Chapter 15: Returning Home
120 0 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 “Lady Charlotte… Are you okay?” Emma gently asked.

*Ha…*

*Haa…*

 “I-I’m fine…” I replied.  

 I felt a bit tired, but… It wasn’t as bad as it was two weeks ago when I first started. These jogs in the morning have been getting easier and easier since Daddy hired Emma.  

 When I first told Daddy that I would stop eating sweets, he panicked! Like…like, he went wosh and waaah! And he said something like: “L-Lottie!? A-Are you sick!?” all worriedly!  

—I can live without them…but…they looked so tasty…

 “Lady Charlotte, what’s wrong?” Emma asked.

 “…I was just thinking, Daddy is about to go away for work again, but he said he’d stop by the Shellheart estate… Does Emma think Daddy would bring Lottie along?”

 Emma bent down and held my hand. She smiled but looked worried at the same time.

was it wrong for me to have asked…?

 “…I’m sure Master Atlas would be greatly troubled… The north is also infamous for having a harsh and cold climate all year round.”

 “—is it because of The Frost Pheonix?” I nervously asked.

 “…yes… The Frost Pheonix is a legendary creature who has lived in those lands since ancient times. It protects its people from the outside with harsh cold storms. However, there are blessed locations such as The Shellheart estate.”

—I have never been to cold places, but I think the winters are cold…so much so I don’t want to leave the mansion! I cannot imagine how cold it is…

 “…does that mean Daddy has to freeze every time he has to visit the northern parts?”  

 “Well…yes,” Emma said. “But there are villages and tribes here and there that allow strangers to stay for the night…”

 “Are those places blessed as well?”

 “…they are, but not to the same extent as The Shellheart estate.”

 “Why?”

 “That…I’m uncertain, Lady Charlotte. But it is speculated that The Shellheart Bloodline has made a pact with The Frost Pheonix in the past.”

 “…What is a pact?” I curiously asked.  

 “Something sacred. It’s like a promise that should never be broken:”

 “I see…a promise…”

 …I feel like I forgot something. But before I could think of what it was, Emma stood up again and said, “Let’s go for another round, my Lady.”

my legs don’t want to move more…Emma… BUT…!

 “I-I will do my best!

 

— :::: —

 

 On my last day, Vinz was teary-eyed and clung onto me, saying things like: “Nooo, can’t you just stay here?

I can’t…

 I apologised to him, and we bid our goodbyes—what about Lia? Of course, I said goodbye to her the day before. She hugged me and didn’t want to let go—very much what Vinz just did earlier.

 At that time, I’d gotten somewhat used to her hugging me whenever we met. As usual, I returned the gesture and hugged her back.

I’ve somewhat gotten better at returning them, thanks to Rachel…

 I also told Lia we’d meet again when I visit the capital or when I return to attend The Academy.

 But before I left, she gave me a handkerchief with a lion on it. It was childish, cute, and soft-looking. And now, whenever I look at it, it makes me feel warm and happy. It reminds me of Lia, her cute smile, her soft and warm hugs.

it also feels a little different from the hugs from Rachel… I don’t know how to describe it. Hmm, Vinz’s hugs feel very similar to that of Rachel’s. Now that I think about it, Father and Mother too…? I don’t really know what made the difference…

 “Miss them already?” Mother suddenly asked.

 “…a little,” I softly replied while looking at the handkerchief.

 “My my, a handmade embroidery, I wonder from whoo~?” Mother said while giggling. She then glanced at Rachel. “…At least you won’t be as lonely now that you have Rachel.”

 Rachel was beside me and hugged my arm, sleeping peacefully as she calmly breathed. Mother giggled a little as she kept looking at Rachel.  

 “Isn’t she adorable?” she asked.

 “Yes, very,” I replied. I could feel my lips curve upwards a little when looking at her peacefully sleeping like this. “Well…she can be a bit clingy—moreover selfish when it comes to other people…” I later remarked.

 “…what happened was unfortunate, but I’m happy that she opened up to you this quickly, Leon.”

 “…I’m not entirely sure why she opened up to me—honestly, I don’t think I’m suitable to be an older brother.”

 Mother curiously peered into my eyes. “Why?” she asked.

 “…Mama knows I’m not very social, right?”

 “—of course!

 “…..”  

 “A-Ahem… So…what were you trying to say, sweety?”

 “…I have a friend, a good friend that I cherish. But…I’m not great at saying what’s on my mind, nor do I understand what I feel at times—explaining the former... Anyhow, she…was hurt by me. We did make up in the end. But I don’t want to hurt Rachel as I did her… I believe it is unavoidable. Therefore, I’m uncertain I’ll manage to be a good brother to her…”

 For some reason, Mother burst out in laughter. “Hahahahaha.

—did I say something funny…?

 “Leon, Leon! You silly child~!” Mother said with teary eyes. “Aww, I was laughing so hard I cried a little…”

 “…Am I silly? Why?”  

 “Don’t think too much about it! If you can already think that far, I don’t think there will be a problem!” Mother said without answering my question. “Besides… Even Oliver and I fight at times! And like you and your friend, we made up!”

huh…? Mother and Father have fought…?  

 “Hey, why do you seem so shocked? It’s normal not to agree with one another at times.”

 “…that I do understand, but… I have difficulties imagining Mama and Papa get into a fight…”

 “Is it really that difficult to imagine…?” Mother asked while smiling and tightly gripping her sword.

—with…that…? Father and Mother have always called me strange. I wonder where I got that from…

5