EPISODE 78: A DIFFERENT PERSPECTIVE
23 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

EPISODE 78: A DIFFERENT PERSPECTIVE

— Edryan Queendom. Year: 7291. Season Color Fading.

Faith is the most powerful force within the Elrunian Realm. The faith of a people gathers upon their Gods, and that belief gives them power. It gives them the power to do things thought impossible. It gives them the power to alter reality and set new laws into place.

I’ve come to suspect the attribute points I receive from [Chosen of Madris] involve faith. When a belief is strong enough, a process happens and in that process, attribute points are delivered to me. If that is the case and I collect these attribute points to increase my strength… What of the Gods, who’ve existed since the dawn of the continent? What of Goddess Madris, who is the sole Goddess to a population of around fifty million magi-humans…?

No wonder she is feared on the continent and the Magi worship her so… if the Gods collect attribute points from faith, then Goddess Madris’s strength must be… Boundless.

— Excerpt from the journal of Lawruthian Edryani.


Madria groaned weakly, she pushed off the floor and her Life Points flashed in front of her eyes.

Imperius Saintess Madria Gamal — Level 26

HP: 200/255 (+0)

SP: 100/195 (+0)

MP: 100/450 (+0)

DP: 450/450 (+480)

She groaned and reached a hand-over to the boxes of potions she’d been inspecting. It took her several moments to uncork a high-grade potion of each and restore her LP to nearly max. Each potion immediately delivered two hundred of its points into Madria’s HUD, and the young woman felt far better than before. While this occurred, Madria circulated her Divine Mana through her body. She used it to invigorate her life force and help clear away any lingering ailments.

You have dispelled {Weakness}.

You have dispelled {Magenta Mirage}.

She shook her head as she stood, around her others reacted much of the same as she did. They were groggy but, for the most part, fine, which put Madria at ease. The base camp settled over a large cliff that gave the camp a perfect overview of the valley internals. She’d remembered everything as if it really happened but looking around it was clear that what occurred was some sort of illusion. Madria’s heart clenched in fear…

“What a powerful illusion… Goddess Madris, guide me! What is it I need to do,” she questioned.

The response was nearly immediate as Madria felt a tugging sensation. Her body turned to the cliff’s edge, and she cocked her head, confused. Her Goddess rarely spoke, but a hint and nudge in certain directions was enough for Madria on most days.

Today was such a day.

She ran, her [Priestess of Madris] robes not impeding her the slightest. Madria passed through the base camp, jumping and going around the fallen members of both Lawruthian’s small number of healing personnel and those of the West Gate Army.

Madria slowed as she neared the cliff edge. It only took her a few seconds to cross the distance of twenty meters to reach it, and by then the feeling she held only grew extreme. Madria focused, her eyes landing on the force that was only just pushing into Starglow Valley. This was not how everything was supposed to go. Lawruthian and Laura were only supposed to try to halt the war before it began. Unfortunately… that was no longer possible. Thraag and Laura’s reaction in the illusion was very clear to Madria.

Her eyes focused and Madria cast a spell, her vision enhanced on the two opposing parties.

Lawruthian was slowly feeding Laura a potion, the young man trying to get her to rise quickly. Madria watched him point forward. Her eyebrows scrunched together, confused.

“What is he pointing at,” Madria whispered.

Lawruthian finger was pointing nearly in the opposite direction Thraag and those next to him were recovering. The trio seemed to notice this as well, and they slowed in their recovery speed. Madria’s frown grew heavier. The moment she saw Laura charge out toward the empty space and Lawruthian toward Kei and Lock, she knew there was serious trouble.

Thraag smirked and rose into the air, his body settled at a comfortable distance where he’d be able to react with ease. Madria watched as his eyes settled on Lawruthian, who was only just helping Kei attempt to open a bottle.

“It’s too late,” Madria realized. They have no one there to dispel any of the heavy pollution from {Magenta Mirage} she realized.

She reacted nearly the moment Thraag opened his mouth to speak. “Let’s hope my debut as a [ Hero ] is spoken in the history books as a feat like no other. ( Party: Heroic Shift ).”

