[E] Chapter 3 – 1071, Errand Girl, Mask
1.4k 6 48
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Mono/Dialogue"

'Inner thoughts'

Narration

Date: January 1062.

Location: Northern Kazimierz – Western Ursus border.

POV: Narrator

The Northern Kazimierz – Western Ursus border has always been a contested place. On one side are the Kazimierzian people who had been settling the land since time immemorial. The nation has been through a lot since the day when Nightzmoran Khaganate laid waste upon terra to then disappear towards the border of civilization.

On the other side is the Empire of Ursus. They had once been called the Hippogryph Empire but were devastated by the Nightzmoran Khaganate. The weak state of the empire and the fact that the ursine people had been living as second-class citizens fueled the rebellion against their Hippogryph nobility, culminating in the downfall of the Hippogryph Dynasty.

Thus the empire of Ursus was born, with the Tzar or Emperor as the head of the state. Their government was made up of many different noble factions and cliques, major factions even had managed to control a national army, which was by design of nobles who planted their people within the army, effectively seizing it.

Their nation always hungered for much more fertile land and expansionism to fuel their economy, this made the bloated empire surrounded by enemies and scarce allies based on interest. They had been warring against Kazimierz time and time again... this time was no different.

Kazimierz on the other hand has been employing a form of government that is quite alien compared to the rest of Terra. For one, theirs are ruled by a collection of nobilities who each had the right to vote who would be the next "King" of Kazimierz.

This system was finally abandoned when the Nouveau Riche servant knight houses started gaining capital and political influence compared to the much more conservative and modest old nobility.

This had indeed caused frictions that had culminated in the nation being effectively controlled by 3 factions under the "leader" called "National Council of Kazimierz", of which only 2 in actuality hold any meaningful power.

The first faction fell under the Adeptus Sprawiedliwi Kazimierz, the core standing military of Kazimierz as a whole. This faction had been looking for every opportunity to return the knighthood to what it once was, a grand undertaking because of its limited financial base and rigid code of conduct.

They also see the modern competitive "knights" to be a weak and embarrassing imitation of a true knight. The knights under them are called Campaign Knights, few in numbers but made up more than enough with extreme quality.

The second is the Knights Association, which mainly handled the dispute between the old conservative and young blood capitalist. They're also responsible for the creation and bestowal of knight clubs, then called knight order, albeit theirs are mostly a formality and have been reduced to merely doing the bidding of the third faction, The K.G.C.C.

The Kazimierz General Chambers of Commerce's main function is to ensure the continued advancement and prosperity of Kazimierz. The methods are of little importance, such as turning the knight tournament into a gladiatorial sports league for tourism.

K.G.C.C's primary card is politics, they are adept players at it to the point of passing a law that prevented Campaign Knights from entering the nation's capital of Kawalerielki unless an emergency called for it. This faction was primarily made up of the aforementioned nouveau rich and businessmen.

The Empire of Ursus had finally bared their claws on them in 1062, this war would then be called as "10th Kazimierz – Ursus war." lasting merely a few months. Yet the damage was catastrophic, Kazimierz lost this war and a huge swath of their lands came under Ursus' occupation for the next 10 years.

Date: June, 1071.

Location: Tdronek, Northern Kazimierz Occupied Territory.

POV: Nyx.

"That should be enough..." I said after finishing up my rough sketches on this part of the land. Doing some surveys, gathering information, and last but not least mercenary work for the locals who were having problems with the local beast. Wild animals are called beasts in this world.

A few I know were called fowlbeast, tuskbeast, fangbeast, and a few local near the river finbeasts.

Fowlbeasts look like birds. They vary from docile-looking duck, which has a single horn for some reason, to a towering 3 meters beast of doom, reminiscent of cockatrice from one of my old lives, which is indeed a doom for the local but only a hefty slab of meat to me, taste delicious too.

Fowlbeasts are the primary livestock here, they produce feathers, meat, eggs, and those sorts of stuff. Some can also be trained to help with security like those eagle lookalikes but having a razor-sharp horn too... what is with this world and horn...

The tuskbeasts range from some small wild boar lookalike and a boar that might as well be a rhinoceros. These are the primary culprits for destroyed harvest, with the latter causing many casualties with a significant comparison.

Things you can get off of them are usually skin, bones, meat, and to a lesser degree intestine. The people here don't seem too keen on eating them, well it is their loss.

Out of curiosity, I let the latter charge straight at me. I managed to hold its charge with ease, I did get pushed back but suffered little to no damage since I knew when to instinctively dodge lethal injuries. Then I play around causing it to hit a tree thus toppling said tree down... my body is something else...

