Chapter 23: Hypocrisy & Equivalent Exchange
131 4 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 Suppose I could go back in time. I would. And if I could fix all my mistakes. I would. I know I promised myself to live without regrets. Even with all the things I’ve done. Live through this wretched life in this worthless city. It is as rotten as it appears.

—or so I thought.

 I got married and had a child. Even if my partner meant nothing to me, this child made my world. I raised her to the best of my ability, and suddenly. The world didn’t seem so dull and lifeless anymore. The once cold, gloomy city had become colourful. I even met great people—I made real friends for the first time…

—of course… At the core. We’re all sinners, and it seemed like punishment was due.

Dark lightning clouds consumed the whole kingdom, and there wasn’t a single day where the lightning didn’t strike. It was unnatural as there was no rain. It was nothing but pure lightning storms.

 Throughout the months, crops died, and forest fires became a huge problem. The air was polluted, and there hadn’t been an instant of sun for the past two months.

 One after the other, wealthy families fell. Then… A civil war broke out. And the royal family was on the verge of collapse. However, King Vincent and Queen Celia. As it turned out. They’ve captured the culprit for all the storms.

 Even if his name wasn’t mentioned, I know I met him once at a banquet. Thus came the day of his execution. Everyone cheered, and it was so barbaric…

—as I thought…this is but rot. But here I am, watching. I’m nothing but a hypocrite.

 But before his execution. Queen Celia whispered something into his ears with a sad look on her face.  Even if no one was able to read lips, we could all tell she apologised to him for whatever reason.

 The man had a look of astonishment and began to laugh frantically, just like a madman, as the blade made its way down to his neck. It came to a stop, and a loud metallic sound echoed throughout the plaza.

 The man’s restraints broke one after the other, and the antimagic chains froze and shattered into powder.

 Everyone was left speechless as the man said, “I was going to accept this punishment… For old times’ sake, Vincent.” The man stood up and heaved a deep sigh. He took the broken guillotine blade, mended it into a sword, and pointed the electrical blade at Queen Celia. “It’s only fair, right?”

 Guards with insulating armour jumped in front of her. But it all shattered and disintegrated into nothing, as did the men inside—no one could come close to him.

 Panic erupted, but I couldn’t take my gaze off the scene. The man fell down on his knees and coughed blood—he was already on the verge of death…

 “—an eye for an eye. Or so they say?”

 The man stabbed himself in the heart, and a massive amount of mana was released. Anyone who wasn’t adept in magic would faint, and the rest became paralysed. My skin felt ticklish, and my hair had become statically charged. Everything around me levitated, and before I realised. Everything became illuminated in pure white light.

 When I came to, I had severe burns and when I was discharged from the hospital. I came across a paper with an image of the capital city. It had twisted and bent in on itself. It looked just like The Shellheart Crest. Anywhere near the lines of the crest was highly dangerous, and if one were to touch it, they’d be incinerated.

—I’m alive, but I don’t care… I, along with many others, lost our homes and families.

 And we, The Plaza survivors, were the only ones that lived through the disaster.

 I walked toward a body of water and looked at my reflection. I looked horrible, grotesque even. I closed my eyes and let myself sink.

—what’s the point?

 As I slowly fell to the bottom of the lake, it made me think how ironic it was that I’d drown. It would’ve made more sense to be burned to ashes by her. But…she’s no longer here. Nor is my daughter. If I could go back in time and change things… I would.

—even if she’s incapable of love. Maybe the marriage would’ve been different had I tried? I’m sorry, Marie. I’m sorry that you had to leave the world before me.

 

— ::::: —

 

 While waiting for Lottie to come out in the garden. Some things got clearer in my head. I wasn’t sure why I saw an older version of her. Perhaps it’s my imagination…

 Anyhow, other than her smile. I don’t recall everything, even though I know that there was so much more. I looked up at the sky and wondered why everything was the way it was. I was born with unfamiliar memories. I sometimes wonder how my life would’ve been had I not had these memories.

 Time passed, and before I knew it, the moon was out, and the galaxy came into view. Other than the moon, other celestial bodies came into view and were magnificently displayed in the heavens. I know the term light pollution. To think he lived where he could not see such a beautiful sky…

—looking at them makes me feel so small and insignificant…

 Hearing footsteps approaching, I saw Lottie in a blue dress. Her eyes were sparkly, and her hair was glossy. Her face was slightly red.

—is it cold here?

 “Lottie, are you…cold?”

 She shook her head and continued to walk toward me. She smiled and said, “No… I’m fine.” She looked nervous as she fidgeted. “L-Leon… Why have you called me out here?”

 “…remember how we first met in a flower garden?”

 Hearing me say that, Lottie shuddered and hugged herself. “…I do.” She took a deep breath and faintly smiled. “I was scared… But I was able to meet you.”

 I gently held Lottie’s hand. “Sorry for bringing it up…”

 Lottie squeezed my hand and smiled. “Your hand is warm,” she said. “That’s is what I thought at the time as well…”

—she’s strong. Of course, she is. She didn’t snap until that point…But I won’t ever let it get to that.

 “Let’s go on a stroll. Are you okay with that?”

 Lottie nodded. “It’s an honour,” she said.

 For a moment, their smiles overlapped, and I felt stunned for a moment.

—she’s not even as chubby as they say she is. What’s wrong with their perception?

 Hand in hand, we walked in the moonlit sky. The magic stones illuminated the dark path; some of the flowers were luminescent on their own.

 “Do you like flowers?” I asked.

 “I do! They’re pretty!”

 On this little stroll of ours. We came across many different flowers and plants, but it doesn’t seem like Lottie has anything to comment on. Well… I’m not really a flower guy, as I only know how to take care of Blue Crystal Roses.

—what…do we even talk about?

 This problem was never a problem since Vinz was such a chatterbox, and Lia always had something nice to add about just anything…

Ugh… I feel strangely nervous. I mean… I usually am quiet, but I feel restless and unable to say anything. What do I even say? What sort of conversation should we have?

 “…Lottie, about this engagement. Are you against it?”

—wait? What am I even asking a seven-year-old? Wait, I’m the same age. So it should be fine? But…it hasn’t been her birthday yet, though…

 Lottie became flustered by the question and started to fidget around. She played with her hair, and her eyes darted around the garden.  

 “U-UmmI’m not against it… I-l like you, Leon. That is why This is rather preferable…

 “I see… I’m glad to hear that. I’m glad you’re my fiance.”

—even though I say all of this. I’m not sure of all the implications. I’m sure she has no idea what she’s getting into as well…

 “I-I see,” Lottie happily smiled and hugged my arm. “I thought that you disliked the idea… being with a girl like me…”

 “…why would you say that?”

 “…you see, Leon… Except for my parents, you’re the first to call me c-cute or p-pretty…” Lottie looked downwards as if feeling shame. “I’m often called. “fatty” or “ugly”. I felt very, very sad for a long time. But despite what everyone else said. You told me that I was cute… I want to live up to that—that’s why I’m trying my best in various ways…

—I want to say what they said wasn’t true. But that would be denying her experiences and the hard work she puts in.

 “You did well, Charlotte.”  

 I unconsciously utter those words. Lottie lifted her head, and our eyes met. Her eyes were filled with surprise, just as mine were. Tears started to run down her face as she giggled. “I’ll try even harder, Leon!”

 “…..”

—again…

Unconsciously, I reached out my hand toward her head and lightly flicked Lottie’s forehead.

 “Uh! L-Leon, you meanie!”

—Leon, you meanie!

 I let out a small chuckle.

—Charlotte…

 “Lottie, don’t overwork yourself.”

 

 

 

 

 

6