Chapter 10: Horizon’s Promise
36 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The screens on the central column transitioned to display the Academy’s logo, signalling the end of the match. The crowd's cheers were deafening, a mix of excitement and admiration for the two young players who had just showcased their skills. Animo and Cruz, still catching their breath from the intense game, exchanged a glance of mutual respect and satisfaction.

The vibration of Cruz's phone interrupted the moment. Pulling it out, he saw a notification from the Academy app. "Hey, Animo," he called out, holding up his screen for his teammate to see. "Looks like we just got our points."

Animo, checking his own device, nodded in agreement. "100 points each. Not bad for a day's work."

Before they could revel in their success, a familiar face approached them. Leo, with his characteristic energy, jogged over, his grin stretching from ear to ear. "That was some game!" he exclaimed, wrapping an arm around each of their shoulders. "You guys were on fire out there."

Cruz chuckled, "Thanks, Leo. It feels good to win, especially with so much at stake."

Animo added, "It was a tough match, but we had a game plan and stuck to it. Teamwork made the difference."

The trio's celebration, however, was cut short by the sudden realization of their next commitment. The arena's large digital clock displayed the time, and it dawned on them that they were running late.

"Ah, shoot," Animo muttered, "We got so caught up in the match that we forgot about the club and association introductions."

Cruz's eyes darted around, noticing the dispersing crowd. "We need to hurry to the St. Catherine Gallery. The introductions have already started."

As the trio made their way out of the arena, the hustle and bustle of the Academy's corridors greeted them. Students chatted animatedly, discussing the day's events, their favourite players, and the upcoming club introductions. The atmosphere was lively, a blend of excitement and anticipation.

Cruz, always observant, noticed a group of students checking their Academy apps and discussing the points they had left. "Seems like everyone’s keeping better track of their points," he remarked.

Josh nodded in agreement, "Yeah, and with the association introductions happening, everyone's probably thinking about how to earn more."

The three of them quickened their pace, weaving through the crowd. The St. Catherine Gallery was a grand structure within the Academy, known for its elegant design and state-of-the-art facilities. As they approached, the building's impressive silhouette came into view. Tall, arched windows adorned the front, allowing sunlight to filter in and illuminate the interior.

"Remember," Leo began, pointing upwards, "the exhibition halls are on the second floor. CG-201 to CG-205."

Cruz nodded, "Right. Let's head up."

The trio made their way to the second floor, where the atmosphere was even more vibrant. The exhibition halls were spacious, with high ceilings and ornate chandeliers. Students milled about, visiting various stalls set up by different associations.

Each stall was a visual spectacle. Banners displayed association emblems, names, and slogans. Representatives handed out colourful flyers, enthusiastically explaining their association's goals, achievements, and benefits to interested students.

As they walked, Leo leaned in, "Remember the tiers of associations? Novice, intermediate, advanced, and elite."

Josh nodded, "Yeah, you mentioned it before."

Leo continued, "Most of these stalls today are from novice associations. They get priority on the first day. As the week progresses, the higher-tier associations will set up their stalls."

Cruz, being curious, asked, "Do the elite associations participate?"

Leo smirked, "They don't need to. Their reputation precedes them. Besides, they have other ways of recruiting."

As they continued exploring, a particularly boisterous group caught their attention. A large banner read "Beer Belly Buddies," accompanied by an emblem of a frothy beer mug. The representatives, jovial and spirited, approached Josh and Cruz.

"Hey there, champs!" one of them exclaimed, "Ever thought of joining the Beer Belly Buddies? We could use talents like yours! And we offer free pizza too!"

Another association, with a sleek silver emblem depicting a phoenix rising, caught their eye. The banner read, "Silver Phoenix Esports." A representative with a confident demeanour approached them, "You two seem like you've got potential. Ever considered joining an association that's on the rise? We're the Silver Phoenix Esports, and we're looking for fresh talent."

Before they could respond, another association representative from "Lunar Wolves" — their emblem, a fierce wolf bathed in moonlight — interjected, "Don't listen to them! Join the Lunar Wolves. We offer better training programs and a higher point salary."

The commotion attracted attention. Students whispered, pointing at Josh and Cruz. It was evident that their scholarship status had made them prime targets for recruitment.

Leo, sensing the growing pressure, intervened, "Alright, alright, give them some space. They'll decide when they're ready."

