062 – Toppled Hegemon​
255 0 9
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
KONOHA​

The first sign that the Leaf had crumbled under the assault came from the great plume of smoke rising over the horizon. From a distance, it was akin to a storm cloud; the haze spreading in a wide arc across the sky had completely blanketed the village, casting a murky shadow over the land, its effects only enhanced by daylight's slow departure beyond the horizon.

An exhausted Sakura sat idly by as older shinobi scurried about the hall of a hastily constructed hospital just outside the village borders. The last remnants of sun rays beamed through a nearby window, casting a long shadow across her bare legs. Idly, she kicked the metal frame of a chair across from her with her feet as she exhaled a weary breath in the otherwise quiet, tense room. Being in the company of others today felt oddly like being back in the thick of things. However, the tension of the battlefield had been replaced by a deep sense of foreboding.

After all, her teammate was the one responsible for all of this. Many considered her a traitor as well, and some had even refused what meagre treatment she could offer; dark gazes crawled over her skin, and she had caught more than a few others staring at her with murderous intent in their eyes.

It was terrifying.

Sakura still couldn't believe the village had been destroyed; despite being there, witnessing as the whole debacle unfolded, and seeing the results for herself.

Even more so, she couldn't believe Sasuke was capable of such... wanton destruction. Or rather, she didn't want to.

How could she have been so blind? She thought to herself. So naïve as to believe he would forgive the destruction of his clan and let bygones be bygones? What was she thinking? That he would come back home and everything would be magically forgotten?

What a fool she had been...

"Hey," a familiar voice called out, distracting her from her thoughts.

Sakura looked up to see Kiba. The boy moved to sit cross-legged on the chair across from her. He wore an expression she had never seen him wear before. The Izunaka was a shadow of his former self, his usual brashness replaced by a quiet pensiveness. His clothes were stained, and his eyes were tired and worn.

"Hey," Sakura replied softly.

"Found your parents yet?" he asked. "Are they alright?"

The pinkette nodded. "They are fine; the attackers failed to breach the bunker they hid in. What about your family? Are they alright?... and the others?" she asked, tucking a strand of hair behind her ears.

Kiba winced. "Hana suffered a few major fractures and is still unconscious, but the medical-nin said she would be fine... Ino, Choji, and Tenten weren't so lucky. They are still searching for some of their missing family members. The rest are assisting them in their search. Others are helping where they can out in the village... or at least what remains of it ... Hinata has been unresponsive ever since they informed her of Hanabi's abduction ... Shikamaru disappeared after finding his father's corpse. No one knows where he went."

"...Oh."

"Yeah," Kiba sighed, staring out an open window. "Things have really gone down the drain, haven't they?"

Sakura frowned. "We'll make it through," she replied. "We are the strongest village in the world, after all. We've survived worse, right?"

"Right..." Kiba replied, unconvinced.

Sakura looked down at her bruised palm before sighing as well. Oh, how weak she was, she now realised. She had only managed to heal four people before running out of chakra. Now, she was useless and would remain so, unable to help, for at least a few more hours.

Her gaze rose to settle on Kiba's desolate form as she realised he probably shared the same feeling.

***

"Sensei," a familiar voice called out.

Guy's snapped his eyes open and glanced up. "Lee," he greeted. The boy looked haggard, his usually well-kept appearance unkempt. Beside him stood Neji. The Hyuga appeared similarly unkempt.

"Any luck?" Guy asked.

"None," Lee replied with a sigh, sitting down beside Guy. "We've found no trace of her; her tracks seem to have vanished as soon as we entered the forest."

"Do not fret, my youthful student," Guy replied as he forced a smile. "Tenten is a tough girl. She will return as soon as she calms down, I'm sure."

"Yes, I am sure she will," Lee agreed.

"...Sensei," Neji began, "what about Lord Hiashi?"

Guy's smile fell, and he shook his head. "No news yet," he replied. "The ANBU team that went out to search for him still hasn't returned either. It seems he is still in pursuit of Hanabi's captors; at least, that's a good sign."