Then there are the Fangbeasts. This type of beast is primarily made up of wild hounds and wolves with some rarer bears lookalike now and then. Some are as small as Chihuahua but will try to bite your fingers off anyway. Up to a huge-looking dire wolf that should have just stayed in a fantasy world. Most of them have meat that tastes horrible, but filling if you can put up with it.

Skins, fangs, bones, and the hard plus disgusting meat slabs are the stuff you can get off of them. It is a good thing that I know how to dismantle and butcher animals. Everything would have gotten messy otherwise.

The last is finbeasts, they're fish. I only find 1 bigger specimen which, once again no surprise, has a pair of horns on its head. The most I found were normal looking... while the other beasts had clear evolutionary weirdness, most of the fish just looked normal to the point that quite a number of them were a 1-on-1 replica from one of my old worlds.

"It is time to head back..." Yeah, head back. I found a temporary place that can be called home. I would leave in the future that's for certain, but it undeniably feels nice to have a place where I can return to...

Date: June, 1071.

Location: Wladirosa, Northern Kazimierz Occupied Territory.

POV: Nelka Ramona.

"... and that should do it!" I hummed cheerily. The monthly harvest has gone quite well so far, hopefully, we can afford more when the usual merchant comes for bartering. Our village is located at the border, only some merchants would come here. Cost, safety, and all that city folks stuff.

The fields we have are enough to sustain our daily needs, we also have some hunters bringing back some wild fowlbeasts now and then. This place was moving at a slow pace... until certain someone came here and helped it move a touch faster...

'Wonder what I should make...' The wheat would need threshing first then dividing bran and seeds and ugh... I don't wanna talk about work for now... Anyway, no one said anything about entertaining what I should make.

"Hey! Nelka!" I snap my head to the side, and there I see Mr. Khariton, an ursine, waving at me. He was an Ursine soldier but left Ursus due to the nobles being even more unreasonable. Now he is the de facto militia vice-leader of our village.

"Oh hello Mr. Khariton! Do you need something?" I asked him, but he just smirked.

"Oh nothing like that, just informing that you-know-who is back. She is at-" I unconsciously beamed, there is only one person in this village being with that name now and then.

"Where!? I must see her! Tell me!" I shake his shoulders like a whirlwind, unaware that I almost made him lose his lunch.

"STOP! STOP!" He desperately pleads, I Stopped immediately and blushed. It appears that my enthusiasm had gone uncontrolled again.

"Um... uh... hehe~ sorry~" I tried to mask my embarrassment but Mr. Khariton just waved it off and smiled.

"No worries there lassie, she is at the fountain like usual, but be quick or the kids will swarm her in no time flat! Hahaha!" Mr. Khariton told me her location with a laugh, she always lazes around the fountain if she has nothing to do.

Teaching kids around here a thing or two, mostly basic stuff but we're grateful since this place doesn't have a proper school sadly. Helping the hunters with their tasks. Even lent a hand to our village by going back and forth between villages with her bike.

"Thank you Mr. Khariton! Tell Iola I said hi!" I immediately dashed back after gratefully waving back at him. "Sure! Don't trip now!" He laughed but my ears turned a touch redder...

The village of Wladirosa is located atop of hill, the second tallest one, since the tallest is very steep and no one except her and the hunters can traverse it. The village also has a river going around it in a snakelike pattern. This place was founded by both Kurantas and Ursine who date back several hundred years ago. The village has a rather sizable amount of inhabitants of about 140 families.

This village was founded by both Kurantas and Ursine settlers who fled from their home due to numerous historical accounts that will only bore people nowadays. You know, the kind of stuff that would make kids doze off because they think it is just prattling about things they hardly understand.

This place has been left mostly self-sufficient and autonomous, only some Ursus soldiers have been spotted now and then. They are quite an unpleasant bunch sometimes even stealing our crops and calling it taxes.

There was even an incident that almost turned into a bloody one, a misunderstanding. Thankfully, it didn't turn for the worse.

Luckily such a problematic situation has been on the lower end ever since she arrived, I wonder how could she accomplish that...

Where was I? Oh yes! I'm dashing back to the fountain in the middle of the village square.

I ran cheerily along the sparse stone-paved pathway. Wooden houses, small gardens, and even children who are playing with tamed fowlbeasts are seen here and there. Perfect! The kids didn't realize that their "Aunty Grey" was back yet!

Recalling such a nickname, I vividly remember she started to be called Aunty Grey about a month ago. Her face was a mix of shock and reluctant acceptance, seen from subtle eyebrow movement which I thankfully had noticed.

Unfortunately, I had laughed on reflex, earning a glare from her that made me yelp.

