Chapter 47
9 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Confusion clouded Aurelius' face as he beheld the desperation within the eyes of the Chosen. However, he swiftly brushed aside his unease, refusing to let a mere trick distract him.

Aurelius stepped resolutely forward at the sight of the Dark Elven Chosen, striding past the High Elven frontline, infusing his weapons with mana through his Arcane Blade. He halted, shifting into a defensive fighting stance. Aurelius knew that this was an opponent that he could likely not beat, at least not alone. If he were to have a chance he would need the help of some of the High Elves behind him, the headmaster being a prime example.

Standing at the forefront of the ranks of High Elves, Aurelius could feel the weight of the eyes upon him - those staring at his back, and the piercing gaze of the two that bore into his very soul from the front.

As the tension mounted and the two Chosen locked eyes, the battlefield fell into an eerie silence. It was as if time had frozen for that brief moment, the universe holding its breath in anticipation of the impending clash between the two.

Aurelius drew in a deep breath, steadying his nerves, as he surrendered himself to the guidance of his training and instincts. His focus narrowed on the Dark Elven Chosen, analyzing every movement and subtle shift in the man's posture. He had to find a weakness, exploit any opening, and use his abilities strategically.

Suddenly, the Dark Elven Chosen raised his hand, and darkness coalesced around him, forming a wickedly curved blade. Dark energy crackled along the weapon's edge, and its malevolence seemed to seep into the air around it.

Without hesitation, the Chosen lunged forward, moving with uncanny speed and agility for a being of his size. The High Elven defenders tensed, but before they could react, Aurelius intercepted the Chosen's strike, clashing his own Arcane Blade against the dark blade.

A surge of power rippled through Aurelius as the two Chosen engaged in their fierce duel. The force of the clash sent shockwaves through the ground, and nearby High Elven defenders staggered back, their eyes wide with amazement and fear.

The headmaster watched from a short distance away, assessing the situation and preparing to intervene if needed. He knew that this battle was beyond anything he had ever encountered, and the stakes were too high to leave to chance.

Aurelius gritted his teeth, realizing that he couldn't match the Chosen's raw strength and power in a head-to-head confrontation. Instead, he had to rely on his speed, agility, and teleportation to gain the upper hand.

Just as he was watching the Chosen’s next move, Aurelius could feel his Blade Dancer’s senses warning him about an attack coming from his backside. Without hesitation, Aurelius used his teleportation to move out of the way. 

 

Damn, another 15 mana gone. 

 

Looking back, Aurelius saw a dark spear rise up off the ground and pierce the spot he had just been at. Seeing what could have likely been his death, a cold sweat ran down Aurelius’ back, profusely thanking his Blade Dancer senses. 

As the battle raged on, Aurelius realized that he couldn't afford to keep using his teleportation ability so liberally. His mana reserves were draining quickly, and he needed to conserve energy for when it truly mattered.

The Dark Elven Chosen was relentless, striking with deadly precision and forcing Aurelius to stay on the defensive. With each clash, the Chosen's dark aura seemed to intensify, and Aurelius could feel the weight of malevolence pressing down on him. He knew he had to end this fight quickly before the Chosen's power overwhelmed him.

Summoning all his strength, Aurelius pushed back the Chosen with a well-timed teleportation, creating some distance between them. He saw an opportunity to strike back, using his agility to his advantage. Darting forward, he unleashed a flurry of strikes, each one infused with blue arcane energy, aiming for weak points in the Chosen's armor.

The Chosen parried most of Aurelius's attacks, but the force behind each strike made him step back slightly. It was a minor victory, but Aurelius knew he couldn't afford to let up.

The Chosen grunted, momentarily staggering backwards at one of Aurelius’ swings. Aurelius quickly followed up with a barrage of strikes, his teleportation allowing him to move swiftly and unpredictably, making it difficult for the Chosen to counter.

For a moment, it seemed like Aurelius might gain the upper hand, but the Chosen's experience and skill proved formidable. He retaliated with a surge of dark energy, sending Aurelius flying back.

Aurelius landed on the ground with a thud, groaning. As Aurelius struggled to get up, the Chosen advanced, his malevolent aura growing stronger as he pressed the attack. 

