EPISODE 11: A Stronger Self
103 0 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

EPISODE 11: A Stronger Self

-Edryan Queendom. Year 7288, Season: New Beginning

Only the thing for which you have struggled will last.

-Nigerian Proverb


Groans erupted from my mouth as I shifted in my position against the wall. The smell of cooked meat and death made its way into my nose. The stench of the decaying jackalope carcass and its death throws permeated throughout the cave and into the very essence of the place. Madris, I’d kill for a hot shower… oh wait. While the sounds of spring erupted from outside the cave. New Beginning had settled in. Spring was here. The hibernating monsters were awake. I hope I see tomorrow.

Slowly I dragged myself to my feet. My body aching from the battle a few hours before. My night was restless as the pain kept me in a troubled sleep. The heat from a fever rearing its head yet I desperately summoned water to clean myself and to keep myself as healthy as possible. Magic enhanced my body, but I was not unsusceptible to disease and other forms of sickness. I need to face my fears.

“I need to get over dying.”

When my grandfather on my dad’s side died accepting his death was hard. Pops always had a word of advice to give me. Spending summers over at his house and going swimming in the creek on his land were some of my best childhood memories. Brock would sometimes come and spend a week or two with us. We would go fishing and have a small camp on the porch underneath the night sky. Pops was the first person in my life to die and I found it hard to accept. For days I ate little to no food worrying my parents and friends. It was hard to come to terms with Pop's death especially after having grown so close to him. The valuable lessons he taught me wrang through my skull. His last words of advice came to my mind. Gods I haven’t thought about Pops in such a long time.


“Lawrence, do you know the most important thing about life,” Pops questioned. Kind eyes gaze down on me as we cast our lines into the running creek. Weathered but strong brown hands held on steadily to the fishing rod.

“The most important thing about life…? Probably food,” I replied with a chuckle.

Pops laughed before his aged hand reached over and rubbed the top of my head.

“That’s important but not what I had in mind. Listen, Lawrence, we all have to die one day. Here is a word of advice I want you to take to heart. Listen closely and keep it with you always.

If you are a good person, even after death, your grave is loved. Good men must die, but death cannot kill their names. As long as a man lives, the entire world is too small for him; after death, the grave is big enough. Say not in grief he is no more but live in thankfulness that he was.

Do you understand?”


At that moment I didn’t understand his words. I was only thirteen and my mind was still young and fresh to the world. He died two months later, and my disease grew worse. I think Pops sensed that it was close to his time. So, he spent those moments surrounded by his grandchildren, yet I was one of the only ones to stay for the full summer.

“I think I understand now Pops,” I said. Slowly chewing the meat of the monster. I died saving Celina but in truth from the process of waking up in the Ascension Hall. To being reborn as the Chosen One or Holy Son or whatever my people wished to call me. I had never fully sat down and mourned my death. There was that time I cried as I realized I’d most likely never see my family and friends again. That wasn’t the same as saying goodbye to my past. To the man I once was.

I didn’t mourn the passing of Lawrence Brown.

I didn’t mourn the passing of Lawrence Brown.

I didn’t mourn the passing of Lawrence Brown.

Thrice said as customary in Edryan culture when stating important things. The passing of Lawrence Brown was never mourned. Only brushed to the side as I tried my best to steer my thoughts from such things. To occupy my time with projects in preparation for Madris's call.

As I felt the pain and burden of my wounds from my battle. A new wound showed itself. One of the mind. One of Self.

My voice came out gravely and tired but filled with the strength of my resolve.

“I died.”

“It’s okay.”

“It's okay to cry for Lawrence Brown. He died a hero. He protected the girl he loved. He did his best in a world too small for his soul and spirit. He did his best to stay true to his ideals and help the world in his own way. It's okay to cry Lawruthian. It's okay to cry for Lawrence.”

As I spoke, I could feel my eyes watering for the first time in years. The strong mental bastion lowered after years of fortitude. Tears gently drifted down my brown cheeks and into the dirt.

Say not in grief he is no more but live in thankfulness that he was.

