Ch. 28 – Journey to the Nantes Estate
89 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Journey to the Nantes Estate

 

The trip to visit Francesca's parents was planned for six days. It would take just under two to get there, then they would spend the next two whole days there, and then head back (arriving at the academy a day before classes restarted).

In the morning on the first day, Francesca was reiterating many of the points she had already told him.

“My father will probably say he wants to match swords with you, but really he just wants to clang them together a couple times, he can't actually duel properly.”

Bar nodded, having heard this before.

“And my mother may get suspicious of our relationship, so don't say more than necessary. I'll try and do most of the talking.”

Bar nodded again.

Francesca sighed. “I really hope they don't make too big a deal of anything. It would be nice if it was like the visit to your parents, where we just have dinner and maybe walk the gardens with them, and that's it.”

 

They continued talking for a while, until trailing off and settling into traveling. A few hours passed, and around midday they stopped.

Bar went to get out, but Francesca stopped him. “Just wait.”

After a few minutes, the door opened and the butler stood there holding a tray with tea and a couple rolls on it. Becky stood up and grabbed it, then the butler closed the door. Becky held the tray in one hand, and pulled down a table from the opposite side into the middle. She sat the tray down, at which point Bar noticed there was only two cups.

Becky poured some tea from the pot, and slid it over to Francesca, before doing the same for Bar.

“Um...what about you and Mio?” Bar asked.

Becky sighed, “This is the normal way to treat servants. We'll be expected to get something to drink when we aren't serving or accompanying you.”

Bar shook his head. “Here,” he slid over to Mio.

Mio blushed slightly, “It's okay.”

Bar insisted, “Just take a sip, at least.”

Mio looked at the other two. Francesca smiled and nodded, while Becky had no reaction. She grabbed the cup and sipped some.

Bar grabbed the cup and took a drink as well, the tea was hot but not steaming, and tasted faintly of citrus. After this he grabbed a roll, tearing it in half, and giving one half to Mio.

Francesca followed Bar's lead, though Becky took it only after Francesca ordered her too.

After they finished, Becky briefly left to return the tray. While she was out, Francesca said, “Remember, my family treats servants normally. Well, maybe slightly better than normal, but not how you do. Or even your family for that matter.”

Bar nodded, “I know, I know...”

Becky returned after a minute, and soon the carriage kept going.

 

That night, they stopped in a small town that Bar didn't recognize. The inn they were staying at was fairly nice, obviously catering more towards noble clientele then commoner.

“Is your family able to afford this?” Bar whispered as they got out.

Francesca blushed slightly, “Yes. We don't have Peckard money, but House Nantes is well-to-do.”

They went inside, and instead of a normal tavern-area, it looked more like the fancy restaurant from the academy city. There was also a separate area for servants to eat, so Bar and Francesca were alone for dinner.

Francesca smiled, “This is basically a date, right?”

Bar smiled back, “And your parents are paying for it.”

Francesca giggled, then sighed. “I wish I could come to your room tonight...”

Bar shrugged, “I wouldn't mind, but wouldn't your servant tell on us?”

Francesca nodded. “Probably. My parents expect me to be chaste until marriage, so there isn't much choice.”

 

Mio was down in the servant eating area with Becky and the carriage driver.

“How has the estate been, Benjamin?” Becky asked, with the tone of someone making small talk with an acquaintance she hadn't seen in a while.

Benjamin shrugged, “Same as always. How has academy been?”

Becky gave a slight click of the tongue, then after a few moments, replied, “Loads of new experiences.”

Benjamin chuckled, “Haha, I'm sure. I remember when I was assigned there with Fran's older brother. Of course, he resented his parents for sending me instead of a cute maid.”

Becky sighed, then acted like she was going to say something, but held her tongue.

Benjamin took a bite of bread, then asked Mio, “Name?”

“Mio,” Mio replied, with a small head nod.

Benjamin acted like he was inspecting her. “You're pretty cute. Does Master Bar give you lots of 'attention'?” he asked with emphasis.

Mio wasn't sure what to say, but then looked at Becky, who was barely but quickly shaking her head. Mio didn't really understand, though. “Um, he-”

Becky said, “Mio is a new maid for Master Bar. I don't think he's taken her to bed yet,” Becky emphasized.

