Chapter 16- Adhira
9 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

As they returned, Willow made an attempt to engage Vivienne in conversation, but the absence of a response left an unsettling void. They continued their silent journey down the desolate corridor of the guild, the air heavy with an oppressive stillness. 

The silence shattered abruptly when Lin collapsed, her body crashing to the floor without warning.

"Reith, take her back to the inn," Vivienne commanded, cutting off any chance for Willow to voice her concern.

Vivienne opened the window, and Reith swiftly carried Lin away into the night sky.

"Why is this happening to her?" Willow demanded.

"We are uncertain. Only an divine healer of high rank possesses the knowledge necessary to discern her condition. Brian, despite his exceptional abilities in miracle healing, is still a young child, lacking the necessary expertise," Vivienne explained.

"Where can we find such a healer?" Willow pressed, desperation tainting her tone.

"I have no clue. For now, all we can do is wait and hope to stumble upon any shred of information," Vivienne responded, impassively 

"Do you think the guild master might have some answers?" 

"Did she strike you as someone who would willingly disclose anything without demanding a price?" Vivienne retorted, annoyance seeping into her words.

"It couldn't hurt to try," \

"Oh, but it can hurt us. The guild master is a chaotic mess, someone you'd want to flee from the moment you realize the true extent of what's happening. Trust me, you do not want to be anywhere near her," Vivienne warned, her tone turning darker.

"I don't understand," 

"And you shouldn't strive to understand," Vivienne replied, her pace faster than normal as she continued walking, not slowing down for Willow to catch up.

"Is it about the word 'savage'? Both you and Elisa reacted as though it were a curse or something," Willow persisted.

"Drop it, Willow. You seek a tranquil adventure without unnecessary burdens, and I am trying to grant you that. Just stop trying to comprehend everything," Vivienne urged, her tone tinged with exasperation.

"I am not from this world. How does my mere presence affect both her and you? And why does my system indicate an age that is six times my own? And why does it claim I am not human?" Willow's voice rose, frustration and confusion intertwining in her words. The nearby onlookers stole glances, drawn by the escalating tension.

"This is not the place for such discussions. Let us leave," Vivienne stated firmly, grasping Willow's hand and pulling her along, urging her to hasten their departure.

"What is it that you won't tell me?" Willow questioned weakly, her head throbbing with intensity.

"Something that has no bearing on you. Let's go," Vivienne's voice hardened. Before Willow could utter another word, Vivienne gently tapped her head, Willow felt entire world around her plunging into darkness. Her body went limp, and Vivienne caught her, swiftly opening the window and leaping out, leaving the guild.

"We need no complications. It's better this way," Vivienne muttered under her breath as she arrived at the inn, carrying Willow's unconscious form with her.

—---------

At the northern border of the Lilith Empire lay the foreboding expanse known as the Crimson Plains. True to its name, the vast plain was blanketed in a red soil that resembled the color of blood. It was upon this ominous terrain that the impending war between the Lilith Empire and the Ird Kingdom would unfold, much like the conflicts of the past. The Lilith Empire assumed the role of defenders, their fate intricately tied to the impregnable walls of Chrysanthemum City. Strategically speaking, as long as the city remained standing, the Lilith Empire could never truly falter. However, if the walls were breached, the empire's destiny would be sealed.

Chrysanthemum City occupied a vital position that allowed it to receive uninterrupted supplies from neighboring cities. Extended warfare often resulted in the defeat of the Ird Kingdom. They had a mere fifteen days to either conquer the city or retreat; failure would lead to a merciless massacre. The Crimson Plains had borne witness to countless such slaughters throughout history.

Across from Chrysanthemum City lay the makeshift enemy camp of the Ird Kingdom. It lacked the solidity of a well-built stronghold, yet rows of carriages, meticulously arranged and drawn by horses, housed the mages sent from Ird's royal capital. The kingdom had invested all available resources this time, knowing that if they failed and suffered a massacre, it would mark the end of their empire.

Leading the way in front of the carriages, a colossal vehicle emerged, drawn by sixteen powerful Harrocks. These massive bulls, taller and swifter than horses, possessed the strength to withstand the inhuman clashes that occurred during battles. The vehicle itself was akin to a mobile fortress, resembling a house on twelve human-sized wheels on each side.

