Ch. 26 – Dealing with Your Mother
175 0 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Dealing with Your Mother

 

Claire sat in her office, going through a stack of letters she had received. It was a busy time of year, being only a few weeks away from the winter mid-semester break (a week off at the new year). She was getting many letters from parents regarding their children not responding about visiting for the new year. It's not my fault your child doesn't want to talk to you! They're adults now, too. Although I guess you are paying their tuition... She sighed, now worrying about her own mother. She would be arriving in a day, two at most (assuming her letter was correct) and they didn't have a solid plan yet. Just dodging her won't be possible, especially since she could just go to the Headmaster... and I don't want to cause a scene either.

She set down the letters and looked at the ceiling, trying to think. Maybe I can convince her Damien is a better alternative? House Champagne isn't as rich as House Lumbault, though, and they might not like the fact he has other fiances, either, even if we only talk about Francesca... She tapped her forehead. Maybe we should...no, telling her about Bar's plan would be foolhardy, and potentially expose everything.

Suddenly the door flew open, and Renee slid in, closing the door quickly before sitting across from her.

“Renee?” Claire asked, raising an eyebrow.

Renee smiled, “I was thinking...we should get a home a with a large bath. That way we can all bathe with Bar together.”

Claire's mind took a few moments to adjust to the new topic, then she blushed as she briefly thought about it before sighing. “Renee, I appreciate your dedication, but we have bigger issues right now.”

Renee grabbed her own cheeks, “Imagine, all of us in the bath together with Bar...”

Claire blushed again, but shook her head. “We won't be able to do anything together if my mother blows up our plan.”

Renee nodded. “Can't you just get Bar to fix it? From everything I've been told, it usually seems like just throwing him at the plan works out.”

Claire thought for a moment. “I hate to rely on him too much...”

Renee shook her head. “He's relying on us too. Supporting each other in a relationship is important.”

Claire was taken aback for a moment at the seriousness of the comment from the normally non-serious Renee. “I guess you're right.”

 

Joan, Dolly, Mio, and Becky were down at the tavern, working on putting together new picnic tables for the restaurants. Ander was overseeing them in between carting boards down from his house, but the four of them were competent enough now that he could leave them to their tasks most of the time and they would be fine.

Dolly finished pounding a board for the seat in, before standing up and wiping her forehead. “I hope Bar likes muscled woman, I'm gonna have arms the size of trees by the time this is done.”

Joan giggled, “I'm sure he'll still find you attractive.”

Dolly chuckled back, “Haha, yur right, he's easy to please.”

Becky sighed, “All of you are just so crazy over him. Even my Lady is so infatuated, it's as if she's a different person than she was when we came to the Academy.”

Mio seemed confused, “Isn't she just in love?”

Becky blushed slightly, then shook her head, “That doesn't make it any less confusing.”

Joan replied, “I can't really say, I've known Bar a while, so it's hard for me to put myself in her shoes.”

Dolly smiled, “Bar's just earnest. Well, that and going along with him seems more fun than not.”

Becky seemed taken aback. “So you're just with him on a whim?”

Dolly laughed again, “When you get to my age, making decisions like that isn't really a whim. It's more like you're just waiting for the right opportunity, and you jump on it when you see it.”

This made Becky thoughtful, not replying, and instead going back to hammering her board as her mind churned.

Mio, however, raised an eyebrow. “Stop talking like your old all the time. I hope I look as good as you at thirty.”

Dolly blushed a bit, “To be fair, I feel five years younger when I'm with Bar...”

Becky shook her head, sighing again.

 

Bar and Francesca were sitting across from Gerard at lunch.

“Do you have any plans for the mid-semester break? Visiting Bar's parents again?” Gerard asked.

Francesca shook her head, “No, my parents want us to visit them this time, so we'll be going to the Nantes estate.”

Bar grimaced a bit, causing Gerard to laugh.

“Haha, seems like your boyfriend doesn't like that.”

