Ch. 29 – Avoiding Suspicion
108 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Avoiding Suspicion

 

Going inside the Nantes manor, they were immediately brought to a large dining hall where food was already starting to be brought out.

“Come, come, sit down,” Lady Nantes said with another smile, beckoning them to the long table.

Francesca lightly motioned for him to sit next to her, so he followed and sat down.

Lady Nantes seemed to watch this with great intereste then sat down across from Bar. “So, Bar, how was your trip?”

Bar tried to push out the immediate thoughts of Mio in her pajamas and laying in his arm from last night, then smiled and nodded, “It was a fine trip. The room you got us was very nice.”

Francesca did an almost imperceptible wince, while Lady Nantes raised her eyebrow at him. “Us?”

Bar tried to not blush and recover, “Yes. I assume Fran's was just as nice as mine.”

Lady Nantes looked at Francesca, then smiled again, “Of course. I see you are already calling her 'Fran'.
Bar nodded again, “She insisted once we were...more formally together.”

Lady Nantes nodded back. She then grabbed a newly-filled wine goblet and raised, “Well, cheers to a fruitful relationship,” she said, before taking a long drink.

What do you mean 'fruitful', although Bar nodded, grabbing his own wine goblet and taking a sip.

 

They then ate for a bit, with Lady Nantes mostly asking questions to Francesca about her schoolwork.

“I'm impressed you managed to get eighth in the class rankings. You must be studying a lot,” Lady Nantes suggested, before holding up a piece of bread so a servant could slather some butter on it.

Bar blinked once at this display, something he'd never seen even his own parents do, before deciding to just eat his bread with no butter.

Francesca dabbed her mouth, then nodded. “Bar helps me study a few times a week, more before exams.”

Lady Nantes smiled, then motioned for more food to be brought out.

 

They continued eating, until eventually Lady Nantes set down her cloth napkin, and went to leave. “I'll be right back, the servants are preparing dessert right now.”

Bar was about to decline, but Francesca grabbed his leg under the table as Lady Nantes left. She let out a sigh of relief once she was gone.

“Did I do okay?” Bar whispered. There was still several servants in the room, but they weren't super close.

Francesca nodded, “Yes, just be careful when mentioning anything from the academy. You don't want to unintentionally give away anything.”

Bar nodded, then noticed Becky and Mio in the corner of the room. He wasn't sure when they had arrived, but they seemed to be fine. Mio actually seemed like she was struggling to stay awake, and Becky poked her elbow into Mio's side, startling her.

Bar suppressed a laugh as Lady Nantes returned.

“Something wrong?” she asked.

Bar quickly shook his head. “No, I was just...excited for dessert.”

Lady Nantes smiled, then snapped, “Hurry up with dessert!”

Bar winced a bit. Sorry, House Nantes servants...

In a few moments, some chocolate pudding was brought out. Bar waited until Lady Nantes was digging in, and then tasted it. It was fairly good, although he would rate it below Belle's pudding.

After they finished, some coffee was brought out, and Lady Nantes started, “I apologize my husband wasn't here to greet you. He should be back tomorrow, though.”

Bar smiled, “I look forward to meeting him.”

Lady Nantes smiled, then got up to leave. “It's almost bed time, but I look forward to talking with you more in the morning.” Once she left, the servants started quickly cleaning the table of the dishes and uneaten food, while Becky and Mio came over to them.

“My Lady, my Lord, both your quarters are ready,” she said and bowed.

Mio watched Becky then also bowed awkwardly after.

Bar and Francesca followed after the other two (Mio also seemed to be following Becky) until they reached a door. Becky looked both ways, then said quietly, “We're alone now Fran.”

Francesca hugged Bar, giving him a kiss. “Good night.”

Bar hugged her back, “Good night.”

After a few moments, Francesca went back into 'noble-mode'.

Becky looked at Mio. “Can you get back to the servant's quarters by yourself?”

Mio nodded, “I think so.”

