Chapter 21
56 3 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I make my way back to Gerudo Town, guarding the precious Thunder Helm, grumbling about the entire load of nonsense I’d had to go through to get it. I hope this will convince the chief that I can indeed do what I set out to.

In the palace, Buliara informs me that Lady Riju is on the second floor, and that I have been given special permission to go up, as well as ‘warning’ me to be polite and not cause trouble, lest she be forced to deal with me. I nod, and make my way up to find the owner of the stupid Thunder Helm.

I find her looking out over the town. She turns at my approach, and smiles.

“I’ve been waiting for you… Ooh, you needn’t say a word. As the chief of the Gerudo, I can sense the power of the heirloom flowing from you. I know that you’ve succeeded! I am, as you have no doubt noticed, still but a child. The people look on me with nothing but warmth in their eyes, but even this brings me some pain, I must admit… I’ve tried so hard to be worthy of their love, to be a worthy chief… and to prove to myself that I was worthy, too.”

She looks down. “When my family heirloom was stolen, I felt as though a shadow had fallen over me… yes, your arrival in the midst of all this must be the work of Lady Urbosa… now, please give me the helm.”

I hand it over, and she places it on. I watch in a daze as my head starts to throb slightly. A memory!

 

The desert night stretches out beneath the Divine Beast, cool and quiet. I make my way along an external gantry towards Urbosa and Zel, sighing.

The Gerudo Champion turns her head, smiling. “Ah, well… you certainly got here fast. I should have expected as much, coming from the princess’ own appointed knight. She was out on a survey all day today. Still as the sands now…”

Zel is asleep, leaning against Urbosa’s shoulder. I can’t help but smile fondly. I hope Urbosa didn’t notice.

“So…? Spill it, boy. Have the two of you been getting along alright?”

I shift a little, and Urbosa smirks. “It’s okay… I know. Your silence speaks volumes. She gets frustrated every time she looks up and sees you carrying that sword on your back. It makes her feel like a failure when it comes to her own destiny. But don’t worry, it’s not like you carry any blame in any of this. ”

I sigh, looking out into the desert. “I know… but it still makes me feel guilty… I want to help her, but… I’m partially the cause of her problems…”

“It’s unfortunate. She’s put in more than enough time. Ever since she was a young girl, she’s gone through rigorous daily routines to show her dedication… She once passed out in the freezing waters trying to access this sealing power.  And… she has nothing to show for it… that’s the motivation driving her research. I’d be doing the same thing. She really is quite… special…”

I watch as Urbosa brushes a strand of hair out of Zel’s face.

“You be sure to protect her with your life… it’s quite the honour.”

She smiles at me. “The night brings a chill… it’s probably time we take her in. Oooorrrr…”

I start as Urbosa raises a hand, snapping her fingers. A massive bolt of lightning strikes the desert sands, and Zel jerks awake, gasping and squeaking. “Urbosa! What was that?! Did you feel that?!” she pauses, turning her head slowly towards me. I’m… blushing? Dammit…

“Wait, what-how did you-what are you doing here?!”

 

Urbosa throws her head back, laughing, as Zel whirls. “Wh-what’s so funny?” I smile, almost imperceptibly, as Urbosa reaches out and picks up her Thunder Helm…

 

I jolt back to myself. Riju is staring at me through the Helm.

“What’s wrong? You’re just staring… anyway, what matters now is… how is it? Do I look alright?”

I bite my lip, before smiling. “It looks good, Lady Riju!”

She smiles a little, and then turns. “The threat Divine Beast Vah Naboris poses has only grown since we began searching for the heirloom. I believe that Gerudo Town itself may be in danger before too long… As chief, and as a Gerudo, I must find some way to stop that thing before it threatens my people. Will you help me?”

I nod, performing a feminine bow. “Of course!”

The young Gerudo giggles. “Heheheh, who would have thought that, just before such a momentous battle… hearing a simple, confident pledge of support from you would be what puts me at ease? I’ll head out now. Let’s meet up at the lookout post, south of town. There’s only one way to get close to Naboris, and that’s with the help of a sand seal. I’ll see you there!”

She turns and runs off, and I take a few deep breaths of scorching desert air. The trip is relatively short, about an hour, and I reach the lookout post, climbing the ladder to meet the Gerudo chief. Shortly after, the plan is hatched. Riju, using the Thunder Helm, will shield an area around her to block Naboris’ lightning. Meanwhile I, using a sand seal, will target the Divine Beast’s feet with bomb arrows to prevent it from drawing energy from the earth. I accept a bundle of explosive arrows from the Gerudo chief.

 “Thank you. Shall we commence?”

 “In just a second. Could you please give me a bit of room?” Riju asks, and I step back, my sand seal borking at me, watching what happens next.

Riju raises her arms towards the sky.

“My name is Riju, descendant of the royal line and leader of the Gerudo people! With the power of the heirloom passed down through my family, I shall calm the Divine Beast Vah Naboris! Ancestors of the Gerudo! Answer my call! Aid me in this task!”

He body crackles with greenish lightning, which expands out into a dome around her, several metres in diameter. An impressive display of power, no doubt about it. I can see exactly WHY the Thunder Helm could withstand a direct hit from the lightning generated by the Divine Beast.

I prepare myself to surf over the sand, dragged by a sand seal, as Riju commands, “Let’s move!”