Francesca blushed slightly at 'boyfriend' but shook her head. “We don't really have a choice.”

Bar sighed, “I know. I just don't look forward to it. I'm always bad talking with nobles. Well, one's older than me, at least.”

Francesca nodded, “I'll do most of the talking. I'm a bit worried though...”

Gerard raised an eyebrow. “What? Think they won't like Bar?”

Francesca shook her head. “Not that exactly. My mother is very good a picking up on social cues. Like if people are faking, if they're hiding something, or if they actually have feelings for someone.”

“I mean, you two seem to actually like each other...”

Bar and Francesca both blushed, “No, that's not it. She might pick up on Bar and...one of the other women.”

“Ooooooh,” Gerard replied. “Just don't bring them.”

Francesca shook her head. “I thought about that, but they might think House Champagne is too poor to afford servants, so we need to bring at least one.”

Bar, seeing Francesca was stressed about it, tried to change the subject. “We still have a bit of time, let's not worry about it right now.”

To his surprise, Francesca nodded. “You're right, we have other things to worry about right now.”

 

Later that day, Belle was humming to herself as she happily stirred some beef stew for dinner. She had to get started on it early since they were feeding up to nine people, depending on who all came.

She had feeling very happy lately. Every day with Bar, Joan, and everyone else was such a vast improvement from her life serving the Peckard's, she couldn't help but feel full of energy and put her whole self into every task.

Thoughts of Bar made her blush a bit. I can't wait until my next night. Bar was basically her knight in shining armor (he had won her in a duel) and she would sometimes get distracted just thinking about him.

Suddenly the door opened, and her knight came walking into the dorm apartment, lugging his bag before setting it on the ground.

“Welcome back!” she said. Running over, she squashed her breasts into his chest with a hug, and leaned up to kiss him.

Bar grabbed her and kissed her back. “Hey Belle.”

Belle blushed, before hugging him tighter and pulling her cheek on him.

“Seeing you so affectionate is really cute Belle, but you're blocking the door,” came a voice from behind him.

Belle blushed and stepped back, and Francesca slipped in.

“Sorry...” Belle said, blushing again.

Francesca giggled, “It's fine, it gave me a good idea,” she said, before hugging and kissing Bar herself, “Welcome back!”

“But you've been with me all day...” Bar said.

Francesca pouted, “Just play along...”

 

A bit later, and everyone else had come back, sitting down and ravenously eating Belle's stew.

“This really is amazing, no wonder you want to open a restaurant,” Renee said, before spooning in another helping.

Belle blushed a bit, “I'm glad you like it.”

As they were eating, Claire looked over at Bar. “Do you think you can win over my mother?”

Bar choked on his stew, “N-no! I'm not seducing your mom!”

Claire blushed, “You idiot, I mean just impressing her.”

Bar hit his chest a couple more times then asked, “What do you mean exactly? Impressing her with what?”

Claire tapped her chin, “Like your...nobleness.”

Bar shook his head, “I'm not even a good noble though.”

Renee jumped in, “I don't believe that's true. I completely understand why you don't want to be a noble anymore, but it's not like you're a bad one. You're very studious, as evidenced by your grades, and you're a good hand at the blade.”

Bar shook his head, “It takes more than that to be a noble...”

Joan jumped in, “You've always been very kind to your servants.”

“That has nothing to do with being a noble, I'm just being a good person...”

Francesca jumped in, “You're a good leader as well. Look how many women you've roped in. You're basically running the equivalent of a noble house yourself.”

Bar blushed more, “Sure, but you all do a lot of the work...”

Claire sighed, “Let's get back to my question...”

Bar nodded. “Okay. Do you have any ideas?”

She nodded, “Yes. I think we just handle this like a marriage interview. We talk to my mom and convince her that me marrying you is the best option.”

“Okay. But...even if we convince her, won't we need to convince your dad, too?” Bar asked.

“Yes, but my mom is most likely the one who set up the marriage, so if she tells my father she found someone better, he will believe her.”

