]EPISODE 87: CRAFT
18 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

EPISODE 87: CRAFT

— Edryan Queendom, Year: 7291. Season: Color Fading.

“This is… new,” I began while looking at the hew. I attached it to the simple cord I used to tie my pants before speaking once again. “Golemancers don’t use tools such as these when building a new golem.”

“I know boy, this realm has lost its heritage. Classes are nearly twice, if not thrice as weak as they once were two ta three thousand years ago. Ya can thank Carno Edryani for that.”

My head cocked to the side, confused. “Who is Carno Edryani… and what did he do?” It was not the first time I heard about this second [Chosen]. Any record of a previous [Chosen of Madris] or any large, continental-scaled wars was scrubbed… clean. They weren’t in any of the history books I read growing up.

Ignis sighed and turned back to his workstation as he grabbed another ingot. He tossed it to me, and I grunted as I caught the large block of refined ore. I was forced several steps back from the weight at the same time Ignis stepped back from his workstation. “Nothing comes for free boy, get ta work if ya want ta gain knowledge from me.”

I occupied his spot and looked at the equipment made for someone easily thrice my size. I looked back at Ignis and the automaton coughed, then gestured back to my workstation. By the time I turned around, the surrounding equipment shrunk to more manageable sizes.

“What do you want me to craft?”

“Whatever ya heart desires.”

Whatever my heart desires, huh? I looked at the area my right arm used to occupy. I wasn’t sure if what I had in mind held a shot at working, but it didn’t hurt to try. I removed [Golemancer’s Hew] from my waist after I placed the ingot on the circular workstation. Ignis stood a small distance away and watched me. His flames provided a comforting warmth that lit up the entire room.

“(Golem Forging).”

The moment the skill activated, a change happened to the hammer and me. I felt a click… in me and in (Golem Forging) as if the skill was inserted into a piece it never knew it was missing. My mana flooded the hew and activated a blue-golden glow on the runes carved within it. I turned back to the ingot and began to hammer as Ignis began to speak. Every hammer blow fell into perfect place as the object of my desire began to form.

CLANG!

“Ya’re the second [Chosen] ta make their way here after the realm shattered. Alidra Edryani, the first [Chosen of Madris], visited previously when this mountain used ta be a place of welcome… and more. When the remnants of Elrunian’s creations banded together under one banner, but she wasn’t no [Chosen] then,” Ignis began.

CLANG!

“That’s not what’s important right now, but know that all you Saphens used to live under one united nation. The first war began by Madris shattered that.”

CLANG!

“The magi came ta occupy the lands they’re in now, and this place was closed off. That’s when Rasheed became the [End of Adventure]. Carno came a few thousand years later. He was much like ya, a curious sort of fellow… bright and full of curiosity. Rasheed took to him instantly.”

CLANG!

“Carno came for knowledge, he wanted ta know if t’was a better way ta accomplish Madris’s goal without the same sacrifice Alidra made. If he could accomplish Her goal in a peaceful format… he would. He failed, of course. ”

CLANG!

“Yet while he t’was here, Rasheed taught him the power knowledge has and how it affects classes. How certain knowledge can increase the capabilities of skills at certain grades.”

CLANG!

“Then Carno left and began his conquest as the [Chosen of Madris]. Burning down libraries of historic knowledge and skill use. He burned his way ta the doors of the Temple of the Sun.”

CLANG!

“That’s where the [Chosen of El] stopped 'em and slayed him. Far taa late as the damage was done. Ancient heritages are gone and the people who practiced them… dead. Ya know there are six lesser attributes? Three of 'em are lost. Carno killed all who held knowledge of ‘em.”

I continued to work while Ignis spoke. He told me of Carno Edryani and the damage he did to the continent. In front of me, the metal began to fold and turn into putty as it took the shape I wanted. I crafted the object, focusing all my skills on it, only pausing to take rough estimates here and there.

All the while, Ignis told me the tale of Carno Edryani — Knowledge Breaker. He was the second [Chosen of Madris] and what, who , I suspected was under The Lavish as it was roughly after the time King Darius slayed Oogoon’s son and Madris slayed him, eradicating the race of sea giants in the process.

The Sage, my personal watchdog, came about recently when my grandmother passed away and her murderer Az — The Wise was slain. His domain was taken as the consolation for the action.

Questions plagued my thoughts. Questions I knew would most likely never receive an answer, yet I asked them to myself anyway. The first was simple.

Why would Carno burn knowledge? What was the benefit?

Why is the history of the previous [Chosen] hidden from the magi?

How am I going to get this arm to work?

I looked down at my semifinished product. It was a simple carved golem’s arm, only it was measured and styled to fit me. It was not insanely detailed, as only the elbow held a proper hinge to swing back and forward. The hand and other components were placed nearly as decoration, but they could still be of use. The only major thing was the arm’s hollowness. I’d only used a third of the ingot Ignis gave me. I crafted the arm to be hollow in an attempt to lessen the weight and burden it may have on me.

It took me a bit over an hour to craft the arm. The maneuvering I had to do with my left arm made everything a bit more tedious. I found myself reaching with my right several times as I forged, only to remember what and why I was forging in the first place. Once I was finished, Ignis reached over and picked it up. Bringing the prosthetic to his face.

