Chapter 8: School…?
178 0 10
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 It was now evening, and we decided to head to a nearby park. There were many things to do there. For example…

tennis…

 But with that said. Vinz’s eyes sparkled. “I’ve never played before!” he excitedly said.  

ugh…

 I kept looking at the tennis field with disdain as I didn’t have good memories. And at the time, I was adamant. Determined to learn and get better at it, trying not to fall flat on my face. Yet, for some reason, I kept falling flat. And at that time. I learned an important skill in life.

give up on tennis.

 Since then, I’ve lived happily ever after.

whilst my motor skills have gotten better, I’m not willing to try again…

 “Vinz, I’m hungry. Why don’t we go around looking for something to eat?” I suggested.  

 From behind, I could feel the gazes of Mark and Rose. I turned around and glared at them.

you guys know how much I don’t want to play! Don’t make me! 

 The two sighed and gave up on the notion. But it seemed like Vinz wasn’t all that excited about my suggestion.

 “Huh!? But I really want to play! Look, they even have those racket things!” Vinz optimistically said.

 I placed my hands on my stomach and leaned forward a little. “Argh…ohhmy tunny is a dummy! Sorry Vinz, I’m too hungry to play right now.”

 The adults stared at me with blank looks on their faces but didn’t comment on my act. But I could tell from their expressions that they thought, ‘He doesn’t speak like that. Who is this?

 Even Vinz stared at me with a plain expression. Then, as if something sparked in his mind, he said, “U-Umm!? Then, Let’s eat at Lia’s place again!”

 …he’s really taken a liking to her, hasn’t he? I presume he wants as many friends as possible since he’s been sick all this time.

hm? Isn’t that her?

 I spotted a girl who looked exactly like Lia behind a window from a building not too far away. And from what I can tell. She seemed focused.

is she studying?

 While I was thinking, Sylvester said, “It’s a public school recently built.”  

 “Hmm? Is that so?” I replied while still glancing at Lia, who had a serious and earnest expression.

 It had me think of the words Father recently said.

if she’s really like what she seems. Then…wouldn’t she be my ideal girl?  

 She seems hardworking and compassionate, despite being so young. Not only is she cute. But oddly mature for her age.

 Sylvester probably noticed my interest in the school and began to talk more about it.

 “It was constructed four years ago, and they ensured a location suitable for youngsters filled with energy. Thus it was built near a public park,” Sylvester said. “Do you wish to take a look?” he later asked.

 I am curious. And Lia is there. I’m sure it’d make Vinz happy if we just had a little visit. But…it’s a little unreasonable. And if we reveal our identities…

 “Fret no, Lord Leon, I’ll take care of it,” Sylvester reassuringly said as if he knew about my concerns.

 Vinz, who was quietly listening with sparkly eyes, nodded.

did he spot Lia as well?

 “Good for you, Vinz. You get to see Lia again.”

 And at my remark, Vinz spaced out for a bit before he started to blush, turning tomato red. “H-Huh!? She’s there?! U-Umm! I’m not prepared!” he asked while frantically looking around.

he’s like a…puppy?

 Moments later, as we walked to the school building, Sylvester explained that it was founded by the shopping district we’ve been walking around. He said that, unlike us from wealthy families. Ordinary people didn’t have tutors at home.

well…I already knew that, though. But it’s probably something new for Vinz.  

 During the day, the children helped out at home with the family business. And during the evenings, they attend school to study.

 I find it quite strange, though, since most children, even the common folk, start school when they turn 10. And most wealthy people hire tutors for their kids to get a head start.

after all, how well you do on an entrance exam will determine whether you get into an advanced academy. Hence there are more nobles in the advanced magic academies. Sure, I believe life isn’t fair. But it's also what you make of it. And I’m very fortunate and will do my best in everything—except for tennis.

 

— :::: —

 

 Later, I found myself in quite a predicament.

 “Alright, class, I know this is a bit sudden, but we’ll have two new students starting today!” a teacher announced.

 I turned my head to Sylvester, and upon noticing my glare, he chuckled.

 “How about you two introduce yourselves?” the teacher asked with a dazzling smile.

 Vinz’s face was completely red as he gazed downwards, not looking at the rest of the class. Presumably, he doesn’t know how to introduce himself in front of them. Making matters worse, we’re incognito, and we can’t introduce ourselves the way we normally do.  

 “M-My name is Vincent! Nice to meed you all! Ah-u-um…but you can call me Vinz…”

that was…quite the—hey Sylvester! Why are you holding in your laughter!? Isn’t he your master!? 

