Chapter Thirty Seven: When did you get here?(Null Tournament Arc)
0 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"I'm Liu. I was just passing by when I felt that mana. It felt like it was aimed. I am curious about you." She looked at mysterious man. "And who would be so interesting to have that aimed at them...outside the arena."

"I'm Ed. What was that about?"

"Hmmm, I am not sure if you noticed, but I am in disguise, but you can call me Blue," the tall man answered.

"I get it, because of your hair," Liu said.

"Look at you finally paying attention, but no. It is because I am a bit sad that I can't tell you my real name." The tall man laughed to himself. "You see I am one of the most wanted men in the empire, but I like to help people. I also like to have fun, so what do you say headband...I mean Ed. Want to fly through the kingdom and see who can find the cat first?"

Jack felt a ferocity behind the cryptic blue eyes. Liu walked beside Jack and leaned on him. "You sure are interested in this guy. Should I know you? Never mind, it will be both of us against you. What do you think Blue?"

"Sure, the more the merrier." Blue looked at Stella, but her hands went up and expression made it clear that it would be one vs two. Luna held onto her. "You guys can get a head start."

Stella looked at her friend flash away. The girl used green to take her to the roof instantly, but Jack would catch her before she gets time to load another Wind Walk. He was good at that. Exceptional even, most would have a hard time keeping up with him, but here is that man just standing in the same place. A head start this long? Is this a trick?

"Have a plan or something?" Stella asked.

"Nope, just giving them a fair advantage," Blue answered.

"Quite confident." Stella walked over to the two children before turning back to Blue. "You don't mind right? You are done here?"

"Go ahead."

"Hey, let's go wait somewhere else okay. These streets can be busy. How about that apple pie?"

The children gripped each of Stella's hands and stayed at her side, while Luna made a path through the crowd. The boy giving a guiding finger to their choice of apple pie vendor. Blue in tow just observing the ashen hair girl walk with them behind a wooden stand.

"Hey, I got some tokens here for you if you agree to look after these kids for a bit."

"Ai, I have seens dems around befer. No problem," the grizzled middle-aged man said with a smile.

"Okay, and three apple pies please." Stella bent down. "Stay here and that man or my friend will be back okay. What are your names?"

"I am Sebastian, and this is Zoe."

"Nice to meet you. Don't do anything like this again okay, your mom will really kill you, but you were brave, and I am proud of you. If anything happens like this again, you come here okay, but don't let it happen again."

"I would ta perfur they don't come ere, but ai, ya safe here." The gruff vendor brought out three slices.

"One for me?" Blue dragged his boots inches forward towards the unmanned plate. Luna quickly grabbed it and shot a look that could have sent all the wisps away. "Huh, you are good with kids St...Missy."

"I wasn't always, but through some travels and situations, I ended up being around them a lot." Stella slid to her left to make room for the expanding line. The vendor and his workers managing the frenzy well.

"Snuwffwell!" The little girl darted from her seat causing the remainder of her slice to go airborne, but a tall man was prepared, grabbing it before it became uneatable, slipping it under the scarf. Everyone else followed Zoe's pitter patter on the stone towards a boy with orange hair and hawk eyes holding a white and orange creature with cat eyes.

"That is a good sign. I better get going," Blue said.

"Tell—" Stella's words hung in the air. "They will be fine. Where did you find him?"

The boy released his grip on the fur behind the cat's shoulders and into the little girl's arms, immediately attacking the stuff toy. Stella looked at the fresh, red scratches on his cheek. Whoever he was, the fight must not have been easy. The battle scars should tell a good story.

"Gave it apple pie. Checked the crowd," he answered.

"Oh." Stella blinked a couple times waiting to see if there was more. "Well thank you. What is your name?"

"Roland," he said.

"Goodness, you talk less that Luna," Stella mumbled but still drew the hawk eyes to her, "You don't look like a Roland." She laughed, but the boy started walking away after a scoff. "I am Lan—"

"I didn't ask." Roland was past her already, but she puffed her cheeks and flared her nose regardless.

"Fine, you are still a good guy, and you can't fool me. Come on Sebastian, Zoe, let's get you guys home." Stella stretched each hand for them to take hold.

"I am going that way. I can take them," Roland said. Stella raised an eyebrow and looked at the children. Sebastian gave her a shrug.

"It's just at the end of the street," the young boy said.

"I can see it from here. You sure Roland?" Stella asked.