As they moved away, Josh felt a mix of emotions. The flattery was undeniable, but something felt off. The aggressive recruitment tactics, the promises of points and prestige, it all seemed too good to be true.

Cruz noticed Josh's contemplative expression and nudged him, "It's a lot to take in, huh?"

Josh nodded, "Yeah. I mean, it's great to be wanted, but I can't shake the feeling that there's more to it."

Leo, overhearing their conversation, chimed in, "You're not wrong. Associations offer many benefits, but they also have expectations. It's a give and take."

After a pause, Leo added, "I think I'm going to sign up for some tryouts with a few novice associations. It might be a good starting point for someone like me. I'd love to team up with you, Josh, but I’m actually also a jungler. It might not be the best fit."

Josh looked at Leo, sensing the disappointment in his friend's eyes. "Leo, you've been a big help to us. Whatever you decide, we'll support you."

Leo's eyes glistened, "Thanks, Josh. That means a lot." He took a deep breath, "I better go then. Wish me luck." With a heavy heart and a hopeful spirit, Leo waved and headed off.

Cruz, sensing Josh's lingering unease, suggested, "How about we take a break from all this? There's a great bubble tea place nearby. Ever tried it?"

Josh, grateful for the distraction, agreed, "Sounds good. I've heard a lot about bubble tea but never really tried it."

The two made their way out of the St. Catherine Gallery, the noise of the exhibition halls fading behind them. The streets of London were alive with the glow of neon lights, advertising various esports tournaments and gaming cafes. Large screens displayed live matches, with crowds gathered around to watch.

Soon, they reached a quaint little shop with a sign that read "Boba Bliss." The aroma of freshly brewed tea wafted through the air as they entered. They took a moment to peruse the menu, with Cruz recommending the classic milk tea with tapioca pearls.

As they waited for their orders, Cruz initiated some light conversation. "So, Josh, who's your favourite champion in the game?"

Josh smiled, "I've always had a soft spot for Ekko and Nunu. There's something about their playstyle that resonates with me. What about you?"

Cruz chuckled, "Ah, Veigar. I learned the game on him. Those massive bursts of damage and that event horizon? Nothing beats that feeling."

Josh nodded in agreement, "Ekko's time-warping abilities always fascinated me. And Nunu? Well, who doesn't love a boy and his yeti?"

The two continued their conversation, discussing various game strategies, patches, and memorable moments. "I started playing about 4-5 years ago," Cruz shared, sipping his bubble tea. "It was a friend who introduced me, and I've been hooked ever since."

Josh's eyes lit up, "Same here! It's been about 4-5 years for me too. It's amazing how time flies when you're immersed in the game."

The conversation flowed effortlessly, moving from game talk to more personal topics. They discussed their hometowns, hobbies outside of gaming, and even their favourite foods. It was clear that despite their differences, they shared a lot in common.

As they finished their drinks, Cruz remarked, "You know, it's refreshing to have a conversation like this. Away from the pressure of the academy and the game."

Josh nodded, "I agree. It's easy to get caught up in the competitive spirit and forget the simple joys of life."

The two left the bubble tea shop, the taste of sweet tapioca still lingering on their tongues. Josh, feeling more at ease with Cruz, made a suggestion. "You know, there's this gaming cafe I recently discovered. It's not the usual ones you might know. Fancy a game or two?"

Cruz raised an eyebrow, intrigued. "Is it the Nexus Gaming Hub?"

Josh shook his head with a grin. "Nope."

"Ah, then it must be Arcade Oasis," Cruz guessed again.

Josh chuckled, "No, even better. Come on, I'll show you."

The two made their way to the nearest tube station, navigating the labyrinthine underground of London. The rhythmic clatter of the train, the soft murmur of conversations, and the occasional announcement over the PA system created a familiar cacophony. After a few stops, they alighted and walked a short distance before arriving at a slightly hidden entrance.

The sign above read "Game Nest", though the letters 'm' and 's' flickered intermittently. Josh pushed open the door, revealing a cozy interior that buzzed with the sound of keyboards and laughter.

"Welcome back, Josh!" A voice called out. It was Tony, the owner of the Game Nest, his disheveled blonde hair a stark contrast to his warm, welcoming smile. "And who's this you've brought with you?"

"This is Cruz," Josh introduced, "Thought he could use a good game session."

