Chapter 34 A Gamma Ray in Fantasy World?
87 1 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

            Lilith's face was still in front of me, with dazzling and intriguing eyes, waiting for my explanation. I started to open my mouth, and said, "May you pull your face from mine?"

            "Ah, alright…" She pulled her face, and at the table, she was leaning into her both hands, her eyes fixed on me intently. Somehow, her stare put pressure on me to explain.

            So how do I explain to her about IR…*Cough* *ahem* I started to explain, "Your gift of eyes is quite fascinating…To be able to see clearly in complete darkness, even a nocturnal animal isn't capable of doing it. To be able to see through some objects and material…" Except for your mana  "To understand, how these eyes work, we need to understand the light around us…"

            "Light?

            "Sometimes there is something visible and manifest so our senses can feel it; we can see, hear, taste, touch, and smell it. However, there is something invisible-"

            Varania immediately cut, "Again, you keep talking about invisible, is there anything that you tell that isn't invisible?"

            After Varania cut me, I saw Lilith at once take her face towards her, and say with a chill tone, "May thou just shut thy mouth? (May you just shut your mouth?)"

            As Varania heard those words from her, at once she was silenced…Lilith said to me, "Thou shall continue…"

            I continued, "This invisible thing is a real thing; I can't say it's completely invisible because there is some way that we can see these things. It indic-"

            Lilith suddenly cut me, "What doth thou mean we see these eyeless things? (What do you mean we can see these invisible things?)"

            "To know or be able to see these invisible things, we need to know what characteristics or properties they possess that make them detectable. For example, some invisible things can be detected through their effects on the surrounding environment. An example is your mana, right? Even though it is invisible, the effect of your mana can be detected by the surroundings or the damage around it. Pretty sure creatures around it can't see your mana, but the creatures know what is going on from looking around it."

            "So that's why thou  didst  not say 'tis merely invisible… (So that's why you did not say it's completely invisible…)"

            "Yeah, if I say it's completely invisible, it means we can't detect it no matter what; the things don't leave any trace, it can be it's not a real thing or we just can't detect it. But the things from what your eyes see or how your eyes is a real thing…"

            "What is't, then?"

            "It's an invisible light…"

            Slowly I could hear a chuckle from Varania. From a chuckle, it became laughter from her. However, the face of Lilith showed a curious face; it seemed she was interested in the invisible light.

            Lilith's curiosity grew as she leaned in closer, her eyes shining with intrigue. "An eyeless light? how doth that work? (An invisible light? How does that work?)" she asked,

            "My lady, don't tell me! You believe him about this pun about invisible light…" Said Varania to Lilith.

           Lilith became irritated by it, turned her head towards her, and stared heavily, "Again, may thou shut thy mouth? (Again, may you shut your mouth?)"

            "But, invisible light is surely a joke; look around us; we can see this ligh-"

            "Doth I want to repeat it?" Lilith interrupted with her voice, firm and commanding. Varania fell silent. Lilith's face returned to me with her eyes shining. "May thou say to me moe about this eyeless light? (May you tell me more about this invisible light?)"

            I continued, "So what is invisible light, right? Before, I had told you about waves. This wave concept actually connects invisible light. As we see right now with our eyes, it is a wave of light, and there is some category of how well we perceive it. The concept of invisible light means the sense of our sight couldn't recognise or perceive this light, so it's invisible."

            "What doth thou mean by category of how we perceive it? (What do you mean by category of how we perceive it?)"

            "Before, I had said something about frequency, right?"

            "Yeah…"

            "This frequency is the thing—how we can perceive something. It isn't about light, but it can be used in sound; anything in a wave can use frequency. Frequency is a measure of how many waves pass a given point in a certain amount of time. In the context of light, different frequencies correspond to different colours that we can perceive. So, when we talk about the category of how we perceive light, we are referring to the range of frequencies that our eyes are capable of detecting…"

            "So eyeless light is a type of light without of this boundary bid  frequency? (So invisible light is a type of light outside of this boundary called frequency?)"

            "Sort off…" I will not use the term electromagnetic; if I do, she will ask more about it: "But yes, invisible light refers to the outside boundary of this frequency that our eyes can detect."

            "Mine eyes can detect these waves that are without that boundary… (My eyes can detect these waves that are outside that boundary…)"

            "Yes, your eyes detect these waves and process them as if they were visible light, so you can see them clearly in complete darkness…"

            "Then seeing through objects and material?"

            That's quite hard to explain; X-rays use electromagnetic radiation, not IR light, so telling her about how X-rays work will actually be tricky. And her eyes are more advanced than the X-ray machine. X-ray machine still needs a detector on the opposite side of the machine, so basically, it can penetrate the wall with a detector on the other side of the wall. However, her eyes don't need any detector; they can just beam anything and see through it. How did this radiation bounce back into her eyes to create an image in her brain? Are her eyes perceiving something? If yes, these waves must be shorter than infrared light yet have high energy. The only waves I knew, the same as natural X-rays, were from cosmic space. What happens if there is some sort of electromagnetic radiation around this world? Or mana can be seen as radiation too, or her eyes emit these radiations like gamma rays into the object, and those rays penetrate it and bounce back into her eyes, like the Emission Theory from Empedocles, rather than using fire from the back of her eyes, it uses gamma rays.

            Suddenly Lilith said, "Why are thou just keeping silent? is there something wrong? (Why are you just keeping silent? Is there something wrong?)"

            I snapped out of my thoughts and replied, "Ah yes, my apologies; I just tried to think, as you can see, beside the invisible light I had just explained, there is another…." Wait a minute. Mana can be seen as energy radiation or electromagnetic radiation. Lilith's eyes may emit gamma rays as a form of mana manifestation, similar to the Emission Theory proposed by Empedocles. This suggests that there might be some sort of electromagnetic radiation present in this world, with mana being a potential source or manifestation of it. Basically, mana is a fusion of energy, or, I can say, nuclear fusion, in the creature's body. As the mana is released to the outside, it becomes electromagnetic radiation that can take different forms and shapes. If it's like this, every creature in this world has a similar energy to a goddamn star.

            Out of the blue, I could hear Lilith's voice: "Again, thou stare blankly into that wall and keep silent… (Again, you stare blankly into that wall and keep silent…)"

            I turned to Lilith, "Sorry, I was just lost in thought," I replied, "To understand how your eyes work to see through a wall, actually made me dive into an ocean of possibility…"

            "Thou may wot or  not about how mine eyes worked? (You may know or not about how my eyes worked?)"

            "Okay, let's break down how your eyes can see through the wall…..

5