"Yea. The arena was full. I'm going that way." Roland only using his eyes and the slightest chin movement as indication. Stella felt her eyes squint involuntarily, wondering if to utter a reply.

"Thanks...I guess." Stella waved to the children as they took his hand. "Wait, does that mean that I can't get into the arena!"

Roland scoffed and walked away without a response. Stella used her bottom set of teeth to sharpen the top. Her knuckles cracking with an awkward delay, as if the task took more effort than it normally requires. Blue mimics gathered in her hand and the corner of her mouth crooked up to a smile. A little water ball isn't that bad. The vendor's laugh caused Stella to disperse the blue and her breath. She waited until they made their way into a building, before walking behind the now, less busy stall and taking a seat.

"Damn, I really wanted to get into the arena." Stella put her boots up on a crate. The vendor dropped a plate of apple pie on her lap. Luna rushed over found a seat next to her. "How good is their security?"

The man laughed. "Ya real funny ashen one. I don think it be easy."

Stella pouted again and scratched her head. Her boots tapping and eyes floating at the top left corner, not looking at the vendor but her thoughts drifted from there. She awaited an epiphany, but nothing.

"Looks like you are going to pop a vein," Tenny said, appearing on the wooden counter facing Stella. The vendor's eyes bulged, at the magic fuzzball, then fell on Stella's head movement telling him not make a big deal. He swallowed his breath and opened his mouth, but it looked like he didn't know where to start. "Is that apple pie?"

"What are you doing here?" Stella leaned forward and dusted the countless crumbs from the creature's chin and tiny snout. She had no idea why the uneaten scraps bothered her so much right now, but she couldn't look at them any longer. Her sister didn't hesitate to grab a piece of the pie and jam it back at the creature. Stella's eye twitched while waiting for a response as crumbs coated more of him.

"We came to drop gifts for Lana." Tana's voice stole the air. The young girl peaked her head past the fur to see her approaching and King close behind carrying a sack. Tenny outstretched his arms to relieve her of the pie holding duty as she ran to the shy boy opening the goods. "Where is Jack?"

"It is a long story, but Ed is looking for a cat that is already found with some scary guy in a scarf with blue hair and an interesting girl." Stella resumed her crumb removal after Tenny's last bite.

"Um...ter fella you talkin bout isn't too scary. He bin ere since this year's tourney start lass month." Stella looked over to see the vendor was looking at his new potential customers, but with red blush under his eyes.

"Hmm, well let me introduce you guys. This is...Pie man?" Stella waited for man to correct her.

"I like Pie Man. Simple te member, an does de advertising for meh." He turned to Tana, begging for an opinion with his eyes.

"Well, Pie Man, I like this nickname energy we are on." Stella stood up and looked at all of them, then scoffed when all eyes fell on her. "You thought I was funny. This is going to get wild. This little ball of fur here is an impossibility, so we will call him Miracle.

"That silver hair one was recently dead, so we can call her Mirac...maybe Ghost." Luna's thumbs up allowed Stella to shift her gaze. "Believe it or not, but that shy guy over there is a dragon. Hard to believe right, but he isn't such a big fan of that so we will call him Gold. He is rare and those eyes shine right.

"Last we have the sweetheart with a serious addiction to cards that frightens all of us."

"Aw, stop. I'm not nearly that cool." Tana shyly covered her smiling face.

"Was that a compliment?" Stella mumbled to the Mystical Creature.

"I don't think so, but I guess it can be."

"And pretty..." Pie Man said. Stella wondered if he heard anything else.

"Sorry friend. I think she likes a little more facial hair." Stella got his head to turn while he stroked his chin. "Sorry friend, you had the wrong idea there. Shark likes the moustache."

"Shark? Am I Shark? And I don't like the moustache!"

"Yes, you are, and I am Ashe because of my hair." Stella drew the eyes of two team members. "Where is he?"

They took turns explaining the situation to each other, with a bit extra for the sake of Pie Man. He had completely ignored the incoming customers to invest into their discussion, very much to the dismay of the other workers. Stella couldn't help but feel a little down hearing about Ace and telling them about Jack. Everyone was already doing things they wanted to, but she would have to wait.

"Ugh..." The sound escaped her.

"Aw. Why don't you come back with us?" Tana mentioned. "If you can't go to the arena, then let's go have some fun."

"Nah, I don't really feel up to working right now. I will just wait for Jack." Stella's eyes fell on crowds pushing their way towards the arena. Why would they still be going? The thunderous voice they waited on was announcing a winner, but the cheers from inside overtook the information. Stella finally looked back when a gust of wind replaced the space the Mystical Creature occupied.