"Then... what will happen now?" Neji asked. "Would the young miss be safe?"

"Have faith, Neji," Guy said, placing a hand on his shoulder. "Hiashi is one of the strongest men I know. Hanabi would be fine."

***

Tsunade had never been one for prayer. She had never believed in a god or gods; had never trusted in higher powers. But now, as the dust settled and the sunset, her gaze settled on the smouldering ruins of her home and the thousands dead and injured, she couldn't help but pray.

Though, to whom, she did not know.

The Third Hokage lay before her atop a bed, unresponsive to the chakra she was channelling into his body. The sexagenarian bore a stab wound in his chest. He lived still, the hardy old git, but his condition remained critical. Beside him, a Naruto slept peacefully, oblivious to the tragedy that had transpired in the wake of
his capture.

Tsunade turned her gaze away, as she continued to channel her medical ninjutsu, a lump forming in her throat.

A knock on the door sounded.

"Come in," she answered without looking back.

The door swung open, and Jiraiya entered. Tsunade had never been so happy to see her old teammate. The old pervert had been injured during his battle with the Uchiha, his right arm hanging limply from a sling wrapped around his neck, but at least he survived the confrontation.

Not many could claim such a thing today.

"How are they doing?" Jiraiya asked as he approached the unconscious pair.

"They will be fine," Tsunade replied, her voice hoarse from exhaustion.

"That's good," he said, nodding his head. He looked at the comatose Third and the sleeping Jinchuriki before letting out a weary sigh. "Koharu and Homura were found dead, their corpses mutilated, in the Uchiha compound."

"...What?"

Jiraiya sighed. "...Someone had gone to great lengths to nail their corpses to the ground in a Dogeza outside the Naka shrine ... Their eyes and tongues had been removed and placed in offering bowls just outside the shrine's entrance. The ANBU who discovered the scene suspects their attacker had done this to them while they were still alive."

"Good Sages," Tsunade muttered, fighting off a shiver that threatened to race up her spine. "...and Danzo?"

Jiraiya shook his head. "Still missing."

"Shit."

The toad sage hesitated for a moment before continuing. "...Once Lord Third awakens, please keep him away from the village matters. At least until he stabilises."

"Why? What's wrong?" Tsunade asked, feeling a faint premonition bubbling in the back of her mind.

"...I am not sure, but it seems his entire family had been targeted and wiped out during the attack. Most are still missing, but almost all the Sarutobis we found were already dead. Asuma is the only one who's well and has been accounted for, and that's only because reinforcements were close enough to come to his aid."

"...Shit," Tsunade muttered again.

It seemed to her that things only got worse with each passing minute.

When would it end? bemoaned the Senju princess.

***

Hashirama was a man who had lived through many tragedies. He was a man used to hardship, pain, suffering, and loss. But no matter how many times he suffered through it, the sting never lessened. It always felt as if his heart were being ripped out of his chest, and this time was no different.

The Hokage had spent the last two hours in the underground shelters, watching as the citizens of the Hidden Leaf emerged. There had been many who had lost their homes, their possessions, their livelihood, and even their loved ones.

It was a devastating sight.

Hashirama looked to the side. His wife, Mito, stood beside him. The redhead was unnaturally stoic; her face drawn, and her lips pinched into a thin line.

"Perhaps," Mito replied, her voice but a whisper. "Still, the truth remains that no one could have predicted what occurred today. You simply chose the path you believed most appropriate. Whether or not you chose wrong is another matter entirely; do not condemn yourself for choices made in good faith."

"...I know," Hashirama sighed, "but it does not lessen the sting."

Mito's lips curved up in a sad smile. "It never does, does it? What is done is done, Anata. All we can do is make sure we don't make the same mistakes twice. You've started this, but we will finish it. Together."

"Come, let us depart. There's a lot still required of you before I can permit you to go running around in search of monsters to destroy."

 
9