“What do you think?”

“I think it looks like a pile of Rakkon shit boy, but it’ll have ta do,” Ignis said while handing it back.

“Now… let’s see if this works… Life is the spark that ignites the potential. It is a joy just as it is a burden. A pleasure that can be a pain. Before me, I grant you the intelligence to rise, to act, and become more than what your once were. Ignite the life within this creation of mine with this (Golemancer Infusion).”

HP: 825/825 (+300)

SP: 385/765 (+0)

MP: 670/1050 (+0)

I spoke one of the more basic golem life infusion spells in the language of Kair-unian and felt a considerable chunk of stamina and mana drain from me. I didn’t use (Imperius Infusion) as its cost was far greater, even if the spell that imbued life into the golem was greater. The combined cost of two thousand Life Points in total wasn’t an easy thing to give up for a small experiment.

The arm instantly was brought to life and I bonded with it immediately. Ignis watched in silence as I rolled back my sleeve and picked up the arm. There was an opening that would fit the nub that was left of my bicep. Later I would reinforce the connection better. I took in a deep breath before slowly letting it out. The arm fit perfectly, now I’d have to test how good the golem would listen to my commands.

I focused on the remaining ingot and began to order the golem.

“Reach forward and grab.”

The makeshift prosthetic reached forward, but It was not in the direction I wanted, as my arm was simply jerked straightforwardly for the golem arm to grab air.

Ignis chuckled, but I ignored the automaton. I was just happy to know that such a process could work.

“(Imperius Synchronization).”

(Imperius Synchronization)

Function:
‎ Mental Merge

Merge your mind with that of the golems and control them as you control your body.

Cost:

75 MP, 75 SP per five minutes.

Description:

Golemancers at the height of their craft connect with and use golems to battle in their place, keeping the master safe as the golem fights their battles.

Immediately, my mind connected to the golem's arm.

“Huuuh! This is something else.”

“I don’t know what you expected boy, you put no sensory runes on it. But for a first try, it’s not that bad.”

My connection to the living golem arm was… weird. It felt like an empty void was in place on my right. I could feel around it, but I couldn’t feel within the void itself. Hesitantly, I commanded my right arm to move. Slowly, it lifted and shifted toward the remaining ingot. The rough hand I created opened on my command and I grasped the ingot and lifted. It rose effortlessly, in fact, before I commanded my arm to set it back down.

Several smaller tests took place as I came to understand the limitations I held with my quick fix invention. This was not the first time I used (Imperius Synchronization) as I tested the core skill out the moment I received it. Yet, using it in this manner was new, and I felt like a newborn trying to get my bearings once again.

“Now, let’s build this better… and then I can try building that .”


Minerva browsed through the simple history book that spoke of a time before the current history. A book titled: New Genesis, Year 0.

Next to her, Madria read along and would flip the page slowly. The two were shocked as they read of the first events after the collapse of Genesis. Madria didn’t realize she was holding her breath as they opened and read the first pages of the book.


From the textbook: New Genesis, Year 0.

When Elrunian fell and all was thought to be lost as the red-black flames of [Oblivion] consumed the remnants of Genesis… the last three natural-born Gods, two natural-born Titans, and the sole offspring of the dragons acted.

The Gods were:

Ashaka — Mighty Star .

Folkun — Motheress .

Jaa’ja — Final Laugh .

The Titans were:

Molren — Molten Earth .

Daahk — Shieldmaiden .

The Dragon was:

Rasheed — Final Dragon .

The six gathered, each at a different point in the fading Genesis realm, to cast a spell that would halt and banish away the flames. Together, they would willingly sacrifice their… everything , soul, power, body, attributes… everything , in hopes of giving the final piece of Genesis a chance at survival. Ashaka devised a spell that would cover Genesis in stars, protecting the realm as it banished the flames of chaos.

Realm Guards, built by Jaahgar, did their best to contain the flames of chaos and stop the remnants of Oblivion’s attack, yet their efforts proved futile. No matter, as they fought on desperately.

Ashaka, seeing as Rasheed was the last hope of the dragons, gave the young dragon a false spell and false location. For Gods would still exist and Titans could grow from the earth once again. Only dragons required one another to be born.

Together, the five took their places. Folkun flew to the Astral, Ashaka stood upon the lower area of the Mortal Realm. Molren stood at the continent’s height. While Jaa’ja took up the center. Daahk resided in the Underneath as the final focal point.

The deed was done and Rasheed found himself alone until the remnants of the Saphens began to appear and with them, tiny fragments of [ Oblivion ], monsters , began to wage war on that sole piece.

New Gods… led by Madris Edryani — First Magi , emerge to lead their people — to protect them as they battled against the fragments of [ Oblivion ].


Madria took a deep breath and pushed the book away. This went against everything the Church of Madris taught. Minerva chirped at her, but the young woman shook her head.

“This… I’m sorry Minerva, I can’t read anymore. This goes against everything the church has taught. I… I…,” she stuttered.

“I feel lost and Goddess Madris has not answered my prayers. Her connection here feels weak… limited.”