"How about you Lana?" Tana asked. Everyone, but the Pie Man, ignored the disappearing act.

Luna pointed to Stella and then to her own forehead. "Explode."

Tana and King laughed at the simple word, but Stella turned red as if it was about to happen right now. "I just feel a little misera—"

"Ed is okay. He is running around with the others yelling 'Snuffles'. It was funny." Tenny smiled but then his mismatched eyes locked onto the Ice Queen. They narrowed slightly and his fangs peaked in a smile. "The security is the worst directly on the western side. There are still around 15 guys, but they look relaxed and much more openings."

Stella's eyes sparkled and hands slammed the counter. She leaned her weight and looked off into the crowd. She mumbled, "West."

"Lande." Tana grabbed her hands. "We have to be carefu—"

"Oi! Oi Zeke!" Pie Man deafened them. "Luks like yer lucky day Miss Ashe."

"Did you call for me Mr. Adio?" A boy with wafting pink curls joined them. His cheeks were peppered, and sharp features assembled his face. He was quite tall and had a skinny figure, but the scar above his right eye and one peaking from behind his collar made Stella think that he was adept with the build.

"Yer going in d arena dey? Tek dis one ere for meh." Pie Man pointed to Stella wearing a puzzled expression. Her eyes sparkled when the dialect finally translated in her mind. Her eye star met with one from the tall man lost in violet. "Wah yer say?"

"Oh sure. I am Zeke. It is nice to meet you. I would love to take you with me to the arena."

"You can really get me in? You can call me...Ashe."

"Yea, I have access to a reserved area, so I can take all of you." Only Zeke's freckles remained red after he looked around to the rest of the crowd.

"Just those two would be more than enough," Tana said. King hid behind her as if they would have taken him there forcefully.

"Thank you so much! This is great! Thank you too Pie Man!" Stella slapped him on the shoulder. His eyes stealing quick looks at Tana's expression.

"Don't mention it." His face red, after a soft smile Tana wore often appeared. Stella wondered if he would mistake that smile. How many people seem to? Stella knew that was just who Tana is, but it could be deadly. Deadly enough to get her into the arena. Thank the Shark.

***

Deafening. The sound was the only thing Stella could concentrate on while walking through some narrow corridors. Stone walls holding dim electrical lights was the only sight present, so her eyes fell on the footsteps of their guide, and her ears perked at every wave of cheer or collective gasp. Images flowing in her head of a heated battle, but the big moments never lining up with the sound of reality. She couldn't wait. Zeke promised that it was just at the top of this very long staircase. Very very long staircase.

The passageways were used as hidden paths for competitors and staff to move around the arena without worrying about the public. There were nicer passages, some with elevators, but different days gave different access to keep things running smoothly. Zeke apologised far too many times for the route they had to use, but Stella zoned out after a couple, just waiting for the corridor to open. And it was spectacular.

Her eyes took seconds to adjust to the dim but contrasting sunlight, but they first revealed their ridiculous height above the massive, tiled slab at the centre of the structure. Stella knew it would make sense that everything would be built around the stage, but to see every intricate detail in the structure point her eyes back to the warriors clashing below them was hypnotic. She saw a sword swing from a combatant only to look at another part of the structure guiding her sight to the deflection of a different strike. Her sight falling on a random crowd member looking down at the man dodging the heavy stomp. That division of stone now cracked. She looked higher this time to see a circle above them holding the passing sky while a cemented circle bordered it to meet the walls.

Stella looked down at her feet to see faint sunlight passing through the opening. She turned back to see the muted line of shade a couple feet behind them and how it ran all along the top level they were on. The same top level that separated into higher and lower sections to converge once again. Intricate cut aways and divisions making up boxes at select locations, each with their own thematic style.

Stella then looked to her hands holding the railings and leaned over to see that the level she was on had created its own shadow to protect the higher seats. Each seating going down and closer to the stage. Oh, how the view must be from there. Much closer to the image she saw in her head while walking here. Her eyes following each step to the fight. Just in time to see one man use his shoulder to drive off his enemy and a surprise red orb to blast him off the edge. The anticipated sound of a falling man was replaced with the eruption of thousands. Many thousands.

"Amazing, isn't it?" Zeke leaned over to Stella. Close enough to be heard over hysteria. The little amount of his voice that made it to her ear caused her to misjudge his distance when turning her face. Her cheek pressed against his before she pulled away to see his complexion match his freckles again. The sound of the audience finally coming to a palatable level, but the low emittance of a growl snapped them both into attention.