I understand pops.

I understand.

Thank you.”

Lawrence Brown was dead yes… but Lawruthian Imperius Koltius Edryani was alive and thankful for him. He was thankful for the memories he made and the fun times he had. He was thankful for the days of struggle in the hospital. He was thankful for the friends and lovers he made along his journey. I was thankful for the man he showed himself to be.

Without Hesitation.

I was thankful Lawrence Brown was the hero he is. Lawruthian will forever be grateful. It was time to accept my death. Lawrence Brown died and Lawruthian Edryani was born. That was ok.

“It is okay.”

A notification appeared.

A new Achievement has been unlocked!

Achievement Type: Feat

[Acceptance of Self]

Description:

The hardest step to take is often the first that begins the journey. You have taken that step and progressed your mind to a new level. Accepting the death of your previous life has pushed your mentality to a new height.

Effect:

+30 Self + 20 Power + 15 Vitality + 10 Intent

 


Twenty-four hours before they’d come for me. Twenty-four hours before I could go home. I let out a cough, my body growing sick from the wounds and fatigue. I will not die here. Alone in the forest like some common twat.

I am a Hero!

I just had to hold on for another twenty-four hours. I was certain I’d be found shortly after the full two weeks passed. There was no doubt in my mind. Could I keep myself alive until then? The million-dollar question hung in my mind. I will survive no matter what.

I awoke in the middle of the night. A sense of danger radiated in my mind. Shit. Judging by the amount of moonlight the sun was only a few hours from rising. A few hours from completing the task my mom assigned to me. I just hope this would be worth it once I unlocked the system and could receive my first class. All of this was to unlock a class with a rarity of Rare or higher according to my mom. This was how nobles kept their monopoly on classes and strength above the masses. In a world where one person could call down a meteor strike and end a city. Personal power was the absolute. Certain accomplishments unlocked special/hidden requirements for unique classes. The nobility spent generations studying these ways and holding onto them. Surviving for two weeks alone in the wilderness was just one of those ways. In fact, it was considered one of the less dangerous ways to get a Rare class or higher.

My gaze settled on the entrance of the cave. The glowing set of eyes told me all I needed to know. A growl echoed through the cave. Reverberating off the walls. At most, I had two to three hours before sunrise and my official two weeks would be over.

A second pair of eyes appeared in the darkness. Then a third and the cloud covering the moon moved as a wolf pack revealed itself. My eyes roamed over the pack as I slowly grabbed my sword and rose from my laying position. I began to chant softly as the beasts showed no inclination to attack.

Earth is the origin of all. It is the provider. I call upon you Terra, I ask for your protection. I ask for you to mold my surroundings into an impenetrable fortress. Allow me to weave the earth by your will, (Shape Earth).”

The moment I finished chanting the entrance swiftly began to collapse as I willed upon it. Just as the first wolf made up its mind to enter. The earth sealed itself around it. The beast was still alive but trapped as half its body was in the cave.

Calmly I walked up to the animal and silenced it. The starching of paws outside alerted me that the wolves hadn’t given up. These were still normal animals. I had a monster with a monster core inside this cave. A chance at evolution. They would not be giving up any time soon. All animals yearned for evolution. From animals, they would become monsters and magic beasts. Growing stronger as they grew more and more. I just hoped I had enough oxygen to make it until I was found. The reason I wasn’t worried about not being found was simply because of divination and scrying. These magical abilities allowed one to look over long distances. With my mother having a direct bloodline connection to me, divination to find my location couldn’t be too hard. I settle back down against the wall and watched the blood drain from the slit neck of the wolf. I would not be dying today.


Liana blew past the trees. Lightly flying in between the branches as she swept through the forest. Her eyes searched and read everything that occurred in the area. The passing of a herd of deer to the north. The death of a great owl to a starred ★ monster. Years of experience guided her, and her eyes narrowed at the footprints of a large pack of wolves. Lawruthian was still human and should be able to deal with such a pack. Liana thought to herself. So why are they still alive?