Becky nodded. “Good. As long as your back before midnight there shouldn't be any problems.”

Bar and Mio then went into the room. It was, again, a very fancy room. He could see from the open bathroom door there was already a hot bath drawn, and someone had dug his pajamas out and put them on the bed already. Glad I don't have to go digging for them...

Mio bowed, “Do you need anything, Master?”

Bar chuckled softly, “You don't need to act like that when it's just us.”

Mio blushed and shook her head, “I'm trying to practice. I'm supposed to be a good maid for the next two days, I can't be slipping up.”

Bar, trying to reassure her, put a hand on her shoulder and gave a thumbs up, “You're doing great so far.”

Mio blushed more and smiled, “Thanks.” She looked over to the tub, “Do you need me to wash you?”

Bar blushed and shook his head. “I can wash myself. You can go if you want.”

Mio shook her head. “Becky said to 'take care of you' until you were asleep.”

Does she mean like 'have sex' or-...

Mio voiced what he was thinking, “I don't know if she meant have sex, or just literally take care of whatever you need, but I don't want to upset her.”

Bar shook his head, “You don't have too.”

Mio smiled, “I don't mind, I'll wash you. Just think of it as thanks for keeping me company last night.”

Bar sighed but nodded. He felt a bit awkward undressing in front of Mio, but she seemed fairly unphased, even when he took his undergarment off. After he slipped into the tub, Mio came over and grabbed the soap, scrubbing his back.

“Wow, you're really muscular,” she commented.

Bar grinned awkwardly, “Yeah, all that sword swinging builds them up.”

“Mhm,” she said. She then started scrubbing his shoulders and arms, before asking, “Does Master want me to scrub the front, too?”

Bar shook his head, “That's fine,” he replied, taking the soap.

Mio smiled, then grabbed a towel. Once he finished, she went over and wrapped him in it.

“Thanks,” came a muffled voice from inside the towel. Bar dried himself off, before going over and putting his pajamas on. He sat down on his bed, and Mio came over.

“Do you need anything else, Master?” she asked.

Bar shook his head. “I'm fine. How are you, though?”

Mio blushed slightly, then asked, “Could I ask for a hug again?”

Bar nodded, and held out his arms, “Of course.”

Mio smiled and walked over. However, instead of hugging him, she sat down on his lap.

Bar decided to go along with it, wrapping his arms around her midsection and squeezing her tightly.

Mio giggled, “Am I too big to sit on you?”

Bar chuckled, “You're too light, if anything.”

Mio went red, “I'm trying to put on more weight. It's hard without Belle's cooking every night.”

Bar felt an overwhelming urge to pat her head, so he did.

Mio giggled, “Is that all your going to do to me?”

Bar blushed, “I told you, I don't want to make you uncomfortable.”

Mio nodded, then stood up. “Can I have a good night kiss, then?”

Bar stood up, wrapping his arms around her and kissing her just as he had Francesca earlier.

Mio blushed, “One more.” She leaned back in for another, then walked towards the door.

“Mio...are you alright?” Bar said, making sure.

Mio smiled, “Yes, I'm feeling pretty good, actually. I just need sort out my feelings more.”

Bar nodded, “You can always talk to me about it, if you need too.”

Mio blushed, “You're what I need to sort out, though,” she said, before closing the door.

Bar sighed and sat back down on the bed. I wish I could just say 'Of course I want you as a wife too' but I feel like its better she decided things for herself.

 

In the morning, Bar was awoken by a knock at the door. While Bar was expecting to see Mio when he went to open it, instead Becky was there. “Do you need help dressing, Master?”

Bar raised an eyebrow, “No, I'm fine.”

However, Becky acted as if he accepted, pushing him aside so she could get in. After he closed the door, Becky walked over to the bed, then asked, “Nothing happened last night? I checked on Francesca multiple times, but I don't think she left her room.”

“Why don't you just ask her?” Bar asked.

Becky shook her head, “She would say no even if she had.” Bar shrugged and nodded in agreement, so Becky sighed, then walked over to Bar and started yanking off his pajamas. “Is Mio enough to satiate you?”

