EPISODE 89: FRIEND
44 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

EPISODE 89: FRIEND

— Edryan Queendom, Year: 7291. Season: Color Fading.

I know what I have to do… but I don’t know if I possess the strength to do it. It’s funny… a crown that is… the object is much heavier than I initially imagined. Not by the weight of the jewels or precious material it is made from… but the responsibility that comes with it.

One day, Edryan will be mine to lead… but who do I have that I can trust? The woman I consider my best friend is far from my station and lacks the prestige to truly walk next to me… unless I do something about it. Perhaps upon my return from Starglow Valley. Alas, my thoughts have scattered off-topic, as it usually does. This is my hundred journal entry… a thing that occurs only when I truly need to jot down my thoughts.

I hope… I hope to be a good leader… a good ruler to the Edryan populace. Yet, I fear what I must do in order to save my soul. The lives I must sacrifice to the conquest of the realm. I fear it…

Sometimes… I wish I wasn’t reborn with the memories I hold. The values I’ve already established… sometimes I wish Lawrence Brown truly died that day.

A crown is a heavy thing.

— Excerpt from the journal of Lawruthian Edryani, Chosen of Madris.

“ The beginning is always the hardest… but then it got easier as time passed by, and we grew more comfortable with what we were doing . These RAIL systems built by Law are…,” Simra said as she drafted her letter back home.

Black ink stained her fingers and a smudge found its way onto her nose. Simra and much of group one found themselves taking a much-deserved break as they nearly completed their task of connecting Edrya to the territories of the great families. It was a novel thing and an experience Simra found herself… enjoying. Her leveling slowed, as most did once they broke past what was known as the tutorial levels, but that didn’t deter Simra in the slightest.

“…phenomenal! Luka and Jari would love to see the [Loren Falls] or the [Great Swamps of Karshi]. I can’t wait to give them the claws from the [Terror Hawk — ★★ ] and more I’ve slain. I am certain you can fashion them into something stylish mother! We should be back just before the Imperius Grand Summit! It looks like the capital is going to busier more than ever…”

Her blue eyes held a light and passion to them as she wrote to her family. Simra missed them terribly but as the year grew closer to an end, her experiences, leveling, everything grew her as a person. Her mentorship with Aurora led to the development of her second class as a [Sword-Initiate], a rare class that would lead into a legendary line as long as Simra continued to practice with the blade and challenge herself. This was not a small favor the young woman could repay, but the [Sword Saint] waved it off. Simra recalled the words of the woman.

“The secrets of hiding hirer class grades are from a old age and should have long since died. Why keep knowledge that can benefit society as a whole to a small group of people who believe themselves elite? Don’t worry about it, Simra. You’re a good girl and an even better swordswoman than I was at your age. Should I stifle you because you are not of noble birth,” Aurora scoffed as she asked the question.

“No, instead we should nurture you and give you the Power to protect others. That’s why I agreed to work at Imperius Academy. I do not agree with all the practices here, but the Holy Son is heading things in what I deem as a positive direction.”

The memory faded and Simra continued her letter. This time, she addressed her father. The image of the large jolly man flashed through her mind.

“Dear father, you were right… don’t tell mother I said that, she’ll never let me live it down! I’ve seen more of Edryan in the last few months than I thought possible. Thank you for pushing me to pursue my dreams… I’ve grown stronger than I ever thought possible. I just hope this is enough to help Law and take the steps to achieve my dream.”

Positive memories warmed Simra’s heart as she wrote. She finished with her signature just in time as a knock came to her door. Group One was headed toward the Musa Capital city and instead of camps, they built slightly more permanent structures that traveled down the very rails they were building. The magical density headed toward the large territory of the Marquis family increased rapidly. This caused them to take several large detours around the known territories of Calamity level beast and other strong creatures. The route allowed the route to have numerous stops at large dungeon towns along the way.

Simra opened the door and smirked at the grinning face of Lorde Drumian.

“Apparently you can’t wait for me to kick your ass again today, huh,” she questioned confidently.

Lorde’s icy green eyes lit up as he reached forward and gently wiped the smudge of ink from Simra’s nose. She blushed not realizing what he was doing but he showed her his ink-stained thumb and winked.

“Oh? Perhaps I should use Drumian Combat Arts this time. Let’s see how you fare then!”


CLANG!

Weapons clashed against one another as Simra faced against Lorde. Around them, many battles took place as the students found themselves restless. They’d been working constantly for several months, and sitting down to relax was something Simra found a bit difficult.

Simra pushed back against Lorde, tossing the young man backward as she swiftly followed with a skill. (Imperius Combat Arts: Form Breaker) moved Simra’s body forward in an accelerated movement that bashed her shield into Lorde. Her opponent quickly raised his own to defend, his eyes shining with confidence. Right before they clashed, the ground trembled. Both fighters expelled mana to control the surrounding zone, with neither succeeding.