(Party)

Description:

In the Edryan State, none is revered more than its Goddess, underneath that position are [ Heroes ]. Elevate the worthy to join this position and become a guardian to Edryan.

Function:
‎ Class-Up!

Upon activation, offer the chosen party the chance to become a [Hero]. Once offered, cannot be rescinded. Once accepted, cannot be rescinded.

Function:
‎ Heroic Shift

Relocate to a party member’s side at the expense of mana.


Thraag — Dimension Shaper was tired . When he called in the thousand-year favor the Arcane Council owed the Convocation, he hadn’t expected Kubrat to show. Nor did he realize at the time she was a demigoddess. She kept it hidden well for the few weeks she stayed within the Convocation. That allowed her to plant whatever magic she used to cast such a grand illusion.

Groggily, he reached up and opened a hole in space to the pocket dimension he stored small trinkets and valuables. The old mage removed a potion, and he instantly perked up. His Life Points returned to full as {Weakened} faded.

You have dispelled {Weakness}.

Dimension Shaper Thraag Volkensha — Level 263

HP: 2229/2229 (+0)

SP: 1740/1740 (+0)

MP: 3639/3639 (+0)

He turned to Laia next and gently helped her.

The effects of {Magenta Mirage} have faded.

“Are you ok, my dear,” Thraag asked, concern evident on his face. As he helped her, Thraag kept a wary eye on Laura Lance and the prince next to her. It was how he immediately noticed they were not looking at him. Thraag’s eyes tracked the pair, who believed they held the jump on him. Laura took off toward the opposite direction, and the older man’s eyes widened. For a moment, they flickered to Garo Drumian, who was in the process of recovering a distance away from the prince.

Laia's eyes widened as she noticed what Thraag saw. The woman recovered as Thraag fed her potions. “Thraag no-”

Yet, her words fell on an empty space. The man she called a father hadn’t hesitated once the opportunity presented itself.

“( Domain Expansion: Space Sunder ).”

Nearly immediately, as he rose and gathered himself, Thraag struck. He’d realized the prince held a powerful magical artifact that was at least on the level of a Law as the memory of the illusion remained fresh in his thoughts. Thraag saw this as an opportunity to overwhelm the prince's defenses and capture if not outright put an end to him.

Domain Expansion: Space Sunder

Function:

Distort reality within a localized area, causing temporal distortions and tearing the area to pieces as the contents of the region are cast into the void itself.
‎ WARNING: Under the effects of the Spatial Law, all areas affected will severely weaken reality within the localized area. This can cause abnormal effects when reacting with skills that can affect space or time.

Cost:

1000 MP.

The illusionary effect over them seemed to be dispelled as Thraag activated his spell and Laura Lance turned. He’d imagine there would be horror within her eyes, but Thraag paid her no mind as his spell activated and the space around the prince began to distort.

At the same moment, Thraag’s eyes widened as a girl with black hair and golden highlights appeared shortly before Lawruthian. She’d managed to teleport into the area right before his spell took effect. Only a quick trace of pity flashed through Thraag’s dark irises.

“At least her death will be swift.”

There was no doubt in Thraag’s mind the girl would die. She didn’t hold the same protection he’d observed the prince to have. If the illusions Kubrat cast held true, which Thraag was most certain they were… then the young prince held a Calamity in his pocket. Thraag couldn’t afford to allow such a creature to enter the battlefield. Not only that, but the necklace around his neck offered far greater protection than what a normal artifact should. That meant it passed the limits of the mortal realm and began to touch upon the divine. He didn’t believe he’d have the opportunity to resemble Ashaka — Mighty Star now that Laura was aware of it.

The prince, seemingly sensing the danger, rose in a half dive toward the Gamal. His efforts to save her would prove futile. Thraag smirked and prepared to deal with Laura, but he paused.

His eyes widened in shock as for a brief moment around the prince, reality paused as time came to a halt. For a brief moment, it seemed like nothing would happen. Then Thraag’s spell broke through the pause of spacetime just as the two within crashed into one another and reality ripped around them. The spell produced spatial rends far more violent than normal.