 

After discussing the plan a bit longer, they finished dinner and prepared for bed. That night was being spent with Joan and Francesca.

Francesca watched Joan as she took off her maid outfit, revealing her lacy blue lingerie. “I'm so jealous of you Joan, you look amazing in that.”

Joan blushed, watching as Francesca undressed as well. “Thanks. Bar picked them before we came to the academy.”

Francesca looked at Bar, who was sitting on the bed. “We must go on a date to buy some for myself as well.”

Bar sighed, “You don't need to compete, you look good in that too.”

Francesca blushed but shook her head, causing her drills to sway to and fro. “That's not the point, it means more if you pick them out.”

Joan nodded in agreement.

“Okay, okay, that's fine with me. It's not like I mind watching you try on lingerie,” he said with a smirk.

Joan straddled on top of him, squishing her now-naked breasts into him and making out. “Bar, hold me.”

Bar did as requested, wrapping his arms around Joan for a bit. He then laid her on the bed, kissing her more as he grabbed and squeezed her breasts. He then started licking her nipples as Joan moaned.

“Is this what I look like?” Francesca blushed, standing nearby.

Joan looked over at her, blushing, “Maybe.”

Bar was busy focusing on Joan, lining up his member to slide in.

Joan shivered in pleasure as he did, grabbing his shoulders as he started to pump in and out of her. After a couple minutes, he started felt himself coming, and grabbed onto Joan tightly. Joan spasmed in his arms as he released into her, both breathing heavily until finished.

After holding each other for a bit, Joan gently pushed him off. “It's Fran's turn now.”

Bar looked over at Francesca, who was extremely red in the face. She took a towel and wiped Bar down, before straddling on top of him. Without saying anything, she slid herself onto him (he was already hard again at this point) and started pushing herself up and down.

Bar grabbed her breasts as they jiggled up and down, causing Francesca to smile and blush again. Damien grabbed her hips and helped her go up and down faster, until he felt himself boiling up. Grabbing and pulling her down, he released into her with multiple spurts, as Francesca shivered and fell onto his chest. They gently kissed for a few moments, until Francesca let out a sigh, “I'm already so tired...”

Bar chuckled, giving her a hug. “You don't need to force yourself.”

Francesca nodded, smiling and cuddling next to him.

 

He did it once more with Joan, before the three of them huddled together on the bed.

“See, this isn't so bad, right?” Joan asked.

Bar shrugged, “I was more worried about you all.”

Francesca wrapped an arm around him. “I don't mind. Though I'm glad I can have you to myself during classes.”

Joan giggled, “I might like some alone time as well too, but this is enough for now,” she said, wrapping an arm as well.

 

The next day during classes, Renee came up to Bar as he and the others were about to go to lunch. “Bar, could you come to my office before you head to lunch? I wanted to discuss your last assignment with you.”

Bar gulped. This was the code phrase. He nodded and followed her to her office.

Inside, Claire was already waiting. She jumped up and gave Bar a hug once the door closed.

“Your mom's here?”

Claire nodded. “She's waiting at an inn in town right now, but she sent her servant to come get me earlier. Luckily we're on good terms so he was able to buy time until this evening, but I'll need to go then or else she'll make a scene at the academy.”

Bar nodded. “Okay, let's meet at Dolly's then head there.”

Claire smiled, giving him a kiss then heading out the door.

Bar waited a bit and was about to leave, when Renee grabbed his shoulder. Bar gave her a kiss as well, before heading out to lunch.

 

After school, Bar gave his bag to Francesca, then walked down to the city to meet up with Claire. He passed the other girls returning from Dolly's, awkwardly giving them a small wave as they passed so as to not draw too much attention. He then reached Claire, who was nervously tapping her elbow with her arms crossed.

“Alright, let's do this,” Claire said, as if pumping herself up.

Bar smiled and nodded, not entirely sharing in her enthusiasm. They walked down a few streets, and stopped out front a large, luxury inn.

