Chapter One: Incentivization
664 9 19
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Incentivization

~ 2023 ~

I lean forward, hands holding onto the railing of the boat's upper deck. Ronni might have been happy to just mope and drink at the bar, but I needed to see it again with my own eyes. I exhale, look out over the blue waters ahead. It was much earlier in the year than we usually come, so the mist boiled around the shores and the chill in the air overtook any kind of tropical memories this place usually brought up. But still, even after everything, it was beautiful. The island has always been beautiful, a place I'd visited many times before. Back when dad… when everyone was still alive. Its mosaic cliffs bookended a pristine beach that was only broken up by the pier we were to dock at.

A soft sigh next to me puts me back into reality. “Never get tired of that view myself.” A dark, husky voice speaks out from beside me. I look over to a young woman peering wistfully over the railing, head resting on her outstretched arms, long straight hair pooling around her like the waves. “Especially this time of year, when it’s true beauty comes out.” 

Well now, this is a lovely surprise. And here I thought this trip was going to be as glum as Ronni said. Leave the grim details for later, no reason I can’t have a little fun first. Step one, throw out a little bait. I turn around, grabbing the edges of my polo shirt’s deep open v and toying with my chain with my fingers. Let my other hand fall into my short’s pocket. “It is quite the sight. But who might this beautiful creature in it be?” 

She laughs, brushes me off. “I could ask you the same question! Not many new faces this time of year.” She pivots to look up at me. Her face is innocent, dewy eyed. Pouty lips upturned into a small smile. “Hopefully signing up to join me working the off hours? Or just a wayward tourist trying to get a discount by coming off season?”

I put on a show laugh, buffing my nails playfully against my polo. “Sorry to disappoint you, but I haven’t had to work in a long time. And what about you? Surely someone as beautiful as you couldn’t be the help then? A passing supermodel trying to avoid the press maybe?”

She shakes her head equally as playfully. “Damn, and here I was thinking you’d be normal.” She fishes out an ID badge from her pocket and flashes it to me. “Coming back from leave. You’ll probably have me serving you sometime soon, then. Try not to be too degrading when you see me like the rest of them.”

I chuckle. Time to pull out the ol’ shock and awe. “Well, I don’t think I need much of a discount to come here.” I run my hand through my short wavy hair, let the bait sit for a second before reeling her in. “Considering I own it.”

She exhales slightly, smiles wider. “That’s funny. Last time I checked this place was owned by the ‘famous’ Veronica Penrose!” She waggles her fingers around her face as she says it, dismissively. Clearly Ronni’s reputation continues to evade her. “That’s the name on all my checks at least. And in those awful seminars they demand we come to yearly.”

I chew the inside of my cheek, grit for a second. “Ronni’s name might be in the paperwork, but it’s my island. Told me herself that she would have gotten rid of it if it weren’t for me. I told her she’s insane. It’s special. I could never let it go. So, if you wanted to thank anyone for those checks…” I nod slightly, flicking my hand up to the air.

She crosses her arms, a sly look on her face. “Bullshit. She’s one of the most famous people out there, the rich land heiress. Wouldn’t I have seen you around with her if you had that kind of pull?”

Time for the kill. I pull the chain off my neck, let the small pendant dangle in front of her. “I’m sure you’ve seen this sign before, though. Penrose family crest. We all wear it somewhere.” She gently takes it, letting the chain pool into her dainty hands. She stares at it for a long moment, letting it glint into the fading sunlight.

Suddenly her smile widens out to its full dimensions. It’s toothy, shimmering, brilliant. Almost doesn’t fit in her face, it’s so big. “Oh my god. I know why I don’t recognize you. You’re the brother! Nevermind then. Oh, everyone’s heard of you.”

Fuck, of course she’s heard that. That’s gonna make conquest so much harder here. I shake my head. “I don’t care about what lies you heard in the back rooms. It’s slander. Besides, I seriously hate whenever anyone calls me that. She hasn’t been my sister, in law, for five years. They just want a scandal.”

“Oh, but what a scandal it is! The bad boy thrown out of the family? Only to be snuck back in like a dirty little secret? Can you blame anyone for believing you would do anything for that? Having to become your own sister… in law’s, boytoy to get back in?” I flex my knuckles retroactively. No, come on, it’s a little teasing. Calm down.

I fix a smile at her, try to match. I almost made it. “But I am in, no matter what wild rumors about us the paparazzi can come up with. Can you blame me for wanting to stay out of the papers after all that. I’d rather be a recluse than a freak.”

She dangles the pendant out between her fingers daintily, handing it back to me. “I guess I couldn’t, loverboy. Wouldn’t want the world to see me either.”

I snatch it back quickly, holding it tight in my palm. I look back over to her, run my hand though my hair again to calm myself. “Look. If you want to call me anything, call me Eddy.” 

Her smile stays wide and bright, a glint in her eyes. She reaches her hand up for me to take and kiss, which I do. “Naia. Charmed.” She leans back over the railing, twirling a long strand of hair in her finger. Got her. “So then. Why couldn’t you give it up? What’s so special to you about this island?”

I lean back over and watch the island slowly come closer into view. The cliff faces shining pearlescent in the late evening sun. “Has anyone ever told you the legend of Siren’s Cove?”

Hello Everyone! If you would like to support my work, or you would like to read the rest of it right now, or just want to have it on your ereader of choice, then please take note: I'm selling this novelette on my Itch.io page!

I'd also like to thank the lovely DarkSun Morrigan and QuillRabbit for their feedback and help during the writing process: go check out their works, they're both fantastic authors~ We also have a discord channel open to the public if you'd like to interact with us!

Thank you so much for reading, and please! Feel free to comment below, or join in on the server. I always love to hear your feedback~

19