Mio blushed slightly but now understood, nodding, “No, I haven't had sex with Bar.”

Benjamin chuckled, “Haha, I'm surprised.”

Mio shrugged, “Master Bar is very busy.”

Becky inquired, “What about you, Benjamin? Does Lady Nantes still pull you to her bedroom when the Lord is out of town?”

Benjamin blushed slightly, “No comment.”

Mio raised an eyebrow, but Becky was focused on eating her food. Did she try to end the topic on purpose? I feel like I could learn a lot from her.

The three of them ate for a bit longer, then Benjamin went to get their keys. Once obtained, they went to get the others.

 

Bar felt a little awkward with Mio in the room. “Do you want to bathe first?” he asked. Like their dorm apartment, the tub was in a separate bathroom, so some awkwardness could be avoided.

Mio shrugged, “Is it okay for a servant to bathe?”

Bar shrugged back, “Don't see why not. Plus, if we're going that far, I could just order you to bathe.”

Mio was taken aback for a moment, then giggled and did a rough curtsy, “As Master commands.”

Bar sighed and sat down on the bed, looking around, trying to divert his mind to different things. This is definitely one of the nicest rooms in the inn. It was nicer than his room at the Champagne estate, let alone the dorm. I guess House Nantes must have a good impression of me so far.

 

Mio soaked in the bath. While she was trying to relax, her mind was racing. Now what? Does he expect me to have sex with him? Does he want to sleep separately? Do I want to have sex with him? Hmm...I don't know. I think I might like him, but I feel like I've enjoyed not having sex for a while. Or maybe I just feel glad I haven't had too. I don't know anymore...

Slamming her fists in the water in frustration, she splashed a bit of water over.

“Are...are you okay?” she heard Bar shout from the main room.

Mio blushed, “Yes, sorry, I'll get out soon.” She quickly got out and dried off, before putting on her pajamas, a tight-fitting night robe. It wasn't supposed to be sexy per-say, but it did fit tightly to her perky breasts. She thought they had gotten a bit larger recently since she'd gained weight (going from skin and bones to almost normal for her height). Going by averages, he definitely likes larger ones, she thought, then shook her head. What am I even thinking...

She went out to the main room, and saw Bar was digging around in his chest, presumably for pajamas. For whatever reason, she felt like teasing, “Not used to wearing pajamas?”

Bar looked around at her, then blushed, “Uh, err...yeah...”

“They should be at the bottom right, I helped Joan pack the chest,” Mio said, before going over and sitting on the bed.

Bar dug them up, then started towards the bath, but did a double-take seeing Mio. “Um...are you...”

Mio wasn't sure what he meant, but blushed from the attention. “Wha-what?”

Bar seemed like he was struggling with what to say for a bit, then asked, “Are you wanting to sleep on that bed?”

Mio looked down at it, then looked around the room, realizing there was a separate servant bed. “Ah, sorry...”

Bar tried to apologize. “No, I just wasn't sure...” he started, then smiled, “Whatever you want is fine.”

Mio blushed slightly, watching him walk into the bathroom and close the door. What was that supposed to mean!? Shouldn't I be sleeping on the servant bed? Or is he saying it's okay to sleep with him? Or is he saying we can have sex if I want? Or does he want to? Getting frustrated again, she slammed the bed, messing up the covers. She then fell back onto it, laying down and staring at the ceiling, trying to figure out her feelings quickly.

 

A few minutes later, Bar had finished his bath and was putting his pajamas on. He was a little worried about Mio, since she seemed to be giving him some weird mixed signals on what she wanted. He thought maybe she was interested in him (actually, maybe could be an understatement, you don't normally kiss people on the lips if you aren't interested), but sometimes she seemed more aloof, and everything in between. Sighing, he opened the door, to see Mio was in the exact same spot, but now laying on the bed. Does she...

Hearing the door open, Mio sat up quickly and asked, “Do you want to have sex with me?”

Bar blinked once, then carefully turned and closed the bathroom door. Slowly turning back around, giving himself some extra seconds to think, he replied, “Do you mean now, or...just in general?”