"Luna, stop." Stella fluffed her sister's hair. "Yea it is quite amazing. Thank you for doing this."

"If it isn't the princess!"

Stella pivoted on her heel instantly. Her head tilted down, eyebrows raised, and jaw hung slightly open as she looked at three men walking their way. The centre was a few steps ahead wearing a smirk but dragging his short bulky frame. There was one with an athletic build and much more balanced with his height, and the other was tall and skinny. Both seemed to be struggling to keep a pace slower than the drag of their highlighted leader.

"What did you call me?" Stella snarled.

"No one was talking to you lady," the centre spoke, "Who would call someone wearing rags like yours a princess? I am talking to this girl over here."

"I am surprised to see you with a girl, boy lover," the tall one mocked.

"I'll ignore you insulting my clothes, but boy lover?" Stella looked to Zeke. "Isn't that normal?"

"It isn't unusual, but it isn't technically common in Tells, but I do like girls, they are just giving me a hard time."

"I kind of understand that, but it just didn't make sense. In Cartina we don't even talk about it because it just is, but I don't mind looking for a fight." Stella walked ahead with her knuckles cracked.

"Oi, get your bodyguard," the final one spoke, "There is a Century right there."

Stella stopped to look around, but Zeke took her by the arm and returned her a few steps. The centre one began walking away already. "Good you know your place outside the ring. I can't wait to remind you that you don't belong with us in there tomorrow either."

Stella felt her blood raise temperature more and more as they walked away. "Why didn't you let me deal with them?"

"There are rules about fighting outside the ring. It happens enough, but Centurys have free reign to enforce the rules the way they want. They are an elite group that made names for themselves as soldiers and decided to retire in a different way. All of them led by a former General that helps organise all the tournaments. Those guys were afraid of getting hurt and affecting their performance in tomorrow's tournament or simply being disqualified."

"Fine. Thanks for the save then." Stella walked over to the railing again. She looked down at the attention grabber waiting like the majority. Her mind bothered by the three for second time, feeling like she has dealt with them before. "What was their problem? Are they normally like this?"

"Them? They are harmless. Bolan the short one is a bit of a fighter, but Steve and Noel are fancy walking sticks for when he loses. They don't bother me, but they aren't wrong about me not belonging here."

"THE RUMBLEEEEEEEE IS READYYYYYYYY!" A loud voice rattled the arena. Screams following his theatrics. Stella's eyes widened and breath escaped her. "And for this match, we have the new fighter that has been taking the arena by the throat. THE HUNTRESS!"

"Oh! It is finally starting! I am excited." Stella leaned over the banister to a distance that made her guide and sister nervous. "But I am still listening, you can continue."

Around the stage had four paths of stone tiles embedded into the swaying sand. The tiles extended into massive doorways, peaked at the centre and dressed in bricks, but no door in any of them. Just unlit tunnels holding shadows from which a woman emerged with the screaming of the crowd. Stella looked around to see the faces carrying such excitement before looking back at the woman protected by a single shoulder guard and bracers. A green top loosely hung from her and silver pleated skirt flowed above her brown boots. Her hair was tied and hidden in a scarf, with locks of green flowing from gaps, and her face covered in a plain mask of blank features broken to expose her lips and jaw.

"Thanks. I am just here in the tournament because of my brother," Zeke said.

"And NOW we have the debut of a warrior you are sure not to forget. The Giant of Befal Village, DRANE!" This announcement clearly garnered a smaller applause, but still much louder than any crowd she heard before. The cheers transformed into gasps when a gigantic hand gripped the stonework dressing the end of the tunnel. A large sandal was next to enter the light and onto the tile with a large thud. Stella knew it must be her imagination, there was no way she felt that step way up there. His trudge towards the already waiting opponent made Stella grip the metalwork and bite down on her teeth when the man three times the size of Vidar stood in front of The Huntress.

"...close since growing up. We actually come from influential family. The Mups have a lot of pull in Mera and Tells. We often help organise the..."

"The fight will end with a ring out, knock out or when one opponent can't take it anymore!" The mysterious voice guided the audience to boos. "No death, only action. Anyone to interfere or break the arena rules will, of course, be disqualified. Now! Fight!"

The giant's long unruly hair swayed to one side after a punch twisted his jaw slightly. Stella imagined a shockwave carrying the sound that reverberated to even them, but the giant looked unphased. His feet in the same place. His head slowly returned to look at the frozen woman standing in front of him.

