she said.

"WE HAVE," the entire class replied in unison.

"I want you all to cast Gleam and look at me. Upon the first bell, you will cast the spell at the same time, and I will be able to tell if someone casts it before then," Ruyi instructed as she walked to the center of the courtyard. She channeled Luminance into her eyes.

When Luminance first ventured into the world beyond, it beheld twelve magnificent Giant Houses that were so glorious it became enraptured by them. Among the twelve houses, it found the most comfort in the Third House, known as Lunar Luminance. However, it was in the Tenth House, the House of Divination known as Converging Enclave, that Luminance gained Ethereal Sight. With this newfound ability, all veils lifted from its perception, revealing the world as a it was. And thus, the spell of Unveil: Ethereal Sight was born, a tier above Unveil: Gleam, which could only perceive a few things.

Yu Ruyi's eyes glowed as she observed all the disciples. Each of them had the same luminescent aura surrounding them—a white lunar luminance sleeping within their spines. Their talents, on the surface, were humbling, nothing extraordinary to boast about as prodigies. Their achievements in life would come solely from hard work. They possessed a level of discipline, as none had even attempted to channel luminance yet.

Yu Ruyi waved her hand, and the bell rang. In that moment, she plunged the world into shadow, causing black miasma to rise from the ground. This time, she did not try to present it to them directly. She wanted them to see it for themselves.

"AHHH!"

A cry echoed in unison from two students. Ruyi turned her gaze toward the source of both cries. One came from the girl who hadn't formed her shadow, while the other was Ying Min. Ruyi felt relieved witnessing his reaction. She had feared that the current Head would not have a worthy son to pass on his teachings.

She observed the other students, noting that most of their reactions could be classified as either tense and sweating or confused and dumbfounded. There was also a single boy who had passed out from the experience.

"A few of you lack basic foundations and thus failed to gaze upon the Shadow Domain: the reflection of darkness. You will be part of extra classes, which you will attend alongside your regular ones," Ruyi addressed them. "While the majority of students have grasped the basics and were able to glimpse the Domain to some extent, fear is an appropriate reaction. You will each be given a jade seal, which you can exchange for a weapon, spell, or any other material of your choice within the limits of the yellow tier."

Ruyi paused momentarily before continuing, "And finally, we have a few enigmas among us. You three will be checked by a physician, and after that, we will have a discussion in my office." She gestured towards the simple girl and Ying Min, indicating that they were part of the group.

"This class will resume after a break. Have your breakfast and do something to rest your minds," Yu Ruyi dismissed the class. She understood that the break was longer than usual, but the sight they had witnessed could have a lasting impact on their mental health.

The disciples left, murmuring amongst themselves, and Ruyi turned her attention to the unsteady girl. "What did you see?" she asked the female disciple, wanting to confirm if it was a false alarm.

"Shadows, blood-red eyes..." the disciple replied, visibly trembling in fear.

"I see. We will discuss it further in my office," Ruyi assured her. As she walked out of the courtyard, two physicians entered to attend to the shaken disciple.



Xiuqin knocked on the heavy door, noticing the intricate patterns that adorned its border, gradually converging towards the center. A half-moon symbol pierced by a long knife caught her attention, with a single letter "Yu" engraved on the hilt. Xiuqin couldn't read the ancient language, as she had never been taught it, so she assumed the patterns were merely decorative, devoid of deeper meaning.

"Come in," Elder Yu's voice echoed from within, sounding somewhat distant.

Xiuqin gripped the round doorknob and pushed the door open, surprised by its weightiness. She walked into the room, her steps filled with uncertainty, despite her attempts to appear confident in her mind, which proved to be unsuccessful.

Elder Yu looked up from the parchment she was scribbling on as Xiuqin stood in front of her desk.

"How are you feeling?" Elder Yu inquired.

"Anxious and uncertain," Xiuqin replied honestly.

