9. Guilty Shadows
25 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The forest was dense and dark, and in the heart of it, two figures stood under the canopy of a towering tree. Both were cloaked in black, their faces obscured by masks that matched their attire. The way they blended into the shadows around them gave an eerie impression, as though they were not meant to be seen by anyone. One of the figures stood taller and more imposing than the other, exuding an air of authority. The other, smaller figure seemed to be reporting something to the first, perhaps delivering news of some sort. Their voices were hushed and barely audible.

"What do you mean the messenger was dead?" the authoritative man demanded.

"When we got there, he was already dead. It seemed like his head was smashed by a massive boulder, Mr. W," the subordinate replied in a hurried tone.

"Smashed by a boulder? Why would someone use a boulder?" Mr. W questioned.

"Sir, do you think someone got wind of our plans?" the subordinate asked, worry etched in his tone.

"How can someone know about our plans? We haven't even entered the city due to the fear of the city lord," Mr. W refused to entertain the idea.

"But sir, in that letter from the inner city, they told us to control our wolf. They have already caused some incidents which have been noticed by the higher-ups," the subordinate continued, his voice rising slightly.

"Wolf attacks? They would dismiss it, considering it a natural phenomenon," Mr. W dismissed the concern.

"But sir..."

"Stop nagging and write a letter to them telling them about the death of the messenger," Mr. W interrupted, cutting off the subordinate's protest.

"Do we really need to tell them about that dead messenger? Aren't the messengers just some random mortal they entice using money?" the subordinate questioned.

"Do as I say, don't ask unnecessary things," Mr. W's voice raised in anger, and he released some of his energy, causing the subordinate to kneel.

"S-sorry sir," the subordinate muttered hurriedly, before quickly leaving.

....

Lucifer floated through the dark and dense forest, his heart beating wildly in his chest. He had just killed a human, and the weight of what he had done was heavy on his shoulders.

As he moved through the trees, his thoughts were consumed by the memory of the life he had taken. He had ended it quickly, convinced that it was necessary for his survival. But now, he was wracked with guilt and doubt. Had he made the right choice? Was it really necessary to kill that man?

His mind was in turmoil, and he couldn't shake off the weight of his emotions. He had witnessed humans being killed before, but the reality of taking a life himself was different. It was visceral, real, and the emotions it stirred within him were more complex than he could have ever imagined.

As he floated towards his safe place, he felt the weight of his guilt becoming heavier with every passing moment.

After reaching the safe place, Lucifer immediately decided to convert his Soul Points into energy to distract himself from the guilt.

As the Soul Points began to convert into energy, Lucifer's mind was flooded with memories that were not his own. He saw Thomas's life, and it was a life filled with tragedy and despair.

Thomas was born into poverty in the outer city of White Lotus City. He lost his parents at a young age and had to fight to survive. But he had a dream, a hope that kept him going - to become a martial artist. Every 15-year-old child was tested for their potential to become a martial artist. Thomas's only chance at a better life was shattered when he failed the test.

The crushing defeat left him desolate. He considered ending his life, but fate intervened when a military officer saved him from drowning. The officer gave Thomas a job as a caretaker, and he spent the next 30 years of his life serving that officer. It wasn't a glamorous life, but it was a life that gave him purpose.

Thomas married and had a daughter, the light of his life. But tragedy struck again when his wife died, leaving him to raise their daughter alone. He also lost his job, when after the death of the officer, the eldest young master took charge of the family.

He struggled to make ends meet, but he did everything in his power to provide for his daughter.

As his daughter turned eight years old, Thomas's dreams for her grew. He wanted her to have a better life than he did, to become a martial artist and rise above the poverty that had defined his life. But the school that taught martial arts required a high fee, and Thomas couldn't afford it.

Desperate, Thomas was willing to do anything to get the money he needed, even if it meant borrowing from moneylenders in the inner city. But a strange man with a face he couldn't remember offered him a suspicious job - delivering a letter outside of the city - for a large sum of money.

Despite his reservations, Thomas accepted the job, hoping it would provide for his daughter. But he never made it back. His head was smashed by a rock, and he died without knowing who killed him or why. His daughter was left alone at the age of eight, just like he had been.

Lucifer was devastated. He had witnessed the tragedy of a man who had fought so hard to provide for his daughter, only to have his life cut short. The weight of his guilt felt even heavier now, knowing the depth of Thomas's struggles and his love for his daughter.

As the energy continued to flow through him, Lucifer wept for Thomas and his daughter. He realized that his actions had not only taken the life of a man but had also shattered a family, leaving a young girl alone in the world.

[Madness increased by 5 due to the conversion of 50 soul points into energy]
[Warning!!! Madness is rapidly increasing due to host's unstable mental state.]
[Madness has reached 50]

.

.

.

[Madness has reached 90]

Lucifer, feeling his sanity slipping away, attempted to regain control of his mind through meditation. However, as he closed his eyes and attempted to quiet his thoughts, the image of Thomas and his daughter Emily playing joyfully together began to haunt him, exacerbating his already fragile mental state.

[Madness has reached 95]

Lucifer began to feel a sense of panic as the madness within him continued to escalate. Desperately trying to find a way to calm himself, he began to consider his experiences of darkness during energy saving mode. As he focused on the darkness, all other emotions and thoughts began to fade away, leaving only fear and terror. Despite the overwhelming sense of dread, Lucifer was somehow able to use this fear to his advantage and entered into a meditative trance.

[Madness has stabilized at 95]

Lucifer remained in his meditative trance for an entire day, his mind drifting in the darkness as he tried to push away all his other thoughts and emotions. Gradually, his mind became more still and quiet until he emerged from his trance, feeling more centered and focused.

Checking his madness indicator, he saw that it was still at 90, indicating that he was still dangerously close to losing control. But he knew he couldn't keep running away from the feelings and memories any longer. It was time to face the memories of Thomas.

Taking a deep breath, Lucifer began to sort through the memories that had flooded his mind. He saw Thomas's struggles and the love he had for his daughter. He saw the tragedy of his death and the pain and loneliness Emily must be feeling now that she was an orphan.

The weight of it all hit Lucifer like a ton of bricks, and he felt tears streaming down his face. He had been so consumed by his own survival and madness that he had failed to see the humanity in the man he had killed.

As he grappled with the weight of his actions, he realized that he couldn't go on like this. He had to make things right somehow. But how?

Lucifer made up his mind to visit Emily and check on her well-being first.

1