"...he has just been causing so much trouble with the gambling addiction that they couldn't take it anymore. His entire share is almost gone..."

"Mhmm," Stella said.

The Huntress waited for the giant to move first. Her expression hidden but her movement was still fluid and carried a confidence in a menacing situation. Another tile cracked by Drane's punch, and another narrow dodge from the lady. Why wasn't she finding distance?

"...and now they want me to fight to get to know this Jester guy that keeps losing my bother's money. I mean I can fight, but they expect it to be super easy..."

"How does your brother know the Jester guy?" Stella dragged her words, eyes still forward.

"I am not sure. No one really knows about the Jester. He keeps his identity hidden..."

It was another narrow dodge but this time The Huntress made use of her opponent's hand touching the ground and created a spiralling earth mimic to flow around his arm and over his shoulder, binding him to that position. She dashed away with green and approached from various angles, throwing yellow pillars from the ground at the man. Stella clenched the railing harder. That was amazing.

"...I think it has something to do with our childhood friend, but she is hard to talk to now..."

"Oh, that sucks." Stella took a quick glance at guide, but his eyes were bouncing around close to her direction constantly sparkling when meeting her eyes. Cheeks red and hand movements that would injure everyone here if mimics were emitted from them. He sure can talk.

Drane had taken to one knee, but a massive swing of his free arm smashed through stationary and moving pillars causing The Huntress to roll back. He ran at the down opponent. His movements too slow to reach the woman dashing away. Her body, low to the ground, changing direction by gripping into the tile. It was like an animal. Her dash forward was unpredictable and quickly into the large gaps in his defence. Her strikes were vicious and clawed. Her footwork was strong and steady, minimal when attacking. But above all, it was effective. Drawn blood dirtied the floor and coated the giant. More and more red without a fire wisp in sight.

"...so tomorrow, not only will I..."

Luna took grab of Stella's sleeve. "Big sis."

Stella followed her sister's finger to a realisation. "It...could be. You sure?" Stella looked at the nod.

"You know the huntress?" Zeke asked.

"Maybe. Can we meet her? Can you help us?" Stella turned to him. He immediately looked away.

"I should be able to help. Let me just go talk to some people." Zeke shuffled away, glancing back before heading into one of the rooms nearby.

Stella looked back down to see The Huntress holding Drane by his unruly hair. His stomach flat on the ground with only his head facing forward, eyes rolled back. Stella was wondering why everything was silent. She must have won. Shock. This was the arena of battles, but everyone knew they witnessed an amazing fight.

"The winner is...The Huntress!" The guiding voice started the cheers. The masked woman raising her bloodied hand in the air to catch the praise. Maybe to ignite it more. A couple more bows and she retreated to the same tunnel she entered from before floods of people rushed to the stage to change damaged tiles and clean the ones that could still be used.

"Okay. We are in. We can go meet her backstage." Zeke startled her.

"Thank you so much. You really are my hero today." Stella took his hand.

"I-it's no problem, Ashe." He swallowed his nerves. "I am really glad to help you."

***

Zeke wasn't wrong about the nicer pathways. Stella was amazed at the intricate designs and lavish features hidden away before they arrived at a modest area, still nicer than most places her recent travels presented. Anxiously standing in the hallway of doors behind Zeke, his knock elevated the tension. It could be their friend, but if it wasn't then they were about to meet an amazing warrior that stole the hearts of a kingdom. Something Stella wants to do as soon as possible.

"Give me a second." Audible shuffles seeped through the door. Zeke turned around and mouthed a word while partially covering the rest of his face. "Come in."

"Sorry to bother you, Miss Huntress." Zeke slowly opened the door and pushed his head in.

"Who are you? You aren't the normal guy with the purse. Need something?" the woman called.

The door opened fully, and Stella saw the masked warrior sitting on a wooden bench surrounded by walls of wooden lockers. The Huntress was focused on putting her armour in a bag, but this time her long green hair flowed past her shoulders.

"I am one of the organisers, and I stumbled on some fans tha—"

"That you sis? What are you doing in Tells?" Stella interrupted.

The masked spun in their direction. Hollow eyes staring at her until two fingers sunk into them and raised the mask above her face. Her freckles floating over her slightly open mouth and below the forming tears.

Luna gripped Stella's sleeve again, this time a soft smile on her face while pointing to the warrior. Stella nodded. "Luna was sure it was you. What are you doing here? What about the orphanage?"