"I see. What did your medical examiner say?" Elder Yu asked, her gaze focused on Xiuqin.

"He said I am completely fine. People who gaze upon a clear reflection of shadows can have negative reactions, and if I have nightmares, I should visit him again... He also gave me a juice," Xiuqin explained.

"Hmm... Instructor Yan is well-versed in these topics. You can trust him," Ruyi nodded. Then, she peered at Xiuqin and stated, "You have a question."

Xiuqin's tone was tense and fearful as she asked, "I... What was all that? I've never read anything like that before."

"There are very few people in the Sect who can perform that. Currently, there are five people who possess the ability to manipulate the Shadow Domain, perhaps one or two more whom I am not aware of. But that's about all the individuals who can perform such magic. As a result, the knowledge is recorded in very few and rare books. Even most noble families do not possess a comprehensive understanding of it," Ruyi explained.

"As for what it is... that is something beyond your realm of understanding, for now at least. It is the reflection of darkness, but whose darkness? Is it yours, mine, or someone else's? Every answer is correct, and you can truly answer that when you know what darkness is. Take a guess, what does darkness mean?" Elder Yu posed the question to Xiuqin.

"Darkness means a place without light," Xiuqin answered, instantly regretting her response. She realized she had recited a definition without considering the deeper meaning Elder Yu was seeking.

"That certainly is true, but is that all darkness is? You will find the answers as you travel the path of shadow. And the answer I am posing cannot be found in books," Elder Yu explained.

Xiuqin remained silent, observing as Elder Yu folded the parchment and placed it into an envelope. The envelope was sealed with a white wax seal, adorned with a single character that Xiuqin couldn't understand.

"This is for you," Elder Yu said, extending the letter toward Xiuqin.

"What is this?" Xiuqin questioned, examining the letter in her hand.

"It is a letter you need to deliver," Elder Yu replied, a gleam in her eyes.

"To whom?" Xiuqin inquired.

"Let us discuss the matter for which I have called you here," Elder Yu deflected, ignoring her question. Xiuqin held her tongue, not wanting to show any disrespect to an Elder, especially one who was likely the next Head of the Youling Clan.

"Your father is a farmer, correct?" Elder Yu continued.

"Yes," Xiuqin confirmed, her eyes widening in surprise.

"So, I suspect you have read 'Woes of the Five Guardians,'" Elder Yu stated.

"I have. Thank you, Elder Yu. Without your advice, I would have surely failed," Xiuqin expressed her gratitude.

"I doubt it, but I'm glad to hear that it was helpful," Elder Yu responded.

"Is that why I was called here?" Xiuqin questioned.

"Most certainly not. I called you here for two reasons. First, I want to discuss your unique response to the shadow reflection. Do you understand why you had such a reaction?" Elder Yu asked.

"I looked deeper into the reflection than most people in the class," Xiuqin replied.

"Yes, you did. You have an inherent aptitude and a constitution for shadow arts that surpasses most others. You also have a strong foundation in magic," Elder Yu explained.

“Is that what the demonstration was? An aptitude test? Then the boy who passed out has the most aptitude in the class," Xiuqin remarked.

"Yes, the demonstration serves as an aptitude test, but the issue with the boy will be handled by the Divination Council. Forget about him. As for the other boy..." Elder Yu paused.

"He is the Clan Head's son," Xiuqin interjected, indicating that she had already met him.

"Correct. I assume you have already made his acquaintance. However, he is not my concern. The Sect Head will take care of him. You, on the other hand, are the problem that I need to take care of," Elder Yu stated.

Xiuqin's heart raced at the mention of being taken care of. Did it mean she was going to be killed? She took a step back, fear creeping into her voice. "Please... Don't kill me. I will return to the farm and never come back here," Xiuqin pleaded desperately, taking another step back. Elder Yu's smile turned cold as she gazed at her.

"Xiuqin, you have read far too many books. There is no corrupted government story within this clan. But let's discuss why you haven't gone through the shadow formation ritual," Elder Yu questioned.