Tony nodded in approval. "Well, you've come to the right place. Grab a station, and let's get gaming."

As they settled in, Josh introduced Cruz to some friends he'd made at the cafe. "Cruz, meet Emily and Alex. They're some of the best players I've met here."

Emily, with her fiery ginger hair, gave Cruz a once-over, her eyes twinkling with mischief. "So, what rank are you, Cruz?"

Cruz hesitated for a moment, then replied, "Grandmaster."

Alex's eyes widened, and he whistled appreciatively. "Damn, between you and Diamond Two over here," he said, nodding towards Josh, "we've got some serious firepower."

Emily leaned in, her grin widening. "With the four of us, we just need one more for a full stack. Fancy a game?"

Before Cruz could answer, a voice piped up from a nearby station. "Did someone say they need a fifth?" It was 'Iron Dave', his notorious in-game antics well-known in the cafe.

Emily and Alex exchanged a resigned look. "Well, with a Grandmaster and Josh on our side, we might just stand a chance. Even with Iron Dave," Emily said with a playful roll of her eyes.

Dave feigned offense. "Hey! I'll have you know I've been practicing."

Cruz chuckled, feeling the warmth of the group's camaraderie. "Alright, let's do this."

As they set up for the game, Josh leaned over to Cruz. "Don't worry about Dave. Just have fun. That's what we're all here for."

Cruz nodded, taking a deep breath. "It's been a while since I played just for fun."

Josh smiled, clapping Cruz on the back. "Then you're in for a treat."

The game began, and the cafe was filled with the sounds of clicking keyboards, laughter, and playful banter. Despite Dave's antics, the team worked well together, with Cruz and Josh leading the charge.

At one point, after a particularly impressive play by Cruz, Josh cheered, "That's how it's done! Nice one, Cruz!"

Cruz laughed, feeling a weight lift off his shoulders. "Thanks, Josh. It feels good to just play and not worry about ranks or stats."

As the game progressed, the group's chemistry was evident. Even with Dave's occasional missteps, they laughed it off and continued playing. The atmosphere was light and fun, a stark contrast to the high-pressure games Cruz was used to.

After a few rounds, Cruz leaned back in his chair, a smile on his face. "Thanks, guys. I needed this."

Josh grinned. "Anytime, Cruz. That's what friends are for."

After Josh's comment about friendship, Cruz raised an eyebrow, a hint of amusement in his eyes. "Friends, huh?"

Josh chuckled, "Yeah, I mean, we've been hanging out, playing games, and having a good time. Sounds like friends to me. Unless you have a different definition?"

Cruz smirked, "No, that sounds about right. Just wasn't expecting it, that's all."

The camaraderie between the two was evident, but the gaming session took a challenging turn. Despite their best efforts, the next two matches were unequivocal losses, primarily due to Iron Dave's antics. In one game, Dave's repeated missteps empowered an enemy Sion to become an unkillable force. In the next, an Illaoi, fed by Dave's unintentional generosity, wreaked havoc, decimating their team with every encounter.

After the second crushing defeat, Cruz leaned back in his chair, running a hand through his hair. "Well, that was... something."

Josh laughed, "Yeah, something is one way to put it. But hey, it's all in good fun, right?"

Cruz nodded, "Definitely. It's been a while since I played just for the fun of it. Thanks for that."

Feeling the weight of the losses but still in high spirits, Cruz then suggested, "How about we take a break from the games? I know a place nearby that's pretty nice. Ever been to the Thames at night?"

Josh's eyes lit up, "No, but I've heard it's beautiful. Let's go!"

"Hey, we're heading out," Josh announced, standing up from his gaming station and stretching.

Emily looked up from her screen, a smile forming on her face. "Already? The night's still young!"

Cruz chuckled, "We thought we'd take a break, get some fresh air. You know, after those... intense games."

Alex laughed, "Intense is a way to describe it. Thanks for the games, guys. It was a blast."

Iron Dave, overhearing the conversation, piped up, "Sorry about those feeds. Next time, I promise I'll be the carry!"

Josh grinned, "No worries, Dave. It's all in good fun. We'll hold you to that promise, though."

Tony, hearing the commotion, approached the group. "Heading out so soon? It was great having you both here. Cruz, it was a pleasure to meet a Grandmaster in person."

Cruz smiled, "Thanks, Tony. It was a great experience. And thanks for the games, everyone."