Ophelia stood up and walked towards them. The mask slipped from her fingers, clanking on the ground. Her pace quickened. Zeke in front of her.

"Move pretty boy." A slight shove alerted their guide as he continued to watch in shock. Her bicep pressed on Stella's shoulders and constricting her entire body. Her hand pushing down on the back of Stella's neck and the other firmly planted on Stella's back, who was now pinned between the warrior's chest and the forceful arm. Stella's arms raised and gripped each other across Ophelia. Her head falling into the shoulders of her friend and a warmth built in her chest. She wasn't sure why she was fighting tears at the moment, or why this hug was exactly what she felt like she needed, but she was grateful for it indeed.

Ophelia pushed her off and looked at her face. Her hands pressed on Stella's cheeks and moved her face around to her will, inspecting every angle she decided. "You look good. Your turn my Little Reaper! Come here!"

Ophelia dived onto Luna, taking her in her arms and crashing to the ground. The larger woman rolled with Luna embedded into her body accepting her demise by smothering.

"I can't say I dislike the hugs, but what are you doing here Sis?" Stella asked again. Ophelia smiling more and more while refusing to release Luna.

"I came here to see you guys, dummy. It took you forever to get here, and I almost didn't recognise you in those outfits. Who is this pretty boy?" Ophelia finally returned to her feet, but still holding her prey at her side.

Zeke couldn't make eye contact at the start of his answer but forced himself after turning red again. "My name is Zeke Mups. My family helps organise the tournaments and run the arena, but I recently became a fighter myself. Today I was showing Miss Ashe around because she has an interest in fighting, and seemed to believed that they know you. It looks like she was right."

"Oh. You are the guy they talk about. Yikes. And Ashe?" Ophelia's face twisted. "No matter. I am glad you brought them to me." She slapped him on the shoulder. "Is everyone here too?"

"They are over on Tirel Street right now, but I am not sure where my leader is," Stella answered.

"You guys still plan on fighting for the same stuff back home?" Ophelia asked and Stella nodded. "Okay, well, wait for me out front. I just have to organise something, and then we will meet the others."

***

"Olivia would kill me when she finds out that I was coming, but I just upped and left." Ophelia said, taking the last bite of her apple pie and placing a cigarette in her mouth. "Lyon and Nod said they would hold stuff over while I was gone. I considered bringing Olivia really, but the village is in a bit hectic so she would be busy, and I wasn't sure how long I would be gone."

"That is a lot. Lyon in the village?" Stella stopped walking to notice Ophelia had stopped a random man for a lighter, but no luck.

"Yea. List and Lynn have been coming by the orphanage a ton since then. Other Treble kids and actually most kids from the village come over. We function as a fully open school now as well, in one of the new buildings. Oh, the place is huge now. I forgot to mention that. Mary, the official you guys met definitely kept her word. We are doing great."

"That warms my heart. I am so glad." The Ice Queen paused to see The Huntress stopped again with the same mission. Mission failed. "What is going on with Evergreen? Is the transition to kingdom even worse than we thought?"

"Oh shit, I forgot to mention that in my letters. We can't become a kingdom right now." Ophelia stopped one more person before putting her cigarette away in dismay. "There is some revolutionary or something so that has been causing trouble in the empire recently. Michael or something, but the empire says that we can't be trusted right now. They sent the military over and changed up the town a bit. We have been fighting back for our old rights, but it's tricky. And it was just after you guys helped us take back the place."

"You sure it was okay to leave?" Stella asked. Luna stopped this time after a large fluffy dog placed its front paws on her shoulders and attacked her with her tongue. She rubbed its belly before the owner pulled it away and apologised. "What's going on?"

"I still can't get used to seeing that...It was for you all." Ophelia took a cigarette halfway out the pack before tapping it back in. "Tana told me what happened in a letter. I never had someone taken from me like that. In front of my eyes. I wanted to be here for you. For you all. It's what big sisters do." Luna took her hand. Stella bumped her shoulder with hers. Ophelia raised her arm and dropped it on Stella's opposite shoulder.

"Thank you very much, Sis," Stella said.

"I had to. But you guys took forever! I hitched a ride here and been in Tells for a bit over a month. I would have left in a couple more weeks."

"I am sorry. Jack hasn't really been the same since. I don't blame him, or maybe I do, I just don't like how shaken everyone is. We have changed. I want to be strong like you! I want to be stronger and be there for all of them, but I am not sure what to do."