 Then again, everybody was trying to hold in their giggles and laughter. The teacher then looked at me, and her gaze told me to introduce myself as well.

 “It’s nice meeting you all, I’m Leon, and I hope we can get along.”  

 No one made a sound as the class went completely silent. Rose and Mark looked at me as if they’d expected the outcome, and the teacher smiled but seemed troubled. Sylvester, on the other hand, seemed to enjoy himself while Vinz happily smiled.   

 I then met Lia’s eyes, and she innocently smiled and began clapping her hands, which led the other students to do the same. 

 After that, the teacher placed us in a group each to then begin the lecture. The point of it was for us to get along with the other kids and help one another out with problems we might get hung up on.

 Sylvester, Mark and Rose went somewhere—probably back to the principles office to have tea…

  Vinz and I were left with the others, and the teacher began explaining the subject, writing it down on the whiteboard. It was quite simple math and, to be specific, multiplications.

 I solved the problems one after the other without any sign of struggle. The kids in my group, however, struggled a little and asked one another for help.

 Although I finished the assignment, no one seemed to want my help. This, of course, made me feel a little left out as they asked each other instead.

is it because I’m a new kid? Or maybe not…

 Vinz got along with his group despite being a little rowdy. They asked him for help and happily chatted with one another during the process.

perhaps I’m the problem?

 …the previous me was quite the social butterfly and somehow made things work. But I don’t really get how he does it.

 Then, time passed, and I was silently doing practically nothing while the rest of the class chatted and solved issues together. Whilst I could force my way into a conversation. I don’t think they’d appreciate it.

So…I became a little bored.

 Until, suddenly, Lia approached and tapped me on the shoulder, asking, “Leon, are you already done?”

 “Yes, just a moment ago,” I replied.

 She giggled. “Really?” she asked. “Liar~” she teased before saying, “I’ve been watching you for a while, and you finished a long time ago.”

 “…..”  

 Lia then looked a little troubled and asked, “Is…the class boring?”

 I briefly glanced at Vinz, who was having fun with the other kids. Despite his awkward first impression, he had a bright smile and seemed very comfortable.

 It made me happy to see that he was enjoying himself. Lia still stared at me as she waited for me to answer. The other kids in my group were slightly curious but were staring at me and Lia in surprise. But Lia also seemed a bit surprised for some reason…

 I shook my head. “I’m not bored. I have you here, a friend whom I just made, and Vinz, who seem happy, chatting with the others.”  

 Lia turned a little red and stared at the floor, fidgeting. “U-Umm…f-friends…” she uttered while looking troubled. 

did I say something wrong again?

 “…Lia?”

 “—y-yes!?” she flusteredly answered.

 “Was it perhaps a misunderstanding on my part? That we became friends…?” I ask, tilting my head a little.

 Lia looked at me and shook her head. “N-No! I’m happy you think so!” she said.

why is she so flustered? She seemed so calm before.  

 Vinz noticed us chatting and glanced our way. He pouted a little and headed over here.

 “Leon, I’m your first friend, right!?” he…asked?

ugh…for some reason. That question hurts.

 “…affirmative,” I replied.

 Vinz smiled and smugly stared at Lia, who was surprised by his sudden interruption.

huh…didn’t he want to become her friend? Why is he so smug all of a sudden…? I don’t get it…

 Lia smiled back at Vinz, saying, “Of course! Then I must be the second friend!”

oh…she’s mature about it. Wait, what did she say…? Did she just assume she was my second friend? …tsk tsk tsk, Lia, how naïve, Lottie is my second friend! But I’m not going to correct you for now, especially in front of everyone…  

 Vinz quietly kept staring at Lia and, at one point, became red as he looked away.

 “Hmm~ what’s wrong, Vinz?” Lia teasingly asked.

 “I-I got scammed again! Ju-Just because you’re pretty, don’t think you’ve won!” Vinz shouted.

 Lia happily smiled and giggled. “You think I’m pretty~? I’m happy!”

 “Grr…”

Vinz!? You’re a prince! You’re not supposed to growl!

 The teacher came up to us, looked at me, and then at Vinz and Lia. She sighed and glanced at me again for whatever reason.

 “Emilia, Vincent, please go back to your own group,” she calmly said with a smile.

a scary smile, though.

 After what the teacher said, both of them returned to their groups with their heads down but glared at one another when they returned to their seats.  

nonverbal communication… Do they get along or not…?

 But. Her name is Emilia, huh? She’s not a character in the book, but she felt somewhat familiar.

well, my memories outside of the book and some general things are vague. Perhaps I’ll figure it out later.

 Thus, we kept studying until it was time to leave.  

10