Emily winked, "Anytime. Just remember to carry us next time, okay?"

Josh laughed, "Deal."

As they made their way to the exit, the group exchanged final goodbyes and promises to meet up again soon. The atmosphere in the Game Nest was still lively, with gamers engrossed in their matches and the sound of laughter echoing throughout.

They decided to take the tube from the nearby station, which would drop them off close to the Thames. As they descended the escalator, the familiar hum of the underground enveloped them. The tube was packed, but they managed to find a spot to stand. The rhythmic motion of the train and the muted conversations of fellow passengers created a soothing backdrop.

After a short ride, they emerged into the cool evening air. The sun was beginning its descent, casting a golden hue over the city. They walked towards the river, the cobblestone streets echoing their footsteps.

Soon, they reached a serene spot by the Thames. The water reflected the city lights, creating a mesmerizing dance of shimmering gold and deep blue. The London Eye stood tall in the distance, its capsules slowly rotating, offering passengers a bird's eye view of the city.

It felt like stepping out of a bustling arcade and into a quiet reading room. The constant hum and excitement of the esports world seemed to fade, replaced by the gentle lapping of the Thames and the distant murmur of the city.

Cruz leaned against the railing, his silhouette framed by the setting sun. The golden light caught the edges of his dark hair, giving him an almost ethereal glow. He took a deep breath, the cool air filling his lungs. "That last move you pulled in the game was risky, Josh. But I'm glad it paid off."

Josh chuckled, "Sometimes, you have to take a leap of faith."

A group of kids walked by, their animated discussion about the latest game strategies filling the air. A boat glided smoothly on the Thames, its lights reflecting on the water, creating a trail of shimmering gold. A dog nearby decided to mark its territory on a lamppost, much to the chagrin of its owner.

The world around them felt alive, yet in that moment, it was just the two of them, sharing a connection.

After a brief pause, Josh's gaze turned distant, lost in thought. The weight of his dreams and aspirations seemed to press down on him. "You know, Cruz," he began, his voice soft, "Growing up in Norwich, especially after my parents passed, I'd often dream. Dream of a place where I belonged, where I could make a difference."

Cruz turned to face him, the barriers he'd built over the years slowly crumbling. There was a vulnerability in his eyes, a willingness to listen, to understand. The setting sun painted his face with hues of gold and crimson, highlighting the depth of his emotions.

"You know, Josh," Cruz began, his voice tinged with a hint of nostalgia, "Growing up in Kensington, surrounded by affluence, many thought I had it all. But the truth is, I often felt isolated. My family was always busy, and I... I didn't have many friends."

Josh listened intently, the gentle lapping of the Thames against the banks providing a soothing backdrop to Cruz's words.

Cruz continued, "Esports became my refuge. It was the one place where I felt I belonged, where I could be myself. But even then, I yearned for something more. A bond, a connection, something real."

A momentary silence enveloped them, punctuated only by the distant hum of the city. Josh's thoughts raced, reflecting on his own journey and the dreams he held close to his heart.

Taking a deep breath, Josh's gaze turned distant, lost in the vast canvas of his aspirations. "Cruz," he began, his voice soft yet resolute, "I've been thinking... I want to create a team. Not just any team, but the best team in the academy. And once we conquer that, we'll aim for the world."

The intensity in Josh's eyes was palpable. The burning desire, the unwavering determination. It was as if the very air around them crackled with energy.

"I want us to be legends," Josh whispered, the weight of his dreams pressing down on him. "I've seen what we can do together, and I believe in us. In our potential."

The horizon, painted with the brilliant hues of the setting sun, seemed to stretch infinitely before them. It was a symbol of endless possibilities, of dreams waiting to be realized. Josh felt a surge of inspiration, the name of their future team forming in his mind.

"Horizon," he murmured, almost to himself, the word resonating with the vast expanse before them. "That's what we'll call our team. A team that will always look forward, always aim higher."

With newfound determination, he extended his hand towards Cruz, not as a mere gesture, but as an invitation to a shared destiny. "Join me on the Horizon, Cruz. Together, we'll redefine the limits of what's possible."

Cruz, moved by the depth of Josh's conviction, didn't hesitate. He firmly grasped the offered hand, the bond between them solidifying in that singular moment. It was the beginning of a new Horizon.

0