She is quite terrifying when annoyed or, worse, angered... but she is a nice person who just helps around the village. There are still some folks who still see her with suspicion because of her Pythian race.

Honestly, the stereotype of Pythian being deceitful is getting tiresome. At least they didn't show it openly to her. When I asked her about it, she confessed that she couldn't help it even when she got to be ostracized and was pleasantly surprised that she's more or less accepted.

'Ah! there she is!' There is the woman who I adored, she is quite a stunning-looking Pythian lady. This caused some problems early on where men, and women, just stared at her in awe.

Some still stared at her with varying emotions, but they had some tact now. Getting used to her and all that.

Such an alluring visage provoked jealousy from their partners. Her face was as blank as ever when the braver bunch tried their luck... with predictable results and broken hearts.

"Nyx! Welcome back!" She turned her head to me and smiled, almost imperceptibly thin, then just lazily waved her hand. "Yeah, I'm back." She just answered with her usual languid tone, her lazy nature already showing... I can only sigh at that...

Nyx, that's her name, she came here about 4-5 months ago. She had helped a local hunter who was injured and brought him back to the village, even rendering first-aid that helped ease his pain.

She was about to leave but refrained when my father, the village chief, insisted for her to stay for a while. Long story short, she is, in a way, now being a resident after several errands for people here.

But enough about that, I have her all for myself at the moment, better savor every moment-

"Nelka, your desire can be felt clearly." She deadpanned, and yes. I do have a little more than... well... want... for her. Compared to most women around here.

I can't help but be self-conscious seeing her cold indifference... deep within my heart I wished to see something exciting from that usual aloofness of her...

She was the one who noticed it too, and instead of being disgusted she just... waved it off and said that I'm free to try but she is a very hard-to-please woman, her words encouraged me to try even harder.

"Oh! Excuse me. That was quite embarrassing." I just glide on smoothly, not an ounce of embarrassment. She just subtly rolled her eyes, her usual lazy and could-n't-care-less demeanor is in full force today, I suppose.

I tried to hug her and surprisingly, she let me have this one! God! She just oozed such an alluring fragrance, and she didn't even try! Calm yourself Nelka! I reluctantly let go of her, also feeling that she didn't particularly mind this time around.

"By the way, how was your trip?" I brushed aside what had happened. I'm now standing beside her, I can still feel her firm but not too thick muscles as well, is this heaven's blessing Chaplain Immanuel always preached about?

"So – so, some "smart" looking dude tried to tip me over, well he understands what's what." She lazily responded, I winced a bit since the implication was one I could vaguely guess. Hopefully... she didn't make him suffer too much.

"Is that so? Well, how did it go?" I asked her about one specific rumor that had been discussed by me, the chief, and several prominent figures here.

"... Prices, supplies, and even their demeanor are shifting ever so slightly on the surface." She wiped her languidness and adopted a much more serious expression. I tensed, her findings were certainly concerning.

"What do you think we should do?" I ask her since she is much more knowledgeable than I am in this matter. Things that I heard off of stories and tales becoming more vivid, and honestly terrifying.

"Nothing, for now, it is still subtle. Besides, everything depends on the chief." She just curtly responded, I nodded and said goodbye. I need to be back home before dinner.

"Well, off you go then. I need to make dinner, you better be there!" I said with finality in my tone, she just hummed and nodded.

'Well... would she like vegetable soup I wonder?' I gingerly deliberate in my mind. She doesn't have any preference, which is weird when all I, used to, know about Phytia is that their diet varies and can be quite specific...

'Oh wellI'll just make the usual!' I hummed and skipped towards my home. Eager to show her the extent of my drive! Like what mama always said, "get 'em through his(her) stomach!" mama never lied to me! That should work!

{==}

POV: Nyx.

I looked back at her leaving my sight. She is quite a cheerful girl, that one. She is also the one who readily approached me 5 months ago. I honestly just helped a hunter who got wounded back home, I didn't expect things to spiral in this direction.

Well, I did manage to learn more about this world and its norms. Namely these people are called Kuranta.

There are also other races such as Ursus, Feline, and even a scant few Liberi here, and a Sankta chaplain for the local chapel. I was using my all from gawking on them at first, or else that would rouse unnecessary complications.

Currently, I'm lodging at one of the taverns around here. The place was somewhat cramped but honestly, I don't mind. Especially when the villagers here are cordial, of course, there are some exceptions but they never directly bothered me. Just the usual gossip and whatnot.

