Chapter 44 – Mid-Master Rank
48 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Hello, dear readers! Here's chapter 44! We're getting closer to the cultivation proper.

Anyway, enjoy the chapter!

See ya Friday for the second weekly free chapter!

 

Announcements:

-Don't hesitate to Follow, Review, Favorite, Power stone, share etc. (Depends on the platform you're currently reading on) if you like my different novels. It helps a lot with growing the number of readers.

 

-I've set up a Stripe page, so if you feel like making a one time donation of any amount, don't hesitate to swing by. Thank you in advance! https://buy.stripe.com/4gwdTHfLo2fR2Xu6oo

 

-If you prefer having something 'tangible' for your donation, you can visit my patreon page.

My patreon: patreon.com/CalmWanderer  (11+ advanced chapters available)

To all my Patrons: Thank you very much for your support!

 

For those interested, I'm also writing a fanfiction in the world of Marvel with a lot of elements from The Knight's Multiverse:

‘Ben Parker, a former Special Forces’ Team Captain, husband of May Parker and uncle of Peter Parker, with three Perks granted to him by an unknown entity, will have to grow his cultivation along his loved ones and teammates while navigating the Earth, a planet full of interesting but dangerous secrets.

https://www.scribblehub.com/read/796814-my-name-is-ben-parker-the-knights-multiverse-x-mcu/chapter/796819/

******************

Damovotsk, Molkovia, Earth.
 
Demian's P.O.V.
 
He already had some guesses about his current power level, however, her words made him plainly realize how 'crazy' his sudden power-up was. “Mid Master Rank...” He mumbled dazedly. His shock was swiftly interrupted by the voice of his Aunt who asked. “You said earlier that you felt like you broke through yesterday afternoon. What was that about?”
 
Shaking his head to wake himself up, he responded while trying to remember what happened the previous day. “I... I was with Sera on the beach and... I think I had some kind of mental realization... Mmhh... Right! It was about how worried I'd been the last few weeks and the stress was starting to get to me. But when I saw the peaceful scene of the waves washing on the sandy beach, it felt like all that worry vanished, leaving my mind completely relaxed...”
 
Focusing his gaze back to the three girls, he continued. “That's when I felt something change in my body and my strength increased by a lot. Or at least, that's the sensation I got. I didn't get to test it much and since I get stronger every day, it could have been my imagination.”
 
Nodding her head, his mature Aunt replied. “So, by having some kind of mental breakthrough, you've also become physically stronger... I wonder if it's also applicable to normal people or if it's simply because of your physical perk...” She pondered for a second before her train of thought was interrupted by the youngest redhead. “Actually, Mom. I think I know what happened. Or at least I've got some inklings.”
 
With an intrigued look on her face, the middle-aged woman demanded. “Tell me, then. I'm really curious.” Nodding her head, Sera answered. “It should have something to do with an Asian concept called enlightenment. I've heard of it a lot from the novels I read in the past.” Demian confirmed her words by saying. “That's what I thought too.”
 
Before her mother could ask the obvious question, the young woman continued. “It's a special state of mind that can help one breakthrough to a higher level of strength, or understand a certain technique that was previously too complicated.” With a thoughtful look on her face, the female doctor commented. “That's fascinating. Hopefully, I'll be able to study that phenomenon in the future...”
 
Shrugging her shoulders, Sera retorted. “In those books, that special state appears at random, so I wouldn't expect too much if I were you, Mom.” Nodding her head, Adeliya stated. “We'll see how it goes. Maybe we'll be lucky to experience it again.” Pausing for a second, she suddenly changed the topic of conversation.
 
“In any case, I already told Bryn earlier, but I forgot to tell the two of you. I got in touch with a few of my contacts about finding an information broker in the city and they directed me toward a certain place.” Cocking his eyebrow, Demian asked. “And how does it work? Are we supposed to show up there randomly or do we have to get an appointment?”
 
“The latter.” She responded, adding. “And I booked one tonight at 9.” Tilting her head slightly, Sera said. “I'm guessing that you want to go Mom?” Her mother responded. “Yes. Since I'm in contact with the people in power in this city, it's better that I show my face.” Nodding her head, the petite redhead added. “But you can't go alone. It'd be too dangerous.”
 