My seal borks again, and we’re off, skimming over the warm sand, my bow ready, a bomb arrow nocked for the first opportunity to take my shot.

The next twenty or so minutes are nothing but chaos, bolts of lightning slamming down and getting repelled by the field, borking sand seals, and volleys of explosions from the bomb arrows. At the end, however, the Divine Beast falls into a position that allows me to access the inside.

Riju shouts, “Unfortunately, I cannot appease Naboris on my own! I have no choice but to entrust the rest to you!”

I nod, and run off, scrambling aboard as the giant robotic camel rises, active once again. I hope Riju can make it back to Gerudo Town alone. I have my own problems to deal with, as Vah Naboris takes me with it.

The Travel Gate activates when I use my Sheikah Slate on the terminal, and I hear a voice.

“Well, well, well… you sure do know how to keep a woman waiting. I can’t wait to see you take Naboris back from Ganon!”

I smile. “Hello, Lady Urbosa. It’s… It’s Linka. I’m here to show you the kind of woman I am now. I hope you’ll be impressed…”

 “One thing at a time, my little Hylian sister. Find the map, activate the terminals. I’m sure you know the drill by now, yes?”

I nod. “I know. I’m on it!”

Inside the main body of the Divine Beast, I make my way to the Guidance Stone bearing the map, and enable my control over part of the system. From there, I begin targeting each of the terminals, focussing on getting through the Divine Beast as quickly as possible, hoping to show how much I’ve grown since I got my butt kicked a century ago. Finally, the last terminal turns blue, and I head to the central control core, readying myself for the upcoming fight.

 

The terminal flashes, and a torrent of that horrible gunk pours out, combining with blue Sheikah-esque energy, forming a grotesque figure armed with an energy scimitar and shield, lightning erupting around it.

Urbosa chimes in, “Stay on your edge, Linka. This formidable adversary was made by Ganon, and brought me to a warrior’s demise a hundred years ago. Do not allow this to be your end. Fight for your life… and its death!”

 

I draw the Master Sword, twirling it as I raise my shield. “With pleasure… big sister!”

The creature moves in stuttering jerks, faster than anything I’ve fought yet. My shield blocks its strike, and I capitalize, breaking its guard and inflicting damage as fast as I can.

“Beautiful!”

I smile, not taking my eyes off my opponent. We move in an almost balletic dance, weaving in and out of contact, blades meeting shields and clashing. I backflip over a swipe and lash out with a strike of my own. At some point, the monstrosity retreats and begins raining down pillars, lightning striking each one after a few moments, as it tries to keep me at bay.

However, since the pillars are made of metal, my Magnesis rune comes in clutch, and I pull a pillar up, bringing it close to the creature. It ISN’T immune to its own lightning, and takes a good hit from a bolt.

It tries to close with me, charging its scimitar with electricity, but I break through its defence and deliver a flurry of blows, sending it back again as it withdraws, flinging balls of lightning that bounce around crazily for a few moments, before trying to engage in melee again. When I force it onto the back foot again, it fires a Guardian-like laser beam, and Daruk’s Protection takes the hit, my barrier cracking a little, before it makes one last, desperate attempt, and ends up with the Master Sword rammed through its chest, magenta light spilling from its thrashing form.

Poof! It vanishes, and I pant, sheathing my sword and catching my breath. “Let’s not do that again, thank you…”

I make tracks to the central control core, and rest my Sheikah Slate against the terminal, causing the orange to be replaced with blue. The fourth and final Divine Beast… is free.

As I place the Sheikah Slate back on my hip, I hear high heels clacking on the stony surface of the Divine Beast’s flooring, and turn, my own heels clicking in response.

“I knew you wouldn’t let us down, little sister. Thanks to your valour and skill, my soul is free, and Naboris is ours once more.”

Urbosa steps towards me, her blue-painted lips curved in a deep smile. Her brilliant red hair blazes, and her armour glitters, gold and jewels adorning her figure.

“Which means that, finally… we can complete what we started years ago. We Gerudo have no tolerance for unfinished business.”

She stands before me, and I curtsey, before twirling slowly, to show here the real me, and she claps slowly, beaming warmly. I smile back. “Hello, big sister. It’s… The real me this time. But, I suspect you already knew that, didn’t you?”

“Guilty as charged. It was obvious to me, but then, it takes a special type of woman to recognize a woman who hasn’t realised she is one, hmmhmmhmm! Anyway… I’ve waited so long for the moment to see you finally rush Hyrule Castle… As well as for the moment when I incinerate Ganon into a pile of ash. Which reminds me, I wanted to give you a little something, from one sister to another... Please, accept this gift, which has come to be known as Urbosa’s Fury. It will no doubt be of use to you!”

With an elegant pose and a snap of her fingers, the Gerudo Champion launches a yellow orb of power, straight at me. It sinks into my body, and I feel every hair on my head start standing up. I raise a hand, pirouette in place, and snap my own fingers, and lightning crashes down all around me.

She sighs. “Both you and the princess… I know you have suffered much regarding what happened to us Champions. But this is how things had to happen. No-one need carry blame. So please, make it clear, so she understands that. Tell her to shed any worries. And, let her know… I couldn’t be more proud of her.”

As golden light starts to glow around me, Urbosa smiles. “You take good care of the princess. Oh, and also… take good care of Hyrule.” She winks, and I nod, a smile on my lips, as I vanish.

7