Madria stared resolutely at Lawruthian. Space began to tear and sunder around them, yet the only thing on her mind was what she could do to help him. Since that faithful day, Madria chose to put her belief in the [Holy Son of Edryan], Madria’s belief never once wavier.

Not when Lawruthian revealed his plan to seize the vast power Houses held in the state of Edryan.

Not when Lawruthian revealed his RAIL System and chose to have the Convocation bend its knee.

Not when he spoke of the ancient history that even she didn’t know the full truth of.

Madria’s faith NEVER wavered, and it NEVER would, for that was who she was.

Lawruthian believes he walks this path alone. That none other will ever match him. Maybe that might be so. Maybe I can never possess the same amount of attribute points he has… nor could I hold the same sway and prestige he does amongst the Edryans…

Maybe so… regardless, he believes he walks this path alone and without help.

So I, Madria Judd Gamal… will help him!


“( A Moment Forever ).”

(A Moment Forever)

Description:

A Moment Forever. A Will Eternal. I cherish thee till thy end.

Function:

-1 charge per second of activation. Pause time within the radius of your Intent.

For a moment, time stopped. My mind continued to process the ongoing event, and hundreds of thoughts seemed to pass through my head for that split second. On my shoulder, Minerva was much of the same until those thoughts paused, and our eyes focused on Madria.

Our eyes locked, one pair of red-gold and the other a rustic gold that held divinity. Strangely, although time was paused, our minds and bodies remained active. In her eyes, the first emotion I saw wasn’t terror, it wasn’t fear as space twisted outside the affected range… large gashes rending off like the crackle of a whip. No, the first emotion I saw was a will, a resolve , a belief… in what? I didn’t know. Yet, my mind cleared as I knew what I’d have to do. Minerva immediately agreed with me.

The rends grew closer to the bubble that surrounded us, and the red crystals on my armor grew dim as the charges within decreased rapidly.

‘ There’s only one shot to save her life. ’

‘I’ll make it count.’

Time resumed and I acted immediately. [A Mother’s Gift], the very necklace my mother told me to never remove, was instantly off and over Madria’s head the moment we crashed together. Her eyes widened as they met mine. This time they held fear, but again this emotion wasn’t for her sake. No, I could tell… it was for mine. The resolve… the belief… those emotions displayed were solely because Madria never stopped believing in me. She’d never once stopped trying to help me or even really questioned the things I did as her [Chosen]. She held faith in me, regardless of what I did, nor did I ever see that faith in her waiver.

How could I not protect such a belief?

How could I stand by and watch her die as she tried to save me?

How could I be a [HERO] and let the damsel fall?

I chuckled, covering her with my body as space began to sunder the surrounding reality. Madria said something, but the sound was lost to me as I felt an intense tearing sensation, and the feeling on my right side seemed to disappear. I glanced over and chuckled once again… my right arm was… gone . Yet still, I held on to Madria, doing my best to use my body as a shield as the torn space swallowed us whole. A dim pink light uttered one final burst before all was Lost to darkness…


Alexandria paused, her mind not comprehending what she saw. She’d just rid herself of {Weakened} when as Lawruthian pointed toward Thraag and his companions. Yet, why was it that her eyes now showed her prince missing and the only thing left in his place was a cleanly sliced off arm.

There was a deep quietness that settled over Starglow Valley. No insects seemed to make sound, nor did the wind blow to rustle the leaves. To Alexandria, it was like all sound disappeared. It wasn’t until Ameri gasped that Alexandria understood, sound in fact, did not disappear. Only a strange silence settled over everything. Alexandria’s eyes settled on Laura, who took a step in the direction of the prince’s detached arm. She seemed dazed, beyond that, as she took a tumbling stepped in the direction of Lawruthian’s arm. It wasn’t just her, others, who began to recover, noticed the matte ebony armored arm lying there. That and the destruction Thraag’s spell caused.