Practically, I'm working something along the lines of a handywoman or courier, I was being paid with local Kazimierz coins, Ursus currency rarely made its way here, need to spend around 5 coins a day for lodging and meals. I also teach the children some simple subjects such as basic arithmetic and helping the hunters if I have more time.

One damning fact that annoyed me was how each place differed in their treatment of the infected. Larger settlements tend to shun them if not outright chase them off. Villages are more lenient but there are some extremes, especially now that Ursus patrolmen have been going around playing Inquisition... I may or may not be responsible for their decrease in inquisition activity.

Luckily this place isn't one of them. I can find some infected people living alongside non-infected with harmony but also being very careful with their affliction. The villagers in turn help them with things they are unable to do, they are still one of them as far as the inhabitants here are concerned. When the patrolmen came, the villagers hid the infected people.

Oh yeah, I have a bounty on my head now. But it was quite hilarious that the Ursus occupation forces didn't even know who the perpetrator was exactly. They just slapped an allegedly middle-aged man poster as the perpetrator and called it a day...

Well... just making sure everything is done soon. Thank goodness for speed.

I still have those crystals stashed since I doubt a village would have any interest in it. I might need to go to those "Mobile cities" I keep hearing about... I'm skeptical when hearing that there are moving cities in this world, well... seeing is believing.

I also learned that my race was called Pythia, usually found in a region, or was it a nation? Anyway, the place was called Sargon and from bits and pieces I heard about the place, it is something like South America, Africa, and the Middle East being meshed into one.

I don't know which god or being made this world but that is a wild combination in my opinion. Well... I might need to make a trip to my ancestral homeland somewhere in the future. But not now...

Especially when I brought back some concerning findings...

My musing was broken when I finally reached the door of the village hall. I opened it and saw several prominent figures in this village.

I was on fairly good terms with the local Sankta, Chaplain Immanuel, who is also my art teacher. I was thrilled that I could finally use Arts... only to feel dismayed with my Arts capability of amplifying my voice and nothing else at this stage.

Chaplain Immanuel said that this is a natural consequence since my Arts training is late due to me procrastinating, I can't tell him that I am technically an alien in this world.

Then, I'm more or less getting along with both Mr. Tymoteusz and Mr. Khariton, leader and vice-leader of local hunters and militia. They had come to me for some advice in training since only Mr. Khariton was a soldier and even then he's just rank and file.

There are also several others but I don't remember them all that well, except for one...

"Chief Radek, I'm back from my task and read for my reports. Needless to say, my findings should be quite grim or hopeful. No inbetween." I said to the chief, he is Nelka's father, Radek Ramona.

"Hmm, you may start." He immediately tells me to explain, the faster the better. I like his approach, no needless pleasantries.

"The prices of grains, wheat, and other commodities at the nearby villages are on the rise." Some murmured with this, with a few of them looking very hopeful. Their occupation had been going on for a decade after all.

"Next is the lower frequencies for traders towards the border, but when they do, they always buy things wholesale. Unfortunately, some news on other villages with several verified cases of Ursus army confiscating their harvest." Chief Radek looks hardened, I can't blame him.

A village can stay self-sufficient, yes, but there are things only traders from larger places or settlements can bring. Some of them are luxuries, electronics, and spare parts. Add foreign armies that take their harvest into the equation and the whole thing turned for the worst.

"One other thing I noticed was that there have been some concerning rumors flying around. Namely the shifting of Campaign Knights Order along the current border and increased demands for blacksmiths." This piece of information elicited an even more pronounced commotion.

"How accurate was that rumor, according to you?" Mr. Tymoteusz asked me, his concern clearly showing.

"...about 60 percent accurate." The assembly has gone silent. I just stood there and looked at Chief Radek that is doing some mental deliberation.

"...and If I may?" I continued, asking to add my conjecture.

"Go ahead, we're looking at every possibility here." Chief Radek said to me on continuing my piece.

"... I had seen some ursine who were vaguely of Kazimierz origin. Last seen in Greaville and Tdronek, their accents were also subtly off." Some of the ursine there smirked, it appeared that the time would soon come.

"Good work on your task. You may leave now, your reward will be delivered as usual." Chief Radek said to me, I slightly nodded and left the hall... these infiltrations and sabotage in the guise of trading were quite exhausting... well, I'll just pester Nelka for now.

{==}

POV: Radek Ramona.

'This is a prime opportunity but also carries a heavy risk...' I exhaled after seeing her leave the hall. Honestly, I would rather have her stay here, she was, without any shred of doubt, a soldier but I don't know from where. Sadly, some matters can't be said in her presence, much to my chagrin.

Her posturing is neither like those remnant Gaulish Grenadiers or Vioux Vanguards of old nor does she have the presence of Victorian Knights.