"The ritual is very expensive, and if I couldn't enter the sect, it would have been a waste. So my family decided that if I could pass the entrance exam, then I should participate in the ritual," Xiuqin explained.

"I see. And what did Instructor Yan say?" Elder Yu inquired further.

"He said that since I was the top student of this year, the expenses for my ritual would be borne by the sect. He also mentioned that I was too old for the normal ritual and would require a special ritual to form my core. The preparations for that would take at least a month," Xiuqin replied.

"Did he say anything else?" Elder Yu pressed on.

"No," Xiuqin replied.

"I see. Do you know how shadow magic is performed?" Elder Yu asked.

"Yes, when the lunar luminance aligns with the Seventh House, the Stygian Catacombs, shadow magic is born. Since the Shadow Clan adheres to the principle of Sheng, we solely practice shadow magic. During the ritual of core formation, the House of Stygian is permanently constructed on the spine," Xiuqin recited the information she had learned from her books.

"You need to change your habit of reciting books. It will only hinder your progress from this point onward. Now, do you think there is any other way to perform shadow magic?" Elder Yu asked.

Xiuqin pondered the question for a while but couldn't come up with an answer. "I don't think so," she finally replied.

"There is another way, the way I use it. It's an unorthodox method that involves aligning the lunar luminance with the first house, the Radiant Palace. It is true shadow magic, inherently deeper and more versatile than the orthodox methods," Elder Yu explained.

"But how can that be? Lunar alignment with the first house is said to result in death in every form. And if it's more powerful, why is it not widely known?" Xiuqin questioned.

"You have already answered your own question. Precisely because it is fatal, no one dares to perform it. Over time, it became a lost magic. Only I use it within the Youling Clan. However, it was once a requirement to become the head of the Youling Clan. Not anymore," Elder Yu revealed.

"And you're telling me this...?" Xiuqin asked, confused.

"As you can guess, after me, this magic would truly be lost. That's why I need to teach it to someone," Elder Yu explained.

"And you believe I have the aptitude to learn it?" Xiuqin inquired, surprised.

"No, Xiuqin, you have the aptitude for shadow magic, but this unorthodox method requires something else entirely. It requires a strong mind, one that will not lose itself in the agony when the shadow forms," Elder Yu clarified. "I read your application form, and you mentioned a specific goal: to become the head of the Shadow Clan and restore it to its previous glory. I have called you here to ask a simple question: do you truly believe you can accomplish something like that?"

"I will," Xiuqin replied, her voice filled with unwavering determination.

"You are very confident," Elder Yu noted.

Xiuqin suddenly realized to whom she had spoken those words. "I... I meant after you, Elder Yu. I am not trying to take away your position as the Sect Head," she quickly clarified, panic evident in her tone.

Yu Ruyi chuckled in response. "I think my title has created a misunderstanding about my age. I am no more than half a decade older than you, Xiuqin. You certainly won't have the seat unless you're hoping for my early demise," Ruyi said with a hint of mirth in her tone.

"No, that's not what I meant. I would never wish for your demise," Xiuqin hurriedly explained.

"I hope so. And don't worry, I have little interest in such a suffering position. From afar, positions like Elder and Head may appear lofty and desirable, but when you sit in those seats, all you feel is suffering. I have no desire to make myself any more miserable. However, you, who desire the position of the Head so much, I have decided to give you a chance," Elder Yu stated firmly, sitting upright in her chair and fixing her gaze on Xiuqin. "Become my student, and I will teach you unrivaled shadow magic. You can only bring the clan to its previous glory when you yourself have witnessed the true magnificence of shadow magic. Are you willing to take the risk?"

Xiuqin pondered for a moment before asking, "How likely am I to die?"

"As likely as if I were to try to kill you right here," Elder Yu replied calmly.

"In that case, can I accept your offer after some time?" Xiuqin inquired.