“No-..., I mean, er...Mio and I didn't do anything like that.”

After his shirt was taken off, he saw Becky had a unbelieving look on her face. “Really? Mio said the same thing, but she looked embarrassed.”

Bar shook his head, “Please don't be too hard on Mio, she's... she's doing her best.”

Becky seemed a bit taken aback, then coughed slightly. “Very well, I will keep that in mind. I also came to give you a warning. Lord Nantes will be back today. He may not be as amenable as Lady Nantes in accepting you, so you will need to impress him.”

“Why did he allow us to enter a courtship in the first place then?” Bar asked, confused.

“Lady Nantes probably just convinced him, but most likely he is still having second thoughts, or at the least is holding back his veto until he can evaluate you. And don't take Lady Nantes lightly either, though, she may still change her mind.”

Bar nodded as Becky buttoned his shirt. “Thanks.”

Becky shook her head, “Don't thank your servants for doing their job. At least not while you're here,” she added. She then leaned up to Bar's face, causing Bar to be taken aback and blush slightly. “Becky?”

Becky looked him over, then took out a cloth and brusquely wiped his face. After a few moments, she nodded as if she had done a good job, “There.”

After that, he followed her out and back to the dining hall. The others were already there, Francesca smiling and nodding when he entered.

Sitting across from her and next to Lady Nantes was a man, who he presumed was Lord Nantes. “Good to meet you.”

Lord Nantes didn't smile, or even look at him, just nodded, while reading a newspaper. “I presume the accommodations were adequate.”

Bar nodded as he sat down, “Yes, the room was...comfortable.”

Lord Nantes glanced at him now, seeming to look him over. His gaze seemed to linger on the sword at his hip, then he went back to his paper. “Eat up.”

Bar let out an internal sigh of relief. I feel like I passed the first test with him, right?

 

They ate a breakfast of eggs and sausage, while Lady Nantes chatted idly with Francesca. Bar followed Lord Nantes lead and didn't talk much, just eating and drinking the coffee provided.

After they finished, Lady Nantes stood up. “We should go for a walk in the gardens.”

Just like my mom!? Bar thought.

Lord Nantes folded his paper, “I actually was hoping I could speak with Mister Bar for a bit.”

Lady Nantes looked at him, exasperated, “You just want to cross swords with him.”

A smile came to Lord Nantes's lips, “Of course. He can't walk in here with a sword that fancy and not expect it. He must be confident in his skills.”

I know Fran warned me, but you make it sound like I wanted to goad you into a duel!

Francesca seemed to tense up a bit, but Bar just smiled at her, “I don't mind.” She blushed slightly and nodded, which only her mother seemed to notice, looking interested at the reaction. Lord Nantes was already standing up, “Benjamin, grab me my sword.”

 

A few minutes later, and he was standing in a courtyard across from Lord Nantes. Benjamin was holding up a sheathed sword, much more ornate and gaudy then his.

Lord Nantes grabbed it, unsheathing the sword, and placed the sheathe back. He swung it around a few times.

Bar was a bit concerned. Francesca said he wasn't good, but can he duel at all!? His motions look amateurish. He unsheathed his own sword anyway though. Looking around, he saw Mio was standing in the hallway leading to the courtyard. Walking over he handed it to her, causing her to blush slightly, although she recovered and bowed.

As Bar walked back over, Lord Nantes seemed to be preparing. “Are you ready?”

Bar swung his shoulders around, whipping the sword. While he had practiced with it a bit, this was his first time using it in a duel. Obviously, it was slightly dangerous swinging real swords around in what was ostensibly a 'practice' duel, but this wasn't uncommon for friendly exhibitions, either.

Lord Nantes took Bar's non-response as acceptance, and dashed towards him.

Bar...parried him easily.

Lord Nantes smiled, “I might be a bit rusty.” He then kept swinging hard at Bar. While Lord Nantes wasn't great with movements, he was fairly large, and had power behind his swings.

