Chapter 6
593 2 29
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I gracefully exited the adventure guild and seamlessly blended into the bustling crowd outside. However, to my dismay, I felt the persistent presence trailing behind me. "Even after that, he still follows me?" I thought with a little surprise.

I let my mind free, and my movements became slow and smooth, while my actions and mannerism synchronized with the ones nearby, everything from my breath to my heartbeat started to rhythm with my surroundings, making my presence dim and blend in. This was a technique called Erasing presence. Something I learned when I became the young master of the Legendary Ninja family in one of my past lives. 

It didn't rely on specific abilities or Mana, but rather on experience and knowledge. Due to its practicality, I frequently utilized this technique in situations like the present one.

Verth, the Paladin Trainee, persistently scanned the crowd, oblivious to my presence despite me standing just a few steps away. Only someone with extraordinary observation skills or keen intuition would have the chance to detect me, as my presence had been reduced to a minimum.

I watched his troubled expression as he frantically searched for me among the sea of people, growing increasingly frustrated by his inability to locate the person who stood right beside him.

"Ah, damn it!" Verth cursed, then dashed off. "I can't allow him to enter the ruins. I need to inform the others."

Observing the adventurer's retreat with a mischievous smile, an idea sparked in my mind. "Perhaps I can make use of him."

****

It was a scorching day, the Sun blazing at its zenith, as a party of four individuals hurriedly pressed forward. Their steps were swift, their breaths labored, but they pressed on relentlessly until a haunting sight materialized on the distant horizon. An ancient ruin loomed before them, exuding an aura of foreboding mystery. Its weathered spires defiantly stood, untouched by the passage of time. Intrigued yet apprehensive, they cautiously approached, feeling the weight of forgotten secrets settling upon their shoulders. The moss-covered stones whispered echoes of long-forgotten battles, while an oppressive silence hung heavy in the air.

Coming to a halt, the party took a moment to catch their breath. After regaining their composure, a woman emerged from their midst. She was clad in the attire of a nun, a practical blend of traditional religious garb and protective armor. Her sturdy white habit boasted intricate silver or gold accents, hinting at her role as both a defender of the faith and a warrior. "Now what? Where is this powerful person you were referring to?" she inquired, her voice tinged with urgency.

"How would I know? I was with you!" retorted a knight adorned in weathered white armor, his tattered tabard proudly displaying an insignia of two wings attached to a sword. It was Verth, the trainee Paladin. It was then he noticed a bag and a black cloth right at the entrance, he grabbed it in his arms studying it "This belongs to that man, and that bag too I saw him carrying it, he is already inside"

"Are you even certain about this?" echoed the skeptical voice of the archer, garbed in supple leather armor.

"Verth is not one to jest about matters like this," interjected a man. He donned the same attire as Verth but possessed a brawnier frame, towering over the others.

The archer persisted, her tone resolute. "Then I still don't understand why we came here without any backup. If Verth's words hold truth and a powerful individual is indeed targeting this ruin, what can we possibly do? We are but middle-rank adventurers. Should we not contact the Guild Master or, better yet, inform Archbishop and allow a seasoned Paladin to handle this? Surely they would be better equipped to face the threat."

The words of their companion held a blend of pessimism and rationality, but Verth could not simply dismiss them. "I cannot do that," he stated firmly.

"Is it because of your stubborn pride?" the archer spat out with annoyance.

Verth flinched, his expression pained. "No! Of course not," he vehemently denied. "Even I understand when it is necessary to set aside pride. The truth is, there simply isn't enough time."

The priestess in white robes validated his words. "Indeed, Verth speaks the truth. It would take at least a day to relay this information to either the Guild Master or the Archbishop, assuming we utilize the Emergency Crystal Line. Without it, we would be looking at a minimum of three weeks."

The brawny man concurred, his voice carrying conviction. "Yes, and as it stands, Verth's information is merely a conjecture. If we wish to access the Emergency Crystal Line, we require concrete evidence."

Observing the uncertainty and discord among her comrades, Verth felt a surge of desperation. He knew that their unity was crucial if they were to tackle the potential dangers lurking within the ruin. Turning his gaze towards the archer, he sought to rally her support. "Ria, you have always been the voice of reason among us," Verth implored, his grip gently tightening around her arms. "Yes, this endeavor is undeniably risky, but if by any chance the person I encountered earlier poses a threat with malicious intent, we cannot afford to stand idly by. 

"Furthermore, even if he harbors no ill intentions, if he causes any accidental damage to the delicate shield rune inside," Verth gently grasps both of her arms, offering a reassuring squeeze."As apprentices of the White Order, it is our duty to address these potential threats rather than succumbing to fear."

The rest of their companions observed the exchange, their expressions a mix of concern and uncertainty. The woman in the nun attire, who had been listening attentively, stepped forward.

"Verth has a point," she interjected. "Our purpose as members of the White Order is to safeguard the innocent and preserve the balance. If there is a credible threat within that ruin, we must confront it, even if it means taking risks."

The bulky man crossed his arms, his face etched with determination. "I won't stand idly by either. We've come this far together, and I won't abandon my comrades in a time of need."

The Nun nodded in agreement with the "I believe in our abilities and the training we have received. If we proceed with caution and use our skills wisely, we may be able to handle the situation until reinforcements arrive."

Ria glanced around at her companions, their resolve evident in their eyes. Verth's plea echoed in her mind, and she realized that, as a team, they needed to trust each other and their training.

With a resigned sigh, Ria nodded. "Very well, Verth. We will support you in this endeavor. But let it be clear, we proceed with caution and rely on each other's strengths. We'll assess the situation as we go and do our best to minimize any potential risks."

Verth's face lit up with gratitude and determination. "Thank you, Ria. I know it's a lot to ask, but I believe in us. Together, we can make a difference."

The Nun looked at Verth with a touched expression, The bulky man nodded with determination and the Archer rolled her eyes with a sigh. But all of them readied their weapons and entered the eerie ruins without any hesitation

****

As I watched the four comrades enter the ruin, I walked out of my stealth with a bitter sense of nostalgia. 'Brings back a lot of good memories, ' I mused at their bond. 

I slowly retrieved my bag, the cloth I used as bait, dusted it off and walked inside the ominous ruin following them. I couldn't bear to let Verth's diligent efforts in clearing a path go to waste, could I?

I was missing a guide anyway

29