CLANG!

“Good, you’ve improved drastically since we first began.”

“Ha-ha, I think I’ve learned a thing or two sparring against you and the others.”

“Then perhaps we should take things up a level.”

“(Drumian Combat Arts: Zone Control).”

Instantly, Simra gasped as the mana around her left the sudo control she held over it. Immediately she focused, her Intent looking for any signs of trouble as her sword began to stab forward, targeting Lorde’s vitals. At the same moment, she bashed his shield to the side, completely exposing his body to her attack. Her blue eyes were focused, and Lorde’s icy-green eyes widened slightly in shock. Simra hadn’t yet used a sword skill, everything she did was by her ability alone.

Her blade moved fast and in a split second it was nearly piercing Lorde’s chest. Their weapons were real and would cause real damage, but fortunately, there were plenty of [Priest] and [Priestess] of their Goddess around to prevent any {Mortal Wounds} from taking their lives.

“I’ve got you,” Simra exclaimed in victory. However, she still concentrated on finishing the job.

Lorde’s eyes seemed to focus, the shock gone as a second skill immediately activated.

“(Drumian Combat Arts: Translocation).”

One moment, Simra was staring at victory as her blade began to pierce into Lorde. The next, her weapon flashed as she took a few steps forward from overstepping, her thrust connecting with nothing. Simra moved her shield behind her, her instincts screaming at her. The training with her master kicked in as she blocked the attack.

CLANG!

“Good! I expected nothing less from you!”

The rest of Simra’s body turned to face Lorde. He’d manage to teleport to the other side of her in that split second before her sword connected to his flesh. However, her attack did manage to leave a light cut on his chest, revealing a bit of his defined chest. She blushed and licked her lips.

“My eyes are up here,” Lorde stated. He winked for the second time today causing her heart to flutter. Her training kicked in and she recovered herself, fire in her gaze. She could not disappoint her master.

“(Sword Step Thrust),” Simra responded.

Her body thrust forward. One leg stepped forward as she brought her shield back. Her sword curved from below the belt upwards in an attempt to skewer her foe.

“(Drumian Combat Arts: Translocation).”

CLANG!

Once again, her shield managed to find itself in the right place on time. All the while, she kept her concentration focused around her. Lorde was still controlling the mana surrounding her. If she were primarily a mage, she’d most likely would have experienced defeat by now. Instead, her tight focus on her surroundings allowed her to stay in the bout for several more minutes. It wasn’t until a voice called out that both parties halted their attacks. Breaths heaving and sweat dripping as they ran low on their mana and stamina points.

“Time,” Karla called. She sat on the grass, her hands behind her back, as she watched them with a few others.

Around them were platters of food and drinks, the two combatants didn’t hesitate to help themselves too. Simra carefully began to polish her sword and shield as she sat next to her friends. Weapon maintenance became a habit for the young woman the moment she received a break after combat. The group continued to chat, but Simra paid them no mind, her focus elsewhere.

You have gained +10 Power, +10 Endurance, +10 Intent from intense combat.

She smiled happily as the Prime System acknowledged her increase in strength. The battle between her and Lorde was intense and as he began to use his Drumian Combat Arts, its intensity only picked up. She opened her status to check her current level of strength.

Simra Enlar – Level 30

HP: 360/360

SP: 330/330

MP: 453/453

Base Atk: 56

Base Def: 34 + 16

HP Regen: 39/Hour

SP Regen: 35/Hour

MP Regen: 48/Hour

Bloodline: [+]

Main Class:
‎ [Imperius Spell-Sword] — 25

Perks: -

Power: 185

2nd Class: [Sword Initiate] — 5

Core Skills: [+]

Vitality: 120

3rd Class: [LOCKED]

Racial Skills: [+]

Endurance: 110

Faith:
‎ Goddess Madris

Status Effects: [+]

Mind: 151

Affiliation:
‎ Imperius Academy

Equipped:
‎ Simra’s Protection,

Imperius Training Gear

Self: 85

2nd Affiliation:

Skills: [+]

Intent: 85

Achievements:

Active Quest: [+]

Magic Affinity:

Attribute Points: 0

Once Simra finished her polishing, her attention returned to the group as she dismissed her status sheet.

“-ruthian has established dominance over Starglow Valley. I don't understand why they would even challenge the might of Goddess Madris’s Chosen.”

Simra ears picked up. She hadn’t heard any concrete details of the conflict the Starglow Valley chose to establish with Law. The only thing she knew about was the Imperius Grand Summit, it was more of a noble thing but many magi-humans from all over the country were gathering. The city would be packed for at least a month depending on how long the summit took.