Bar was a bit taken aback. This isn't just crossing swords, those would hurt me if I didn't parry properly! Bar decided to go on the offensive a bit, pushing back and taking a step forward.

This seemed to completely throw off Lord Nantes, who back-stepped immediately, barely blocking despite Bar not putting his full force behind each blow. If I didn't hold back, I'd accidentally hurt him! Deciding he needed to end it quickly, he tried to perform a side-swing to knock the sword out of Lord Nantes's hand.

As he struck, it hit the sword and...cleaved it in two, with the top half whirling around until it stuck into the ground.

Lord Nantes looked at it for a moment, then went red in anger. “Bastard!”

Bar instantly apologized, “Sorry...”

Lord Nantes turned to him, “Not you, that blacksmith! He told me this was a sword I could pass down for generations, but it fell apart the first time I used it!”

Bar let out a sigh of relief, before turning to Mio to go get his sheathe.

Behind him, he heard, “Benjamin, go get my money back from that blacksmith and find one who can make a good one. Actually, send a letter to Lord Champagne and see if he can get a letter of recommendation for whoever made their son's.”

Mio giggled slightly as she gave the sheathe back. “Good job. Your sword skills are impressive.”

Bar smiled sheepishly, before turning back to Lord Nantes.

Lord Nantes wrapped an arm around his shoulders, “Come, have a drink with me!”

Bar blinked twice and let himself get pulled along by Lord Nantes.

 

The duel seemed to have won over Lord Nantes, as he took him to his study and broke out some strong liquor. He bade Bar to sit down, and started pouring them each a glass, “Here, take a drink.”

Bar nodded, taking a sip of the strong drink. He didn't have much of a liking for it, but figured he should play along and keep Lord Nantes happy.

After taking a long sip himself, Lord Nantes poured some more. “You know, I was hoping my Fran would be able to win over that Coronet lad, but it seems like you're a good find too, even if your family isn't as prestigious. No offense to your House or parents, of course,” he said, before taking another drink.

Since Bar actually wasn't offended, he just shook his head. “Of course.”

Lord Nantes sat down, “So, are you and Fran getting along well? She seems smitten with you, if my wife is to be believed.”

Bar nodded, “Yes, we're getting along well.”

Lord Nantes smiled, “Do you want to marry her?”

Bar blushed slightly, “If things keep going well, I would like to.”

Lord Nantes laughed heartily, “Haha, of course. I mean, she is a catch, of course. Easily one of the most beautiful young women in the Kingdom.”

Bar nodded, since he was in agreement.

Lord Nantes took another drink, before pouring himself some more. Then, seeing Bar wasn't drinking, he poured more into his as well, “Drink up. Men should talk over drink.”

Bar took another swig, feeling the burning sensation as it went down his throat.

 

Lord Nantes proceeded to talk to Bar for a couple hours. Bar mostly just nodded as Lord Nantes talked, about politics, the King, and other nobles. Some if it was a bit...risque.

“That Lady Alinor...my wife is pretty, but if I could have a taste of her...”

Bar wasn't sure how to respond, just taking another sip.

Lord Nantes seemed to get a mischievous grin. “Say, do you like my maids?”

Bar nodded, wondering if this was going where he thought it was going. “Yes, you have quite a few pretty ones.”

Lord Nantes nodded in agreement. “Do you want one to keep you company tonight?”

Bar blushed. I thought Fran said they were against that type of thing! Bar, trying to buy time to think, replied, “I'm...surprised you would offer that to me.”

Lord Nantes laughed again, “Haha, my wife hates it, but she barely wants to sleep with me, and what am I supposed to do then? I'm pretty sure she is sleeping with one of my butlers when I'm not around, but...” he trailed off.

Why is he telling me all this!? Is he the kind of drunk that just spills everything?

Bar, trying to control the conversation, shook his head. “I appreciate the offer, but I'll be fine.”