Minerva flew up to her shoulder and gently rubbed her face against Madria’s. That action seemed to bring a sense of comfort and relief to the young woman as she calmed. Gently, she brought the bird to her lap and slowly began to pet her, combing her fingers through her feathers and applying soft scratches.

Sensing that Madria calmed down, Minerva hopped back to the book and activated a skill.

“(Codex Inscription).”

(Codex Inscription) — Heroic

Function:

Scan and copy any written information into the Codex of Earth.

Cost:

50 MP.

Description:

Directly copy and store information into the Codex of Earth.

The textbook New Genesis Year 0 appeared as just another one of the books stored in the massive library within Minerva. She shelved it away in the section reserved for knowledge pertaining to the retitled Elrunian Continent section. The benefit of her skill was her ability to instantly know all the information stored within the book.

‘ Lawruthian will need to know this… this is… wow, ’ she mentally stated as you understood the full contents of New Genesis Year 0. The book covered the earliest stages of the continent after the fall of Elrunian. It covered the rising of the New Gods and the first one hundred years after the new recorded start.

Of all the information Minerva wanted and needed to collect today, her first stop was heavy. Already it took her partner out as Madria seemed to stare into the distance. Minerva wished she could comfort her, but mental communication skills was something that no knowledge remained of. At least, she assumed such in the case of the libraries on the War Throne Palace’s grounds.

Minerva looked at Madria and hesitated. ‘ It might be best to leave her be for a while. Everything she thought she knew is getting deconstructed right now. That’s not something easy to deal with. ’

Minerva took flight and made her way upwards. In several seconds, she flew past Terra. The automaton was silent and steadily stood there. She paused for a moment as she noticed Aspect Rasheed and his gems were missing. After making a quick note of it, Minerva turned to the stairs that led upwards and toward the higher floors of the library. The floor they initially found themselves on, as it was the entrance to the library, was the third floor. The floors of the Library of Final Hope held a pattern of six runic letters to each. Minerva found herself on the second floor, simply going around and checking out the titles of books. She still held an opportunity to read an Uncommon, Rare, and Mythical book as she declined to trade any more knowledge until she used up her current values.

She passed hundreds, thousands of books, each with a unique glow and title that pulled her. The Codex of Earth was a living, breathing database with Minerva as its interface to the realm… and it was hungry for knowledge.

She passed books on alchemy, books explaining the fundamentals of lost classes, children’s books, and more. Minerva continued to fly, scanning the titles of books and their placement as she did so. She wanted to get an idea of what was what before she checked out her next book. She turned the corner and banked hard left as a lithe automaton was walking through the corridor.

“Oh, I’m sorry,” a feminine voice exclaimed.

Minerva recovered herself and turned to face the automaton. “ That was my fault, I didn’t think anyone else roamed the halls. ”

“No, no, not at all. You must be the guest Master Rasheed is having over, such a pretty owl. I am Realm Guard Vita and you?”

Minerva studied Vita for a brief moment before responding. The lithe automaton was full of life and colors, but a golden-white was the most prominent. The automaton held a feminine build that was hourglass in nature. A crown of flowers grew from her head and her body appeared to be partially covered by a wooden bark-like armor. Like Terra, Vita held definition on her face with white-gold gems for eyes and full defined lips. It was easy to see that the craftsman put extra detail when creating her as she held a full head of long hair, Minerva realized late was grass. It wasn’t just that, the automaton facial features were carved to appear like that of a young woman and although she was clearly made of magic and more, her features still kept a ‘robotic’ look to them.

“ I am Minerva — Keeper of the Codex. ”

“Minerva… such a pretty name. May I offer you a perch,” Vita asked as she raised an arm.

Minerva hesitated, but after not finding a great reason to refuse, she gently settled on Vita’s arm.

The automaton seemed delighted as she smiled . A pure and joyous thing that caused Minerva to smile back. Vita just radiated life.

“ Lawruthian would love to meet you. ”

“Lawruthian? The [Chosen of Madris] and the soul you originate from?”

Minerva froze for a moment, but before she could respond, Vita spoke again.

“Sorry, I didn’t mean anything by it. I am the Realm Guardian of Life, and I can see a soul bond tether coming from the direction of Ignis’s forge. I’d imagine the holder of the rest of the soul you originate from is there.”

“Can… you… understand what is happening between us?”

“Yes child, of course,” Vita cheerfully stated and gestured around. “The middle of the hallway is no place to have a conversation. Why don’t you accompany me to my garden?”

Minerva hesitated and glanced around.

“Don’t worry, I’ll make it worth your time,” Vita said with a reassuring smile.

Minerva glanced at the smiling face of Vita and felt the gentleness of her aura. Today was the first day of preparation for Lawruthian’s trial. Their lives were on the line and Minerva couldn’t play around, but here was an opportunity to learn more about herself and the bond — soul bond she and Lawruthian shared.

“Ok, but we have to retrieve my companion first. She’s on the third floor and I think a garden would do her good.”

“Oh yes! The more, the merrier! I can make us tea and snacks,” Vita responded cheerfully, excited as the pair took off.

2