While also doesn't show an air of fierceness from Sargon and Arts aptitude that is from Lethania. She's just a soldier who is... cold, calculating, and efficient, more machine than human...

'Well... her origin is of little importance for now...' I focused back on the hall where a few of us already debating on what to do.

"We have to get the folks ready for anything, getting some food to be dried would be beneficial."

"No, we aren't quite certain yet. Even she is only half convinced about it."

"Don't base everything on her opinion. Not to demean her, but she is still an outsider. We should take her information with a grain of salt."

"Well, what other source do you have then? Still think she is a spy?"

"I don't imply her to be one this time around, only saying my piece for caution to further avoid unnecessary complications from sprouting."

Some of them are thinking about what to do to keep the villagers' future safe. Of course, some of the more scathing remarks hidden beneath were also said, but they at least have the tact to keep it as quiet as possible.

"How many hunters turned militia do we have?"

"Only around 28, we theoretically have 53 thanks to her. But they're only trained for 2 months or less."

"Then what about the militia volunteers? We should have some spare equipment in the hidden storage"

"We can arm at least 130 more people, mostly with spears and axes, however."

"Do you think she can help with that?"

"Give her a break, she has been going on and off between places. It is a miracle that she isn't fed up already. Not to mention that she has Ursus' army looking for her, we already had several close calls after all."

Some of them are already discussing security concerns. This village can be rebuilt, but its inhabitants aren't so easily brought to what it once was. We have, after all, rebuilt the village from several catastrophes, wars, and other concerning situations for generations.

I raised my hand to motion everyone to quiet down.

The hall has gone silent, the eyes within this hall are now focused on me.

"Your decision, chief?" Immanuel prompted me to speak.

"Starts stockpiling easily stored and long-lasting foods, get some of the people trained in between their daily duties. Also, prepare her remuneration and tell her she can rest for a while. Hopefully, the upcoming counter-offensive shouldn't be too far off..." I spoke my decisions, and no one contended with it any longer.

It was quite amusing that several months ago I had to coax them since there were problems that needed fixing here and there... and then she finally arrived on our doorstep.

Helping us with tasks that ranged from clerical odd jobs to some that would burden the villagers. Like helping with threshing wheat, teaching, and looking out for the children playing around the meadows. Even conducting secret training from prying eyes, which was based on an actual basic form of military drill.

All for getting some pocket changes in comparison, which by my approximation she should have been paid 4 times as much, and a place to rest. She might just need a place to hide after her escapades or something. Some of us had tried to pry her for information with mixed results.

She is not too bothered with it, but I can sense some lingering caution from her. She is affable but always makes sure to not slip up her personal life in her interactions. None of us know anything valuable about her personal life.

The first time she was here was with a wounded kuranta. We were alarmed seeing one of ours with her while also being injured to boot, luckily the one she carried clarified immediately and thus sparing us from potential misunderstanding. Her cooperative attitude had also brought immense boon to this village.

"Since there are no objections, this meeting is adjourned." With my words, everyone immediately left the hall.

When everyone, except for the chaplain and militia leaders, left the hall, I slumped down on my chair... god, I'm too old for this.

"Good work there, so anything still on your mind?" Immanuel asked me.

"A lot, but more importantly... what are the chances that she would agree to join the village?" I asked him, hoping that his answer would be what I hoped.

"... unlikely, she made it clear that she wished to stay on her path." Immanuel bluntly confessed.

"Hah...." I sigh, that much is expected. She is just like... a child? She had these subtle fascinations and interests with even the most mundane of things. She never cut someone off when they're speaking. Either she was that interested or that's just how respectful she is.

What in the world had she gone through to even see simple wheat threshing with absolutely undivided attention?

"Heh, you should tell her chief." And this blasted Ursine had the gall to goad me, well I understand his intention but come on... don't bring my daughter's personal life into this...

"Quiet you, let her sort herself out."

"Meh, whatever. Young people are stupid anyway."

"Yeah, yeah, Mr. I'm-a-Bachelor-for-40-Years."

"Hey!"

And thus the talks derailed... Immanuel already left me with these two wordlessly... god why?

[END OF CHAPTER]

Author Note:

Hello, this is me, myself, and I, the author who shot himself in the foot.

Let's just say that famous Sean Bean quote heralded what was about to come.

Some explanations as to why Ursus' presence is sparser and more limited than it should be. The Ursus empire is about to launch an invasion of Higashi, which would end up with the name of the Bloodpeak Campaign, thus pulling as much manpower and resources as possible. This is an interpretation from the canon lore timeline.

Update as usual.

Ciao.

 

48