Chapter 14: Bonds & Karma
158 4 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 One day, when everything was at its worst, I was called to Father’s office. He had a grim look on his face and with the number of papers on his desk. I knew what it was all about.

I knew what I did wrong. Of course, I did.

 The bullying and the stress I caused for everyone. The number of engagements cancelled because of me—and almost the death of Prince Vincent.

it was all caused by me.

 As frustrating as it is, maybe I should’ve stayed the weak girl I once was? Getting trampled over? Getting my food spoiled? Having my clothes ruined and my textbooks stolen?

screw that!

 I don’t regret any of it! All of them are the same: Girl? Boy? They both were utter trash.  

—the girls who selfishly tried to flirt with other boys despite having a fiancé.

—the boys who would constantly harass me, making their fiancé jealous.

In the end, it’s all hypocrisy.

—and ironically, I became like them, and I was fine with that…

But…she just had to change. Why? She fell in love? That manipulative tart.

 I couldn’t stand watching her happy after dragging me through the mud. It makes me sick. But in the end, I’m the only one deemed a villain.

 “Charlotte…do you know why I’ve called you?”

 “I do, Father.”  

 “…..”

 With a pained expression, Father sighed. “I see… Sit down; I have something to discuss.”

 “…Yes, Father.”  

 “I…*sigh* I’ve heard everything from the school. You almost had Prince Vincent killed, is that right?”

 “…..”

*Sigh*

 Father sighed yet again. He was shaking a little. “I can’t defend you…anymore, Charlotte, you’ve…gone too far.”

 “…..”

 “SAY SOMETHING!?!?

 Father erupted and crushed the table with his fists. The fire was spreading, and his eyes were empty. His eyes filled with tears, and he weakly sobbed as he buried his face in his palm.

 “…just…just…justJUST WHERE DID IT ALL GO WRONG!? I RAISED YOU WITH ALL MY LOVE! WHY DID IT TURN OUT LIKE THIS!?

—I knew how much he loved me. I…I do. Yet…I went down this path.

 “…I’m sorry…”

 It felt as if my chest were to get crushed and stabbed, and I was shaking. I’d never seen Father this devastated, not even when Mother passed.

I’ve caused all this…

 I…I don’t even have the energy anymore. It’s…perhaps better that I perish?

 While the fire erupted and burned down the room, many servants rushed in to put it out. Father sat where he was and had his empty gaze directed at me.

 “…there’s…one way to prevent prison. I’ve already decided to marry you off. You have no say in this. There will be no ceremony, nothing. You’re…exiled from ever coming back. Charlotte.”  

 “…Yes, Father…”

 “His name is Leon Shellheart. You might’ve heard of him—Thunder Lion of The North. A Dragon Slayer and The Hero who single-handedly ended the coupe in Virsha.”

 “…..”

why…to such a high-profile figure…?

 Even if I didn’t have the energy for anything, I felt shocked, and why would such a person want me…? He must’ve had a say in all of this—there’s no way he doesn’t.

 “It’s the last thing I can do for you. Charlotte.”

 “Father…”

 “Even if you die by his hands, I…I think it’s better than rotting away in a cell.”

 “…..I see.”

 “Charlotte. You’re not the once sweet girl I remember. But…I can’t hate you as your Father. It’s my responsibility.”

 “…You’re not at fault, Father…yes…after all that I’ve done, I have no say, even being a concubine…to a horrible man. I…”

 “You’re wrong. You’re going to be his wife.”

 …huh?

 “Princess Aurela broke off their engagement after she found out that he’d been badly injured. His whole face is burned away, and…he requested for the girl with the worst reputation. I…don’t know why he requested it. But I felt lucky. You would’ve been executed after rotting in the prison cell otherwise.”

 Father paused and took a deep breath. He was shaking still and took out a cigar. Igniting it with magic, he started to smoke and look out the massive hole in the wall caused by his magic.

 “…The Shellheart family reluctantly agreed since it was what their successor wanted. And you’ll technically be married into royalty… Charlotte. I beg of you. However painful, however the hardship, however the suffering. Please don’t die… You’re all that I’ve got.”

 “…yes, Father. Thank you for loving someone like me…”

 Father's face was turning red, and he clenched his fists. Tears started to run down his face.

 “…there’s a carriage outside waiting to pick you up. You should get going.”  

“…Father…I…”

I love you. Thank you for everything…

 Those were the words I wanted to say the most. But I couldn’t. Seeing how devastated he was.

I really don’t deserve a good father like him…

 

— :::: —

 

 When I woke up, I had tears in my eyes; I don’t understand why. It’s not like the servants are being mean to me and making me cry all night.

but I do remember one thing. I made Daddy cry.

I…I don’t want to see him like that. Mommy passed away, but Daddy reassured me that everything would be okay. He smiled and patted my head. Even then, I could see some slight shake. But he did his best.

 “Lady Charlotte, are you having nightmares again?” Emma asked.

 “…I don’t know. But I made Daddy sad…”

 “…I see,” Emma replied.

 “…In the dream, I was a bad girl…even now, maybe? That’s why everyone hates me…”  

 “Do you remember why you were bad…?” Emma asked.

 I shook my head, saying, “I don’t know…”

 “I see… Lady Charlotte, even though I’m new here, I can tell that you’re a kind girl. But if you stray off the right path, you can always rely on me!”

 Even though I’ve only known Emma for a short while, she’s been kind to me, and the servants aren’t mean towards me anymore. Even my stepmother was kinder when I said I wanted to change and lose weight…

 “…Thank you, Emma, I love you…”

 “Aww, Lady Charlotte, I love you too.”

 “…can you hold my hand…until I fall asleep?”

 Emma gently smiled, saying, “Of course, my Lady.”

her hands are warm—just like Father’s…and…Leon’s…

5