Before Aurelius could regain his footing, a black hand shot out from the Dark Elven Chosen, grasping Aurelius around the throat and lifting him into the air. The Dark energy that was the hand quickly grew larger, beginning to envelop Aurelius like a cocoon.

Desperate, Aurelius attempted to teleport away, but his reliable teleportation ability suddenly failed him. Frantically, he tried again, but to no avail. It was as if the cocoon was blocking his teleportation. Simultaneously, he felt his health and mana draining at an alarming rate and panic started engulfing his heart. He tried to scream, but the cocoon had tightly wrapped around his face, muffling his voice.

 

===

***

===

 

The headmaster watched from a distance, his concern growing with each passing moment. Realizing the dire situation Aurelius was in, the headmaster knew he had to act swiftly. But facing the powerful Chosen alone was a daunting task. He had to find a way to break the Dark Elven's hold on Aurelius and give him a chance to escape.

Thinking quickly, the headmaster focused his mana, channeling it into a powerful shadow spell. With a swift gesture, he unleashed a barrage of shadowy spikes at the Chosen. The dark projectiles flew through the air, aiming to disrupt the Chosen's concentration and force him to release his grip on Aurelius.

As the spikes closed in on the Chosen, the malevolent aura surrounding him seemed to protect him. The dark energy deflected the spikes, rendering the headmaster's attack ineffective.

Frustrated, the Headmaster began to try a different approach. As the dark energy continued to drain Aurelius's life force, the headmaster's second spell took shape. Shadowy tendrils of energy coalesced around his hand, forming a twisted symbol of power. He focused his intent on saving Aurelius, channeling all his strength into the spell.

With a powerful incantation, the headmaster unleashed the spell, directing the shadowy tendrils towards the Dark Elven Chosen. The tendrils wrapped around the Chosen's arm, attempting to pry him open and distract him enough to release Aurelius from his deadly grip.

The Chosen roared in anger and pain as the headmaster's shadow magic disrupted his hold on Aurelius. With a powerful surge of energy, the headmaster managed to weaken the cocoon of dark energy, buying Aurelius some precious seconds to escape.

Gasping for breath, Aurelius managed to summon his teleportation ability once more. He vanished from the Chosen's grasp and reappeared several feet away, just out of the reach of the dark cocoon.

The Dark Elven Chosen turned his attention towards the headmaster, his eyes ablaze with fury. He released a surge of dark energy, sending a wave of malevolence hurtling towards the headmaster. But, the headmaster had expected this response.

With a swift motion of his hand, the headmaster erected a barrier of shadow magic to shield himself from the Chosen's attack. The malevolent wave of energy struck the barrier, causing it to ripple and crackle with power, but it held strong.

The headmaster knew he couldn't keep up the defensive spell for long. The Chosen's power was overwhelming, and it took all his focus to maintain the barrier. He needed a plan, a way to turn the tide of this battle.

 

===

***

===

 

As the headmaster grappled with the Chosen, Aurelius regained his composure. Glancing at his status screen, he noted with concern that the dark cocoon had depleted almost half of his health pool, leaving him in a precarious state. Moreover, his mana had dwindled to a meager 105 points, scarcely a third of its total capacity. 

Despite the desperate situation, Aurelius needed to take a minute for his mana pool to somewhat recover. His heart pounded in his chest as he surveyed the battlefield, searching for an alternative. 

The High Elven defenders were still engaged in fierce combat with the remaining Dark Elves, their focus split between their own battles and the duel between the Chosen and Aurelius. Aurelius realized that he needed to draw the attention of the Dark Elves away from the headmaster, giving him the opportunity to land a decisive blow against the Chosen.

Aurelius sprinted towards the battle, making sure not to infuse his weapon with mana, conserving it for later. He engaged the Dark Elves with calculated strikes, at times using his teleportation to disappear and reappear among them, creating confusion and chaos in their ranks.

His presence on the battlefield didn't go unnoticed. Dark Elf warriors turned their attention to Aurelius, recognizing him as a significant threat. The High Elven defenders took advantage of this distraction, redoubling their efforts and pressing the attack.

As Aurelius fought, he noticed the Chosen's attention wavering for a split second, his gaze shifting towards the ongoing battle between the Dark Elves and the High Elves. It was the opening Aurelius had been waiting for.