Lord Nantes seemed offended. “Really? You can have any of them. Well, except Becky, Fran made me promise to leave her alone since she's her personal maid.”

Bar shook his head, “No, really, I-”

Lord Nantes had a realization, “Ah, you just want your own maid you brought, is that it? Well, I can understand wanting that familiar comfort. She's quite pretty, if a bit thin for my taste.”

Deciding this was his out, Bar nodded, “I'm glad you understand.”

Lord Nantes smiled, “Of course, of course,” he replied, before pouring himself some more drink.

 

After another hour of random gossip, where Lord Nantes started to slur his speech more and more, there came a knock at the door.

After a moment, it opened, and Benjamin and Mio were outside. “My Lord, Master Bar, lunch will be ready soon.”

Lord Nantes seemed to be eyeing Mio, “I take back what I said, she's more than pretty.”

Mio seemed confused, while Benjamin sighed. “My Lord, have you been drinking?”

“Of course! I had to get to know my future son-in-law!” he said happily. “I'm gonna go lie for a nap, you can go eat,” he said to Bar.

 

Bar followed Mio to the dining hall (as Benjamin was taking Lord Nantes to his chambers). “Are you okay?” Bar whispered.

Mio nodded, “Yes, I'm fine. I've finally figured out the layout, I think.”

They came to the dining hall, and Lady Nantes seemed confused. “Where is my husband?”

“Ah, he said he was going to take a nap.”

Lady Nantes seemed to get upset, “Was he drinking?”

Bar wasn't sure what to say, so just replied, “We had a drink, yes.”

She got even angrier, and stormed off.

Francesca sighed as Bar sat down. “Father likes to drink, especially when he's happy. I guess things went well with him?”

Bar recounted most of what had transpired that morning.

Francesca nodded. “That went better than expected, my father must really be impressed with you. It's a bit embarrassing offering a maid to you...I'm surprised you didn't accept, though. I know you like maids,” she said, a bit teasingly.

Bar blushed, “It didn't feel right.”

Francesca smiled, “Well, it's fine either way. It's not like I have any problems sharing...although I would like a turn myself soon,” she murmured with a blush.

 

After they ate, without seeing Lord or Lady Nantes, they decided to go outside for the afternoon. The Nantes estate had a small pond replete with fish, and Francesca took delight in throwing food and watching them come to the surface and eat.

Bar watched in awe at the figure Francesca looked while joyously feeding them. She really is a proper noble lady. “Are you really okay with someone like me?”

Francesca blushed and smiled, “What are you asking me that for now? Of course I am.”

Bar shrugged, “You just seem like too proper of a noble lady for me.”

Francesca giggled, “I don't think you ever really disliked noble ladies, I think you just didn't like the ones your mom thought you would like. Well, before me at least.”

Bar nodded. She might be right, but I still think most noblewomen just aren't compatible with me. Fran seems like an exception when you compare her to someone like Alice or even Carlotta. And Claire and Renee...don't really act like noblewomen except when working.

Francesca giggled again, seeing Bar's face. She handed him the fish food, “Do you want to try?”

Taking it, Bar flung the food far out into the lake, causing the fish to swim further away.

Francesca giggled, “You're supposed to do it close up, or you can't see them...” Francesca pointed.

Bar threw some closer up, and they came swimming back.

Francesca smiled again, “I'm hoping we can get a house with a pond, eventually.”

Bar smiled, “I'm sure that should be possible.”

“You two seem to be getting along well,” they heard from behind them.

Bar awkwardly stood up, realizing that he and Francesca had been kneeling down next to each other looking at the fish.

Francesca smiled at her mother, “Yes, I was showing him the fish.”

Lady Nantes looked between them, then addressed Bar, “I'm sorry about my husband, he is an idiot when he starts drinking.”

Bar held up his hands, “It's okay, he just seemed to enjoy our duel.”

Lady Nantes seemed to think for a moment, then smiled, “Come on, lets show you the rest of the estate.”