Stepping out from within the vehicle came a solitary figure, a man of immense proportions and stature. Even his attendants, who followed closely behind, barely reached half his height. With his dark hair cut short, his face seemed frozen in a perpetual scowl. Soldiers in his presence instinctively bowed, trembling involuntarily.

This was Adhira, the Supreme Commander of the Ird Kingdom and one of the most dreaded individuals in all of Irath. Just a month ago, he had been stationed at the eastern border of Ird, entrusted with the task of controlling and minimizing the damages caused by the tribal people, a conflict that had endured for the better part of a century. In the first week of his deployment, he and his troops had ruthlessly ravaged the tribal states, reducing them to ruins and drenching them in crimson. Now, the Ird Kingdom had assimilated those once-independent states as their own.

Today, Adhira had been dispatched to the Crimson Plains with a singular objective: to bring down the Impenetrable Walls  of Chrysanthemum City.

"Bring me Tresha," the General commanded as he entered the largest tent in the camp. This was where the gathering of generals took place to discuss strategies. Five figures rose from their seats, bowing respectfully. "Greetings, Supreme Commander," they greeted in unison.

"Walk me through the current strategy that the strategists have devised," Adhira requested, his demeanor impassive.

One of the men sitting behind the third general, Cade, stood up and spoke, "Allow me to do the honors, General." Adhira nodded, silently listening to Cade's explanation. "We plan on launching a simultaneous assault from all sides right from the first day. The unique defenses of Chrysanthemum City hold little significance in an all-out war from the outset. Each general will lead their troops in an attempt to breach one of the city's gates, while our mages rain down long-range spells throughout the night, disrupting their rest. Once the gates are opened, you, Supreme Commander, along with your forces, will launch the final charge and conquer the city from within."

"Impressive," Adhira muttered.

"Thank you," the strategist replied, bowing respectfully.

"For How utterly useless a strategist can be," the Commander continued, his tone cold. "This plan will yield no fruitful results. From this point forward, I will personally take charge of the strategies, and you all, like obedient sheep, will follow my every command. Understood?"

"Understood," the generals reluctantly replied in unison.

"My Lord," Tresha said, her voice filled with respect, as she bowed before Adhira.

"Is the Princess dead?" Adhira inquired with a grave tone.

"Yes," Tresha replied confidently.

"And what of her body?" the General pressed on.

"It was devoured by the monsters," Tresha informed him.

"I specifically ordered her body to be preserved. It had its purpose in this war," Adhira stated firmly.

"I apologize, my lord," Tresha faltered.

"Tell me the truth. What happened to the body?" Adhira demanded.

"A girl made a desperate and foolish attempt to save the Princess, so we allowed her to have her way with the body," Tresha confessed.

"I explicitly ordered her preservation," Adhira repeated, his voice seething with anger.

"I-I am sorry, my lord. It was a delicate situation, but rest assured, both the girl and the Princess should be dead by now. The Princess was already on the brink of death—" Tresha's words were cut short as a powerful blow struck her from the side, hurling her across the tent, and slamming her into the corner.

"I ordered her body to be preserved, and you have failed me," Adhira roared. "Since you still have your uses, I will spare your life this time. But consider this your final chance. One more mistake, and the soldiers outside will have the opportunity to—" Adhira's threat hung in the air, leaving no room for misunderstanding.

"Yes, my lord," Tresha muttered weakly, blood trickling from her nose and mouth, her left side numb.

"And send riders to scout the nearby settlements. We will employ my tactics to bring down that worthless city," Adhira commanded before exiting the tent, leaving the generals shaken by the knowledge of his ruthless methods.

The war was set to commence in a month, once both sides had completed their preparations.

This is a short chapter for the introduction of Adhira

This chapter may have implied that we are heading into a war, but this is not a war fantasy, and I will not be writing a narrative with 50 different points of view going into the nitty gritty of Wars and for that reason, I did not really write a strategy. For our story, only a few significant incidents from the war will matter, and I will focus on those. 

1