“Of course my mother is staying in the most expensive inn the academy city has,” Claire sighed.

They walked inside to see a bustling lobby. There were many nobles and servants going every which way. Poor Claire could barely get through, but was standing on her tippy-toes, seeming to be looking for someone.

“My Lady Claire, over here,” a voice half-shouted. It was a tall, older man in a butler outfit, slipping his way over to them.

“Ah, Gildabard, thanks for waiting.”

Gildabard shook his head, “You don't need to thank me, it was on your mother's orders.”

“Well, thanks for delaying her too.”

Gildabard nodded, then looked at Bar. He seemed to be evaluating him, but after a moment he turned around and started walking down the hall, beckoning them to follow. Partway down the hall, he stopped outside a room, and knocked twice.

“Gildabard? Is Claire finally here?” a voice came from within.

“Yes, my lady. There's also...” Gildabard trailed off.

“Also what?” the voice asked. After a moment, the door swung open, and a lady came out. She looked similar to Claire, but taller and bustier (though only compared to Claire, not to someone like Joan or Dolly, and definitely not Renee). This was Lady Savoie, who started to get angry at Claire, but then looked at Bar. She seemed to go from annoyance to interest. “And who are you?” Before Bar could respond, she turned back to Claire, “Why is one of your students here?”

Isn't it obvious!? Your servant seemed to get it right away.

Claire blushed a bit, “Let's just talk inside.”

Lady Savoie seemed more annoyed. “No, why is he here? Gildabard, send him away. I don't know who you are, but this is a private conversation.”

Gildbard bowed, “My lady, I believe this man wishes to court your daughter.”

Lady Savoie blinked a couple times, then looked at Bar, again with interest. “And who are you?”

You already asked me that once!

Claire seemed to be getting angry, and grabbed her mother's arm and pulled her inside.

“Claire! What are you-”

“Mother, just shut up and let me explain.”

Lady Savoie was taken aback for a moment at the response, but then regained her composure and walked over to a couch in the living area of the room.

Bar was impressed at the luxury on display, this inn “room” was actually several rooms, and was probably half again as large as his apartment on the academy campus.

Claire sat down and pulled Bar next to her.

Lady Savoie raised an eyebrow at this, but then asked, “What exactly is going on here? You can't just grab an academy student and pretend your courting to avoid marrying Lord Lumbault.”

Claire shook her head, and grabbed Bar's arm, squishing her chest against it. “Bar and I have been together for months now.”

Bar nodded in agreement.

Lady Savoie looked at him and asked, “How old is Claire?”

“Twenty-four.”

“What is her job?” Lady Savoie asked.

“The Dorm Mistress.”

“What's her favorite food?”

Oh...I don't know what. Maybe it was that fancy restaurant? “Steaks.”

“Wrong, her favorite food is cake.”

Claire blushed, shaking a fist, “You're both wrong, it's Belle's beef and potato stew!”

Lady Savoie continued, “Very well. What is...” she trailed off.

Claire blushed again, this time in anger, “You can't even think of anything else about me!? Some mother you are.”

Lady Savoie blushed, but turned her head in arrogance. “Hmpf, it doesn't matter, I'm not convinced you two are actually together.”

Claire looked up at Bar, then pulled him down to kiss him. Actually, it was to make out with him.

Lady Savoie went red again. “Wha-...how ignoble! Are you some cheap woman now!?”

Claire blushed but smiled proudly. “No, Bar is just a great kisser.”

Lady Savoie got angry, “What-....No, it doesn't matter,” she repeated.

Claire stood up angrily, “You haven't even asked about him yet!”

Lady Savoie was about to get angry, but realized Claire was right. “Fine, who are you?”

Glad he was able to finally answer, he said, “Barrois von Emil Champagne.”

“House Champagne? I don't know much about them, but they're in good standing with the King. If I remember, you're estate isn't that rich, though.”

Bar shrugged, “We do well enough. Money isn't everything, anyway.” Although it is nice when you have it.

