Chapter 17 (Your libraries are shit, shittttttt)
262 0 14
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

One fucking year, it had taken me one year to complete my wand. Sure, I helped Garrick around the shop for a bit as well, but this was ridiculous.

I couldn't help but let a true smile appear on my face. It was ridiculous and so utterly worth it.

There wasn't a word that was capable of describing the feeling of the 11 inch wand in my hand, so I wouldn't even bother.

Not being very experienced at carving I hadn't gone out of my way to try make the wand have any interesting engravings.

I tucked the soft brown stick into my brand new wand holster on my wrist and turned to the man who had been my mentor for the last years.

"Thank you." Two simple words that sometimes had more meaning than entire sentences.

"No problem at all, teaching such an attentive pupil was simply a pleasure." He looked like he really meant it. It would be rude to use legilimency to check if that was true.

"I have a way of repaying you for your tutelage as well, what do you think about a vacation." By the twinkling in his eyes he wasn't entirely adverse to the idea. Then he looked like he just remembered something.

"There is only one problem Ronald, you are 10 years old no one will take you seriously, sadly when one considers your actual maturity." He really looked sad, But became curious when I started grinning at him.

I pulled out a bottle labeled aging potion and he matched my grin as well.

"Wait a moment, I'll pack my stuff." He said, to which I spluttered.

"Don't leave now, I'm not mentally prepared yet!" But he was already gone, for an old man he sure moved fast when he wanted to.

I turned my attention to the messages I had gotten.

Trait gained

Trait: Wandmaker

A bonus of 10% towards learning wand magic, 20% if equipped with selfmade wand

Created item: Pinewood wand with dragon heartstring

Would you like to name your creation?

Why yes I did. "Wand1." Uninspired but fitting.

You have gained access to your inventory

Note that the size is directly proportional to the size of the soul

"Jackpot."

I immediately started testing the inventory. I willed the old pocket watch I found in the Weasley basement to disappear, I still had no idea what the thing was actually used for. It was frustrating, so I wouldn't be sad if I lost it.

It was gone, I felt it in the back of my mind, a slight tickling letting me know that I could summon it back anytime.

I willed it into my hand. One moment It wasn't there, the other it simply was.

I looked forlornly at my wand holster. Wasted money.

Sighing I proceeded to put my most important stuff in the inventory.

My wand, money pouch and You-Know-Who's wand.

I got the feeling it was full, so I didn't even try to put my knife into it.

That thing would simply have to stay strapped to my leg.

I waited until Garrick came back and made out the time I would start working without him.

He would stay for one more week to show me the ropes so to say and then he would leave for, wherever he felt like going honestly. He was a wizard he could apparate.

My next destination was the library.

Yes, the wizarding world had a public library, it was a small pathetic thing with more fantasy stories than actual magic and any magic above grade XX was forbidden but the only thing I was searching for were some cantrips.

Over the years I had noticed how much time I actually lost doing mundane things.

Brushing teeth, cooking, washing dishes, laundry and folding clothes.

Well guess what, there were spells for all of that, and now that I actually had a functioning wand to do the spells. I would learn them all. One of the great things about making your own wand, was the fact that you could 'forget' to apply for a ministry employee to come over and apply the trace to it.

I sat at a rickety desk transcribing useful spells into one of my blank journals thinking about the relationship the ministry of magic had with actual magic.

This was the only public library in the entirety of England, if people wanted to learn magic they either had to make an appeal to the ministry to visit Hogwarts library during the summer break, simply buy the relevant books or ask a richer family, like the Malfoys if you could access their library.

In the process of getting access to Hogwarts you could get lost in the paperwork quite easily. I would know, I had tried six times in the last year alone.

I had no influence whatsoever, so there wasn't even a point in talking to people who had private libraries.

Books were expensive, you couldn't really spend the money you needed to pay for your household on such frivolous things.

Which brought up the question of why magicals had to pay for houses, food or anything not enchanted really.

One could easily make those things themselves.

If one had the necessary magical knowledge.

What an interesting coincidence.

14