 

Bar followed as she walked around the outside, pointing out different rare trees and plants they had, along with a small dog that kept barking at them as they walked by.

“She's a purebred, but she doesn't ever shut up,” Lady Nantes sighed.

Bar felt a big bad for the dog, but it stopped after a butler threw it a treat.

They then walked inside, and she started pointing out their fancy paintings and portraits of their prestigious lineage.

Bar could barely keep himself paying attention, bored as he was.

She then showed them their library, which was probably three times the size of the one at the Champagne manor.

After that, they were taken to their large bath, where several maids were scrubbing. “We have one of the largest in the kingdom. Would you like to try it tonight?” she asked.

Bar shook his head, “That's okay, the one in my room is fine.”

Lady Nantes seemed a bit upset. “Really? You won't get many chances to enjoy this kind of luxury.”

He noticed Francesca dart her eyes at him. “That's a good point, I'll give it a try, then.”

Lady Nantes smiled, “Good, you'll have to tell me how you liked it tomorrow.”

 

They walked for a bit longer, until they had completed the entire tour.

“Dinner should be ready for an hour, if you two would like to spend time talking again. I'm going to see what my husband is up to...” she said, a hint of menace in her voice.

They nodded, and Becky took them to a small study. “We should be safe here if you need to discuss anything important.”

Francesca let out a sigh. “I don't know why she thought you would be interested in that.”

Becky replied, “I'm sure Lady Nantes was merely showing off the family's wealth and prestige.”

Francesca nodded, “You're probably right.” She turned to Bar, “Sorry about all this...”

Bar shook his head, “You're fine. It's not like I'm upset, even if that was boring. And your father...well, I got along with him well enough.”

Francesca nodded, “I don't how you did it, but if father already accepts you, then we're halfway there.”

They chatted for a bit about what the others might be doing, then headed to dinner.

 

Both Lord and Lady Nantes were there this time, Lord Nantes looking a bit sleepy.

“Ah, good to see you again,” he said, his voice sounding a bit pained.

There wasn't much talking as the food was brought out.

Bar just ate and watched nervously as there seemed to be some tension in the air, particularly between Francesca's parents.

Francesca also seemed to think silence was the best option.

After they finished eating, Lord Nantes stood up, nodded his head, and left.

Lady Nantes seemed a bit perturbed, but didn't say anything. She motioned to a servant, who brought over a plate of cookies.

“I hope you like them,” Lady Nantes said, sounding a bit exasperated.

“Yes, they're quite good,” Bar said as he chomped on one.

Lady Nantes nodded.

Once the cookies were gone, she got up and left. “I'm turning in early, I hope we can talk more in the morning,” she said to Bar.

Bar nodded back.

 

After that, he and Francesca split up, since Bar was going to the bath.

“I'm going to try and sneak over,” she whispered.

Bar shook his head, “I thought we weren't risking it.”

Francesca blushed, “Sorry, you're right...” She gave him a hug, despite other servants being around, and then ran off, with a sighing Becky following her.

Mio took him to the large bath, and then waited while he got in to soak.

“Do you need me to wash you again?” she asked.

Bar shook his head, “No, I'm just going to soak a bit then leave,” he said. I guess things are going well, but I still don't know about her mother. Lady Nantes is hard to get a read on. He also seemed to think there was some animosity between her parents. Well, Lord Nantes had basically said as much, and they both seemed to be sleeping with servants more than each other.

Sighing, he soaked a few more minutes then got out and dried himself off, before following Mio to his room.

Mio bowed, “Good night, Master.”

“You don't want to stay at all?” Bar asked.

Mio shook her head, but smiled, “Sorry, I'm actually pretty tired after working and walking all day,” she blushed.

Bar looked around to confirm the hallway was empty, then gave her a hug, which Mio seemed to enjoy. She then kissed his cheek and walked off.

Bar blushed a bit at the unexpected kiss, but then went into his bedroom.

Feeling pretty good, he laid on the bed. I'm feeling pretty tired too, honestly..

4