It wasn’t just those of the West Gate and Imperius Army that held their place in shock. Laia’s eyes widened in astonishment. Thraag floated there in a stunned silence. He hadn’t expected the prince to hold skills that affected spacetime. Thraag was now certain Lawruthian held some sort of powerful artifact that held a law within it. Such an artifact would negate most forms of magic just by the fact that it was a law. The only thing that could seriously influence a law was another law.

He swallowed, Thraag’s ultimate goal for this war was a stalemate and if lucky, the capture of the prince to embarrass the Edryani family and get concessions from the crown. That was no longer possible… not in the state of the current battlefield.

The silence reigned supreme and for several minutes, nobody moved… and not a sound was uttered.

That was until Laura Lance spoke. “Thraag surrender yourself. If Caimen gets sent here or the Queen comes with Margret and Liana…. There will be no Starglow Valley to ever speak of.”

Her voice was startling calm, and Thraag turned to look at the short woman. His mind whirled as he thought over what she said. He glanced at Laia and their eyes locked. Yet, all he saw within hers was a stunned silence.

Councilman Jahman only just recovered as the fat mage struggled for several minutes to recover himself to peak. His eyes squinted and narrowed as he too came to understand what exactly occurred.

“Kei, Lock surrender yourselves to General Alexandria and Ameri. Immediately,” Laura stated. She didn’t bother to wait for Thraag’s reply before turning her back to him and moving toward the women she mentioned.

“West Gate Army, relieve yourselves of your weapons and armor. Immediately surrender to the Imperius Army.”

Thraag slowly floated to the ground. As he did so, Laia came up to him.

“Thraa- fa- father…”

Thraag’s heart ached. Laia only called him father when she was truly scared. His thoughts flashed as he remembered all the times the young orphan he picked up long ago called him father. He gazed at her and saw the crafty street urchin he picked up on the streets of Edrya herself. She’d been a quick learner and an even better pickpocket, but she tried robbing someone who was clearly a class holder with combat experience…

Quickly, he gave her a brief overview of what was to happen during his absence from the Valley. “…evacuate immediately. Do not attempt any resistance…”

His piece on Laia’s and Starglow Valley’s next steps finished, Thraag ended his conversation with one final word to his adopted daughter.

“Laia, from this day forward you are responsible for the Valley. Return to [NOVA] and immediately ensure Thane surrenders.”

He concentrated and a moment later a black gem, as black as the void itself, emerged from Thraag’s chest. Jahman's eyes flashed with a hint of greed, but the mage stayed put. Gently, like he did when showing her how to cast her first spell, Thraag guided |Space| until it was before Laia’s chest.

“Its weight is heavy , but I know you can carry it. I am proud of you. Whatever happens, do not fight the Queen. A scuffle with the prince was fine… but Queen Titiana herself will ensure nothing remains of our heritage.”

The moment the gem entered Laia's chest, Thraag left. He didn’t look back as he turned. The gentle calls of Laia seemed to fall on deaf ears as he marched to Laura. The woman was already de-armored and attribute limiting cuffs locked her wrist and ankles.

“Who knew a demigod would interrupt our fun,” Laura said with a wry smile.

The two generals who escorted her and her husbands looked silently confused, but they placed the cuffs on Thraag as he held his hands out.

“Didn’t tell them why they’re arresting you,” Thraag asked curiously.

“Generals, do you understand why you’re arresting me?”

The shorter one hesitated, but as she did so, the taller one spoke up. “You’re saving the Valley’s ass from complete annihilation. You both will still die… fortunately, the Prince’s arm remains and resurrection magic can be cast, but…,” she trailed off, her voice uneasy.

“…but that’s in the event his soul isn’t lost somewhere outside of the Mortal Realm. We clearly saw the spatial rend swallow him and Madria whole. He could be… dead ,” Alexandria whispered the last word before continuing. “Or worse…”

The rising sun outside the valley glowed an ominous red as it began to peak over the horizon. The Imperius generals silently and diligently did their duty as they claimed ‘victory’ over Starglow Valley. It’s inhabitants surrendered to the force.

2