" Do you need time to think it through?" Elder Yu questioned.

"No, I will accept the offer, but after I save some money for my parents. I am their only child, and in case I fail and die... I would not let them spend the rest of their lives working for my selfishness," Xiuqin expressed her concerns.

Elder Yu contemplated the situation and responded, "An acceptable excuse, but the amount of money you would need to save will take years to accumulate. You must decide right now."

Xiuqin weighed her options carefully. The opportunity to learn such powerful magic would likely never come again, especially for someone from a poor background like herself. However, she couldn't bear the thought of leaving her parents, who had sacrificed everything to provide her with an education and support her dreams. Xiuqin let out a sigh, realizing that she couldn't accept this offer at the present moment. It was not right.

"Thank you, Elder Yu, for your generous offer, but I cannot accept it. I cannot do something so selfish," Xiuqin firmly stated, her eyes filled with determination. It was her final decision.

Elder Yu observed her resolute stance and questioned, "Are you that certain you will die?"

"No, I am confident that I will not die. However, in the event that something does go wrong, I cannot leave my parents to bear the consequences of my gamble."

"Is that your final decision?" Elder Yu asked once again.

"Yes," Xiuqin replied firmly.

"I see," Elder Yu stood up from her chair and walked to a side of the office. She rummaged through an old cabinet, delicately crafted and polished, and retrieved a white jade seal. "I will make arrangements for your parents in case something happens to you. In return, if you make it through the ritual alive, you will work five hours daily in my office."

Ruyi tossed the jade seal towards Xiuqin. "Give this to your parents and tell them to show it to the Administrative Council in case you ever go missing. I will leave instructions with the Council. Now, do you accept my offer?"

Xiuqin hesitated for a moment before asking, "Why are you doing this? It feels so one-sided to me. I am only receiving benefits from this offer, Elder Yu. I wish to know why."

"I simply don't want this art to be lost after me, and you are the most likely person to learn it," Elder Yu explained.

"Is that all? Isn't that a selfless act as well?" Xiuqin inquired, feeling uncertain about the unbalanced nature of the agreement.

"Is it? From my point of view, I am the only one getting what I wanted. You are at mortal risk, and you can learn shadow magic without taking that risk. You still have the potential to be better than me, even if you choose not to take the risk. The current head is a perfect example. He follows the orthodox path, and yet his shadow is unfathomable even to me."

"He is 50 years older than Elder Yu. Isn't that age gap too significant?" Xiuqin asked.

"Regardless, since you have accepted my offer, from today onwards, you will address me as Master. Your sleeping quarters will be arranged at my residence. You have five days. On the fifth night, I will perform the shadow birth. Take rest. And until then, you will have three tasks. Get the signature of your parents on the letter,” Elder Yu pointed at the letter in her hand, “then seek the Clan Head's permission, and finally, submit it to the Administrative Council. Your task is to convince both your family and the Clan Head to allow you to partake in the Forbidden Ritual."

Xiuqin gulped as she heard her tasks. "Why do I need my parents' signature? And why does the Clan Head have anything to do with me?"

Yu Ruyi smiled and said, "You do not understand, little girl. If you want to become the Clan Head, you have to think like one. Try to understand why you need his approval and that is after your parents have agreed to it. It is the only thing you need to think about until our next meeting. And remember, you are free to change your mind. If you do, simply post a letter addressed to my name."

Xiuqin nodded and replied, "Yes..."

"You can leave now. You will receive a slip by tonight with the arrangements to meet the Clan Head," Elder Yu said.

Xiuqin bowed respectfully and hurriedly left the office, her mind filled with the weight of her new responsibilities.

"I hope she can relieve your burden, uncle. As a failure, this is the best I can do for you," Ruyi said in a distant voice, her hand pressed against her throbbing head. The sound of ghostly whispers echoed in her ears. "I am not like you," she replied to the ghost lingering on her shoulder. "She has a choice, a freedom to choose."

0