"I am sure you are doing it already Stells. You guys aren't push overs. I mean you took a kingdom and look at you guys now. Changing your ledgers to have new names and registered outfits is a feat that is unheard of. It takes a team of great people to do that, and you know that just as well as I do. You guys are strong...I get it though. I really never been through something like that."

"Thanks again Sis. Seeing you should help everyone. Tana is going to freak out."

"I can't wait."

***

"He knew who I was, and he was crazy strong. I don't know what to do," Jack said. Stella, Ophelia and Luna approached unnoticed after their hour long walk and talk.

"Our disguises aren't the best for those that know us." Tana wore worry. "You still wear a headband with Tiger. Lande still wears her hairpin and look at this moustache. If they see any of you together then I am sure they will figure it out."

"You think he is faster than me?" Tenny asked, but Jack kept his eyes on Ace. A soft petting of his fur distracted the creature.

"I don't think it is that big of a deal if an outlaw sees us." Ace was busy behind a grill. Tossing cheese at a pile of meat that Tana handed him. "When someone is that strong, then they would have taken you if they wanted to."

"I had a friend that knew someone named Ori from the North," Ophelia said. Everyone's heads turned. Jack smiled from ear to ear, still frozen with the spoon of sauce hovering the hoagie roll. Tana rushed from behind the counter, a single waterdrop left on the floor where she stood. Ace instructed King to place the last pile of meat on the bread when ready. Tenny joined Jack on his shoulder. He walked around the counter to his friend wrapped around his other friend. "Ori was the prettiest girl in a certain village around Nixina. She took my friend's crush when they were 11."

"Shut up! What are you doing here?" Tana's head buried in Ophelia's chest. Her grip was deadly tight. Stella thought it could have been Tana's strongest combat weapon.

Ophelia kissed her forehead before prying off her grip. "I came for you guys, but I have something I really need to do right now."

Tana looked at her in surprise, but Ophelia's gaze wasn't on her. It was fixated on their cook smiling and waving at their surprise friend. Tana didn't like the look on Ophelia's face. Stella didn't either. Ace adverted his eyes and dropped his hands when she got closer.

She grabbed his shirt and pulled him forward directly into her fist. The contact resounded through the street. Enough to turn a few heads, and that was enough to turn more until a small circled quickly formed at the woman grunting through massive punches to the face of a black-haired victim. His head just twisting and returning for the other, his friends wincing through it. Wincing, but watching. Soji and Yuki forced their way through the crowd and rushed forward to aid, but Tana's raised palm stopped them. Tears in her eyes and her sight fell to her feet.

Ophelia's loaded, bloodied fist trembled and halted after the one too many Stella guessed. "I wish these hurt you. I know this can't hurt you! I punch and punch, but it can't hurt you because you are too fucking strong!" Ophelia grabbed his shirt with the other hand now.

"Look at me!" She shrieked. Ace turned his head to face her. Tears in her eyes caused one to fall from his. His bottom lip rose under his moustache as he took her hand holding his shirt. "Why did you let it happen? You are so strong. I trusted my best friend with you. My best friend! What if it was them?"

Her voice caused King to hide behind Tana. She spun and hugged him. He wasn't sure what to do, his hands not confident enough to reassure her, but Luna gripped onto both of them. Stella and Jack just watching with Tenny still on his shoulder. Tenny's mismatched eyes zoned in on his friend.

"You are selfish. We are teachers! We look after kids! It isn't about us! Your promise not to fight did this! I don't understand your past, but it doesn't matter. When you become a teacher then you leave all that behind! This is about them! You do everything for them! Sacrifice! They didn't ask for your burdens, that is for you to bear, and you dragged them down with it!" Ophelia loaded her fist again. It stayed in the air, held there by the silence. Mummers in the crowd and grills sizzling was the only noise travelling through the heated air. The subtle silence cut with the impact of Ace falling to his knees. Ophelia's first turned into an open hand that ran through the hair of the fallen man. She took to her knees and pulled him in.

"I know how much it hurts. I know that a teacher can never forgive himself for failing their students, but you have to. It is your burden to bear, and you can't let that affect you being there for them. You are too strong to let this be the end, and you are too strong for this to happen again. Am I right?"

"Y-yes," Ace muttered.

"Good. Promise me that you won't let it happen again."

"I won't. I am sorry Ophelia. I let everyone down. I am so sorry." Tears were fully flowing from their teacher. Stella found it hard to swallow. Jack's fingers dug into his palm, and a tear still rolled down his cheek.

"Promise me."

