Chapter ♦ Nine
44 0 10
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

A large spiraling chandelier hung from the cobblestone ceiling, its warm amber light clashing with the shimmering glow of chalcedony orbs. Arrays of intricate artifacts swarmed the many oaken shelves, located on the outer walls of the room, while a rounded sculpted table stood at its center. A tall and slim woman stood atop a set of stairs; her hair short and silverish, and eyes of striking azure shade, she was an elderly woman of grand beauty nonetheless. A surprised, but pleased expression waved upon her face, as she noticed a particular student walking in.

"My! If it isn’t Mr Black." She uttered, as she waltzed down to her pristine chesterfield. "And on time for a change- you even remembered to bring your books!" His early presence was unusual, and his readiness almost alarming. Few moments passed, as she reckoned her students.

"Good." She uttered in contentment, as all of her pupils were present. "For today’s lesson, you will learn about three new runes." She scrolled down a large diagram. "The first one being the runic symbol known as The Unknown, also referred to as Perthro Ignotus Runo." She pointed her wand at one of the many strange symbols depicted on the parchment. "Can anyone tell me what number it represents?" She quizzed; surprisingly enough, she obtained a response from her most unlikely student.

"Seven." Sirius answered with ease, as he lounged on his chair.

"Very good Mr Black... very good indeed." She could only replied, a stupefied and bemused expression upon her face. "The Unknown is used in the rune alphabet, as the representation for the number seven. Ironically enough, very little is known about this symbol, and its full meaning is yet to be deciphered… For centuries, renowned runologists have tried in vain, to unravel the mystery shrouding this very rune." Her enthusiasm was nothing short. "Many theories have been passed down within the wizardry world; however, none can be confirmed."

Why that rune? Sirius narrowed his eyes; a thought flashed in his mind.

"Like any other runes, it does have its purpose; however, it remained undefined." She continued. "Some theories will speculate that its definition, its very roots, lies within Death itself. While others will speculate that its true meaning lies within the many stars. No one knows for sure, for The Unknown may forever remain- well... unknown." She stated in conclusion for the lesson’s first tier.

 

10