“Hmph, they thought themselves superior since trade caravans nearly exclusively use their services to expand their caravan space. Who knows what their elders were thinking to challenge the Crown Prince. I’m glad he’s put them in their place.”

“Oh, you should have heard of it! I heard he called down the power of the Goddess to smite their lands! At the very least, he’s taken control of their valley. I wonder what will happen to the inhabitants,” Karla said smugly.

“What do you think he will do, Simra,” a voice asked. The young woman looked to Luke Walker. The only other commoner left in Class One. He’d managed to develop a small friendship with Karla and by extension her.

She studied the shorter man for a moment as she thought about Law. Luke was 167 centimeters tall, quite short for the average male of their race, but his power was definitely up there. He had unremarkable blue eyes and a short brownish-black hair.

“I think Law will reform the people of Starglow Valley. It is a mystery to me as to why the school’s elders would publicly challenge Law. Do they not understand what it means for him to be Her [Chosen]?”

Simra shook her head. It was still a wonder to her that she could call the [Chosen of Madris] her friend. The representation of their Goddess in a more physical, mortal form. Regardless if he was mortal… Lawruthian was much more powerful than he let on. To challenge him was challenging the Goddess.

Lorde spoke up after she finished. Similar to her, he just finished the maintenance of his equipment. “The Council of Elders attempted to do something they should have recognized as old fashion and far outside their reach for the current age. They did not adapt to the changing times, and thus their defeat was inevitable. Just be careful as we return to Edryan. A summit is not a thing to be taken lightly. Most nobles of Edryan will be present in the capital during the time… not only them but hundreds of mage schools, knight orders, and more will be attending,” he finished.

Lorde Drumian knew a lot more, but it was not his place to tell those around him what exactly was going on. However, he deemed a hint in the right direction wouldn’t hurt.

Like this, the conversation continued into the late evening. Within two to three weeks time, the RAIL system to Ogun’s Rest and the capital of the floating Musa Isles would be complete. It was the same for the other groups. It was estimated by mid Color Fading or beforehand for all activities to cease and for the students of Imperius Academy to return to school… just in time for the summit.


Simra found herself alone in her room. A fresh shower and set of clothes had her relaxed and ready to end the night peacefully. Her day was somewhat dull, but the opportunity she received to relax gave her mind and body a break she didn’t know she was missing. The light of the outside entered her room through a small window. Stars from the night sky, a constellation representing her Goddess, shone. It watched over the people of Edryan and protected them from the unknown of the world.

Just as the young woman began to fall asleep, a notification flashed before her. It did not matter that her eyes were closed and she was falling asleep, Simra saw it all the same. It was something that instantly jolted her to wakefulness as her eyes opened. She swallowed hard and continuously stared at the screen that appeared before her. She blinked once, then twice, and used her hands to rub at her eyes. Her curly hair served as an extra layer of cushion against her pillow, yet she was far from comfortable as she gazed at the quest notification before her.

Quest: [Light of the End] — Divine

Quest Details:

The Enlars are brothers and sisters to the Edryanis. Blood intermingled through generations of marriage alliances. Goddess Madris has tasked you to reestablish the Enlar Clan to their rightful place as protectors of the Edryan State and more. To reestablish yourself as the [Light of the End].
‎ Make a name for yourself amongst the populace of Edryan. Reveal your title.

Rewards:

Second Function of Titled: Light of the End.

Failure:

Goddess Madris — The Sage lost favor.

Just as Simra was closing her eyes to sleep, the textbox for this quest appeared before her, startling her to alertness.

“The Enlar…,” she whispered.

Lawruthian was not the only one holding secrets back. When he revealed himself as the Crown Prince of Edryan and not the small-time noble she believed him to be… she held the opportunity to reveal things to him as well. To reveal who she was and what she represented. It was impossible for her to not know as the reputation of the Queen, the woman whose guards she wished to join, was built through the bloodshed of her clan and more.

It was something she didn’t understand… not at first and not until her mother revealed more to her that she did understand . Her last name remained her biggest secret and one that Simra would have taken to the grave if possible.

The words on her quest allowed for anything but that. She was the [Light of the End] and that meant she held weight and importance to Edryan.

A heavy sigh escaped her lips.

“What do I do,” she questioned. Part to herself, partly out loud in general… hoping someone – something would answer her.

Panic began to settle in. This quest was sent directly by Goddess Madris… but her family was technically still criminals in Edryan.

“Law…? Maybe Law can help me?”

Her thoughts were chaotic, and the moons’ light shone down on the Elrunian Continent. This continued until the earliest rays of dawn light entered her bedroom.

“What do I do?”

Forgot to announce it here but March 10-16 will be a week of no chapters! Sorry, its my bday week and I'll be taking the week off!

1