Glancing at his status screen, Aurelius noticed that his mana had regenerated to 200 points. While it wasn't at its maximum capacity, he knew it would have to suffice for the time being.

With a surge of determination, Aurelius once again channeled his mana into his Arcane Blade and charged towards the Chosen. He moved with blinding speed, occasionally teleporting from one point to another, leaving streaks of green energy in his wake.

The Chosen turned just in time to see Aurelius descending upon him, his blade raised high. The two Chosen clashed once more, their weapons colliding with a deafening sound. The force of the impact sent shockwaves rippling through the ground, and the Chosen was momentarily staggered.

Sensing an opportunity, Aurelius teleported behind the Chosen, ready to strike. The Chosen was quick to react, however, sensing Aurelius's presence even before he had fully materialized.

The Chosen turned around, his malevolent gaze locked on Aurelius. With a flick of his wrist, he sent another dark energy blast hurtling towards Aurelius. Reacting on instinct, Aurelius teleported out of harm's way just in the nick of time. The dark energy blast struck the ground where he had been standing, creating a crater in its wake.

As Aurelius evaded the Chosen's attack, he once again realized that he couldn't afford to get caught in a prolonged battle. Despite his rest, Aurelius’ mana reserves were getting scarily low, and the Chosen's power seemed limitless. He needed to find a way to end this quickly.

Drawing on his training and instincts, Aurelius devised a plan. He began to engage the Chosen with hit-and-run tactics, sparingly using his teleportation to dart in and out of the Chosen's range, landing quick strikes and then immediately retreating. This kept the Chosen off-balance, unable to predict Aurelius's movements.

As the battle raged on, the headmaster seized the opportunity to summon a powerful shadow spell. With a whispered incantation, a shadowy vortex appeared behind the Chosen, threatening to engulf him. The dark tendrils snaked around the Chosen, constricting him and sapping his strength.

The Chosen growled in frustration and turned his attention towards the headmaster, trying to break free from the shadowy grasp. This distraction allowed Aurelius to execute another surprise attack. Using his teleportation, Aurelius swiftly closed the distance between him and the Chosen, who was now momentarily vulnerable. With a well-timed strike, he aimed directly at the Chosen's exposed side, where his armor seemed slightly weaker. The blade connected, and a burst of blue arcane energy surged through the Chosen's defenses.

The Chosen roared in pain, his malevolent aura flickering for a moment as the energy rippled through him. But, the Chosen was not one to be taken down easily. In a desperate attempt to escape, he summoned a surge of dark energy and forced Aurelius back, creating distance between them. The headmaster took advantage of the momentary weakness in the Chosen's defense and launched another spell, this time targeting the Chosen's dark blade.

The headmaster's shadow magic wrapped around the Chosen's weapon, attempting to disarm him. The Chosen's grip on the blade tightened, but the headmaster's spell proved relentless. The dark energy surrounding the blade began to waver, weakened by the headmaster's shadow magic.

Sensing the danger, the Chosen released a powerful shockwave, trying to break free from both the headmaster's spell and the shadow vortex. The shockwave rippled through the battlefield, knocking High Elven defenders off their feet and creating chaos in its wake.

As the Chosen fought to regain control, Aurelius saw a final opportunity to strike. He channeled the last remnants of his mana, which was now hovering near the single digits, into a final teleportation, reappearing right in front of the Chosen. Before the Chosen could react, Aurelius thrust his Arcane Blade forward with all his strength, aiming for the Chosen's heart.

The blade made contact, and for a moment, time seemed to stand still. However, to Aurelius's horror, the Chosen's dark armor and malevolent aura acted as an impenetrable shield. The tip of Aurelius' blade barely pierced the skin of the Chosen, failing to reach its heart.

Thinking quickly, Aurelius knew there was only one thing he could do. In a final act of desperation, Aurelius infused the blade with all of his remaining mana, filling it to the brim. As he had hoped, the mana exceeded the sword's capacity, causing a violent explosion of arcane energy and shrapnel.

Aurelius attempted to teleport away, but his mana had completely depleted. He used his arms to shield himself as best as he could, but the blast of arcane energy engulfed him, sending both Aurelius and the Chosen hurtling backward before crashing heavily to the ground.

0