"I promise."

"Okay. Good, brother. You know I love you all, and you are too strong for others sometimes, but I am here as your big sister to put you in your place. Now go back to being my lovable friend that is going to bless me with a light to my cigarette. Please, forgive me for being rough and go back to being my friend I missed for months. You all have been through something terrible, and I am here for you guys."

***

An hour passed and the sun was hidden behind the walls. Not enough to invite the stars, but the purples had already stretched their limbs against the oranges barely floating in sight. Ophelia and Stella explained their adventures, and Jack did with his.

Soji and Yuki had closed up their shop and joined the team with many questions and a bottle of rum. Soji's charisma stole the show though as he explained how great Ace did with a knock off version of his sandwich. Ground beef instead of steak. Ace blushed. The red-hair chef explained the sharing of his contract to sell food in the arena for the Null Tournament and share of profits. Stella was relieved knowing the difficulty of entering.

"But that would have to be following week. Since registration is closed." Yuki reminded them.

"Yea, but he should have been here by now." Ophelia looked around. She passed Ace a drag before picking up another sandwich. "Ah, I think I see him stuffing his face. I should have known he would be carried away. Yo! Boff!"

"Boff?" Tana questioned.

An older man with combed back silver hair and thick eyebrows to match, walked over. His clean-shaven face was dirtied by taco components, the same components trying to leave his mouth as he began talking. "You know I can't walk around here without being ambushed, and you know I barely get time to eat on days like this."

"This is Mo Boff. He is the commentator for the arena. You remember his brother, right?" Ophelia introduced.

"Ah that pipsqueak wishes he could do what I do, with his pretending over at Evergreen. Huh, 'The time is now' more like 'time to go home' am I right." The old man was the only one laughing at his joke. Yuki's eyes were wide, and they looked to be sparkling. "But he wasn't wrong about this one. Miss Tana, or what is the name?"

"You know me? It is Ori, Mr. Boff."

"Just call me, Mo." The old man took Tana's hand and kissed it, leaving behind a grain of shredded cheese.

"Damnit, you pervy old man. Just tell them the good news." Ophelia dragged him by the collar.

"Fine. I can get you guys entered in the tournament tomorrow, and of course the ball tonight. I just have the condition that Ori becomes the ring girl for this week's event."

"Ring girl?" Tana asked.

"Yea, you walk out and introduce the fighters with me. It is just about the outfit and some theatrics. There will be other girls, but Bo was right about you. I think you will steal some hearts indeed."

"You don't have to if you don't want to Ori. We can wait till the next qualifier," Jack said. She turned to Ace and then Ophelia.

"But then Ophelia's hard work would be for nothing." Tana worried.

"Nah, it's okay. I just made friends with Mo when I got here and prepped him in case something like this happened."

"If you are okay with it, then I want to enter tomorrow, Tana. I want to win tokens for Ophelia to help the orphanage," Stella said. Jack's eyes widened. "Sorry, I mean Ori."

"We can do that. I would like to help the orphanage again." Tana smiled. "Can you help us then Mo."

"I would be glad to." Mo went for her hand again, but Ophelia took him by the collar. "You too, Jack. I am grateful for what you did for my brother's village. He couldn't stop talking about it in letters. Thank you for that."

"It was no problem. I was glad to as well. Mr. Mo, what is this ball thing?" Jack asked.

"It is a party for patrons to look at competitors in the tournament. There is free food and drink, and sponsors look at fighters and decide on who they want to bet on. They can also pay certain fighters a purse and give them benefits to fight in other events. It starts in about an hour and doesn't go too late even though the fighting starts at 3 tomorrow."

"Are we going?" Jack asked.

"I'm no—" Ace started.

"Of course, we are!" Tana yelled. "We have to! We need clothes. We need clothes!"

Stella couldn't help but smile at Tana's enthusiasm. She looked over to see Jack wearing the same expression as King, who was using his usual expression. She couldn't blame them; she was sure they never been to a ball.

"I have a tailor that has some premade stuff. He can make some alterations for a little extra token," Mo said. "I'll cover the cost as a thank you, and as a sort of sponsor. I know what you guys are capable of."

"Okay it is settled. Tana, go ahead, and I will meet you guys soon," Ace said. "Yuki, Tenny, let's go for a walk."

Yuki's face lit up. Everyone and especially Soji was confused. Jack looked at his mentor leaving and looked around at his friends. It was a productive first day in Tells, and he felt like it was going to end with a nightmare.

What do you do at a ball?

0