With a nod of her head, the female doctor replied. “That's what Bryn and I were chatting about before you both joined us.” Scratching his clean-shaven cheek, Demian stated. “I think I should be the one to go with you, Aunty. Bryn should stay here to protect Sera.” Bryn shook her head before declaring. “You're too weak. You wouldn't be able to protect Mom if the situation went out of control.”
 
Not taking her criticism to heart, he replied while shaking his head. “Although you're right about me being weaker than you, you forgot about a few things.” Noticing the doubts on her face, he continued. “First, my body can heal up a lot faster than yours, which means I can take much more damage than you without as many long-term consequences. Second, we're going to get information, not to fight. So there's no real need for our stronger fighter, you, to go there.”
 
The last fact, although not meant as a compliment, elicited a small smile from the tall woman. “The last point is the fact that no one knows my current strength. Don't forget that less than two months ago, I hadn't even reached the Athlete Rank.” His point made the three women ponder silently for a few seconds before Adeliya raised a valid point.
 
“What about your physique, though? I mean, if we hadn't witnessed your transformation from the beginning, I'm pretty sure that none of us would be able to recognize you instantly. It's pretty obvious something happened to you...” A slight frown appeared on his face at her words. “I didn't think about that...” Shaking his head, he added. “It doesn't change my opinion though. I still think that I should go.”
 
Bryn was about to speak when she was cut off by the youngest woman's voice. “Actually, the fact that Dem changed so much may be a good thing. The people targeting us will probably hesitate to do anything until they can make sure of his identity. Not only that but there's a very low chance that they can guess his current level of strength. At most, they'd think he's at the Elite Rank. That'd give us a big edge, especially at the speed Dem is growing.”
 
Following her arguments, the four chatted for a bit more before deciding to go with the two youngest's plan. Demian would go with Adeliya to the appointment and Bryn would stay with her sister at home. The tall redhead was not thrilled by the idea, but with three votes against hers, she had to follow the general consensus. Of course, Demian knew that the main reason why she relented was because she felt like the others' arguments made sense and both her mother and him would be safe, or at least as safe as going to see a shady information broker could be.
 
Once the decision was made, Adeliya declared. “You can do whatever you want, but I'm going to take a nap. I'm exhausted!” She started moving toward the door before halting briefly and turning her head toward the two youngest. With a half-teasing half-serious smile on her face, she claimed. “Next time you want to do it, try to be a bit more discreet. Especially you, Sera.” The woman then resumed walking toward the entrance door.
 
Her words elicited an embarrassed cough from Demian while Sera's cheeks turned red and her body froze briefly. It only lasted a brief moment, though, before the two quickly put their clothes back on their bodies and Demian said with an anticipatory grin. “Since we've got til tonight, why don't we test my new physical specs with some sparring.”
 
Staring at him with a deadpan gaze, Bryn then shook her head while commenting. “I feel like you've become a bigger battle junkie than I am.” Giggling at her words, Sera then nodded vehemently, declaring. “He is, isn't he? It's as if he'd die if he didn't get beaten up every day.”
 
Rolling his eyes, Demian protested. “First, it's not being beaten up, but fighting against a stronger opponent. And second, the reason I love it is because of the constant progress I make every day. Any small effort I make is rewarded by an increase in my physical stats and the bigger the effort, the bigger the gain. How can I not love it?”
 
The two women nodded at his explanation. “I was just teasing you, Babe.” Sera said with a mischievous smile on her face while Bryn retorted thoughtfully. “I get it. I'm a bit envious, to be honest.” She halted for a second before moving her gaze toward the petite redhead. “Since you've reached the Elite Level, little Sis, I'll teach you some fighting techniques.”
 
Looking at the confused expression her sister sported, the tall woman added. “I know you can't see anything, but with the increase in your senses and physical coordination, it'd be best to learn how to move your body correctly. And since I'm sure the two of you will keep... doing it...” Those last words made an unconscious frown appear on her face but did not stop her from continuing.
 
“...Your physical attributes will keep increasing with time, making it even easier for you to sense what's around you.” Her explanation brought a thoughtful look on the petite woman's face who replied. “That makes sense... Alright, I'll listen to you, Big Sis!” Before Bryn started to teach her sister, she briefly looked toward Demian and instructed.
 
“You can train your body while I teach Sera. We can spar afterwards.” Nodding to her, he then went to the weight section and selected one that seemed to fit his new physical strength. 'Thank God it was Big Sis who stocked up on the weights here, or there's no way I'd find one heavy enough to help me progress!' He thought while starting with some arm curl reps.
 