Titiana’s divination sent her here. Liana grew worried at her findings. “Slaughter them,” she called out. Her squad responded as they cleared the twenty or so wolves from the area. Liana approached a half-dug mound with a frown on her face. Titiana sensed Lawruthian's location was here. Specifically, highlighting the area on a detailed map. Liana waited patiently and an earth mage showed up next to her. “Be careful, we must ensure nothing else has happened to His Highness.”

Next to the mage, a seemingly young woman appeared. She was dressed in the standard clergy uniform of the Madris Church. Long red robes with the symbol of Madris on her chest area. Two fist forearms included placed together forming a V shape.

Liana’s status as Captain of the Queen's Guard did not stop the glare emanating from the woman. The church was against putting the Holy Son in any type of danger. If Lawruthian was the son of anyone else, he would have long since been snatched by the church. Yet nobody was foolish enough to snatch something from the hands of the Iron-Blooded Queen. Least they die for it.

The earth mage worked fast, and the dirt removed itself. Floating into the air to reveal the still form of Lawruthian.

“Shit,” Liana said in worry. In the same second, she was near the boy. Not bothered by the stench emanating around them as she closely examined his condition. Just from a glance, she could tell he was in bad shape. Yet as Priestess Marna hurried to His Highness's side. Liana could tell he would be all right. His wounds were bad. Broken ribs and a burnt hand. With several minor scars and scratches littered throughout his body.

High Priestess Marna began by casting (Invigorate) as she carefully studied the Holy Son’s wounds. Anger appeared on her face as she discovered the extent of his damage. Yet the High Priestess of Madris let out a sigh of relief knowing that the wounds the Holy Son suffered could be easily cured. They were not considered life-threatening to High Priestess Marna. She continued to visually diagnose the Holy Son as she waited for her spell to completely settle.

A startled gasp came from the young boy and red-gold eyes opened to stare at his surroundings. Not speaking but just looking around. His expression was unknown to them. Liana let out a breath she didn’t know she held. Relief washed over her. She smiled as Lawruthian’s eyes met her own.

“What happened,” Liana asked. Curiosity was evident in her tone as the High Priestess Marna began to heal Lawruthian.

“What doesn’t kill you makes you stronger.”

That was all that he replied. His voice was heavy with fatigue, but his eyes were bright with strength and a light Liana hoped never faded.


My return home was uneventful. I was in the safe company of some of the strongest people in the capital territory. Liana Drumian, High Priestess Marna, and some of the various top performers of the Royal Guard. It seems my mother was taking no chances with my escort protection back to the royal castle.

High Priestess Marna remained by my side as we board the carriage home. Instead of quick and immediate healing. She patiently targeted the most affected areas. Starting with my chest before moving onwards. The process was slower, but this sort of healing made sure to remove all negative effects and help my body fight off any sickness.

“Holy Son, would you prefer to remove all the scars, or are they any you wish to keep?” Marna’s gentle voice asked me.

“Hmm, keep the scar on my hand. The rest don’t matter.”

I was well familiar with Marna. She was the priestess to cast (Madris’s Touch) and the one I directly worked with in creating my Hero Golems. She was the High Priestess of Madris and basically the second most powerful woman in the queendom when it came to political might. Essentially, she was the Pope. Her fancy title was Mother of Magi's 1stDaughter. Interchangeable between men and women. For years she’d been trying to get me to become closer to the church but if my mother didn’t make me then I wouldn’t go, and my mother rarely made me do anything. I had no deep interest in Madris's worship. Although as a show of appreciation for Marna’s efforts in becoming close to me, I would attend a service or three in the future. Right now, it was time to turn my attention to the next task of Edryan’s Three Steps. I could cross off the first step in the list of three.

  1. Survive two weeks alone in the wilderness.
  2. Undefined
  3. Undefined

As the warm glowing hand of Marna traveled over my body. I fell into a relaxing sleep. The worries of tomorrow are abandoned and left until… tomorrow.

System Unlock:

1,017 Days

12 Hours

10 Minutes

42 Seconds

 

6