Chapter 65 – Catgirl and the catgirl inside her
602 3 9
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

You’ve won, you saved Nightingale. Now, she lies peacefully in your arms. All her injuries have healed. Her regeneration ability is quite amazing.

You then carry her through the hauntingly silent woods. The leaves rustle and the tree sways under the pale moonlight. Before long, the familiar house by the tranquil Merton Great Lake comes into view. Though it's merely an abandoned structure, to you, it has become a repository of shared memories from recent days.

Gently, you lay Nightingale down onto the slightly askew bed, taking a moment to gaze upon her. It’s so quiet here. The battle just moments ago already seems like distant memories. The ambient moonlight streaming through the window bathes her in a silvery glow, accentuating the soft curve of her cheek and the gentle rise and fall of her chest. Her breathing is much more stable now, her heart rate steady. Her entire body is relaxed. The tension is gone, replaced by a delicate calmness, as if she’s traversing meadows in her dreams. 

She’s so beautiful. 

A little flutter in your heart prompts you to gently rearrange her tousled hair, and you can't resist stealing a swift peck on her forehead.

"Sweet dreams, Nightingale, nya...”

And now, it’s your turn to rest.

After that battle, your body is literally screaming right now. Every muscle aches, every ounce of energy and mana feels utterly drained. Slowly, you lower yourself onto the bed beside Nightingale, the aged mattress creaks under your weight.

You close your eyes.

But before you go into a deep sleep, there’s something you need to do first.

It’s to meet Asteria.


Once more, you find yourself in the familiar expanse of your inner world. On the mountain top, you are surrounded by a vast, open sky painted with a myriad of twinkling stars. The shimmering northern lights dance above, their colors weaving ethereal tales. No matter how often you visit this sanctum, its grandeur never ceases to make you awe.

There, amidst this celestial ballet, is Asteria, her presence almost blending with the beauty around her. You approach her. The catgirl is meditating, legs crossed, completely still. This is the first time you see her doing this.

You don’t want to disrupt her, but Asteria already senses your presence and opens her eyes.

“So, how are you feeling nya?” you ask.

The girl hasn’t talked about anything yet since she vanquished the demon inside Nightingale, that fragment of Kataros. So, you are worried about her.

“I’m okay, just a little tired,” Asteria replies.

“Then…  You can rest now, I will visit you tomorrow, nya…”

You don’t want to interrupt Asteria’s recovery.

But “No, stay here,” Asteria replies, shaking her head.

So you sit down next to her. And then, once again, the two of you watch the night sky together. The night is so silent and tranquil. Everything feels right. To you, this is peace. 

Suddenly, Asteria leans towards you, resting her head onto your shoulder. 

This surprises you, and your heart picks up a beat. Asteria has never done anything like this before. The two of you have never been in such close contact!

Your heart is literally racing right now.

“H-hey, what’s wrong, nya?” But you still have to keep calm.

“Nothing. It’s just you being so hateable today.” Asteria murmurs.

“Huuh? Hateable nya?”

What does that even mean? What did you do? And why does Asteria hate you now?

But as you pay attention more carefully, Asteria’s body is shaking. Is she in pain? Is she angry?

“Asteria, are you really alright, nya?”

“Nevermind, it was my fault.”

“Huh?” 

“I couldn’t protect you.”

Ohh… a sudden realization hits you as you recall the recent events. Your soul got sucked out, and you almost got digested by the demon. 

So that is what bothering Asteria right now. 

That girl, she is blaming herself! 

And you also remember when Asteria came to your rescue. Hell, she was furious! Her face was completely twisted and the pitch black aura she was emitting gave you chills. It was scary. You absolutely don’t want to see that again.

“Why? It was not your fault, Asteria. It was my fault for being so careless nya…”

“But–”

“Let’s not talk about that anymore and move on, nya?”

That’s probably the best thing to do here. What happened happened. You’ve learnt your lesson, so nothing good will come if you keep delving too much into it .

“Alright,” Asteria nods lightly. And then, “There’s something else you wanted to ask, right?” she continues.

“Oh, right!” That reminds you. “I’m just curious about you. Nightingale said that you are the goddess Aquilonyan. So… is that true… nya?”

“Haha, no.” Asteria replies.

Confused, you press on. “But the divine weapon—”

“Yes, it's divine.”

“So, you’re a goddess, nya?”

Again, she denies. “No.”

“Huh? But that’s not possible nya!”

Aren’t divine weapons can only be used by god and goddesses? If Asteria is not a goddess like she said, then how did she use it?

“Because I’m a genius?”

“Ack! That excuse again! You can’t just say that everytime nya!”

You know that Asteria is a genius already. But simply being a genius shouldn’t be the sole answer for every life problem! Obviously, Asteria is literally using that as an excuse to avoid answering many questions from you! 

“Haha, very well, guess I should tell you more about myself then?”

“Huh?"

You reel in surprise. Asteria is that type of girl who always refuses to tell you anything regarding her past. But now… she is opening up? Something is wrong! Is this catgirl broken!?

“Are– are you really okay, nya?” you ask, feeling a mix of worry and curiosity.

“What? You don’t want to hear?”

"Of course I am! Please, share with me, nya!"

"Very well..."

She hesitates, then starts. As Asteria unveils her story, you listen intently, hanging on every word.

“I’m actually not a genius, Felicia. I’m just an idiot, an ignorant fool.”

In that moment, bit by bit, the layers of her past unfold before your eyes.


9