Ch.16 – BBQ breakfast and the group punishment
189 3 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Today something other than birds wakes me up. It's a smell that I don't recognise, but it's really pleasant. I open my eyes and quickly take a whiff of Sammy, but the smell is not coming from her. I go outside and discover its origin. Several kobolds are sitting by a fire, slowly roasting an animal using a spit. One of them notices me and approaches me. “Greeting King. A present. From us. Is washed.” The kobold opens his hand and shows me a blue piece of meat, which I gladly accept. Observing the surroundings, I can see that some kobolds have acquired a new type of weapon. It was a bow along with a basic quiver containing a few arrows.

“Where did you get the bows?” I query the group and promptly get an answer accompanied by confused expressions. “Made ourselves? Why ask?” “Oh, I just wanted to know whether you discovered them somewhere or created them yourselves.” They invite me to sit next to them, on a simple chair, to show the difference in positions. However, I still talk with them and even have a portion of the newly barbecued animal. To be honest, it is strange to have food for the first time since my creation, but the taste is quite satisfying. Perhaps they have discovered some kind of spice, or some kind of technique to enhance the flavour without the use of spices or anything of the sort. Now, let me return to the subjects that I discussed with them.

Apparently, they live in a completely different plane called the “Spirit Realm”. There they have built a civilisation almost entirely populated by kobolds resembling themselves. They are aware that higher-ranking beings reside on other floors of the realm. They've told me about the different occupations they have in this realm. However, they are largely unfamiliar with the rules and extent of the various races since they live on the lowest floor of a nearly sealed-off section of the realm. Maybe a higher-ranked summon can answer the questions I have on this subject.

The kobolds and I were about to finish our conversation when the sleepyhead finally became noticeable. She approaches me with a yawn, small eyes and a grumpy “Good morning”, stops next to me and sits down on the floor after a few seconds. Before she even gets a chance to look around, someone pushes a piece of roasted meat into her hands. She seems confused as the kobold grins at her, but it quickly gives her a thumbs up and says, “Here meat. Wakes you. Very tasty.” She takes a few bites, and it's clear that the meal is affecting her. Her entire face turns red, and she begins to breathe quickly and shallowly. After that, she stands up and runs off into the forest.

“What did you give her?” I ask with a mixture of confusion and threat. The response doesn't take more than a few seconds. “Sorry, sorry. Spiciest meat. Wakes one. But tasty.” I cannot help but chuckle upon hearing that. “I must request you to stop these pranks. I cannot assure your safety if you persist with these practical jokes. Unless you want to end up on a rotating spit.” This helps the kobolds understand the potential consequences of their actions.

After a while, Sammy comes back unhurt but pissed off from the prank earlier. As she approaches us, her angry expression gradually fades and becomes a smile. A menacing smile. “It appears that all of you have ample energy, so I will make certain that you work extra hard till exhaustion today. Do not even consider taking a break even for a moment, or I will skin you alive.” I think to myself, 'The duality of a woman'. I seem to have reacted differently to Sammy’s statement compared to the kobolds, who seem to be frozen.

Sammy turns her head towards me and says, “Don't worry, Milord, you won't be left out. You will fight against me in a mock battle. Or many of them. You said that you wanted to become stronger, haven't you?” “But I didn’t even do anything!” I try to object her. “That's absolutely correct. You did nothing. But is it not true that you cannot become stronger without doing anything?” Although she doesn't say it, her expression leaves me in no doubt that I'll be in trouble if I object any further. I let out a sigh and accept her proposal, knowing that I have no other choice.

It makes me wonder how someone who can be so sweet and cute can show traits of a harsh and tough drill sergeant when she barks orders at the kobolds. After a few minutes, all the kobolds disappeared, and now her attention is on me. “So, are you ready to die? Only metaphorically of course.” Her grin is now sadistic, and she seems to be enjoying herself at the same time.

“It appears that you have forgotten who the superior is and who the subordinate is.” I counter, but am quickly shot down. “All I see is a two-metre-tall pretty boy who flaunts his status like it's a ticket to wherever he wants to go. Do you believe that the wolves from yesterday would have been afraid of you just because of your status? The answer is no. Plain and simple. Not even the other sentient races think about your status in the heat of battle, and neither should you. Being a Demon King doesn't save you when it's a matter of kill or be killed. The only thing that matters is who kills whom first.”

“I know you're right, but- “ While I try to argue with her again, Sammy has already closed the distance between us by this time and throws the first punch at me. Despite my best efforts to block the blow, it is too quick and lands on my stomach, knocking me back a couple of metres. In addition, I lose my balance and fall backwards. I look up and see Sammy towering over me with her arms crossed. “You talk too much when you shouldn’t. Stand up and get stronger or stay there and remain weak. It's your choice.” She turns around and walks away, and I get up on my feet again. “Oh, it looks like the handsome boy does have some fighting spirit inside him.” I express my disagreement by clicking my tongue but otherwise remain silent, even though I would like to give my opinion. I move closer to Sammy, but she blocks my blow and the series of mock fights officially begins.

Chapter completed. This time I used a different style for deepl. Please give your opinion in the poll below.

How does this style of writing compare to the previous chapters?
  • It's better Votes: 3 42.9%
  • No real difference Votes: 3 42.9%
  • It's worse Votes: 1 14.3%
Total voters: 7
3