To maximize his growth, the young man preferred to follow a strength-oriented training instead of a bodybuilding-oriented training. Although the two had many similarities, the former used heavier weights with shorter sets to build strength, while the latter used relatively lighter weights with longer sets to build bigger-looking muscles.
 
Since he had his physical Perk which both helped every part of his body grow simultaneously and helped him regain his stamina a lot faster than someone on his level should, it was best to use heavier weights. At least, that's what he and Bryn came up with for his training, and from the results he was getting, it seemed to have worked really well.
 
As his practice went on, Demian felt more and more astonished at his newfound prowess. Indeed, unlike before when he could still feel his stamina decrease if the training intensity reached a certain degree, this time he felt as if he had endless energy. Not endless in terms of quantity, although the latter was clearly a lot higher than previously, but more like its regeneration became incredibly high. Even higher than someone of his Rank should possess.
 
After all, he participated in many of Bryn's practices before, so he had a basis for his judgment. 'It had to come from my Physical Perk! If that's true, that means that my perks will grow with my power level...' He thought while feeling very pleased.
 
His training lasted for around an hour, after which Bryn let Sera exercise alone and gestured for him to move to the mats where they usually sparred. Once there, the two stretched their body for a moment before they both got into a fighting stance. “Ready?” Bryn asked, seemingly unaware of the anticipatory grin she sported.
 
“I was born ready!” Demian responded while chuckling lightly, the smile on his face strangely similar to his older cousin. As soon as his words left his lips, the two dashed toward each other at a speed almost imperceptible for an untrained person and started exchanging ferocious punches and kicks.
 
The intensity of the spar was on the relatively lower end at first since Demian was not completely familiar with his precise physical capabilities and Bryn was aware of that fact. However, as time passed by, the young man began to grow more and more used to his new agility, strength, and body coordination, he pushed his body to be faster and faster. His powerful cousin followed his rhythm, bringing the two into an incredibly quick exchange that would have been impossible for Demian to resist a few days ago.
 
As his fighting experience was much lower, however, the brown-haired man obviously found himself on the receiving end of most of the hits that would have incapacitated an Elite Rank fighter in a few seconds, while a Master Rank could have held on for at most a few minutes, if even that. Of course, none of those hits aimed to break the bones, but even muscle injuries could pile up and put someone out of commission quickly.
 
Demian, however, still held on despite looking battered all over, except his face and groins. After all, this time they did not use protecting gear, so hits to the face and private areas were too dangerous. Especially the latter. And the only reason they did not use any gear was simply because the healing rate of an average Master Rank was much higher than an untrained person, let alone Demian with his perk and Bryn who was at the peak of the Master Rank.
 
All in all, the two kept fighting for a while before Bryn suddenly put a stop to it due to their respective exhaustion. After all, the more tired they were, the higher the chance for a dangerous mistake to occur, and at their level of strength, that could turn fatal for either of them. That was clearly not the goal.
 
Once the two stopped, the young man's gaze was attracted to the figure of his older cousin. Unlike in their previous spars, the young woman was breathing heavily while sweat ran down her face and body, the latter being covered by her usual long-sleeved shirt and a pair of sports tights. The sight was strangely attractive, but the young man did not focus his mind on that, but instead on the fact that he could finally tire his previously perceived invincible cousin.
 
The price was steep, though. While gasping for breath and with his clothes soaked with perspiration, he quickly examined his sore body, finding darkening bruises everywhere his clothes did not cover. With a wry smile, he commented while gasping for breath. “That was fun... But damn... It hurts!” The tall redhead chuckled with difficulty at his words before replying. “You're... Getting better... But you still... Have a long... Long way to go!”
 
Amused at her half-baked compliment, he shook his head and stated. “One step... at a time... Big Sis!...” “True!” She retorted without her usual negative comment. The two then sat down on the ground to recover their expanded energy. Demian was the first to regain his breath and even his stamina filled up relatively swiftly. Bryn still needed a bit more time, though.
 
Standing up, he looked at her and said. “I'll work out while my body heals up a bit from our spar. Do you want to continue after I feel better?” The tall redhead nodded her head and claimed. “Sure.” Before taking a few sips from the bottle of water on the side.
3