Mio wasn't expecting a question back. Instead of trying to understand, she just replied, “Both.”

Put on the spot, Bar leaned back against the door. “Well, I was hoping maybe we could eventually, especially after that time you kissed me, I thought you were interested, at least. Right now, well, that's up to you.”

Mio took a moment to comprehend, then blushed, “Why is up to me?”

“I don't want to force you into anything. Plus, I'm not going to die if I don't have sex for a few days.”

Mio thought about his response, then giggled, “Are you sure?”

Bar blushed, “Yes, I'll be fine.”

Mio breathed a heavy sigh. “I don't know, I'm so confused inside.”

Bar thought for a moment, then carefully sat down next to her, before placing an arm around her carefully. “Um... I know it might be awkward, but you can talk to me if you like.”

Mio thought for a moment, then explained her internal confusions she'd been having about him, herself, and her situation. She sobbed softly as she talked about her frustrations, and Bar pulled her a bit tighter to him, getting his pajamas slightly wet.

 

After she finished, Bar said, “Sorry, I didn't realize you were going through all that.”

Mio giggled, wiping her eyes, “You have your own issues to worry about.”

Bar shook his head, “No, you're part of the family too, we can't just let you suffer in silence.”

Mio smiled, “You're too nice Bar. I probably will fall for you.”

Bar blushed, then to steer the conversation, asked, “What do you want to do?”

Mio thought for a moment, then a few more moments. “No one ever asked me that before.”

Bar urged her on, “Well, I am now. Just think about what you want.”

Mio nodded. After a few moments, she asked, “Can I have some time?”

Bar chuckled, “Yeah, of course. I thought you might have something, but you can take some time.”

Mio nodded, then laid on the bed. “For now...can you just hug me?”

Bar nodded, laying down and wrapping an arm around her.

Mio blushed for a moment, but then seemed to get comfortable, and she quickly fell asleep.

Hopefully I can give her what she wants...

 

In the morning, Becky looked suspiciously at Mio, then pulled her aside. “Something seems off. Did Bar lay his hands on you last night?”

Mio blushed, “No. Well, yes, he did, but we didn't have sex, if that's what you mean.”

Becky raised an eyebrow in suspicion. “What...did he just hug you?”

Mio blushed deeper, “Yes.”

Becky blinked twice, then shook her head. “Please, just keep it together the rest of the trip. We still have five days to go.”

 

The second day of travel went the same as the first, though Francesca seemed to be tensing up more and more as they got closer to her family's estate.

“My Lady, you will break your nails if you dig them into the seat,” Becky told her.

Francesca blushed, and took her hands off the seat and into her lap, grabbing them nervously.

Bar reached over and put a hand on her leg, trying to reassure her.

Francesca just seemed to blush more.

 

Eventually in the early evening, Bar could see the Nantes estate come into sight. They had a large manor, probably twice the size of House Champagnes, and it took them a while just to get through the lands surrounding it.

“We'll be there soon,” the Benjamin shouted back.

Bar grabbed the sword his parents had given him, strapping it on. Francesca seemed to regulating her breathing, before looking at Bar, “Remember, let me do most of the talking.”

Bar nodded. “I don't want to talk anyway.”

After a few more moments, the carriage stopped and the door slid open.

Outside were Benjamin, a couple maids, and a noble lady in a frilly dress. In any circumstance, he would have known this was Francesca's mother. She looked exactly like an older version of her, down to the golden hair done up in drills and the same medium-sized bust. Even their heights were almost identical.

“Mother!” Francesca said, walking over to hug her.

Lady Nantes smiled, giving a slight hug back, but looking at Bar. “Fran, introduce me.”

Francesca smiled, and looked over, “Mother, this is Bar. Bar, my mother.”

Bar grabbed her hand and did a bow, “You look lovely, Lady Nantes.”

Lady Nantes smiled, “I see you've been raised well. Your mother was right.”

Bar felt a cold sweat coming on. How much have they been talking...?

Lady Nantes turned, “Come, dinner is almost ready.”

Bar breathed a sigh of relief, then followed after. He looked back, and Mio was with Becky, seeming to be introduced to the other maids. Hopefully she'll be alright.

4