Lady Savoie smirked, “Of course someone who doesn't have money would say that.”

Claire replied, “Isn't that why you're trying to marry me off to Lord Lumbault, because you don't have enough either?”

Claire seemed to have hit the nail on the head, and Lady Savoie looked embarrassed again. “So...so what? We're just trying to secure a future for House Savoie.”

Claire shook her head, “I could care less about the future of a House that abandoned me.”

Lady Savoie replied, “What were we supposed to do!? No man wanted you, you'd be rotting at home if father wasn't friends with the headmaster.”

“Grandfather was the only one in the family who did anything for me!”

Lady Savoie angrily replied, “I'll....I'll have you stricken from the family roll! Is that what you want?”

Claire shrugged, “I'd rather be a commoner married to Bar then a noble married to Lord Lumbault.”

Lady Savoie was angry for another moment, then after a moment it seemed as if a facade faded, and she just seemed sad.

It was obvious enough a changed Claire noticed right away. “Mo-mother?” she asked, now looking worried.

Lady Savoie started crying softly.

Gildabard started wiping her tears, “My lady, don't push yourself...”

Lady Savoie motioned that she was fine, then tried to regain her composure. Turning to Bar, she asked, “Do you really care for Claire?”

It took Bar a moment to respond, but nodded. “Of course, Claire is very dear to me.”

Lady Savoie gave a smile for the first time. “What about her do you like?”

Bar thought for a moment, “I like her diligence. Whenever there's a problem, she's always looking for a solution. I also like how cute she is when she randomly gets clingy.”

Lady Savoie giggled, “She did always cling to me when she was younger.”

“Mother!?” Claire said, blushing.

“I also like our late night scheming, whenever we need to make plans for the future,” Bar continued.

Lady Savoie raised an eyebrow. “Late nights?” She leaned forward and whispered, “Are you two trying for children already?”

Claire blushed, “We're waiting until we have a house.”

Lady Savoie nodded.

“Mother...I'm not going to be the first wife either.”

Lady Savoie waved if off. “I figured. A man as good looking as this would probably be able to get two or three.”

Bar blushed, but Claire just nodded in agreement.

 

The three of them continued talking for a while, though it ended up being more Claire and her mother catching up while Bar occasionally answered when asked something.

“Well, when do you plan on getting married? Given her age I'm assuming soon?” Lady Savoie asked.

Claire blushed, “We might need to wait until he graduates.”

Lady Savoie blushed back, “So you're going to have children out of wedlock?”

“We're already committed!” Claire replied back.

Lady Savoie nodded. “Very well. Just know I'll have you hunted down if you get her pregnant then leave her.”

Bar seemed offended, “I wouldn't do that...”

Claire nodded and wrapped her arms around him.

“Well, I guess I'll talk with House Champagne about it.”

Claire shook her head, “No, we're not telling Bar's parents about us.”

Lady Savoie raised an eyebrow. “What do you mean? You're not inviting the groom's parents to the wedding?”

“No, we will talk to them, we just want to keep our relationship secret until he graduates. We only told you because we had no choice.”

Lady Savoie looked at Bar, then giggled, “I guess waiting until you graduate is probably for the best...” she turned to her servant, “Gildabard, start packing, we'll be leaving tomorrow.”

Claire seemed surprised, “You're leaving already?”

Lady Savoie nodded, then walked over and hugged Claire. “I'm sorry...”

Claire teared up a bit, then hugged her mother back. “Mom...”

Bar watched the emotional scene, until they let go of each other, and Claire came over to hug Bar. “Good job.”

Bar chuckled, “I feel like I didn't do much.”

Lady Savoie shook her head, “No, you convinced me Claire will be happy with you. I just...I couldn't live with myself if I tore my child's happiness away.”

 

After saying goodbye, they started walking back towards the academy. Claire jumped up on Bar, hanging off him.

“What are you doing?” Bar chuckled.

“You said you liked this,” Claire responded, kissing his cheek.

“I guess I did...”

5